Poor Little Rogue

Title: Alter-Eighteen: Poor Little Rogue
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: R
Summary: Alternate Version of events leading up to Eighteen Cities in Twenty-One Days. Rogue isn't quite like everyone thinks.
Disclaimer: David is mine, the others are not.
Archive: Ask, and I'll be more than happy to provide.
Feedback: Please? Pleasepleaseplease?
Author's Notes: This was inspired again by my beta reading best friend (brbf), who asked for a story where Logan never starts writing like he did in Eighteen Letters. I got to thinking that a teenager who hitch-hikes to Canada is probably something of a free spirit and a pretty strong person. My brbf also mentioned how, in the movie, Rogue seems less concerned with Logan than he with her. I mean, she's just chillin', taking classes and playing foosball, and he's all about "where's Rogue?" every minute of the day. Kinda makes you wonder if she's as into him as everyone thinks......


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


She knew what they all thought. Poor little Rogue, pining away for Logan and wearing those tags of his everywhere, poor little Rogue with a crush on Logan. Logan who lusted after Jean, Logan who's probably been screwing strippers and hookers nonstop since he left. She didn't really care to correct them. Didn't feel like explaining to them that a girl who'd set out for Alaska from Mississippi with a bag full of clothes and a hundred and five dollars to her name wasn't one to pine. Didn't feel like telling them anything about her feelings for Logan. Didn't feel like reminding them that crushes were based on fantasy, and that she had an awful lot of reality-Logan in her head.

It wasn't that she resented them for thinking it, really. It was just....private. It was a part of her that she kept to herself, a part of her that reminded her who she was before she came to Xavier's, when she was new at being Rogue. And the tags were just a comfort, a reminder that she had an ace in the hole. A reminder that somewhere, he was out there, that she'd been his first (and probably only) loyalty, and that he'd help her if she needed it. Sometimes it scared her, to think that she depended on him for that, but then she reminded herself that it wasn't some little girl fantasy or plain old wishful thinking. He'd saved her life twice, and the Logan in her head gave her no room for doubt that he'd do it as often as needed, and with no qualms whatsoever. That kind of bond wasn't love, not romantic love with hearts and flowers and dashing heroes and maidens in distress. It was something deep, primal, and sacred, and to name it anything demeaned it. Trying to explain that would have just demeaned it more, so she didn't.

The tags were also a talisman of sorts, and a shield. A warning to anyone who might think about screwing with her, a reminder who they'd have to answer to. They put everyone on notice that she wasn't as alone in the world as she might seem. They also tended to keep most of the boys at school away from her, which was just fine with her. There were still some, though, who were eager to help her get over her crush on Logan. When she realized that the spark of recognition or synchronicity or heat that she was looking for would not be forthcoming from them, she simply fingered the tags and put a far away look in her eye. They got the picture soon enough. And she began to realize that finding someone, someone she could see that spark in, was a very rare thing.

So it came as a surprise to Rogue as much as everyone else when she brought David home with her. She'd met him in art class, and really talked to him for the first time while they were in line to get coffee. He'd wondered out loud why things had to be grande and venti, instead of small or large, and she let out a laugh. They ended up talking for three hours over coffee, and the spark was definitely there. He was cute and educated and witty, and he didn't flinch when she told him she was a mutant, or what her mutation did. He must have felt that spark too, because he asked her to head to his place and talk some more, and the thought that he wanted sex from her never crossed her mind.

Instead, she took him to Xavier's. She had her own room, but they lodged in front of the TV downstairs. The TV stayed off, and they talked into the morning. She noticed that he didn't hesitate to touch her, but that he wasn't doing it carelessly, either. She liked that, that she could trust him to be careful. She liked that he laughed at her jokes, and made her laugh in return. She liked his brown hair and blue eyes, and New England accent. But more than anything, she liked just being Rogue with him. He made her feel more like herself than anyone had in a very long time.

Rogue took him to early breakfast that morning, and made introductions, but not explanations. David smiled politely and ate heartily, and very graciously answered the not-so-subtle questions of her friends. At the end, when they had to leave for classes, the Professor smiled at her, and Jean looked at her a little sadly, and Scott's jaw was tense. She knew what it all meant - Charles was happy she'd found someone, Jean thought poor little Rogue was heading for heartache, and Scott didn't trust an outsider, a non-mutant, and thought he must be after something. Rogue expected all of that, and the disappointed looks from Jubilee and Kitty, who thought she was somehow betraying Logan, when all she was betraying was their fantasy of how her relationship with Logan should be. Logan himself was quiet on the subject, except for a whisper in her mind, a ghost of a feeling that he wanted her to play it out, follow her instincts.

She and David were fairly inseparable since then. Their physical relationship progressed quickly, and he was an attentive and generous lover. He began spending nights in her room, making her feel beautiful and wanted and loved and cherished. He always whispered that he loved her when he touched her, and she believed it. After a while, she whispered it to him too, and stopped thinking about how he made her feel and started thinking about how she could make him feel wanted and loved and cherished. Logan was entirely absent from her in those moments, and it was odd, but she welcomed more space for her in her head, more space to fix these experiences in her memory and relish them.

