Eighteen Pieces of Dialogue and Nine Points of View

Title:  Alter-Eighteen:  Eighteen Pieces of Dialogue and Nine Points of View
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  NC-17, implied violence and adult topics
Disclaimer:  I own the kids, but no one else.
Archive:  WRFA, Mutual Admiration, and Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask and
I'll say yes!
Feedback:  Please?  I'd love it if you did!  Good, bad, and ugly welcome..
Summary:  Alternative version of events in the movie and the Eighteen Series.  We drop in on a certain number of conversations, then take a turn at seeing life through eighteen eyes and nine different filters. 
Comments:  This is the last of the alter-eighteens, folks.  I think we have arrived at 36, and if we haven't, there's a few guest-authored ones in the works that should round that number out and/or give you a bonus story or two ;)  Thanks to all who have sent me feedback on these - I've loved doing them.  I'll warn you that this story isn't at all light, and contains references to non-consensual sexual activity and a character death (no, not Logan or Rogue, but no one you'll be happy to see go.) plus makes reference to certain religious/spiritual beliefs that may not be your own.  

---------------------------------------------------------



"I, uh, wanted to tell you somethin'."

"If it's about you and Jean, I already know.  Scott told me last night."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"Well, uh, look, I know you don't like her that much and all, but - "

"I thought you loved me."

"Not - not like that, Marie.  I'm sorry, but I don't.  I just don't."

"That's not what the part of you that's permanently stuck in my head says."

"Well, I dunno 'bout that, I can only tell ya what I'm thinkin' out here.  Look, you don't hafta be upset about it.  Plenty of guys are gonna love you.  And we're still - we're always gonna be close, always.  I'll always take care of you.  I haven't forgotten my promise there.  That's not gonna change.  It's just that - well, things can't be like that between us."

"Why?"

"They just can't."

"Fine."

"Marie, come on, don't - "

"Leave me alone, Logan.  And here - take these back."

"You don't hafta give the tags back.  I'm not sayin' that you and me - "

"You're telling me that you don't love me and that we'll never be together that way.  Take them back.  I don't want them now."

"Look, I know you're mad and a little hurt, but - "

"Leave me alone, OK?  I'm going to - I'm just going to start crying any minute now and I'd really like for you to take these and leave me alone."

"All right.  All right, kid."





"How'd she take it?"

"Bad."

"I'm sorry to hear that.  I know how attached she is to you, Logan, but - but she'll get over it.  She will."

"I dunno, Jeannie.  She looked real hurt."

"I'm sure you did the best you could.  I'm sure you broke it to her gently."

"I didn't break it to her at all, Scooter talked to her last night."

"Oh."

"Yeah.  I'm sure he wasn't calm about it.  I should fuckin' go kick his ass for that."

"He's hurting enough, Logan.  It's - it's even harder on him than it is Rogue.  We were engaged, and he loved me very much."

"And you loved him."

"Not as much as I love you, you know that.  Come on now, let's go to bed."





"How are you feeling, Rogue?"

"Crappy.  What can I do for you, Professor?"

"I have a question for you.  I realize that since Logan and Jean made their relationship public, it has been difficult for you, and the question I need to ask is not an easy one.  I want you to know that I am not expecting any particular answer from you, and want only for you to do what is right, what you feel is right."

"You don't have to coddle me.  It's been four months, and I am - I still feel pretty hideous, but I am getting over it."

"Very well, then.  I have become aware in the past few days of an anti-mutant group called the Friends of Humanity.  I have also become aware that they are building a lab of sorts, designed for experimentation on captured mutants."

"I thought the government did that."

"Well, it appears as though this group of bigots is showing some entrepreneurial spirit.  As I understand it, it is their goal to figure out how to breed and develop 'slave mutants,' for sale to the highest bidder."

"What do you mean?  Are you - are you talking about white slavery?"

"I'm talking about mutant slavery."

"Good Lord."

"Yes.  It appears that they have the collaboration of some mutants, and more than a few scientists.  They have developed a device that can short-circuit mutant powers, a collar of sorts.  There are also rumors that telepaths have been used to control mutants and force breeding among them.  Rogue, what I am proposing is that we send a group of the recent graduates to investigate and gather recognizance on these facilities."

"Why - why not the x-men?"

"Frankly, because they are too valuable to risk capture.  I hate to be that cold and calculating about it, but it's true.  Gathering intelligence needs to be conducted in small teams, perhaps pairs, in order to avoid detection.  That also makes the scouts selected for this mission very vulnerable to capture.  If we send the x-men, there may well be none of us left with the battle experience and abilities to take down these labs."

"God.."

"What I am asking, Rogue, is whether you would consider volunteering for a mission of this nature.  This will be kept extremely quiet.  You will have to operate independently in a very dangerous situation.  You will receive training in covert operations, conducted by me personally prior to assignment, however, none of the teams will be informed of the overall activities, or even of who the other participants are.  You will work with your partner or team and will not share any information outside that group.  Not even the x-men will know."

"You're anticipating that some of us - maybe a lot of us - will be captured, aren't you?"

"Yes.  If you wish to know what may await you in that event, in more detail than I have offered, I can arrange for you to talk to the person who gave me this information."

"The big blue guy, right?"

"Ah.."

"Come on, Professor.  He's a recent addition.  He's an obvious mutant.  He's some kind of scientist or doctor, right?  And he walks around looking really sad all the time."

"You're quite perceptive, Rogue."

"A good skill to have on a mission like this."

"Does that mean you are considering volunteering?"

"Yeah.  I'll do it."

"Don't agree now.  Speak with Hank first.  Take your time and give it some thought.  This is not the sort of thing one should make a rash decision about."

"I'll do it, Professor.  But I would like to speak to Hank.  I'd like to know what I could be getting into."

"Of course.  And thank you, Rogue.  Thank you."





"Hi."

"Hello."

"I'm Rogue."

"Ah, yes, I am Doctor Henry McCoy.  Pleased to make your acquaintance.  The Professor said that you would be dropping by."

"And he let you know what I wanted to talk with you about, right?"

"Yes."

"Um, I know it's going to be hard to talk about this kind of thing, but - but whatever you'd like to share - or - or can share - 'like' is a bad word there - uh, what I mean is whatever you can share will be fine with me."

"Yes.  Well, I, ah, appreciate that."

"Sure.  And if I ask a question or say something that comes out the wrong way, please just know I don't mean to hurt you or offend you or anything." 

"Of course."

"Great.  Uh, wherever you'd like to start."





"I apologize."

"It's OK. Hey, it's been a long time since someone cried on my shoulder.  I almost missed it."

"I - I - am sorry for - for - "

"Don't be.  It's OK.  Just let it out.  I'll be careful of my skin - the skin on my neck and face.  You're safe."

"I am not concerned about that."

"Well, you should be.  It could kill you.  But you do have the fur and after what you've been through.well, I can see how not a lot would scare you after that."

