Naked Animal Guy
Naked Animal Guy

Title: Alter-Eighteen: Naked Animal Guy
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: R
Summary: Alternative version of events in the movie and the Eighteen series. Rogue meets up with a different Logan under very different circumstances.
Disclaimer: They aren't mine, I'm just having a little fun with them ;)
Archive: Ask, and I will happily give
Feedback: Please? Pretty please?
Author's Notes: My brbf read this and complained. You see, she asked for a serious alter-eighteen featuring a recently-released-by-the-government Logan. And instead she got this - a HappyRogue story that can in no way be mistaken for anything serious. But she betaed it for me anyway :) That's why I love her.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I've got to get a ride. I've got to get a ride soon. It's freezing. It's below freezing. And Celsius just makes it sound even colder. Even when it's warm it's only in the twenties. Ugh.

It feels like I've been walking forever. I can't believe that guy just kicked me out of his truck when he suspected I was a mutant. As soon as I said not to touch my skin, he started to freak. And he seemed so nice. Well, until he started being all grabby-handed. On second thought, maybe it's a good thing he kicked me out.

But now I don't even know where I am, except that it's damn far north. I think north of the forty-ninth. And in the middle of a big forest. Great. 'Cause that's so unusual in northern Canada. Hardly any forests around at all, should be sooo easy to figure out where I am knowing that. Geez, I'm never going to get to Alaska.

"Grrrr..."

Oh, shit. There's some kind of animal out there. Well, of course there is, Rogue, it's the wilderness. It's like the home for animals or whatever.

"Grrr....." That was louder. Oh, God, that must mean it's getting closer. Why won't a car come by?

"GRRRR....." Damn. Now it sounds like a BIG, close animal. A big, close, hungry animal that probably has fangs and claws and - oof!

"GRRRR!!!!!!!!!" Oh my God! It's not an animal, it's a person! A big, heavy person that's pinning me to the ground. He's got - fur? No, no, just lots of hair. "GRRRR!!!"

"Eeep!" Oh, good one, Rogue. 'Eeep.' That's bound to scare him off. Way to make animal-guy respect you. He's- he's sniffing at me. Ew. I can't smell very good - haven't had a shower for three days. On the other hand, compared to him.......

"Grrrr...." That was a little, um, nicer of a growl, I guess. Maybe I should do something. Something other than going 'eeep.'

"Um, hello." Oh, good, very good, Rogue. Say hello to the growling hairy man. Good one.

"H-hello." Whoa. He looked a little shocked that I said something. And he's talking to me. Talking. That's good. That means I can communicate with him.

"I'm Rogue. What's your name?"

"Grrr....." Maybe he just knows hello. He can't have been - he'd be frozen if he'd been out here for very long. I mean, he's um, quite naked. Someone must have done something to him. I wonder - wait - there's something around his neck, dog tags.

"Wolverine - it looks like your name is Wolverine."

"NO!"

"O-OK. Not Wolverine. Fine."

"Not Wolverine."

"OK." He's not moving and I wonder what he's thinking. He's just kind of looking at me. "Um, would you mind, you know, letting me up?"

"<sniff>......No."

"Wh - oof!" He's rolling me over and over, out further into the woods - what the heck is he? Hey! That's a car! That's a car coming! "Let go! I need to get a ride - let go!"

"NO!" He's pinning me down by the shoulders, and God, he's strong.

"But I - " The car's probably gone by now. Scratch that, definitely gone.

"Hide!" Whoa. He's freaking out. Maybe somebody picked him up and did something bad to him. He's....something's not quite right. Well, you know, even beyond the growling and the nakedness.

"OK, OK, we're hiding, we're hiding. But look - the bad car is all gone now. Gone." He's sniffing again. "See? No more car. So can you - can you let me up now?"

"Grrr..." I think that means OK, but don't pull anything. I'm guessing that maybe his vocabulary doesn't quite go far enough to cover all that.

"Look, you, um, have to be freezing cold all naked like, well, like you are. I have - I can get some clothes out of my bag - I have some sweats that might fit you. OK? I'm just going to go grab it - it's up there by the road." He probably needs more than clothes. I don't know what happened to him, but medical attention is probably -

"GRR...." I don't think he likes the idea of me going by the road again.

"It's OK, it's OK." Going to just move slowly, reach out and snag the bag. There - "See? No problem. No problem at all. Now, let's see what we've got in here." Some sweat pants, those will fit him. He can have some of my wool socks. What else......that t-shirt might fit him, but that won't keep him too warm. Maybe....where's that big shirt that I wear with leggings? That might -

"Clothes?"

"Yeah. I thought you might, um, like some. They'll keep you warm." And much less naked.

"Warm."

"Yeah. Here. Go ahead and put these on. I don't have any shoes in here that'll fit you, so take about three pairs of socks. And these - put the um, t-shirt on then the bigger shirt. That might work." I don't know what I'm going to do with him if I can't get him into a car. He can't stay out here too much longer, he'll freeze. At least he's putting on the clothes.

"Thanks."