Their perfect and blissful existence lasted about nine months. The call came to Jean, and, if Rogue had been able to choose who answered the phone at that moment, Jean would have been relatively low on the list. She knew Jean thought that was because of Logan, and maybe part of it was, because she didn't like wanting Jean like he did. Most of it, though, was Jean's pitying looks and earnest efforts to help her. For some reason, she thought for a second about explaining that to Jean when she answered. But she just told Jean, in hurried and clipped tones, that they'd been hit head on by a drunk driver, and that she was going with David to the emergency room at Salem Center. Jean was starting to tell her to stay calm and that she'd be right there, but Rogue interrupted to say that all she wanted was for Jean to bring her some changes of clothes and gloves, and a few toiletries. She'd be staying at the hospital for the next few days.

Jean was a little stunned, but followed her instructions. David had severe injuries and some third-degree burns. He was driving, and the drivers side was smashed up into a building when the car rolled. Rogue was mostly fine. She'd been wearing her seatbelt, and had gotten David out before the car really caught fire. She had a few scratches, some burns that might be hiding under singed gloves and sleeves, and a concussion probably, but no way to know for sure because she'd refused treatment at the hospital and also from Jean. They moved David to the intensive care unit, and told Rogue to call his family if he had any. He didn't. Rogue stayed with him for three days, watching him die slowly. They talked about everything they needed to, and somehow having the chance to do that made it a little better. When they talked about him dying, she'd offered to touch him, to end it, but he didn't want that, and she probably already knew it when she asked. She did touch him, just a little, when it was almost over, so she could keep a little piece of him. When he sorted himself out in her head, he wasn't angry about it, he understood.

Jean and Scott and Ororo worried about her. She'd cried nonstop for three days when she came home, sobbing hard enough to lose her voice completely for two days after. In the midst of those first three days, she asked Charles for permission to bury David on the grounds and to bury him herself. Somehow, he understood, and agreed. He wasn't worried about her, but the others were, and so they followed her out onto the far reaches of the grounds as she carried David wrapped in a sheet from the linen closet and a shovel. They watched as she laid him down and sat silently with him for almost an hour. They watched as the sun went down, and as she finally rose and began digging. Rogue realized they were there about halfway through - Logan had been coming up in her, strong, since David died, mostly just watching over her as she went through what she needed to - and stopped digging just long enough to cast a glare at where they were concealed. If they could read her at all, they'd know it meant that even if they stayed friends, she would never forgive them this. Now, this moment, this last day with him wasn't just about David and her anymore, it had to be about them too.

She kept digging, waiting for them to decide whether to come out and talk to her or to just go. Rogue was hoping they'd use whatever good sense they had and leave, but deep down she knew they'd just have to "fix" her. Might as well make the time in between productive, though, so she dug right along until the three of them were within a few feet of her. She stopped digging but didn't put down the shovel or turn to face them. She was breathing hard. Gravedigging wasn't easy, on a lot of levels.

"Rogue," Scott began. Of course he would go first, he was always the fearless leader. "We're worried about you." That wasn't new information to her, so she refrained from comment. She could almost feel him looking to Jean. "We, ah, know how hard this must be for you."

Now that was new information, and, Rogue was pretty sure, inaccurate information. "How hard is this for me?" She was still crying, and her voice was starting to go, but she managed to get it out like a question.

She still hadn't turned, and she knew they were glancing back and forth at each other, casting about for an answer. Finally, Jean spoke, "We know how much you loved David. His death was tragic, and I understand that you - "

Maybe if it hadn't been Jean, she wouldn't have said anything, maybe she still would have, she was never sure when she thought about it later. All she knew then was that Logan was growling and wide awake now, confirming that she needed them away from her, that she needed to be protected from them. She whirled, fast, still holding the shovel. "You have no idea. How can you possibly be so arrogant as to think you do? I'm not some child you are responsible for taking care of. I live my own life. None of this is your business. None. It is something private, something that is between me and David and Logan and Erik. Not any of you."

"Rogue, this isn't healthy -" Scott actually had the poor judgment to reach out a hand to her, which she promptly smacked back with the shovel.

"Fuck healthy. This is what I need to do, and I'm going to do it. Leave." That was part Rogue, part Logan. David was sitting this one out, just kind of sad. Erik, though, bubbled up a little too. She felt Erik whisper in her mind to Charles, and she didn't fight him. If anyone could wrench these three apart from their good intentions, it would be the Professor.

Which is what must've happened, since they all got the distinctive look of hearing a telepathic message, then looked at her with pity and fear, then left. She finished digging, and sat with his body in the grave until the sun came up. She told him how much she loved him, and how glad she was that he loved her back, and that she'd never regret the time they spent together even though it had ended like this and she was hurting now. Then, as the sunrise painted the grounds in color, she did something she didn't know she could. She reached out to touch David's bare forehead, and pushed the part of him that was in her back out. She owed him that much, to bury him complete. She was following her instincts and she knew it was right.