"Thank you."

"It's my pleasure.  Honestly.  I like - I like just being close to people sometimes, and I hardly ever get that, you know, because of my mutation.  I'm sad and so, so sorry for what happened to you, but, you know, if you ever need a hug or something, I'd be happy to provide."

"Yes.  Well, ah, thank you, Rogue.  I, ah, shall try to gather myself.  I apologize once again for - "

"Hush, sugar.  It's all right."






"'Allo dere.  Wot you doin' inside on a beautiful day like dis, hmm, chere?"

"Same thing you are.  Studying for our mission.  And I'd really like it if you called me Rogue or even 'partner' instead of 'chere', OK?"

"Aw, but dat's how Remy t'ink of you, non?  Dear one."

"I'm not going out with you.  We have to work together."

"Vraiment."

"So you - you just go find someone else to call 'chere,' OK?"

"Ah, non.  Not OK."

"Look, romance and me - well we just don't mix, OK?  There's a reason God gave me poison skin."

"Chere, dat not be true.  You meant to be loved sure as anyone dis t'ief ever met."

"You're full of it, you know that?"

"Heh.  You startin' to like Remy."

"No, I'm not."

"Whatever you say, chere."





"Hey, Logan."

"Hey, kid.  How - how are ya?  I haven't talked to you in ages.  I kinda thought you were avoidin' me."

"I pretty much was."

"Oh."

"But I wanted to talk to you if you have a minute now."

"Yeah, sure.  Yeah, yeah, let's talk."

"Um.."

"Look, don't cry, OK?  If you're still mad, just go on and yell at me.  I - I just don't like us not talkin'.  I really don't like that, Marie."

".."

"Or - or cry if you wanna.  Um, whatever you feel like."

"Sorry.  Sorry.  I didn't mean to do that.  Sorry."

"It's OK.  It's OK, kid."

"I just wanted to tell you a few things."

"Go on, go ahead."

"I, um, I'm happy for you.  I want you to know that.  I'm glad you found Jean and that you love her and she loves you back.  I'm glad you have that in your life."

"That's real nice of you to say."

"I'm not just saying it, I mean it.  And she's been - she's been very considerate of me.  I appreciate that.  Could you - would you tell her I said that?"

"Sure, but you could tell her yourself, she'll be back from that conference tomorrow, you know, and I know she'd like to hear - "

"Could you just tell her?"

"Sure."

"I, uh, also wanted to say that I'm not mad, not about anything.  I'm very grateful to you for what you've done for me.  I want you to know that."

"You know I'd do anythin' for ya, kid.  Anythin' at all."

"I know.  Logan, if I ever - if I ever made you feel like I didn't love you - really, really love you - just forget those times, OK? 

"Marie?"

"Just promise me you'll forget those times."

"Sure, but - "

"Good.  Good.  That's all I really wanted to say.  I, uh, I should go now."

"Hey, wait - is somethin' wrong?  'Cause - "

"No.  No.  I'm just a little emotional, that's all.  You know me, emotional Rogue.  Don't worry about it."

"Marie, somethin' is wrong - you smell off.  What's - "

"You know what?  I've really got to go.  See you - see you later, OK?"

"Marie - "

"Goodbye, Logan."






"You havin' second t'oughts, chere?"

"No."

"Remy gonna look out for you.  Remy gonna take care of you good.  Not'in to worry 'bout dere."

"We're a team.  We'll get the job done.  This isn't the Look-Out-For-Rogue mission."

"You right, chere.  Dat's wot we gotta be focusin' on now.  We get de job done and come back here safe.  No worries."

"Right."

"Den you fall in love wit' Remy."

"Remy"

"Den we have a big ol' weddin' and den some babies."

"I told you, I don't want to date you."

"Ah, but you never tell Remy you don' care for him."

"Remy, don't do this now, OK?  Let's just - I just have to get through this before anything else."

"So you sayin' dat maybe dere is some love in your heart for dis t'ief?"

"Maybe."

"Ah, dat bring a song to my soul, chere."

"But it doesn't necessarily mean I want to do anything about it and we have to get through the mission first."

"Right."

"Right."





"Whaddya mean, on vacation?  What'd she do, go to Alaska or somethin'?"

"I don't know.  I just asked the Professor if he'd seen her around, and he mentioned that she said she was going on vacation.  He said that was all he knew."

"But she didn't pack nothin' - I went to her room and mosta her clothes and all are still there.  She woulda said somethin' to me if - "

"What?"

"She came to talk to me last night.  Was cryin' up a storm too.  Maybe - maybe she moved out, maybe it's not just a vacation.  Maybe that was her way of tryin' to say goodbye."

"Oh.  Well, ah, I'm sure she's fine."

"I gotta find her."

"Logan - "

"No.  No, Jeannie, I don't wanna hear it.  It ain't bein' overprotective of her. I gotta know for sure where she is and that she's OK."

"I'm just saying that you're not helping her move on with her life by following her around all the time."

"I toldya that she's never caught on that I've been followin' her.  She didn't say nothin' about it last night."

"Logan, have you considered the possibility that she knows but doesn't want to discuss it with you.  It's - it's not fair to her to send signals that you might be interested in her.  It's not fair to her to play with her emotions that way.  Not to mention that I hate it when you get up and go all of a sudden, it's just - "

"Look, I gotta know she's OK.  Maybe - maybe Chuck can find her with cerebro or somethin'.  I gotta know for sure that she's OK.  I couldn't stand it if somethin' happened to her."

"All right.  All right.  I'll go with you to talk to the Professor."





"Honestly, 'Ro, I don't know what to do anymore.  He doesn't sleep, he doesn't eat.  He goes out for days at a time, and when he comes back"

"I am sorry, Jean."

"I knew he was attached to her, and God knows I've bent over backwards to try to be nice to her, to try to get her to accept our relationship, but I'm starting to think that maybe she's not the one who needed to let go.  I swear, it's almost to the level of obsession with him.  And now that I think about it, it was that way even before she disappeared.  You know, part of me thinks that he's jealous, actually jealous.  He's made so much of the fact that Remy decided to go to New Orleans to visit his family at around the same time.  I could almost swear that he's jealous."

"But he has told you that he is in love with you, has he not?"

"Yes.  Well - well, no.  He doesn't - Logan isn't the kind of man who would say those words, but I think he does.  He acts like he does."

"And you haven't - "

"Looked into his mind?  Of course not!  I've even tried to ignore it when he's projecting.  That's not how I am, you know that."

"Yes, of course.  Forgive me."

"What should I do?  I mean, it's been three weeks.  He can't go on like this forever, right?"

"There's still no sign of her on cerebro?"

"None.  And God knows that Logan pesters the Professor to look day and night.  I don't think he'll stop until he finds her.  'Ro, you don't think - you don't think Rogue did this on purpose, do you?  As some kind of stunt to get attention?  She could've drawn on Magneto to help her block detection by cerebro and - "

"I would find it very hard to believe that she would do such a thing."