Whoa. I was expecting a little grunt or growl or something there. "You're welcome." The big shirt is a little tight across his chest, but at least it's something. "I've got lots of extra gloves. Here." He's looking at them like - no way. I don't blame him. The first time I saw these kind of gloves, I bet I was thinking no way they'd fit. "They stretch. Go ahead, they'll stretch to fit your hands."

"Hmmm." I think he likes those.

"Um, look, how long have you been out here? Are you OK?"

"Dunno."

"You mean you don't know how long or if you're OK?"

"Dunno how long. I'm cold."

"Maybe you should take my coat for a while. I can always put some more layers on. Here - here you go."

"Thanks." It looks good on him, actually - even the hood. He was really cold when he was on top of me. Thank God I was covered and he didn't try to touch my face at all. That reminds me - I should probably explain about my skin.

"You're welcome. Look, I need to tell you something. I'm - I'm a mutant. I don't know if you've heard of them or not. But I am one. And my skin is different. It - you can't touch it with your skin. It will hurt you if you do. Do you understand all that? Did that make any sense to you?"

"You're a mutant?" That was a big sentence. Maybe he just hasn't had anyone to talk to for a while, or since whatever happened to him happened.

"Yeah, but don't be scared or anything, I won't hurt you, I just wanted you to know so that - oh!" Look at that! He's one too! But what kind of mutation is that - steel claws in his hands? "Can I - can I see?"

He's nodding, and almost-growling. I think he's a little scared. The metal, it's shiny, and it feels a little warm, even though my gloves. "Grrrr......" That was a different growl, a - a sensual growl? I wonder what me touching the claws feels like for him.

"Do they hurt? Do they hurt when they come out?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry." That must be awful, to have that in your body, and - wait, wait, when he put them back in, his knuckles healed right up. Like, immediately. "Do you - how do you do that?"

"Dunno."

"You healed."

"Yeah. I do that."

"Oh." That must be part of his mutation too. Oh, my.

"What does your skin do?" Another big sentence, good.

"It - it just hurts people. When someone touches me, it feels like they're coming into my head, like they're kind of pouring into me. I can't control it, and when it happens, they get hurt. The first boy I ever kissed was in a coma for three weeks."

"Sorry."

"Yeah, me too." You know, he seems like an OK guy. Kind of nice, even. "Look, we, um, we can't stay out here - we'll freeze. We have to try to get a ride somewhere. Now, I know you don't like cars, but - "

"No." He's shaking his head, but surely, he's got to realize that he needs to get to shelter. "Come with me."

"Um, OK, but - where are we going? Because we should probably stay kind of close to the road, don't you think? I mean, we could get lost."

"I know where to go." He seems really sure, but....

"Are you sure? I mean, we don't necessarily have to get in a car, but if we could just follow the road for a while - "

"Come on." He - he grabbed my hand, and he's actually dragging me with him. Whoa, there, Mr. Caveman.

"Can you tell me where we're going?"

"Come on." OK, I guess that's a no. Well, I might as well follow him, why not? I mean, sure, it's not really any different than hitch hiking, kind of. Only instead of hopping in a car or truck with a total stranger, I'm walking through the woods with one. A total stranger with an extremely limited vocabulary and no name who came out of the woods like an animal and jumped me naked. Yeah. No reason at all I shouldn't be doing this. Right.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Um, are we almost there?" Because we've been walking for about three hours. And just going deeper into the woods. The snow is getting deeper and the terrain is getting rougher. It's hard to keep up with him - it's almost like he was born to this. At least he took my bag. I'd never have been to carry it through all this.

"Yeah. Over this hill."

"Good. Good." Ooof! Ran right into him. Wonder why he stopped all of a sudden. He's doing the sniffing thing again. You know, just right now, I realize that I've lost my mind. I really have. I really, really must have because never in my life would I have guessed that I'd be standing on the side of a mountain in Canada watching some guy who was running naked through the woods this morning take a good sniff of the mountain air. I've really got to get a better plan together for getting to Alaska. This hitching rides thing, hooking up with strange woodsy naked guys, it's just not working for me.

"OK. Let's go."

"OK - are you - oh - is that where we're going? That little shack?" I wonder if that's what he's been using for shelter.

"Yeah. No one's there."

"You've been living there?"

"I guess."

Now that we're getting closer, I can see a little pipe chimney. Maybe there's heat. But if he had a place to stay, why would he be running around in the woods naked? And so far from here? "Is it your house?"

"No."

"You just found it?"

"Yeah." Almost there. It looks really small. But at least it's shelter. That's good. I just have no idea where the heck we are, I couldn't find my way back to the road, and, you know, I don't know who this guy really is, but at least we've got shelter. Focus on the good, Rogue. Almost there - well, at least it's got a door. And it does have a chimney so - "Wait."

"Something wrong?"

"No." He's almost - he's almost fidgeting. And he's not opening the door. I wonder what has him - "It's a mess in there."

I can't help it, I let out a laugh. He just looks confused at that. "That's OK. I don't really care."

"OK." Whoa. He was right. It is a mess in here. Dirt everywhere. No furniture. Some - I can't really tell - but it looks like little animal bones near the fireplace. "It's not much."

"It's fine. It looks....cozy." He brightened at that, not a smile, but the muscles around his eyes relaxed. "Do you want to start a fire? It would warm up the place."