It took her the whole day to dig dirt back over the grave, and she came back to the mansion dirty and sweaty. No one said anything; apparently, the Professor had had a little talk with everyone. She just collapsed into bed, cried for one more day, then stopped. She stayed in her room virtually every moment for the next week. The week after that, she got out of bed, packed a bag, and stopped to tell the Professor that she needed to be on the road, needed to be moving for a while. He let her go, but extracted a promise to return in a month. She gave it, and accepted the offer of cash and a Jeep, then left without talking with anyone else.

The month on the road had been what she needed, and it had the side benefit of indulging Logan's tastes - for bourbon and cigars, for movement and the open road, even, one night in Calgary, for a curvy stripper named Bonnie. She enjoyed it too, thinking how long it had been since she'd been made to have an orgasm and how not-odd it was that a woman excited her enough to do so. As the month closed, she felt like she'd sorted herself out enough to return, so she kept her promise.

Logan came home a few days after that, and people were mostly relieved. Kitty and Jubes had some romantic notion that he knew Rogue was in trouble and was coming to somehow save her and make it all better. In fact, it was sheer coincidence - he'd gotten some info he wanted to give to the Professor, some files, and was stopping in before heading out again. He went to the Professor before looking for Rogue, and everyone must have bought into Kitty and Jubilee's theory because they all regarded him as though he'd committed some offense by doing so. But all she was thinking when she chanced past Charles' office and saw him coming out was that she was glad he was OK. She didn't know what she'd do if she lost him right now too. She needed her ace in the hole.

"Hey, kid." He smiled at her easily, and, just by that she knew Charles hadn't said anything to him about her. She gave a brilliant and generous smile in return, and hugged him tightly just for good measure. "Whoa, you're gonna suffocate me."

"Nah," Rogue smiled up at him, but didn't let go, "You're tough."

That got her a wink. "How ya been doin', kid?" He reached out, tracing the white in her hair. "They treatin' you OK?"

"Not as good as you do," she bantered back. God, she had missed him. Missed this - the kind of back and forth they'd had. She let him go a little, and they just stood there like that for a few seconds. "Did you find anything?" Logan looked down, and she knew that he had, and that he would tell her some of it but not all, and later, not now. "Did you have any fun?"

At that, he grinned mischeviously. "A little."

She stepped away from him, breaking the contact entirely, and tossing a sideways glance to Scott and Jean, who were approaching them from down the hall. Jean looked radiant as always, and Scott looked slightly constipated, which was his usual expression around Logan. "Hey," Jean called, "Glad to have you back." She stepped up to him and hugged him lightly, and Scott shook his hand. Rogue caught Jean's sad and somewhat apologetic glance at her and Rogue wanted to tell her again how nothing was like she thought.

"I gotta go," Rogue offered. "Catch you later?"

"Sure, kid."

Logan watched her go, a ridiculously pleased smile on his face. When he turned back, when Rogue was out of sight and earshot, Scott and Jean both heaved sighs and worried looks in her direction of departure. Logan simply raised an eyebrow at them. "What? Something wrong?"

The Professor answered for them all. "Rogue has had something of a difficult time lately. She's had some personal difficulties."

"Like what?" Logan was on-guard now, and not subtle about it either. He stood up a little straighter, major muscle groups tensed, his eyes narrowed.

"She'll tell you when she's ready." The Professor directed the words to Logan but his warning expression was for Scott and Jean. "She's doing much better now. And Logan - it is good to have you back." With that, he turned and wheeled back into his office.

"What the hell is he talking about?" The Professor's words had ratcheted him up, and he was unconsciously flexing his hands.

Jean and Scott exchanged glances before Scott answered. "She's.....she needs to be the one to talk to you about it, if she wants to."

"Somebody hurt her?"

"No, not exactly. She, uh, went through a difficult time, and we were a little worried for her, but I think she'll be fine. Actually," Scott interrupted himself as though the thought had just hit his brain, "it might be good for her to have you here."

Jean frowned a little at that, apparently not sharing her husband's assessment. "She's vulnerable right now, Logan. You know she's always been a little taken with you. Just be careful." Logan looked at her in genuine confusion. "She doesn't need to be.....she just needs some time, Logan."

He honestly didn't understand what she was saying, and it seemed tangential to the issue of Marie being hurt or having a hard time, or whatever was going on. "I'll talk to her." He turned, and followed her scent. He opened the door to see her sitting indian-style on the bed. She looked unsurprised, but quirked up a corner of her mouth and said, "I didn't think seeing you later would come this soon."

He wasn't amused at all. "What happened to you while I was gone?"

She sighed. She knew someone would clue him in in short order. "Come in. Sit down. Close the door." She patted the space beside her on the bed, and noticed that his tension wasn't dissipating. Some part of her realized that it might be because he thought she might not tell him. She wouldn't do that, she'd decided straight off. They'd always been up-front with each other. The only question was how to explain, and, not having been overly big on explaining herself ever since she'd become Rogue, that was the hard part. She'd carefully thought out how to tell him when she was on the road, because she'd felt closest to him then. She knew enough to realize that he'd be told, and soon, after he showed up again, and that Jean and Scott and 'Ro would give her the chance to tell the whole story herself. At least at first. She exhaled as he sat, and began.