"You're right.  You're right.  She's accepted my relationship with Logan, I think.  I don't think she'd try to break us up.  But if it's not that, then what the heck is going on with her?"





"Chere?  Say someti'ng, oui?  Remy knows dat - dat t'ings be bad, real bad, but, please, please say somet'ing."

"Don't!  Don't touch me!"

"Please, chere, Remy's - Remy's so sorry.  Remy never wanna hurt you, never.  But, chere, de telepath jus' keeps makin' Remy - "

"Don't come near me, and don't ever call me 'chere' again!"

"Sorry.  Sorry.  Tell Remy - tell Remy wot to do."

"Just stay away.  And - and hand me some of my clothes back."

"You bleedin', ch - Rogue."

"I know that."

"Maybe Remy can pick de lock on the de collar an' - "

"We tried that and I don't want you anywhere near me."

"You hurt, Rogue.  Lemme help you, non?  Remy's in control now, I promise, an' de second  anyone goes pokin' in Remy's brain, den I - "

"Then you'll rape me all over again.  No thanks.  Just stay over there.  At least I'll have a second or two to - to brace myself.  Just stay over there."

"Rogue, you gonna bleed to deat' if we don' - "

"Right now, that doesn't seem like such a bad option."

"Sorry.  So sorry.  Please, Remy never mean to - "

"I know.  Look, I know, OK?  I know it's not really your fault, but - but I can't - "

"It's all right.  Let - let Remy come over dere and look at you, hmm?  You hurtin'.  Please, jus' lemme do dat, 'cause you gonna be in bad shape in a minute.  Remy knows - Remy knows you afraid, but please, please lemme help you."

"O-OK."

"Sorry, so sorry, chere."

"I am too.  I didn't mean to yell like that at you.  I didn't.  I'm just so - I'm really scared and that was - what they made you do was really unpleasant.  Even if you don't remember it, I'll - I'm just scared."

"Dat's all right.  You gonna be all right.  Remy gonna - we gotta find a way outta dis.  We will."

"The Professor and the x-men - I don't think our telepathic messages got out."

"De Professor will know somet'ing's wrong when we don't report in.  Dey will come."

"That won't be for - for almost another whole day."

"Oui."





"Cyclops and Storm will enter the building here.  Jean, you will wait in the blackbird to provide any needed medical assistance.   Logan, you - you will remain here, at the mansion."

"I still don't get that one, Chuck.  If you're lookin' to take down a whole lab, you could use me in action."

"I'm afraid you will simply have to trust my judgment on this one.  Are we ready, then?"

"Yes, sir.  Let's go, people."




"Rogue?  Chere?  Please open your eyes.  Please come back to Remy."

"S-sabretooth."

"I know.  I know.  Remy so sorry, chere.  But you gonna be OK now, you wit' me again, chere, and you gonna be OK."

"He - he - "

"I know.  Don' try talkin'.  Jus' rest."

"I think I killed him.  The collar - it shorted out.  And I'm - I'm healing."

"Oui.  But he not dead.  He right across de way, in dat cell, and it looks like he still be breathin'."

"Oh, God.."

"Don' worry, I don' t'ink dey try dat again.  Dey don' want us dead, chere, an' dey definitely wanna keep you alive long enough to carry a baby.  Don' worry."

"I tried not to - I tried not to take all of him in.  I tried to push some of his powers back out to him.  My skin - I tried to push out."

"Mighta worked.  But you shouldn't worry 'bout him, chere.  He not be wort' dat."

"No one deserves to die here.  Not even him."

"You jus' rest."




"Logan."

"Hey, you're back.  Listen, I've been thinkin'.  What if she didn't go to Alaska like we've all been thinkin'?  What if she headed south, back home to Mississippi?  Coupla weeks lookin' around down there, and - "

"Logan, sit - sit down."

"What?  Ya know, you smell kinda funny - did - did everythin' go OK on the mission?"

"No."

"What happened?"

"Sit down, please, and try to stay calm while I tell you this."

"Did somethin' happen to 'Ro or Scooter?"

"No.  Logan, just - just let me get this out, OK?  We, ah, found Rogue.  She was at the lab we raided and not in the best shape."

"What?!"

"But she's OK, she'll be fine.  She got some healing powers somewhere along the way.  She's - "

"Where is she?"

"In the medlab, but -"

"I gotta go.  Move."

"You can't see her right now, Logan.  Hank - Hank is with her.  She didn't want me and I get the feeling that there's more going on than we know.  The Professor - he's been very secretive about everything, and - "

"Move!"

"Oooof!  Logan!"




"The effects of your skin on the fetus could be unpredictable, as could the new healing mutation.  Not to mention the level of stress you've been under.  It's still very early in the pregnancy, and I believe it is an option you should consider."

"I don't think I can do it, Hank.  I just - it's a baby, you know?  I can't do that."

"I understand." 

"What - what should I do now?"

"I will prescribe some special vitamins for you.  You must decide what - what to share with Remy.  I could perform a DNA test when the child is born to determine parentage, but from what you've shared with me, there is a strong chance that either man could be - "

"I don't think I'll want to know.  Is that - is that awful?  I don't think I'll want to know."

"Of course it's not awful.  I am so, so deeply sorry for what you have been through, Rogue.  If there is any way in which I can be of comfort or assistance, please allow me to do so."

"I need your help on a few things, Hank.  I don't want - I'll talk with Remy, but I don't want anyone else, not even the Professor to know I'm pregnant, all right?  And I don't want anyone but the Professor to know what happened.  I just - I'm not ashamed or anything, I know it wasn't my fault that things were done to me, but it's private, and not for anyone else to know, OK?"

"Of course.  And as far as the pregnancy - Doctor/patient confidentiality rules would prohibit me from sharing that information, even with the Professor."

"And Jean.  I know she's another doctor, but I don't want her to know."

"You have my word."

"Thank you.  Thanks, Hank.  And thanks for - for taking care of me and cleaning me up and all.  I really - I don't know if I could've handled it if it was anyone else."

"You are quite welcome.  Remy is - he is waiting outside to see you."

"Give me a few minutes, OK?  I need to get myself together a little."

"Of course, I will be - "

"And I said get the hell outta my way, dammit!  Marie?  God, what the hell happened?  Are you hurt?  What happened, kid?"

"Sir, I must implore you to - "

"It's all right, Hank.  Could you just - just stay here while I talk to Logan a second?  It's all right.  Everybody - Scott - just - just let us have a second, OK?"

"Are you OK, kid?"

"I'm just fine.  Hank's just giving me the once-over to be sure.  I picked up some healing powers a little while ago, and I'm - I'm fine."

"What the hell happened?  Where didya go?  I've been lookin' for ya and worried sick, goddammit!"

"We can talk later, OK?  I need to rest now, right, Hank?"