"I can get wood. And rocks." He's back to all business, already heading for the door.

"Rocks?"

"For a spark."

"Oh, I've got - I've got a lighter in my bag, I'm pretty sure. Don't worry about the rocks."

"OK." There he goes. Not a man of many words, naked animal guy.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is nice." The fire's going real good. I'm almost de-iced. Naked animal guy must be warming up too - he took off my coat.

"We can sleep by the fire."

"Sounds like a plan. Um, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah." He's laying down and - oh, OK, grabbing me by the arm to lay down next to him. I guess he meant we can sleep by the fire right now.

"Why did you, uh, grab me back there?"

"I smelled you."

Not really understanding the logic there. And now he's pulling me up VERY close to him. So glad we put some clothes on him. So very glad about that right now. And glad my back is to him, less chance of a skin-related accident. Better remind him just in case. "Be - be careful of my skin."

"I am." He's really pressing up against me. I wonder if he's trying to keep me warm. "My name's Logan. I think."

Whoa. That's some deep conversation for him. "That's a nice name." It's much better than naked animal guy.

Wait - wait. He's, uh, I think he's grabbing my boob. It's hard to really tell through all the layers of clothes, but I'm pretty sure his hand just came to rest on my boob. Not exactly in a bad way, but still. This is turning, um, interesting. "Logan? How did you end up out here? What happened to you?"

"Dunno. Woke up.....I guess a lotta days ago. Didn't remember anythin'."

"Nothing at all?"

"Just my name."

"Why didn't you go for help?" If that'd happened to me, I think I would have tried to find a town or a police station or something.

"Don't know who did this to me. Don't know who to trust. I can make it on my own." That's just so sad.....living out in the woods, too scared to get help, living in a dirt floor shack with no clothes. And worst of all having to do everything yourself with no memories and nothing - not even clothes. Oh God, I don't think I could do that.

"You can trust me. If - if you want to. I'm not going to do anything bad to you."

"OK." He doesn't sound entirely sure about that, but he's pressing me to him a little tighter now, and his legs are resting on top of mine too. I don't mind. He seems so lonely.

"Maybe - maybe tomorrow we can think of what to do. You know. To get food and, um, more clothes for you."

"I hunt food. I don't need clothes." I don't think he likes the idea of leaving the woods. He probably feels like this is his turf - he's probably comfortable here.

"They'll make you warmer."

"I'm warm now." Maybe I should just let it go. Maybe I should just get some sleep and let his hand rest on my chest and let him be warm and worry about it later.

"OK."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not bad roughing it, once you get used to it. At first, you know, the whole no-bathroom and no-running-water thing is pretty inconvenient, but around the third day or so, you just get over it. Likewise with the dirt floor. Tends to make everything dirty, but, other than that, it's not bad. And the cuisine - freshly killed woodland animal roasted over an open fire - is actually pretty tasty. Once you get over the ick factor of seeing the carcass and watching it being gutted and skinned. And living with Logan - well, he's short on the social pleasantries, but he's actually very decent company. There's a me-Jane-you-naked-animal-guy quality to life up here, but that's not all bad.

And I have to say, the shack is coming along. It's been almost a week, and we've got the walls insulated with some animal skins to keep out the drafts and some animal skins to sleep on and to get covered up with at night - almost a bed. I convinced Logan to carve some bowls and kind of a bucket with his claws. I even figured out a way to take a bath by warming a bucket of snow and ice next to the fire - well, no soap, but at least I could rinse off a little. I managed to convince him to take a bath too. It took some doing, but by the time I'd finished taking one, and he'd gotten a plenty good eyeful of me naked, he was a little more flexible about doing it.

He's been a little weird with the touching. Just when I got used to going to sleep with someone clutching at my chest, he started with the rubbing thing. Rubbing up against my backside. I didn't really know what to do the first time he did that, so I just kind of stayed still. The second time I could really feel how, um, excited it was making him, so I figured I'd better say or do something. And, OK, I'll admit that I don't really know exactly what I was going to say or do, but I wasn't expecting him to just take my gloved hands and put them in his pants the second I rolled over to face him.

God knows my momma would have a fit, but something about the way he looked at me right then - so lonely and so lost - something about that made me not take my hands away. It made me let him guide my hands and show me what he wanted. It made me keep going even after he took his hands away. When he was done, it was weird, yeah, all wet and sticky and hot, but I didn't mind it so much. And I think it really - I don't know - did something for him, and not just in the sex way. He growled and rumbled deep in his chest when it was over, and he kept running his hands all over me until we both fell asleep. He just seemed so....I don't know, content, maybe. So I did it again the past few nights, last night even before he took a hold of my hands.

I think the touching stuff has made him feel more comfortable in general. He's less snarly, and he doesn't seem quite so sad. He's also talking a lot more, complete sentences now. He thinks that maybe it was the government that got a hold of him, so it makes a lot more sense why he wouldn't go for help. I'm still trying to convince him to come down out of the woods, but, to be honest, I don't mind being here for a while. It's fine. It's weird, kind of surreal, and nothing I'd ever expected in my whole life, but it's actually fine.

"Hey." He's back with a big, dead animal. You know, once I mentioned that we could use some animal skins, he's gotten right on it.