"A few months after you left, right after I graduated, I met someone. His name was David."

"Did he hurt you? Did he do something to you?" Logan was flexing his hands again, and she knew that was a sign that the claws were itching to pop. She did it sometimes too.

"No, no. We started dating. I fell in love with him. Really in love, head over heels in love, more in love than I ever thought I would be. We were together for about nine months, and then there was an accident. We were coming back to the mansion from dinner, and we were hit head on by a drunk driver. David was killed. He's been dead for almost two months now." She'd settled on a very simple, but complete explanation. She knew he'd ask what he wanted to know.

Logan fidgeted for a minute, then looked at her appraisingly. She schooled her features into an open expression, encouraging him. "Was he a mutant?"

"No."

"Your skin...."

"Not a problem."

"Did he love you too?"

"Very much." Rogue felt the tears coming, and didn't feel the need to try to stop them.

"I'm sorry, darlin'." He moved to put an arm around her as the tears continued to fall.

"Me too," she agreed, and let herself drop into his embrace. "What else?"

"Hmm?"

"What else do you want to know? It'll be easier for me to get it all out at once." Gently, encouraging him.

"Why are they all so worried for you?"

She shifted to face him. "There's a short, simple answer to that, and a long, complicated one. Which one do you want to hear?"

"What's the short one?"

"Because they care about me."

He shook his head a little. "OK, give me the other one."

Marie nodded, and took his hand in hers. "When we came here, when everything that happened, happened....No, let me start over." She gathered her thoughts for a few minutes and he sat, waiting, and caressing her hand. "OK. You picked me up on the road in Canada and saved my life twice. You risked your life in the process." He was giving her a look that said - yeah, I know all this. "I didn't want you to leave when you did." Now he looked a little uncomfortable. "Don't feel guilty. See - that's part of the explanation, that right there. I didn't expect you to stay, I knew you needed to go, and you promised that you'd be back. I didn't want you to go, but I understood. But everybody else thought.....everybody thought that I had a crush on you and that I was just heartbroken that you'd left."

"You didn't have a crush on me?" His eyebrow jutted up and she remembered how much she missed that gesture.

"To be honest, there were moments when I felt a little like that. Like you were some big, manly god that saved me from certain death. Like I could just swoon into your arms, like some romance novel heroine. But mostly, I didn't. I had you up here."

He winced when she tapped the side of her head. "Not too pretty, huh? Not like a romance novel."

"No, not like a romance novel. But I liked having you with me. You're still pretty strong up there. I just meant that - I knew you. I didn't have some idealized fantasy of you, I really, really knew you. So, no crush. Plus, when we first met, you know, before we were attacked, we had a real relationship right from the start. I - I don't know - it felt like I recognized you or something."

He nodded. "I know what you mean."

"You felt like that too?" Her eyebrows had creased, and the tears were leaving her eyes.

"I'm not really the kind of guy that just helps out random people."

"Yeah. Anyway, everybody thought - oh, poor Rogue, having a crush on older, manly Logan."

"Why do you keep calling me manly?" He was joking now, teasing.

"Are you saying you aren't?" She said it with a big Marie smile. "Stop interrupting and let me explain. Where was I?"

"I was manly and you had it bad for me."

"Uh-huh. Anyhow, I probably didn't help matters much by always wearing these," she lifted the tags outside of her sweater, "but I liked having a reminder of you. It comforted me to know that you were out there and that you'd help me if I needed you. I know that the Professor and all of them would, but it's different with you. I know you'd give anything, and that you'd do what was best for me, not just what you thought was best. There's a difference." He was looking at her intently, and, for once, she couldn't read him.

"So I wore the tags, and everyone started thinking of me as this mooney little kid, waiting for you to come back. I wanted you to come back, Logan, but I wasn't putting my life on hold until you did." He nodded again, and his expression shifted. "When I met David, well, I think that everyone thought - poor Rogue, getting involved in a relationship with a normal human who obviously can't really want her because of her skin. Poor Rogue, trying to forget Logan with someone else. At least that's what they thought at first. And that kind of pissed me off, but I didn't really feel like having a deep personal talk about it. Besides, I was all about David then, and I barely noticed other people, let alone gave a damn what they thought."

"But after a few months, I think that everyone realized that I was in love with David, and that he was in love with me too." She took on a naughty grin. "And, frankly, we woke everyone on my floor up in the middle of the night enough to get them to realize we worked out the skin issues."

Logan let out a chuckle, almost involuntarily. A much darker expression immediately washed over him, though. "You slept with him?"

"Yes, repeatedly."

"That's not funny, Marie."

"No, it wasn't, it was beautiful and perfect and - wait, I take that back, sometimes it was funny, too." She laughed a little, but he still seemed disgruntled. "Hey, don't tell me that you're going to have a problem with that. You call me 'kid' all the time, but you have to realize......."