"That is correct.  Rogue very much needs to rest now."

"See?  So we'll - we'll talk later."

"I ain't goin' nowhere.  You rest or whatever, but there's no way you're gettin' outta my sight."

"Please, Logan?  I'm asking you - please?  I just need some time alone and some time to rest."

"No fuckin' way.  Where the hell have you been, anyway?  Vacation - there's no - "

"Look, I don't want to be harsh, but I need you to leave.  Now.  I want to be alone."

"Marie - "

"Now, Logan."

"Kid, I - I was worried, and you're hurt and - "

"And I'm not yours to look after any more.  You're off the hook for that obligation.  Now, I want you to go."

"Marie - "

"Look, I can't cater to your emotional needs right now.  I'm sure you'd love to yell and break things and ask me all kinds of questions and I'm sure you'd feel a lot better if you did, but *I'm* the one who's hurt, and *I* need some time alone, got it?"

"Yeah.  I - I got it."

"Then leave.  We'll talk later, but go now."

"But I - OK.  OK, Marie."

"Whew."

"Ah, Rogue?  I believe he is right outside the door.  Do you wish me to have him removed?"

"God, I just want some privacy, can't I even get that?  That's not much to ask, is it?  I'm not asking for anyone to take care of me or love me or say that it's all going to be all right - I just want to be left the hell alone for a little while.  Christ!"

"He's - he's moving.  He most probably heard that."  





"I think you should go back to New Orleans.  You're - you need the support of your family and friends right now.  If you have to look at me every day and watch my stomach get bigger and bigger - well, that'll just be a reminder.  I'm fine here, and I have a good support system.  Hank's going to help me with the baby, and if - if it turns out to be yours, I'll let you know and we'll go from there."

"Remy don' wanna leave you."

"Yes, yes you do, sugar.  You just don't think that it's the right thing to do.  You feel guilty.  But you listen to me now, what happened - it wasn't your fault.  They made you do those things to me.  I know you never would've done those things.  They made you.  It's not your fault."

"You a strong woman, you know dat?"

"Yeah, yeah.  I'm going to go throw myself on my bed and cry for the next week in a minute here."

"Chere - "

"Go.  I mean it. You need that.  And I'll be OK here.  I promise, Remy - I'll call you if I need you."

"Remy's heart is broken, chere.  We lost - we lost any chance dat we ever mighta had for you and me, non?"

"I'm sorry."

"Remy too." 





"Hank?"

"I am so very, very sorry.  I - I - "

"Hank, just tell me - was it - was it my skin that made me miscarry?"

"I do not know.  I, ah, it is possible, yes, but many other factors may - "

"Oh, God."

"I am so sorry.  But you - you are doing well.  Your, ah, uterus is responding well after the D&C.  The bleeding has already stopped, thanks to your healing factor."

"Could you tell what it was?"

"The factors causing the miscarriage could be any of a number of things."

"No - could you tell if it was a boy or a girl?"

"No.  No.  At this early stage it is too small to - to determine.  You were only seven weeks along, and the miscarriage.  I cannot determine that, no."

"I think it was a little girl."

"Oh, Rogue"

"Is there anything - anything to bury?"

"Yes, yes we could - there is some tissue - we could bury her if you like."

"I'd like that.  Could you do it?  Would you take care of that for me, please?  And maybe - maybe bury her on the grounds, under that tree that my window looks out over.  That way I could keep an eye on her, you know?  I could watch over her."

"Of course.  I will - I will see to it."

"Thank you, Hank.  You're a good friend.  I appreciate that."

"Of course.  I am just so very sorry, Rogue."




"Hey."

"Hey.  Uh, hey.  How're you doin'?"

"I'm fine.  Do you have a minute to talk?"

"Yeah.  I, uh, you were in the medlab last week and Hank wouldn't say anythin' except that you were gonna be fine.  You're OK, right?"

"Yeah.  There's not a single thing physically wrong with me."

"Good.  Look, I've been doin' some thinkin' 'bout what you said when they brought you in and I wanted to say I'm sorry for bargin' in and yellin' like that."

"Well, I'm sorry for yelling back.  I know you were probably a little worried."

"Worried?  Hell yeah, I was pretty much scared shitless.  Didn't know where ya were.  Didn't know what happened.  Chuck - he explained that he sent ya on a mission, one he kept quiet.  I don't wantcha doin' that anymore, Marie, I don't.  You - maybe you got lucky this time and weren't hurt too bad, but you shoulda seen some of the other muties they brought in - had all kindsa bad things done to them.  I don't wantcha to do that anymore."

"Logan, I came to tell you that I'm joining the main team, at least for a little while."

"What?  No, no, you can't do that, Marie.  It's dangerous."

"I know that."

"Is this - this is somehow all about Jeannie and me, right?  You're still mad about that, ain'tcha, and this is a way to get back at me, or to make me understand how much I hurt ya, or to make me feel bad about - "

"OK.  I can see that there's not going to be the rational conversation with a civilized person I'd hoped for here.  Logan, listen to me, and really try to hear what I'm about to say, all right?  Not everything is all about you.  My life doesn't revolve entirely around what you do.  Things - things happen that have nothing to do with you, don't you understand that?"

"I know I hurt ya, but - "

"Yes, you did.  But I don't run my life around that.  I understand that you don't love me, not like that, and that you love Jean, and I have been running my life accordingly, OK?  It's disappointing, and it hurt, but it's not something that is the basis of every action in my life.  I wish you could just understand that, Logan, I really do.  Look, I've got to go."

"Marie, wait.  Wait.  I said the wrong things there.  Just - just talk to me, OK?"

"And say what, Logan?  I don't have anything to say to you anymore.  I honestly can't think of a single thing."

"You usedta talk to me all the time, just - just about stuff, nothin'.  I miss that."

"I'm not that way anymore.  That Marie - she's just - she's gone."

"Because I hurt you?"

"God!  No!  Would you get that through your thick, metal-enhanced skull?  Not everything is about you!"

"Right.  Right."

"Sorry.  I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have yelled.  I just - my emotions are running a little high these days, that's all, OK?  I apologize.  And I really should go.  I'll see you later, Logan."

"Yeah, later, OK?  Whenever.  Come - come talk to me again."




Gotta watch Marie.  Gotta watch Marie.  She's reckless, dammit, and she's gonna get into trouble if I'm not watchin' her. 

"Over here - I think there are still some alive over here!"

Goddamn doctors.  Buncha little kids in this lab, most of 'em burned alive.  I thought Marie was gonna cry there for a second when we first saw the bodies, but she didn't.  I dunno if that's good or bad.  The old Marie woulda cried. 

"Jean, the pillar - can you lift it?" 