"Hey. What'd you get?"

"Bear."

"Oooh. Are you OK? He didn't get you, did he?" He looks fine now, but with his mutation, you never know what might've happened.

"Oh, yeah. Got a good one in across my chest, but it's fine."

"You're all right now?" I know he is, but I think he likes that I ask. I think he likes having someone around who would ask that.

"Yeah. Gonna skin 'em here. Already gutted 'em."

"OK. Need any help?" He always says no. I think he takes kind of a manly pride in doing it himself or something.

"No." That's nice, a little smile. Very nice. You know, I bet - wait, his whole expression changed just like that. Something's up.

"What? Logan?"

"I smell someone. Stay inside."

"OK, I - oh!" There's someone behind him - looks like a bigger, hairier version of Logan. It's - he's attacking Logan! Oh no! His claws are out, Logan means business. He's - he's getting in some good swipes at that guy, but he just keeps coming, and now - now he's starting to hit Logan. Hard. Oh God, he's just ripping into Logan and - he picked up tree, a tree! That guy ripped out a tree by the roots! He's - oh, no! - that connected with Logan's head, and he's out, he's out the claws are back in.

But he's not - wait, he's not finishing Logan off, he's - oh, God, he's headed for me. I can't - there's no where to run. He's gonna kill me, oh God, he's gonna kill me!

"Sabretooth!" Who the hell? Some guy with sunglasses? And a chick with white hair picking up Logan. What the hell is going on here?

"GRRRR!!!" Sabretooth's charging sunglass guy, and I hate to tell him this, but if Logan couldn't win a fight with - whoa! He's got like laservision or something. That hurt Sabretooth.

"Come on!" Me? Is he talking to me? "Come on!" I guess so, but where - hey! That's a plane!

"Logan?"

"We've got him, come on!"



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you just go around, you know, in the leather uniforms and the big plane, you just go around saving people and stuff?" It sounds a little iffy if you ask me. I mean, what are they supposed to be? Super mutants? What kind of job is that?

"Well, kind of, yes." That's Jean, the doctor. Have to try to remember their names. Scott is sunglass guy, and Storm is the white haired woman. The guy in the wheelchair is the Professor. Professor Xavier.

"O-OK. Look, is - will Logan be all right?"

"Yes, I believe so. Is he your, ah, brother?" Bad Jean, fishing for information after I already said I didn't want to talk about it on the plane. I mean, I don't know who these people are, really, and some undetermined bunch of people grabbed Logan and did bad stuff to him at one point. And Jean and the Professor are telepaths. If anyone could wipe memories..... "I don't mean to pry, Rogue."

"Do you know when he'll wake up?" Because I'd be willing to bet on major trauma when he does. He's scared of cars and stays away from people. Here we are in a big shiny medical office or something with lots of smells and strange things and people. Oh yeah, trauma all around.

"Should be in the next few hours. Rogue, do you know how Logan acquired the metal that's grafted to his skeleton?"

"There's metal grafted to his skeletion?" Oops. Smooth, Rogue, real smooth.

"Yes, adamantium. We don't have any idea how this could have been done - the metal is almost indestructible, almost unmalleable. Not to mention how he could have possibly survived such a procedure, even with his healing factor. Has he mentioned anything about it?"

"I really think you should wait and ask him when he wakes up." Because I've already put my foot in it enough. And because I don't like that they must've done some test or x-ray of him or something to figure all that out. They didn't tell me or ask my permission for that. They said they'd just stabilize him and wait for him to wake up.

"All right. Rogue, why don't you go ahead and take a shower, get freshened up? Maybe get something to eat as well?"

"No thanks. I'll wait here." No more tests on Logan for you, bad Jean. "I'd like to be here when he wakes up."

"Fine."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Unnnhhh...."

"Logan?" Good, he's coming around. I can use your help here, naked animal guy. We've gotten ourselves into a little situation. Come on, come back.

"Rogue?" His eyes are barely open and I hope he's not gonna -

"Ooommph!" Whoa, he just leaped off that bed and snagged me, shoved me behind him. "Whoa, whoa. It's OK. I think we're OK. At least, um, for now."

"Where are we?" He's still holding me pretty firmly behind him.

"Westchester, New York. In the U.S. At a school. We're in the medical office of the school."

"I've seen places like this in my nightmares." God, he's not just scared, he's petrified. "What happened to that thing that attacked us?"

"Some people came, mutants. They fought him off and took us both here. They were in a big black plane."

"Fuck."

"Look, Logan - do you want to just get out of here, because - " Oh-oh, that's the door. Jean. Well, hopefully he won't think she's a threat or anything.

"Stay behind me, Rogue." Or maybe he will.

"It's all right, I mean you no harm." She's trying to be friendly, but I think he's reacting to her wearing that lab coat, looking like a doctor. If he's had nightmares that have medical facilities in them.....

"Stay away." And, whoa, here come the claws.

"I mean you no harm. Please, Rogue, can you talk to him?"

"Um, Logan? I don't really know what's going on or who these people are, so I think you should, you know, try to calm down, but trust your instincts." I'm sure that's not what Jean was hoping I'd say, but it's the truth. I don't know them, but I do know Logan's instincts, and I trust them. If he thinks they're trouble, we're out of here.