"It's not that, it's just......" She let him trail off, waited for him to find the words. "I wasn't ready to hear that, I guess." He rubbed her hand a little more strongly. "Was he good to you?"

"Very. Logan, you know I love you, right?" This conversation was already heading for the surreal, but she let it out on instinct.

"Yeah, darlin'. It's not about that. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm happy for ya." He still looked tense, unsettled, though.

Marie closed her eyes, reaching for him in her head, hoping for a clue. "Let me back up a little. I didn't wear the tags just because of what I said. There's something else too. It was a document." He looked at her quizzically. "It was proof that I belonged to you and you belonged to me. It was true before you gave me the tags. I think it was true the first night we were here, when you stabbed me and I almost killed you. We bled for each other, and these tags documented it. Am I making sense?"

"Yeah." He relaxed a little as he said it. "I didn't mean to....."

"I know."

"Yeah."

She took a deep cleansing breath. "Anyway, back to our story. After a while, I think everybody realized that we were in love, and that it was real, and serious. When he died, it was bad. I took it very hard. And I just hated that everyone was trying to help me through it. All the kind looks, all the 'keep your chin up, little buckaroo' pats on the shoulder, all the offers to talk about what I was feeling. I didn't want any of it because it felt cheap. No look, no talk was going to purge what was going on inside me, and I didn't want it to. I didn't want it to because if I was in so much pain, it was proof that I loved him that much too, right? I rejected everyone who was trying to support me. And not just because of that. Because it was private, you know? Because it was deep in me, and kind of this sacred thing that I didn't want everyone to get a finger into."

She paused, tried to center herself a little for what was coming next. "He was in the hospital for three days after the accident. He was conscious, in and out, for most of it. We said everything that had to be said, and I knew I had to let him go. When he started slipping away, though, I panicked a little. I couldn't let him go yet. I touched him, and I took him in right as he passed away. It was weird. I don't think that I got weird because of it, but I know that at least Jean and the Professor knew I did it, and it freaked them a little. David....he didn't have any family, and I brought his body back and buried him here, on the grounds. I wrapped him in my favorite sheet, and I carried him out to bury him myself, out by the lake." The tears were falling again, and she let them go. "The Professor understood that I needed to, I don't know, get some kind of closure. But I think Scott and Jean, and Storm too, were worried. They thought it was more than a little morbid. So they followed me out and hid and watched as I started digging David's grave."

Logan tensed again, squeezing her hand a little. She smiled. "Thought you might understand why that would piss me off. I noticed them after a while, and they had to be convinced to leave. I guess I'm still holding a grudge about that. I wanted that time, the last time I had on earth with him to be just us, you know? It was enough that I had to share it with you and Erik in my head. I wanted it to be private, and special, and right. I wanted to let him go right." A heaving breath steadied her a little. "Well, it got a little nasty, and I think that freaked them out. Poor little Rogue - going nutty because she lost her boyfriend, that kind of thing." She paused, debating whether to tell him what came next. Clear hazel eyes convinced her that it was all right. "Before I closed the grave, I put him back. I didn't really know what I was doing, or that I could even do it, but I pushed him out of my head and back into him. Not his body, he was already gone from there, but back into him, wherever he was. It was absolutely the most intense, most emotional moment of my whole life."

"Musta been hard to give him up."

"Yeah, but it felt right. I think I was supposed to." Logan nodded. "I came back to the house, cried, locked myself in my room for a week, then split without telling anyone but the Professor. I was gone for a month. I just needed to get out. I think that worried them too - poor Rogue, can't even deal with it. She's running, just like Logan. They forget that I was on the road and running when you found me, you know?" That drew a smirk from him. "And when I came back, I was OK. Really OK. I'd made my peace, you know? I think that freaked them out most of all. Poor, emotionally unstable Rogue, trying to put on a brave face, trying to smile through the pain."

"Are you?"

"You know me. What do you think?" She tilted her head just a little, and looked at him.

"I think it still hurts but you're through the worst of it. I think you'll be OK."

"Yeah. So, that's the long, complicated answer to why they're so worried."

"Makes a little sense of what Jeannie said."

"Oh, Lord, what did she say?"

Logan grinned wickedly. "That you've always been a little taken with me and that I should be careful because you're vulnerable. Not to hurt you."

"I should get her back for that," Marie said good-naturedly. "I should go downstairs and cry and hold on to your tags. Oh, woe is me, he does not love me, he loves another." Marie lolled her head back and put her free hand dramatically to her brow. "No, Jean, you cannot comfort me, for you are the one he desires." She dissolved into giggles.

Logan laughed a little too, but caught her gaze after a few moments. "You know, I do love you, Marie." That he could say it so easily to her should've surprised him, but didn't.

"Yeah."

"And, Jeannie, she's just....."

"Yeah, I know." She brought both gloved hands to his. "But thanks for telling me."

He nodded, solemn. "You've been real straight with me. You didn't have to tell me all that."

"I trust you. And you know me."

"Yeah." He reclined on the bed, gently laying her down at his side. "It's good to be back."