"Yes, I think so.  Be - be careful, though."  It's been better between Jeannie and Marie lately.  I think goin' on missions, workin' together, that's made it better.  Me and Jeannie - that's not so good.  She's been talkin' about a weddin' and I've been puttin' her off.  Even if she ain't lookin' in my head, she's gotta figure what's up there.  I just don't feel right about it, marryin' her.  There's somethin' not right about it.

"I got him.  I got him, let's go."  Christ, that don't look like a kid at all - burned all over.  Looks like a - a big black and red lump.  These fuckers - we turn 'em over to the authorities, but I still say we should just kill 'em all.  Chuck, he's the one who's always sayin' we have to show the world we're better than they are, but I say fuck that. 

"God, Rogue, is he - "

"He's still breathing.  That means he's still alive.  Let's go!"




"Logan?"

"Yeah?"  I hate him, you know.  He stole Jean right out from under me and worse, he's stayed with her.  I was so sure it would all be over in a matter of weeks.  But it's been almost a year now.  Still, no one should have to hear this. 

"I need to talk to you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah.  Sit down.  We looked through the files and I have some news."

"Was there somethin' 'bout me in there?"

"Yes."  God, this is awful.  "Or rather, about your offspring."

"My offspring?  What the hell are you talkin' about?  I ain't got no kids."

"None that you knew of."  I'll just give that a minute to sink in.  It's pretty shocking to hear, and Logan - well, Logan's never been the brightest bulb to begin with.  No, stop thinking like that, Scott, you're better than that.  Now isn't the time to take satisfaction in Logan's faults.  "Your sperm was extracted, apparently while you were in captivity, and twelve embryos were implanted in various female mutants."

"Holy shit."  I have to admit, that does pretty much say it all.

"I'm sorry, but the records we found indicate that eleven of them died, most shortly after birth."

"God"  He looks shaken, seriously shaken.  "Wait - you said eleven.  Where's the twelfth one?"  I take that back about him not being the brightest bulb.  I'm not sure I would've caught that if I were in his emotional state. 

"I'm sorry, Logan, but the remaining child is the one Rogue brought out.  She and Hank are in there with him now, and so is Jean, but - but it doesn't look good."

"I gotta - I gotta go down there.  I - I - "  I don't think I've ever seen him look this devastated.  Not even when Rogue was missing.  "Thanks, Cyke."   








"It is dangerous."  Surely, she must realize that.  But from the expression on her face - well, it makes me think that my earlier fears that she joined the team and always undertook the riskiest missions because she was seeking the release or peace of death were well-founded. 

"I know that.  But what I'm asking is if it's possible."

"We don't know how your - your reversal with Sabretooth worked, we do not know if it would help the child or if you could convey only your healing power to it.  We also don't know how it would affect you.  After you did the reversal with Sabretooth, you were very weak and - "

"What the hell are you talkin' about?  Sabretooth?"  Wonderful, just wonderful.  Logan.  The man is incapable of calmness, and we need level heads at the moment.

"Not now, Logan.  Hank - do you think there's a chance, any chance, no matter how small, that it could work?  Because he's - if we don't do anything, he'll die, there's a one hundred percent chance of that."

"Yes, I see your point.  I - I suppose there is a small chance, a very insignificant - "

"Then let's do it."  God, please just watch over her and this child.  She is - I should have known she would be desperate to save a lab-created child.  She still mourns for her own lost child every day.  I should have known she would easily, even eagerly, risk death to save another one.  Please, just let her be all right, let her live through this.

"Let's do what?  What's goin' on?"  Logan's instincts must be screaming at the moment.  He's moving to put a hand on both Rogue and the child.  Scott - Scott must have told him the news. 

"Did you speak with Scott?"

"Yeah, blue.  Yeah, I did.  Is the kid - "

"He's not recovering, Logan.  Even if he received your healing factor, the burns cover more than ninety percent of his body and he is only - only approximately twelve months old.  I am very sorry, but we cannot - we cannot save him.  We are making him as comfortable as we can."

"It's a boy?"  Odd how parents always ask that, no matter the circumstances. 

"Yes."

"Logan, I might be able to help him, but it's risky.  I could - I could end up killing him with my skin or it might not work at all, but there's a chance - Hank and I think there's a chance that I can make my mutation flow in reverse and give him some of my healing power, some of the healing power I got from Sabretooth when I was in that lab."  Oh, dear, Logan looks about to lose it.  The points of his claws have emerged.  "Don't get mad about that now.  Your son needs you right now, and you need to make a decision.  Do you want me to touch him, to try to help him?"

"Marie."

"There's also a chance that attempting the reversal could kill Rogue - Marie.  She was in an extremely weakened state after her last attempt at this."  Logan should know that in order to make the decision, he must know it.  And my stars, what a decision to have to make.  His son, or Marie, the person he holds most dear in all his life - that is not a choice I would wish on anyone. 

"Oh, God."

"Logan, you have to decide.  I'm willing - I'm prepared to take the risk, completely.  But he's your son.  You have to be the one to decide."

"I can't - I can't lose ya, Marie.  I can't lose you, but I can't let him just die.  He's - he's my son, but  - oh, God."  Something - something tells me that that was an answer for Marie.

"It's OK."  It was, she's taking off her gloves.  She is going to try it.  Dear Lord, here we go.  "Logan, I never stopped loving you, you know.  Not for a second."  She's got such a peaceful look about her now, but the anguish on his face - dear God, please just let this work.  She's concentrating, focusing..there - there she's touching the child.  Let it work.  Let it work.  She's touching him so gently - just a feather-light stroke on his cheek, really. 

"Marie!"  Something's - something's happening.  Oh, my!  It's working - it's working - the child's burns are healing, but they appear to be transferring themselves to Marie.  My God, they are!  I can smell her skin burning.  She's - she's burning alive, right before us! 

"No, don't touch her!"  God only knows what would happen if Logan touched her skin now.  "Wait - just - just wait."  God help me, but I know Rogue would want the child to live.  She would put the child's life over her own, and I am that child's doctor, too. 

"She's burnin'!" 

"I know - I know - but the child is healing.  Look."  He's almost completely healed now.  His hair - he's even got dark hair coming back on his head. 

"Umph!"  Rogue has got to be in excruciating pain.  "H-Hank?"

That is as healed as the child is going to get.  "Let go, let go!"   Dear Lord, give me strength.  Give Rogue strength. 

"Hank?!"

"She's - she's alive.  Get Jean.  Get Jean!"  The child.  I must check on the child. 

"Buh-wa!"  It worked.  Thank God it worked.  He is - upon visual examination he is completely healed.  "Ggggooooo."  Thank God. 





"Come on, try the bottle, all right?"

"Waaaaaahhhh! Nnnoooooo!"  Great, just great.  At least the child is healthy.  At least he has survived.  Focus on that, Jean.  Not on how he screams bloody murder every time you try to hold him or feed him.  It's no reason not to like the child. 

"Come on, just a little bit?  I know you must be hungry."