"Grrrr....." That's the warning growl.

"Logan?" Oh-oh, more people. That's not good. "I am Professor Charles Xavier. You are at my school. Jean, please, leave us."

"Of course." Maybe Logan will be a little calmer now that Jean and her lab coat are gone. Still keeping one hand on me pretty solidly, though.

"Logan, we mean you no harm. We only meant to help you and Rogue. You see, we discovered a plan to kidnap Rogue. The mutant you encountered, Sabretooth, was sent to retrieve her and bring her to another mutant called Magneto. Fortunately, we were able to stop Magneto and to get to you and Rogue before Sabretooth could do any harm."

"What do you want from us?" Logan's sniffing at him. Maybe he can tell if that's true or nor by smell.

"Nothing. Only to help you become well again and to assist you in any way possible." I have to hand it to the Professor. Pretty cool, calm, and collected for someone facing six metal claws.

"I'm fine. We don't need your help. Put us back where we were."

"I will be happy to do so. Sabretooth and Magneto are in custody, and they should not present any further threat. The plane is in use now, but will be available tomorrow, in the morning. Until then, would you care to stay in one of the guest rooms?"

He's looking back at me to see what I think. I really, really don't know. I mean, the Professor guy seems nice and everything, but..... "It's up to you."

"Show me where."

"Very well, follow me."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what do you think?" This is one huge guest room. Big bed, big closet, big bathroom - bigger almost than the whole second floor of the house I grew up in.

"He wasn't lyin' but I don't like this. We go back in the mornin'."

"OK." He's pacing back and forth - still scared, I can tell. "But while we're here, maybe we can get a shower, a meal, and a change of clothes? I think there are some in the closet."

"You're used to all this, aren't you?"

"What?"

"You know, beds and floors. You lived like this before." He said it like he's just realizing that. I guess he didn't think about what I did before he found me out in the woods.

"Well, yeah."

"Rogue?" He looks all serious now - almost like something's wrong.

"Yeah?"

"Are you - are you goin' back in the mornin'?"

"Um, I just thought you said we were." Is he losing it or something, because if that lab-coat wearing wench did anything to him with her little tests, I swear.....

"I'm goin'. Are you comin' with me?"

"Well, yeah. Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

"Dunno. No reason." What's up with him? Because if I didn't know better, I'd say he was afraid I'd ditch him and - oh, God, that's it. He is afraid I'll ditch him. I'm the only person he even kind of knows or trusts. He's got me and a dirt floor shack, that's it. And now he thinks I'm ditching him here. Well, I can't let him think that. Not at all.

"I'm going back with you. No way I'd stay here. I want to go back. Hey - we were just getting the place all nice and fixed up, can't leave now." Maybe if I go over to him, hold his hand a little or something, maybe then he'd - ooopmh! That's a heck of a hug.

"Good." He really is shaken up. This has got to be scary for him - waking up in a place he's seen in nightmares. And on top of that to think his new girlfriend's going to be lured away by nice cushy beds and shiny floors......

"It's OK, you know. We can just, you know, regroup a little here, and in the morning we'll be gone. No problem. Let's - let's get some food, take a shower. OK?" We can both use some soap and water. Maybe I can sneak a bar of soap for the trip back too.

"OK. You first. You first with the shower."

"OK."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oooh! Ice cream! We've got to have some of that." I fully intend to eat as much as possible while we're here. Fire-roasted woodland creature du jour is good, but lacking in variety, you know?

"You're still hungry?"

"A little. Maybe. Hey - it's ice cream, you have to try a little." He looks good post-shower and shave. He wouldn't let me take off all the facial hair, but I can see a little more of his face now. And he smells a lot better. Showering with soap definitely works better on the smell factor.

"OK, but it looks cold." He sounds deeply suspicious of the ice cream. Oh, well, he ate the Cheetos, didn't he? He'll like this too, he just doesn't know it yet.

"See?" I can tell by the look on his face he does like it. "Pretty good, huh?"

"Yeah. Gimme some more."

"Here you go." He REALLY likes it. "Take the carton."

"Thanks."

"Hello, Rogue, Logan." Bad Jean. No lab coat this time, though. And she's parking herself as far away from us as possible, at the doorway.

"Hello."

"May I speak with you for a moment, Rogue?"

"Sure, go ahead." Because I don't think I'll be leaving Logan alone here, and vice versa. He even sat on the toilet while I took a shower and took his with the shower curtain half-open so he could see me at all times.

"I was hoping to speak with you privately."

"Um, I don't think so, no."

"There may be some things you would not wish Logan to - well, there may be some things that you might wish to discuss with Logan separately."

Not a big chance of that. "I'm sure whatever you have to say is fine to talk about between the three of us."

"Very well. Rogue, I was hoping to ask you a few questions."

"Not to be rude, Jean, but I really don't feel like answering questions right now. I just want to go back home."