Marie smiled, snuggled into him a little. "You want to tell me anything about what you found out there?" His body tensed against hers. And not in the good kind of way, she thought. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"I didn't find anything good. A few things, here and there, mostly confirmed what I already knew or thought mighta happened. The government got a hold of me, you know, before. I guess I worked for them for a lotta years, did a lotta bad things. I think they wiped my head after I didn't do something they wanted, or didn't do it the way they wanted, I don't know. I found some files that I thought Chuck should see - looks like more recent experiments on mutants."

"Are you going to keep looking?"

He brought both arms around her in an embrace, and that surprised her a little. "Don't know. Gonna go back out real soon, though."

She stroked his arms, trying to comfort him. "Whatever you did, Logan, don't forget that you did a hell of a lot of good too."

"You're about all that's in the 'good' column, darlin'."

"Well, I'm certainly the best thing, no argument there," she teased, "but you helped put Magneto away, saved thousands of lives. And that was just one night."

He grunted a little at that. "I guess."

"I know you. I've seen everything in your heart. You're good. Believe that." He didn't respond, except to hold her a little tighter, to lean his cheek into the top of her head. "Hey, I think there's a hockey game on tonight. Flames-Maple Leafs. Wanna watch it with me?"

"Up here?"

"Wherever."

"We can have beer up here without Scooter bustin' ya. I bet ya have a craving for Molson."

"Up here it is."



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He ran into Scooter on the way back up with the beer. Lots of beer. He'd grabbed some pretzels for good measure too. "Where are you going with that?" Leave it to good old Scott to be beer policeman.

"Gonna watch the hockey game." He moved past Scott and toward the stairs.

"Did you talk to Rogue?"

Logan paused and turned back to him. "Yeah." He was suddenly angry and couldn't put his finger on why.

"How is she?" He knew Scott was really asking if she'd told him.

"Fine." Logan figured he'd take that as a "no," but he didn't really care, and he didn't want to talk about it. Marie had obviously not been sharing with Scooter and Jean.

"She's not fine, Logan. She's in trouble."

"No, Scooter, she's not." He began ascending the stairs again. That anger was jumping up a notch.

"Logan, just because she doesn't want to tell you what happened doesn't mean everything's OK."

That snapped something in him, and he turned back on Scott. "You shouldn't have done it, Cyclops." He never tired of mocking Scott with his code name. "You had no right to follow her out to the grave. That was her business." He headed upstairs, leaving a shocked Scott at the foot of the stairs.

Logan cursed and grumbled his way back to her room. The expression on his face was unmistakably angry, and anyone else might've been scared when he opened the door looking like that. But it wasn't anyone lounging on the bed and watching hockey, it was Marie, and she just smiled. "Has the beer angered you?"

"No, Scooter. Pain in my ass." He chucked one of the three six packs he'd acquired on the bed, followed by the pretzels.

"He's very protective of the beer. Doesn't want those of us who are underage to partake," she teased, snagging one of the Molsons.

Logan sat beside her, leaning up against the headboard. "It's not that. He was asking how you were."

"And that pissed you off?"

"Yeah."

"Welcome to my world," she snickered, and he finally lightened. "No score yet."

"Any fights?"

"Not yet."

"Good. Hate to miss anything." He grinned at her, and she grinned back, and for the first time in a long time, she really did feel OK.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere near the end of the third period, there was a knock on the door. Rogue and Logan exchanged a look before Rogue called, "Yes?"

"Ah, Rogue? It's Scott. Do you have a moment to talk?"

"Can it wait?" She asked it even as she roused herself off the bed to open the door.

"Uh, well, I suppose, but....."

Rogue opened the door a little, and stepped out, closing it behind her. She was not really wanting Scott to see the many, many empty beer cans strewn around on her floor. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to apologize, you know, for anything we might have done to upset you. I was talking to the Professor and thinking about everything that's happened, and I wanted to make sure you knew we only were concerned for you, Rogue. We didn't mean to make things worse."

Rogue looked a little surprised, but had suspected that the Professor would have another "chat" with them due to Logan's return. She just hadn't thought any of it would actuallly get through to them. "I know that, Scott, and I appreciate it."

He gave a small nod. "So we're OK?"

"We're OK." Rogue was struck with a mischievous idea as Scott turned to go. "Scott - there is one thing." He paused and turned to face her. "Do you think you could get Jean off my case? I know she thinks I have this big crush on Logan, and don't get me wrong, he's real attractive and everything, you know, in a manly kind of way." She heard a muffled snicker from somewhere behind the closed door as she rolled her eyes a little to punctuate the comment. "But I'm really OK with him. She doesn't have to protect me from getting my feelings hurt, OK?"

"She's just looking out for you, Rogue. He hasn't really made a secret of his feelings for her."

"I know, Scott."

"Doesn't that bother you?" He took a step back toward Rogue's door. "I mean, I know you said you don't have a crush on him but don't you have some feelings for him?" She heard Logan come off the bed and approach her from behind. She was sure he could hear this little conversation quite well through the thick oak door all along, but now it seemed he was taking a little more interest.

"No, it doesn't bother me, and yes, of course I have some feelings for him." Back to perfunctory, non-explanatory Rogue. Scott had asked earnestly, and Rogue was beginning to regret her little bout of mischief. This conversation was quickly heading into territory she didn't want to be in.

"And you don't mind that he leers after my wife like she's some kind of hors d'oeuvre?"

"Scott, you know half the reason he does it is to get your goat."

"You don't think he really wants her?"

"I didn't say that. I said it doesn't bother me, and I was trying to subtly imply that it's not doing you any good to let it bother you either. Do you honestly think she'd cheat on you, Scott?"

"No, but knowing she wants to isn't exactly a comfort."

"Maybe you should talk to her about that."

Scott smirked in a way she hadn't seen in a long time. "Now who's taking care of who?"

Rogue laughed a little. "Keep your chin up, little buckaroo!" They both were laughing now.

"Oh God, were we really that bad?"

"Worse, even." She looked at him softly. "Thanks, Scott."

"Thank you." He started toward the stairs, then turned, with a mischievous look of his own. "And enjoy the rest of the game with Logan. You let him drink most of that beer."

Rogue smiled genuinely after him. She'd forgotten that he could be like that - joking, teasing, loose. Well, loose for Scott. It was nice to see that side of him. She turned and opened the door to find Logan back on the bed. "You heard all that, did you?" He simply grunted. "Whatcha thinkin'?"

"Scooter's not as stupid as he looks."

"He's just trying to hold on to Jean."

"She wouldn't cheat on him, darlin'."

"You sure about that?" She looked at him appraisingly.

He shifted to look at her directly, holding her gaze. "Doesn't really matter."

"Why not?"

"I wouldn't do anything about it."

"Well, not while she was married to Scott, but if she left him - "

"Still wouldn't matter."

"Huh. I don't really get that." Rogue lay down on the bed, trying to figure it in her head. The Logan up there wasn't really helping out any.

"To tell the truth, I'm not sure I do either. Yeah, she's hot as hell, but, she's Jeannie, you know?"

"Not the kind of girl you just sleep with? The kind you get serious about?"

"No, just....I don't know.....she's more fun as a fantasy. The real thing....she's the kind of girl that wants someone like One-Eye, someone stable and dependable. She'd burn through me in a couple weeks, and, yeah, it'd be good and it'd scratch an itch, but then it'd be over. What fun is that when I can harass Scooter for life?" He grinned at her, and she returned it. Then his grin changed, became flirty. "Besides, you're my only girl, baby."

Rogue smacked his arm in response. "Oh, please! Are you forgetting I've got you in my head? I wouldn't even know where to start with that one. And are you saying that I'm NOT the kind of girl who likes stability?"

"That's exactly what I'm sayin'. Come on, I might not have you up here, but you can't tell me that seventeen year old girls who hitch to Canada and sneak rides with metal-claw-havin', cage-match-fightin' mutants are all about safety and stability."

"Really?" Her lips drew down in a pout. "Maybe I was just going through a phase," she teased. "Maybe Scott has been a good influence, and now, instead of hitting the road, I just, you know, make a quilt or something...." She was snickering even before she finished.

"Oh yeah, that's you. Can I ask ya just one question, though? Were you quilting out on the road for the last month?"

She dissolved into laughter wholeheartedly then. "Yes, yes, that's it," she choked out between giggles. "I was quilting, touring the country's sewing meccas, yeah....."

He became a little serious. "What were ya doin'?"

"Just moving, thinking."

"Anything interesting happen?" He settled a hand on her thigh, began stroking it a little.

"Yeah, but that's between me and the road." She felt relaxed, and his touch felt natural on her. She told herself not to think about it, just to go with it.

"Aw, come on, you're no fun."

"Something did happen that made me a little curious, but I don't know if you'd wanna hear it."

"Sure." He could tell her mood had shifted a little, and he let his hand fall from her leg as she sat up.

"I was in Calgary, and I ended up at this strip bar." He arched an eyebrow at her, and she shook her head in reply. "Don't ask. That's not the interesting part. I ended up talking with one of the girls, Bonnie. I ended up taking her back to my motel room."

"That was nice of ya. Did she need a place to stay?" The look on his face was so clueless, Rogue let out a laugh. "What?"

"Logan, I meant, I took her back to my motel room." He still looked a little lost. She decided to clear it up for him. "I had sex with her." That had his attention. Rogue hoped she hadn't miscalculated. She didn't think he'd have any hang ups about that, but.....

"Whoa." He looked surprised, definitely, but not mad or disgusted or anything. In fact, if Rogue hadn't known better, she'd say he had a little interest in there too.

"I know. I've never really been attracted to women, well, except Jean, and that's because of you." Rogue paused to check his expression, and it was open, so she continued. "I liked it. I don't think it means I'm gay - maybe it means I'm bi? It was just one of those things. At first I thought it was because it might be too soon after David for a man, and I haven't been with anyone except her since him, but I don't think that's really it. Then I thought maybe it was just you. You know, you have a real proclivity for strippers." He snorted a little at that. "But I don't think that's it either. I just saw her and wanted her. I don't know, maybe it's just that simple."

"Is it botherin' you?" His hand returned to her thigh, rubbing in small circles.

"A little just because I wonder what it means."

"Maybe it don't mean nothin'."

"Do you feel weird about it? Or about me telling you this?"

"A little. About both." Seeing her frown, he explained, "Not because I think it's wrong or perverted or anything. Hell, if you've got half of the shit I've done in your head, you know I've never been uptight about sex stuff."

"Then what?"

"Worried that I might've influenced ya. Not because I like strippers, but just how I am with that stuff. Worried about you takin' random strippers home with ya."

"You realize the irony of that statement, don't you?" She smiled easily.

"Why did you tell me?"

She shrugged. "I was thinking about it. You asked."

"You've been wide open with me tonight darlin'."

For the first time that night, she looked disturbed. "You don't like it? I'm making you uncomfortable?"

"Nah. Just...it's a new experience. And I ain't exactly been an open book myself so I'm wonderin' why."

"It's not a quid pro quo."

"A what?"

"It doesn't work that way, this for that."

"Hmm."

"You don't like it." That time it wasn't a question, and she started to draw away from him.

"Hey." He stopped her by making the grip on her thigh firm. "Don't. I like it. I'm just wonderin' what I did to deserve it."

"Deserve it? I wanted to, and I felt like I could, that's all. It's not like there's a merit review process."

"You're not worried?"

"About what?"

He tossed his head back and forth a little, apparently deciding. "That you're gonna open up to me and all that and I'll leave again?"

"You told me you're leaving again, a few hours ago, right here in this room." She looked plainly confused for a moment, then something set in. "You think I'm telling you all this to get you to stick around?" Now she looked taken aback, and a little mad.

"No, no. Well, maybe, yeah."

She shook her head and took his hand off her. "You can be really stupid sometimes, you know?" She said it with some heat, and he could tell she meant it.

"Not liking the open bit so much just now," he countered, wincing.

"Why would I want to make you stay?"

He looked genuinely shocked for a split second, then averted his gaze from her. "Dunno." He'd pretty much assumed that she'd want him around. Now he thought maybe she didn't, maybe she'd be happy to see him hit the road again. Maybe she liked him just in small doses. Shit, he lived in her head all the time, why had he made the jackass assumption that she'd want to be double-teamed?

"Do you think I'd enjoy holding you hostage, keeping you here when you really wanted to be somewhere else?"

"No."

She sighed in frustration and closed her eyes again, reaching out for her inner Logan. This time, he was of a little help. "Not everybody wants something from you all the time. I'm not being all open with you because you saved my life, or as a way to guilt you into staying here. I'm doing it because it feels natural with you. You're really the only person I trust like that, you know. You leaving for a while won't change that. As much as I love being with you and as much as I wish it could be you and me all the time, I know you well enough to know you're just not built to stay in one place. You'd get restless, and bored, and you'd probably start breaking things just on general principle." Her tone had lightened a little, and she reached out to take his hand. "I know that you'll be back eventually. Don't you think I want you to do what you want, what makes you happy?" He gave a half-hearted nod, and still wasn't meeting her eyes. "What?"

"I'm sorry darlin'. I'm bein' kind of an arrogant ass. Just assumed you'd want me stickin' around awhile."

"Did you just hear the part of the conversation where I said I love being with you and want you around all the time?" She sounded less mad now.

He looked at her now, and gave a little half-smile. "Yeah."

"And you translated that into me not wanting you around how?" Her voice was soft, gently teasing him.

"Must be that stupidity thing you're talkin' about."

"I didn't mean it that way, and you know it."

"Yeah." His hand returned to her thigh, resumed its slow caresses. "It's not too much? Havin' me in your head all the time and then havin' me here?"

She looked at him, one of those looks that went right down to the soles of his feet. "I wouldn't have made it through losing David if I didn't have you in my head. You always protect me, Logan."

He stopped moving the hand on her leg, leaned on it for leverage, and slid up a little to bring himself face to face with her. "Always will." He leaned in toward her, and, for a moment, she thought he'd kiss her. He tilted his head, and then he did kiss her, on the side of the head, just above her ear, safely, against her hair. She felt it then, the spark, and she shuddered a little in response. He stayed close to her, but didn't kiss her again. "Is this OK, darlin'?"

She reached out to touch him, finding his waist. "Yeah." They were breathing in synchronicity, and she could feel the heat of his body. "Just, careful, OK?"

He kissed her again, her neck this time shielded by her hair. Strong hands moved across her back, holding her to him. She closed her eyes, taking in the sensation. He laid one more kiss at the nape of her neck, then moved back to look at her. Her eyes were soft, even. He could tell it wasn't sexual for her, just affection, but he could also tell it went deep for her.

Separating a lock of white hair and twirling it in his fingers, he just sat and gazed at her a while. Finally, he said, "I'm leavin' in the morning." She nodded, and her expression was unchanged. "You comin'?"

Her eyes went wide, and she didn't try at all to keep the smile from her face. "Yeah."