"Waaaaaaah!  Dada!  Dada!"  Oh, all right, fine.  You want your dad?  You're more than welcome to try to pry him away from Marie's bedside.  Fine.  "Da-daaaaaa.."  God, Jean, get a grip on yourself.  You can't get mad at a baby.  Or at Logan.  He just wants to make sure Marie's all right.  She saved his son's life.  Which is wonderful, really.  Wonderful.  And it's another Big Bonding Event in the Logan and Marie Life-Save-O-Rama.  No Jeans allowed.  "Dada.."

"We're going, we're going."  Maybe she'll be out of the coma, and he'll come back upstairs.  God, if I didn't know better, I'd swear she was out to break us up.  Not that I'm not doing a bang-up job of that myself lately.  Trying to corner Logan into a wedding - yeah, that's a great way to save a troubled relationship.  Oh, and it's not like I'm having sex dreams about Scott or anything.  Christ, I've got to do something about my life. 

"Dada!"  I bet he's got Logan's senses - he seems to be sniffing a lot of the time.  And I don't think he likes how I smell.  Great.  Wonderful.  "Dada!  Dada!"

"Hey, kid."  She's not out of the coma.  That means there's no chance he'll leave the medlab now.  Fabulous. 

"Sorry to interrupt you and Marie here, but he wanted his dad and he wouldn't eat for me."  Shit, I didn't mean for that to come out so snippy.  It's just that the constant baby-crying can work your nerves after a while. 

"Here.  Gimme his bottle.  I'll feed him.  You can go on back upstairs."  He's been so distant since it happened.  Almost like - almost like he's trying to push me away.  "Go on."  Did I say 'almost'?  Did I say 'trying'?

"Fine.  I'll just leave the happy family alone, then."  At least the child stopped screaming.  Maybe my migraine will tone down. 

"Look, Jeannie - I - uh, maybe we should talk."  Yes, and here's the perfect place for it, with you feeding your thrilled-to-be-out-of-my-arms child and with the big love of your life lying comatose after sacrificing herself to save your son.  Yes, that's going to be just *great* for our relationship, I can tell already.  "I've been thinkin' that you and me - you know - maybe that's not such a good idea.  I don't wanna get married, and you've always said how you don't want kids, so.."

"Fine.  Fine, Logan.  I'll move your things into Marie's room, how's that?"

"It's not 'cause of her."

"No, no, why would I think that?  Gee, could it be because of your all-consuming obsession with her, dating all the way back to when she was *underage*?  Could it be because she's Saint Marie, and I'm Adulterous Jean?  Could it be because she saved your son's life and he hates me?"

"Hates ya?  Jeannie, he's a year old and he's known ya for a coupla hours.  Where's all this shit comin' from?"

"You're right.  You're right."  Calm down.  Just take it easy.  Dignity.  Try to retain some semblance of dignity.  "I'm sorry.  I apologize for saying those things.  I'll move your things into Marie's room in the morning, all right?"

"No.  I mean, I'll take my own room.  There's an empty one next door to hers.  I'll take that one."  Well, what was I expecting - please don't leave me, Jean, please stay? 

"Fine.  Goodbye, Logan."  And it's over.  Just over.  God, I should've known this wouldn't work.  I should've known but I just couldn't resist it. 

"Hey, Jeannie - you're a good woman, ya know?"  He really means that, I can tell.  He's - maybe he's right.  Maybe this just - it just wasn't a good idea.  Maybe it wasn't love between us, and maybe it's time that we both admitted that.  But what the hell am I going to do now?

"Thanks.  Bye."






Dada - dada, dada, dada.

"You're eatin' pretty good there, kid.  You just keep that up.  We're gonna keep you nice and healthy, you know?"

Dadasmell dada.safe.

"Uh, Hank says I should talk to ya and all.  So don't think I'm bein' weird or nothin'.  I realize you don't know, uh, words and shit - shit!  I mean darn.  Gonna try not to swear around ya.  Anyhow, I was sayin', I realize you dunno how to talk back yet, but I'm just gonna keep talkin', OK?"

Dada..dada warm.dada smell good..mama?

"That's Marie.  You'll like her.  She, uh, saved your life, you know.  She's really gonna like you.  She's a good kid.  Not so much of a kid anymore, I guess."

Dada smelldada smell sad?

"You met Jeannie.  She's a good person, you know, but just not the right one for me."

"Gooo!"

"Uh, yeah.  I dunno what to do about all that.  I don't - Marie's not like that to me, you know?  I've never once thought about bendin' her over and gettin' her - uh, let's not talk about that.  That's a little mature for a little guy like you.  The point is that I love her, yeah, but I don't think I love her like, you know, somebody you have sex with.  Sex is one thing and love - well, that don't have nothin' to do with it.  Sure, people say sometimes it does, but that's, you know, some kinda one in a million shot.  Hardly anybody has sex with someone they love, that's just how it is.  And Marie - she deserves somebody that's gonna be nice with her, and gentle.  I don't think she's, you know, found that guy so far, but I don't think it's me.  Not that I wouldn't wanna be nice with her if we did do that.  I mean, I would.  I would be real gentle.  I've thought about that a little, you know, once in a while - holdin' her, kissin' her, that stuff.  Maybe - maybe other stuff.  I dunno.  I just dunno if that's right, to be thinkin' sex thoughts about her.  Not that I do.  I just - if I did, I'm not sure that's right.  I mean, she looks up to me like some kinda protector or somethin'.  She's a lot younger than me, and that'd be takin' advantage.  Plus, she's - she's - "

"Mama?"

"Uh, not really.  Um, no.  Marie.  She's Marie."

"Mama."  Mama talk to mefeel mama.. "Mama."

"Uh, well, I can understand why you think that.  I mean, she did kinda, you know, give you life, even if it wasn't in the traditional mom way, and Hank said that you might get some of Marie up in your little head.  To tell ya the truth, I kinda hope so.  Maybe she'll balance out the stuff you got from me a little, the temper and all."

"Mama." 

"Uh, maybe she can explain it when she wakes up."

"Mama, mama."  Go mama.smell mama.

"Well, uh, OK.  I guess.  Her skin don't react with yours, not after what she did for ya there, so I guess it's OK if you give her a little hug.  She'd probably like that.  Just - just be real careful and don't hurt her, OK?  She's - she's sick right now and we're waitin' for her to get better."

"Mama*sniff*."  Mama warm..

"Mmmph"

"Marie?  Marie?"

"Oooh."  Mama warm, mama smell good.

"Marie?  Are you OK?"

"Yeah, yeah.  God, my head hurts.  What - what - oh.  Hi there."

"It worked, darlin'.  You saved his life."

"Thank God.  But my skin - Logan, he's too close to - "

"It's OK.  He touched you, accidentally, after you did it, and your skin didn't react.  It's OK to touch him."

"Really?"

"Yeah, darlin'."

"Really?"

"Yeah.  Go 'head."  Mama closemama warm..