"How old are you Rogue?" You know, I'm beginning to think that Jean has some issues. Like not being able to listen to people when they talk. Bad Jean. Well, she's not going to get an answer to that one. Because I'm not telling her I'm still a minor. That can only lead to bad things. I can just tell she's one of those for-your-own-good kind of people. The kind that would insist on keeping me here or something because she thinks it's better than where we were living. Besides, I'll turn eighteen in a week - no, five days. So no point, really. "Have you finished school? Because we have a special school here just for mutants."

"Look, I'm grateful to you for saving my life, but I don't want to discuss anything with you. I don't know you." I think Logan's picking up on my bad vibes. I hear those little vibrations deep down in his chest, little rumblings that precede a full-on growl.

"I understand, Rogue, I do. But we're here to help mutants like yourself. If you're planning on returning to where you were living before, I just want you to know you have other options."

"Grrr....." Now there's the full-on growl.

"I appreciate your concern, but we're fine, thank you." Now get the hell out of my sight.

"Very well, Rogue. Perhaps we will have the chance to speak again later." Bye-bye bad Jean.

"I don't like them." Yeah, I can that tell by the growling, honey.

"I know."

"They want to keep you."

"They're not going to." They don't seem like the kind of people who'd try to keep me by force, but then again, I don't really know them. "We're going tomorrow, one way or another."

"Yeah. You're mine, and I'm not gonna let them take you." Now that's an intense look. He's really upset about that, I can tell. Well, I would be too - the one person you know getting mutant-napped by a bunch of weird people at some school is an unsettling prospect.

"They're not going to." And I pity them if they try.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uh, excuse me, but can you give us a ride back now?" The Professor. He seems like the guy in charge. Logan doesn't like him, but I think he's probably OK. Logan just doesn't trust them, that's all. He's been extra-growly this morning. And he was extra-snuggly last night. He still thinks they might pull something.

"Good morning, Rogue, Logan. Would you care to join me for breakfast?"

"No thanks. We ate already. We're ready to go." I hope he's not evading the question. Because Logan's going to seriously freak if he stalls on taking us back.

"I was hoping to have a word with you both first."

"Grrr...." Low-level growl. The warning one.

"I, uh, don't think that's a good idea. We're kind of in a hurry to get moving."

"I was hoping to convince you to spend a little time with us, actually."

"No." Logan, grabbing me and pushing me behind him. He's in danger-alert mode, and they'll be no useful conversation now.

"Perhaps Rogue would like to talk, Logan."

"Not really, um, thanks. I appreciate you saving us and all, but I'd really like to just go." I know I must look pretty ridiculous saying that peeking out from behind Logan's shoulder, but we should definitely go. Before Logan takes out the claws and slices up your nice office.

"Rogue, you've been living in a small - well, shack for lack of a better word. With very few conveniences. Are you sure you would not like to stay here, attend school?"

"I'm done with school. And I'd rather go home, thank you." Keep it polite, even. Don't let Logan smell you getting scared too or he'll really freak.

"So you've completed high school, then?"

Smart guy. That's probably how he got to be a professor. "I'm ready to go home. It may not be as nice as this place, but I want to go back to it. Are you going back on your word that you would return us if we so chose?"

"I simply want to make sure that returning is your choice, Rogue, and that you are not being coerced in any way."

"GRRRR...." Logan's hands are getting almost painfully tight on my hips.

"Coerced by Logan, you mean?" Put your cards on the table, baldie. Don't imply, don't insinuate, don't infer. If you've got something to say, say it right out.

"Yes. He has not let you out of his sight, and I would feel better if you and I had a chance to speak privately."

"GRRRR!!"

"No. That won't - that won't be necessary. There's no coercion going on. I think we'll be leaving now." I'd rather not get in the plane now. Too chancy. Who knows what they could be planning. We'll have to find our way back, and we have exactly jack shit, but I'd rather just get the heck out of here. I'm starting to get the heebie-jeebies. Just going to start pulling Logan backwards with me, out of the room.

"Rogue, please, we mean you no harm - "

"You know, you keep saying that, but it looks an awful lot like you're trying to keep me here after I've already said I want to go. That's not harmful?" Oh-oh, Logan put the claws out. He's just a second or two from beserker rage, I can feel it. Just a few more steps, the doorway should be right behind me.

"I won't physically restrain you from leaving, but - "

"Then we're out of here." Doorway, hallway, good. Clear. No one in sight between here and what looks like the front door. "Let's go." I know Logan's torn between making a run for it and staying and kicking ass. I say we make a run for it.

"Grrr...."

"Come on, let's go, let's get out of here." Out the front door, onto the grounds. A hundred yards or so to the gate. Come on, come on.

"Rogue!" Oh, shit. I think that's bad Jean. "Rogue, please wait!"

"GRRRR!!!!" Crap. He's going to stand and fight now. He's turning and doing the putting me behind him thing. Crap.

"Rogue - don't go. We'll - we'll take you back. Please." At least she had the good sense to stop at a safe distance from his claws.

"No. We'll go ourselves. Get back, Jean, he's mad."

"GRRRR!!!"

"OK. All right. Just calm down."

"Calm? I'm perfectly calm. You people are nuts. And you're scaring Logan. We're leaving." Just have to tug Logan a little, I think he'll let me get him out of here and - whoa, he's turning - there's - there's someone else behind us. Shit, it's sunglass guy. Damn. We're stuck.

"Rogue, we just want to talk." Liar, liar, pants on fire, sunglass guy. "Please."

"I said no." Going to fight for sure now. Well, Logan's not the only one with a weapon. Maybe they'll realize we're serious if I take off the gloves. "Stay back. Let us leave."

"O-OK. All right, Rogue." Sunglass guy has a brain after all, he's stepping aside. I think - I think they're actually going to let us go.

"Come on, Logan. Let's get out of here. Come on." I know you want to show dominance and kick ass and all that alpha guy stuff, but let's just go.

"Grrr...." He's coming. Good. Whew. Thank goodness. Let's get the hell out of here.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, um, I was thinking that we should probably just start hitching north. I know how you feel about cars and all, but I really can't think of anything else at the moment. I mean, we don't have any money and we left all our stuff back there."

"No cars." He's totally freaked. And I don't blame him, I kind of am too. People with good intentions --they can be very, very scary. What's that old quote - the people with good intentions do the most damage because not even their own conscience restrains them? Something like that.

"I have an idea - we can get some money, at least a little. I know places where you can sell your blood and they give you juice and cookies and a little money, like usually twelve or fifteen bucks. That'd be something anyway. We can look in the phone book at a pay phone."

"OK....." Constantly looking around and looking for a threat. This has got to be like overload for him.

"It's going to be OK, it really is. Look, I know it's weird out here. But I've done this before. I mean, you know how you're in your element in the woods? Well, this is more like my element - trust me, OK?"

"I'm not gonna let them take you. We have to go back home."

I know how to fix this. I know how to make him feel better. If I go over to him, hug him a little, he'll know I mean it. He'll be able to smell me. "We will. And I'm not going anywhere. We'll make it back, trust me."

"OK." He's hugging back. Good. I think - I think we can do this.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And tonight's challenger, the Wolverine!" This is a bad, bad, and wrong idea. Very bad and very wrong. But we so need the money. We'd only gotten $38 from me selling my blood for two days. Logan can't do it -too many medical flashbacks. I told him it's OK, I understand, but when someone at the blood place took one look at him and suggested making money at a fight bar, he was all over that. Said he has to take care of us both and get us back to the mountain. And I'll admit - he's good. If he wins the round - and he's sure as hell been kicking ass so far - that's almost a thousand dollars for just this fight, almost three thousand total.

We've spent $1,200 of that so far. Really, that's not bad for two weeks worth of expenses, especially since we bought a car for $900 after the first fight. It's a truly horrible car - a 1982 Delta 88. But it doesn't matter if it's an old heap, it got us over the border. Between me selling blood and picking up a little day labor on the way, and Logan's four fights, we're making enough money to cover food, gas, supplies to last us a while up on the mountain, and maybe even more clothes.

I figure we're at least another day or two out -this'll be the last town and the last fight before we go up. Once we get back to the road near the mountain, we can just ditch the car and go on foot. Maybe we can even grab a few supplies - you know, maybe utensils and soap and stuff - here before we go up. I was thinking we'd even splurge and stay in a motel tonight instead of sleeping in the car.

I have to say, we've done a good job. The first week was really rough - no money, no clothes, sleeping outside at night. Ugh. If I never have to do that again in my life, I'll be perfectly happy. And Logan was still pretty freaked out. He still kind of is, but at least he's not so hyper about watching me to make sure I don't ditch him or something. He's easier about that now, but every day, at least once a day, he asks me again if I'm coming up to the mountain with him. I always say yes, of course, but he always asks.

Once we get back up - then what? - that's the question. I mean, we've got to come down eventually, but Logan's going to need some time to get over all this. He's not going to be wanting to let me out of his sight or off that mountain for a very long time. Well, I guess we'll just make it as liveable as we can in the mean time. He's a good hunter, so there'll be food. And we can keep piling up the animal skins -maybe cover the dirt floor with them if we get enough - you know, like carpet - and make a better bed out of them. We'll figure something out.

"The winner, the Wolverine!" Whoa, that was quick. He's - I hope he's OK. Time to go congratulate the winner.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what do you think?"

"I don't like it. It smells funny." His nose is all crinkly and scrunched up. That's kind of cute, the way he looks right now.

"Hmm. Yeah, it kind of does. But I thought it'd be nice to stay in a motel for once. Just as a change of pace."

"You like it?"

"It's OK."

"I like the car better." He likes it because it's familiar, because it smells like us, and because it's a small, contained space where I'm never more than an arm's reach away. I know him pretty well by now.

"Me too." Not really, but I kind of do, in a way, and that will reassure him. "But this is nice too. Besides, I've got a surprise for you." I've been doing a little shopping, and I know he saw me buying this stuff, but I'm not sure he really understands what I'm intending to use it for. He's used to just me touching him, you know, with gloved hands. He's been touching me too lately, with gloves, and I can tell it's a little frustrating for him, to just do it that way.

"What?" Part suspicious, part wary, and part excited. Well, the last surprise I had for him - a pair of sheer gloves that I found in a truck stop of all places - was a good one.

"I bought these." Tights, black, very soft, already on my body. "And these." Condoms, extra-large, ribbed. "I thought we might, you know, use them."

"Grrrr...." Oh yeah, that's the lusty growl. He's getting the picture. That's a happy naked animal guy, for sure.

"Come here, sugar. Go on, take off your clothes." He's all over that. That's my man. And he's already ready to go. No hiding that. Glad I went with extra-large.

"Grrr....." That sound just does something to me. I can feel it to the bottom of my feet when he does that. I think he knows it too. He gets a little grin sometimes when he catches me looking all swoony. Well, I'm just going to lay down on the bed, watch him put on that condom, and let him come to me.

"Rogue?" I love the way he feels on top of me, so heavy, so solid.

"Yeah?"

"Are you coming up to the mountain with me?" He's always so serious when he asks this, almost like he expects me to say no every time.

"Of course I am sugar, of course I am. You know, I'm not going to go anywhere without you. You go somewhere, I go too."

"Grrrr....." He's not much for preliminaries, already he's moving my legs apart. I know how much he's wanted this, though. You know, I honestly don't know how he deals with me sometimes. The no-touching thing has got to bug the heck out of him, with all those animal instincts. But you know, just when I think he's all animal, he goes and does something tender like rub my tummy through my shirt or kiss the back of my head.

"Yes, baby....." There - whoa, that hurts! And he's not moving, just looking at me and giving out a little whine. "It's OK. It's OK."

"Hurt?"

"Yeah, but that's all right, don't worry. I - I'm fine, sugar."

"I'll stop."

"No!" Oh no, hell no. I want this too. You don't fool around with someone with so much raw sexual energy and not want to do it, really do it. "I mean, um, it's OK. It'll stop hurting in a little bit, and I really want this. Please?" I know he won't be able to say no if I move a little myself. He'll feel how good it feels, and he'll go with it as long as I keep reassuring him I'm OK. "Yes, yes, that's good..." He's on board now.

"Grrr.......yes............gggrrrrr!" I know it's supposed to hurt, but damn! That really did hurt at first. Feels a little better now. Nice, almost.

"Go on, sugar, yeah..." He likes it when I talk to him in bed, even if it's just little things, little encouragements.

"GRRR!!!" He's not going to last too long. That's OK. It's just the first time. There'll be lots more times. "GRRRRRRR!!!!!"

"Yes, baby, yes."

"GGRWWOOLLLLL!!!!!"

That's it, he's done. Whoa. He's really panting after that. Well, good, it means he liked it.

"Rogue......."

"Yes, sugar, right here." Just going to ease him off me a little. He needs to take the condom off.

"Rogue....."

"Yes, sugar. Let me - let me help you with that." Just going to carefully take that off, and - OK, done. Good work, Rogue, mission accomplished. Having sex with Logan definitely accomplished.

"You didn't........."

"That's all right, sugar. We have plenty of time. I'm not going anywhere." Whoa. He's on top of me again all of a sudden. I wonder if - no, no, he's not ready to go again, he's looking at me real intently. "Logan?"

"Why do you keep saying that?"

"Saying what?"

"That you'll stay. That you'll go with me to the mountain."

"Because that's what I'm going to do."

"But, you're....." He gets like this sometimes, he can't find the right words, or get the ones he's thinking of out the way he wants. Best just to wait. And maybe stroke his hair a little. He usually likes that. "You're not.....you're not like me."

"What do you mean?"

"You're....the people at the school - they all talked to you. No one talked to me there."

You know, now that I think about that, he's right. They didn't really talk to him. They just kind of ignored him. I wonder - maybe it's the growling thing. Maybe they just wrote him off as some dumb animal guy. Well, they've done enough damage, I'm not going to let him think badly of himself on top of it. "Don't go by them. They're weird."

"But other people - people in the bars, they talk to you, you were getting people to pick you up on the road, people try to help you. People don't talk to me or try to help me. You could - you could get more of that if you left me. Don't you know that?" That was the most he's said, ever. I can tell he's really thinking about this, that it's very important to him. So, even though it's clearly, you know, stupid and ridiculous that I'd ever, ever leave him for that, I have to handle it seriously.

"Look, Logan - I don't care about all that. I - I don't really care if people talk to me or help me as long as you talk to me and you help me."

"But I - "

"Logan? Why did you jump me on the side of the road that day?" He's told me a couple times, but not the whole story. I think I know what he means, though. I think I know what's under there.

"I smelled you."

"And what did I smell like? What made me smell good to you?"

Burning hazel eyes now. So strong, so full of fire. It's times like this that I wonder what he must've been like before, and I hate like hell the people who hurt him. "You smelled like mine."

"Don't you think I know that too, sugar? Don't you think that's true? Have your senses ever lied to you so far?"

"But - "

"No buts about it. You and me. That's what's important, not other people. Not whether we live in a little house or a big one, not whether we sleep on a bed or on a bear skin. You and me. That's how it's going to be form here on out."

"I-I want that. Bad."

"Me too. Me too. And we're going to have it. I promise. OK?"

"OK." Oh, God, that's so.....the way he just laid his head down over my heart, it's so beautiful. I know in my head, he's naked animal guy to me, probably always will be, but it's not - he's not all animal. There's a lot of wonderful person guy in there too. And I love the both of them. I love them a lot.