"Mama."

"Um."

"Uh, he kinda thinks you're his mom.  Hank said he mighta gotten some of you in his head.  Still, I can't figure out why he seems so sure 'bout that.  I mean, it's not like you thought you were his mom or somethin'."  Oh-oh.  Mama sad

"Logan, there's - there's a reason he thinks that."  Mama see me..mama warm.. "I should probably explain.  I, uh, God, this isn't going to be easy."

"You can just say it, Marie.  I'm sure that whatever it is, it's fine.  Hey - I got you and this little guy, what could be bad?" 

"Right.  Look, just - just try not to get mad when I tell you, all right?  It's an emotional thing for me, and it's going to be hard, so try not to get mad and yell, OK?"

"OK."

"I'm just going to come right out and say it.  When I came back from that lab with Remy, well, I was pregnant.  I lost the baby at seven weeks.  Hank said - Hank said there were a number of factors that could've contributed, including my skin.  That's his way of trying not to tell me that my own mutation killed the baby."

"Marie - why - why didn't you say somethin'?  I coulda - I coulda - "

"Could've what?  Pitched a fit?  Killed the baby's father?"

"Was that little shit Remy - "  Dada?

"It doesn't matter, Logan.  Calm down.  Don't scare the child."  Mama safe..Dada?  "There wasn't anything you could do to fix it and I just - I wanted to deal with it on my own, I had to."

"I'm sorry.  I'm - I'm sorry you - I'm sorry." 

"It's probably why he thinks about me as his mom.  I was thinking a lot about - "  Mama sad, mama sad..

"Shhh.  It's all right, darlin'.  You don't hafta say."

"Hank and I - we couldn't really tell if it had been a boy or a girl, you know?  But I always thought of her as a little girl, my little girl.  I was - I was going to name her Samantha and I was going to love her so much even if - even if she didn't come out OK, even if - sorry.  Sorry.  We, ah, Hank, really, he buried her beneath that tree that my window looks out over.  Hank really - he pulled me through so much of that."

"Oh, Marie"

"I guess I was just thinking that, in a way, she was my little girl and he'd be my little boy, that I could save him, that it would be OK this time.  That's probably why - why he thinks that.  I'm sorry."

"It's all right."

"I'll explain to him that - that Jean's going to be his mom.  I'll figure out how to get him to understand that."

"She's not - we, uh, we broke up."

"Why?"  Mama smell..mama smell?

"It just wasn't workin' out.  She wanted a weddin', you know, and I didn't.  I wanted kids, and, well, she didn't, and I got this little one here to take care of now.  It just wasn't right."

"I'm sorry, Logan."  Mama sad..

"Mama!"

"Hey, uh - uh - Logan, what's his name?"

"I didn't name him yet.  I thought that since you - since you saved him, you should get to.  But - but now I'm thinkin' that maybe we could name him Sam.  If you'd like."

"Oh, Logan."  Mama closemama warm.. "I'd like that very much."







I saw the strangest thing the other day - Logan, out walking the grounds.  That in and of itself wasn't strange.  No, when I fly over the skies at night, communing with the rains and the winds, I often see him trekking across the grounds.  Sometimes hunting, sometimes running.  He is not a man who knows much peace.  What was strange about the sight this time, was that he appeared to be picking flowers. 

He stopped along the trail several times to gather different ones, forming a small bouquet.  At first I thought perhaps he was on his way to apologize to Jean, to ask her to take him back.  She is my best friend, and I know she has been troubled at their break up, but all the world can see that she belongs with Scott.  I was about to turn and head back for the mansion to speak with her, when I noticed something even more strange.  As he knelt next to a patch of wild daisies, he put a hand to his face, almost as though he were crying.  His shoulders shook and he paused there for a moment before picking the flowers.  Now, I was curious.  I knew that Jean had never elicited that kind of response in him.  In fact, I'd only ever seen him show any real depth of emotion in regard to two people - Rogue and his newly-found son. 

I followed him in the sky as he gathered more flowers.  He finally parted from the trail around the grounds, carefully arranging the flowers as he walked.  Eventually, he stopped beneath an old oak tree in the backyard.  We hardly ever use that portion of the grounds, and no trails lead there, but the memory of the tree being one of Rogue's favorites suddenly came to me.  As I recall, she often remarked on how she liked to look up on it, how strong it was, and how beautiful.  I had caught her staring pensively out her window at it many times. 

I watched as Logan sat cross-legged on the ground, and carefully lay the flowers at the base of the tree. I could tell with certainty that he was crying now - his tears gleamed in the moonlight.  He was also talking to himself - lips moving, then coming still, over and over again.  I was tempted to turn the wind so that it would carry his words to me, but whatever was happening was clearly private.  Logan has always respected my privacy, and I chose to respect his.  I flew back to the front of the mansion and returned to my room, offering up silent prayers for whatever had drawn tears and flowers out of the man I'd come to know as unbreakable.




"Good morning sunshine."  God, he's just the most adorable child.  Instant love, right there.  "How are you this morning?"

"Gooo!"

"Excellent.  Let's get your diaper changed and then we'll get you some food, OK?"

"Ma-ma!"  I know I should discourage him more strongly about that.  But Logan - he has a good point.  Yes, Sam had a mom, a biological mom that we shouldn't be disrespectful to.  But yes, he also can have more than one mom.  And I have to admit, I don't mind at all taking care of him, having a connecting room with Logan, and basically finally getting to be a mom after all this time.  Not that he could ever replace Samantha or that I won't always just ache to hold her, but this - this is helping, I think.  This is helping me heal.

"Sa-am!  Let's get that clean diaper on you.  There we go." 

"Heh - ha!"  He likes it when I pretend to bite his feet when he's on the changing table.  He's very playful. 

"All done.  Now how about some food for you?"

"Uh-huh!  Uh-huh, mama!"  Tomorrow we should do something special.  It's his eighteen-month birthday, as close as we can figure it anyway, and that's a big deal in a toddler's life.  Especially in this toddler's life. 

"Hey, darlin', you guys up?"  Sleepy Logan - head-scratching and all.  I kind of thought he might lay down with Sam and me again last night.  I wouldn't have minded.  I don't mind those times.  He's Sam's dad, and just because Sam likes to sleep with me doesn't mean Logan should miss out, right?  Besides, it doesn't have to mean anything.  It doesn't. 

"Yeah, we're just heading down to the kitchen.  Want to meet us there?"

"Sure."  I *could* do without the sight of Logan in boxers.  Not that it's a bad sight, it just makes me, you know, lust heartily after things I'll never have.  Which isn't as tragic to me as you might think.  The things I do have - a good life, and Sam - those are a lot.  They count for everything, actually. 

"Let's see - I think there's some hot cereal in the kitchen, and maybe we'll give you some fruit too.  I don't think you're quite ready for bacon and egg breakfasts yet, but I know your dad likes them, so I'll get that started too."

"Mama, food!" 

"That's right, we're headed to the kitchen to get you some food."  I wonder if he's ready to start thinking about using the sippy cups.  The bottles are still pretty well-received.  I guess he'll let me know when he's ready.  There's no rush.  "Let's get you all settled in your high chair and I'll start making your breakfast.   There.  There we go."  He's got the absolute best smile.  He just does. 

"Mama, ba-ba!" 

"Bottle on the way.  Here - here's your favorite toy.  That bottle will be ready in a minute."

"Mornin', darlin'."  I have noted an increase in the 'darlin's' and the head kisses.  That's not a complaint, mind you.  "How's it comin'?  Want me to put some coffee on?"

"Sure, that'd be great."

"Comin' up.  How's my big, strong son today, huh?  Didya sleep good with mom last night?"

"Mama!"

"Yeah."

"Logan, I, uh, noticed that you came in kind of early last night but you didn't come over to sleep.  You, uh, you don't have to or anything.  I was just wondering."  Oh yes.  Very good, Rogue.  Subtle.  Are you sure you don't want to just run over there and jump into his arms and say 'love me, please'? 

"Oh.  Uh, well, I got back from the mission early and I was still healin' up some."

"Are you OK?"  I mean, I know he is.  Duh.  But still.

"Yeah.  Yeah, darlin'.  I, uh, wasn't sure how you thought about that, the times we all sleep in one bed.  I wasn't sure if it made you feel uncomfortable to have me in there with ya."

"Why would you think that?"

"Well, sometimes, you, uh, smell a little nervous."  Oh.  Oh.  Well, that's because I am a little nervous, and there's no good way to explain it.  I'm nervous because it's Logan, I'm nervous because I'm afraid he'll accidentally get my skin, I'm nervous because ever since the lab just having someone male within a foot of me gives me cold sweats.  But I'm not so nervous that I want him to not sleep with us. 

"Sorry.  I just want to be sure you don't get my skin, you know, by accident, and I'm a little jumpy, uh, generally.  But I kind of like it when you hop in with us."  Yes, I am blushing.  I don't think I've done that in - in - *months.*  "Sam likes it too."  Oh, sure, Rogue, blame Sam.

"Dada!"

"Is that - do you really like it?"  Why is he looking like that all of a sudden?  So very intense and something else I can't really put my finger on. 

"Yeah."

"I've been meanin' to talk to you about somethin', Marie.  It ain't gonna come out right, so you just keep that in mind when you hear it."

"OK."

"I love you.  And I think - well, you said right before you touched Sam and fixed him that you never stopped loving me up until that point, and I think you still do.  We got a child together now, and I think we should, you know, in light of all that, think about us gettin' together."

"Uh"  I'm speechless.  Literally speechless. 

"I wasn't sure for a long time that it was right to have those kinda feelin's for ya, but I do.  There.  There it is."  He looks like he's expecting me to yell at him or hit him or possibly both.  But oh no, that's not what he's going to get. 

"I'd like to - to try that too.  Let's not jump in with both feet, but let's try it out.  Let's try out being together.  I'd like that."  God, that's the first time I've seen him smile like that.  I think - I think he really might love me.





This is always the difficult part.  Saying goodbye.  But they all do leave, sooner or later, and this departure is happier than most. 

I think that Rogue feels at peace with the decision.  I know that the most difficult part for her was leaving her miscarried child.  She has never approached me for counsel in the past, regardless of the extent of her emotional crisis, but when she was making this decision, she came to me with questions.  Will Samantha understand if I move away from her with Logan?  Is it right to leave her here?  I want to let her rest, but would it be better to exhume her and take her with me?  Poor child.  She has been through so very much in her young life. 

"Ahem.  If I may have your attention, please.  I would like to make a few remarks before our dear friends and colleagues, Logan and Rogue, leave for Canada in the morning."  I do think that this is the right thing for Rogue.  She looks especially radiant this evening.  As does Logan, actually.  They have found so much happiness with one another, that I cannot begrudge the loss to the team or the school that their leaving will inflict.  They have the responsibility of a child now, Logan's child, and I respect their decision to do what is best for him.  With the rising incidence of attacks on the mansion, although none have been serious, I cannot blame them for wanting to live elsewhere. 

"I would like to thank you both for your exemplary service to the school and to the X-men.  You have both suffered many trials and have come through them all the stronger.  We are grateful to you both and wish you both the utmost happiness as you leave this mansion.  Go with our blessings, our prayers, and our phone numbers, should you ever wish to rent out that remote, scenic cabin of yours."  Yes, I thought that small joke would go over well.  The students are ever surprised that their Professor does indeed have a sense of humor.  "Good luck and god speed."




"So that was supposed to be my mommy?"  Sure, this heaven deal is nice and all, but I was curious.  I wanted to know what kind of mom I was supposed to have.  'Cause everybody up here says that I was gonna get a really good one.  I wanna see for myself.

"Yes.  She was going to name you Samantha."

"What's she doing playing with that little boy?"  She's supposed to be sad.  She's supposed to miss me. 

"Well, she's taking care of him.  He was supposed to be your brother, you know."

"I don't want a brother.  It was gonna be just me and her."  Hmph.  Stupid angels.  What do they know?  Who would want a brother?  "She doesn't even miss me."

"Oh, my dear, she misses you very much, every single second."

"She doesn't miss me at all - look at how she's tickling him!  She's having fun with them.  She doesn't even remember me."

"Now, Samantha."  Oh-oh.  A mad angel isn't a good thing.  "You can see into her heart if you wish.   You can see for yourself how much she misses you.  I think that you are afraid to do that.  I think that you are afraid to find out."

"I am not."  I'm not scared of nothin'.  Hmph.

"Then look."

"Fine."  Fine.  I will.  Stupid, know-it-all angels.  Who put them in charge anyhow?  I'll just take a little look, a little peek, 'cause I know - oh! 

"See?"

"She does miss me.  She does remember me."  She misses me a lot.  Gosh, I don't want her to be so sad.  She's - she shouldn't be so sad about it.  I'm OK.  I'm up here in heaven and I'll see her again one day. 

"Yes, she does."

"Hey, am I gonna see her soon?  'Cause I think she'll be happier once she knows I'm OK."

"You won't see her for a while, my dear, but you will see her again.  And I wager that it will be soon enough." 

"Well, good.  'Cause she's my mom and she's not supposedta be sad.  Besides, I gotta tell her that I wanted to be named Natasha.  What kinda girl would wanna go around bein' called 'Sam' all the time?  That's a boy's name." 

"Ah, well, I'm sure she will be interested to hear it.  Come now, let's go back."

"OK."  I guess it's OK to go 'cause the angels said I could come back and see her anytime.  I'll just make sure she isn't having a hard time with my stupid brother every now and then.  That guy she's with - he looks OK.  "Bye, mommy."


 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives