Pot. Kettle. Black.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Title: Alter-Eighteen: Pot. Kettle. Black.
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: NC-17, sexual situations
Disclaimer: I don't own them; they probably own me by now.
Archive: Ask, and I will gladly provide.
Category: Somewhat foofy, somewhat smutty drama
Summary: Alternative version of events in the movie and the eighteen series. Rogue's on the rebound when she meets Logan in battle, then accidentally asks him to move in with her.
Comments: My brbf loves the title saying. I thought Rogue would too.

-----------------------------------------------------------


"Hurry up, Rogue!" Ugh. I'm coming, I'm coming. Geez. There's no one who loves shopping as much as Jubes, that's for sure. "The mall's gonna open in ten, let's go, move that Mississippi butt!"

"I'm coming, keep your skirt on." I know I'm in a funk because of Remy. I mean, breakups, they're never easy, and I really did love him, I did.

"Girl, you're going dressed like that? What are you, a nun?"

"No, I'm a mutant with uncontrollable and deadly skin." Plus, I really don't think a turtleneck and jeans equals 'nun'.

"So show some of it off  you're *nineteen*, chica, not, like, a thousand."

"Jubes, you know I don't like to go out like that. Now come on, we're going to be late for the great and wondrous mall opening." Did I mention that I get sarcastic when I'm in a funk?

"Humph. Fine. But I'm telling you, you're never gonna attract a new man like that. Your cleavage is your best weapon, and it just doesn't work in a stealth capacity. They have to *notice* the boobs, girl!"

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go."

<Rogue, meet me in the situation room. We have a - >

<Situation? Coming, Professor.>

"Aw, shit, that was the Prof on your brain-phone, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, sorry Jubes. Got a mission. Catch up to you later." Maybe this isn't such a bad idea. Maybe it'll be good to see some action, get a little of my depression worked out. Shopping just doesn't do it for me, but, like they say on Buffy, kicking ass is comfort food. Buffy's my hero.




"There's been unusual activity at a small town along the Maine coast, near the Canadian border. We suspect that Magneto is involved. Scott?" Mr. Summers always has the low-down. He's the team leader, so I guess it makes sense.

"We don't know what Magneto wants, but we believe he has attacked a hospital in town. Local law enforcement consists of three officers, who we believe have already been eliminated or subdued. Our plan is to take the blackbird, estimated flight time 14 minutes, land here  " The holographic three-dimensional map *is* nifty. I have to hand it to Hank for that one. "  surveil the hospital, assess the situation, and take action."

"Do we expect any other law enforcement  national guard, county or state police?" I ask because it's not a good thing to have those people running around. They just get in the way.

"Not before our arrival. Any other questions?" There never usually are. We trust Scott. A lot. Since I joined the team, I've been on about a dozen missions, and I haven't seen him make a bad decision yet. "None? Then, let's go."



"Machias coming in view." They weren't kidding when they said it was a little town. "That's the hospital right there. Buckle your seatbelts, coming in for a landing."

Scott's getting better with the landings. Takeoffs, good. Flying, good. Landing, needs work. At least now he usually gets us down in one hop. Maybe two.

"All right, let's head out. We'll assess the situation and - oof!"

Oh, shit. Some kind of electrical shock hit Scott, and it didn't come from Storm. Under attack already, dammit. "Scott!" Jean'll take care of him and 'Ro and I need to get out of the plane  we can both use our powers best in the open.

"Rogue  " Storm's in charge if Scott goes down. I trust her a lot too. She's always calm in a crisis. "  I will surround the plane in fog. You roll out first, I shall follow."

"Sounds good." It's freaky how her eyes go all white when she's using her powers. "Ready?"

"Yes. Go!"

She really did fog us in  I can hardly see where I'm  ouch! Something sliced into me, something metal and I - shit, I can't see where that came from. Too much fog. "Storm  can't see!"

That's better  lifting a little and I can hear someone moving, but they're not attacking. Not yet. There  it's a  a person. With big metal claws. Great. He's the one that got me, no question. Dammit, I can't take time to take a look at it, but it hurts. Right across my side. And this guy  he's  he's not doing anything. He's waiting for me to attack first. Which is stupid, because I know his powers, but he doesn't know mine. Or at least I don't think so. We haven't seen him before. Maybe I should attackBut something's not quite right here. Maybe I should try talking to him.

"Who are you?" Storm must be hanging back, waiting to see how it plays out. She always fights smart.

"Who the hell are you?" Jerk.

"Who am I? I think you should go first because you're the one attacking an innocent hospital!" That sounded lame. I can never come up with good heat-of-battle wisecracks.

"Innocent, my ass. Look, just get outta my way, kid." He's got  now that the fog's clearing, I can see that he's got wires and tubes attached to him and he's wearing a hospital gown.

"What the hell is going on here?"

"You tell me. You're the one in the bad-ass uniform."

Well, they are kind of bad-ass, I'll give him that. "We're the x-men. We're here to stop Magneto."

"You mean that guy with the bucket on his head?"

"Yeah."

"He's that way  have fun." He's  I shouldn't just let him leave, he could be one of the bad guys, he could be hurt, he could be 

"Hey, wait." I don't think he liked that I grabbed him by the arm. I've got gloves on, of course, but he still didn't like it. "Please. Are you  are you hurt? Do you need help?"

"Nah." He's looking at me weird.

"Can you  can you please just tell me what happened in there?"

"Buncha mutants busted in. It ain't no 'innocent hospital'  they're doin' mutant experiments. Bucket-head and some other assholes busted us out. Wanted me to join up with 'em." He doesn't seem like he appreciated the offer. He looks pretty pissed. "I'm not a joiner. He tried pinnin' my ass to the ground, but got distracted when the cops showed up. Some of the doctors and shit are still fightin'. You gonna help them?"

"The mutants or the doctors?" Shit, this is a decision for Scott, not me. That's why he's the damn team leader.

"Either."

"Don't know yet. Where did that electrical blast come from?"

"One of the other mutants that got out."

"But we didn't  "

"You swooped down in a big black plane and cut off the escape route. What the hell did ya think would happen?" How could Scott not have seen people if they were so close to the landing site? He really, really needs to work on the landings.

"Is that why you clawed me?"

"I got you? Fuck! I knew I got someone, and I could smell the blood but.." Whoa, hey there, Mr. Grabby. He's turning me around and looking for it, but I'd be happy to direct him if he could get his hands off  "Shit. Shit, it's bad." It is? Because it doesn't feel  oh-oh!

"Don't! I mean, don't touch my bare skin. My mutation  my skin could kill you. Don't touch it!"

"Shit." Mr. Grabby needs some vocabulary building.

"How bad does it look? It doesn't hurt that much."

"I hit a main vein or somethin'. You're losin' a lotta blood."

"Shit." OK, OK, but I know other swears too. Plenty.

"Rogue?" That's Storm. I remember my combat lessons. Don't turn around to look at her, don't take your attention off the enemy.

"Yeah."

"Are you in need of assistance?" Storm and Jean, in my peripheral vision.

"I'll be OK  how's Scott?"


"Still unconscious."

"Damn." See? Whole new swear word.

"Jean and I will go to the hospital. You stay here with Scott. Tend to your wound. Watch.this one. We will return." That's Storm. Calm and decisive. Wonder if she's going to help the mutants or the doctors? Probably just try to break it up, help the wounded. Try to bring both guilty parties to justice. It's just the two of them, but they've got some pretty formidable powers. Not like me  just the skin thing and a little flying that I absorbed along the way. Not even flying, really, not like Storm. But it does kind of make me look like something out of The Matrix when I fight.

"Be careful. Let me know if you need help." Off they go. They'll be all right.

"You oughta put some pressure on that. Now."

"Yeah." I guess it's somewhat safe to turn away from him to head back to the plane and find some medical supplies. Scott doesn't look too bad. Jean put him in the medical cot. She wouldn't have left him if he was in serious danger. Here we go  gauze.

"Gimme that. I know how to do it." Mr. Grabby strikes again, and the gauze package is his next victim. He's not actually thinking of bandaging me, is he? Because 

"Careful. My skin." Because maybe he should be renamed Mr. Short-Attention-Span.

"Yeah, I heard ya the first time, woman." Or Mr. Feminism. Perhaps Mr. Politeness. If one were feeling snarky.

And maybe I should clear something up. "My name is Rogue." Not 'kid', or 'woman'.

"What kind of a name is Rogue?"

"What's wrong with my name?" He is being pretty careful, cleaning the wound. He's done this before. I probably shouldn't trust him. Maybe this is just part of some evil plan to use all of our gauze, rendering us incapable of 

"It's a weird name."

"Well, what's your name?" I bet it's not Mr. Subtlety. Or Mr. Tact.

"Wolverine."


A-ha. "Pot. Kettle. Black."

"Huh?" Keep up, dude.

"Wolverine is a weird name too." But I have to admit, he *is* doing a good job of bandaging the wound. It hardly hurt at all and now he's tying it tight. I think he might be right about having hit a vein because I'm starting to feel woozy.

"It's a good name."

"It's the name of a little but vicious animal."

"I know that."

"Yeah, well you're not little and you don't seem vicious. You know, even though you stabbed me and everything." Yeah, I am getting lightheaded.

"I'm sorry about that."

"It's fine. You fixed it." Woozy, woozy, woozy.

"Are you all right?"

"Sure. I'm just fine. Just great. Just fabulous. Just spectac..spectac.ular." Just a little, a wee little bit, a teensy, tiny bit woozy. Wooooozzzzyyyy. Heh.

"Uh, yeah. Is there another cot around here? 'Cause.."





"Rogue? Answer me, Rogue?" Ooohhhh. I feel like crap.

"Yeah?"

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes, Jean." What happened, 'cause the last thing I remember is being in the plane with Wolverine, but this is the medlab and 

"How do you feel?"

"Better. Did I  did I pass out or something?"

"Yes, and that, uh, person you were with was trying to revive you when we got there."

"Wolverine?"

"Who?"

"The person with me." Something's wrong. Jean seems  worried, or something.

"Is that his name? He wouldn't give us his name."

"That's what he told me it was. Is he  what happened to him?"

"We, uh, brought him here. He wasn't entirely thrilled with that idea, but he wanted to stick around to see if you were going to be OK. He claimed what happened was an accident, but.."

"It was an accident, I'm pretty sure. He's  he actually helped me bandage it up, he's all right."

"Are you sure, Rogue? He seems  something's off about him."

"Yeah, I'm sure. He's not  he's not a bad guy. He wasn't with Magneto."

"He's been asking about you, so I'll tell him you're all right. Would you want to see him?"

"Sure."

"OK, I'll let him know. And Rogue  rest up a while, OK?"

"Actually - couldn't I do that in my room?" I hate, hate, hate the medlab. It sucks. And Jean's got to be nervous when I'm here  she always covers up and wears latex gloves constantly.

"If you like. I can ask Hank to help you up."

"That would be great. Thanks, Jean. And hey  what happened at the hospital?"

"We were too late. Magneto got away. But we did save some of the wounded."

"That's good. That's something." And we usually have to settle for that. Magneto usually gets away, we usually can't help everyone, and it's just that way.

"Yeah, I guess." Sucks, I know.




"Hey." The Wolverine doesn't look too happy. Well, my room is not his natural habitat.

"How are ya? They said you'd be fine." He's looking me over like he wants to see for himself.

"I will be, thanks to you. You stopped the bleeding. And you were right, it was bad. It needed twenty-six stitches." And I'm glad I was unconscious for them  Jean's hands shake when she stitches me, even with the double gloves. Not exactly the way to inspire confidence in your patients.

"I toldya."

"You were right."

"Always am."

"Look  are you  are you going to be around for a while? Do you have somewhere to go?"

"Not right now, no. Why?"

"Well, you could stay here for a while. The Professor  this is his home  I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you stayed." This guy could be a serious asset to the team. I know he said he wasn't a "joiner," but then again, we're not like Magneto. Maybe if he hangs out for a while

"I guess." He looks odd. Like he can't quite figure something out.

"Good. Good. After all, we hardly got introduced before, and you saved my life and all, so..good." Oh yes, Rogue. Way to make the mysterious hairy stranger stick around a while. Impress him with your logic and articulation. Great.

"Yeah.." He must think I'm nutty. Or not quite as well as I told him I was. I don't know which would be better. He seems fidgety all of a sudden, almostnervous?

"Um, I was going to ask Jubes to get me something from the kitchen. Do you  would you like anything?" There's a total change of subject.

"Can you get me a beer?"

"Sure. What kind  we've got Bud, Miller Lite, and Coors."

"Aw, shit, forget it then. Dontcha have any Molson?"

"Molson?" Never heard of it.

"Jesus, *Molson*. Canadian beer. Comes in a couple of flavors."

"Flavors?" What, like chocolate beer? Coffee-flavored beer? Strawberry 

"You know  golden, ice, Canadian. Flavors."

"You mean varieties." Flavors. That's funny.

"Whatever. You don't have any, do you?"

"No. Sorry. Scott's the only beer-drinker, and he likes Bud or Coors. We have some Miller Lite leftover from a party or something." He really does look dejected about the lack of flavored beer. "Anything else you'd like?"

"What about bourbon? Got any of that?"

"I think we do. Does it have to be a particular flavor? Does it have to be Canadian bourbon?" That just kinda came out. I'm not normally teasing like that.

"No. Any bourbon will do." I think it worked though, he's not fidgety anymore. He's even smiling a little.

"Fine. I'll ask Jubes to bring a glass."

"Get the bottle."


"Whoa  you know, when I said maybe you'd want to stay a while, I was kind of thinking you'd like to be conscious for that."

"I will be  I got a healing thing. Don't get drunk, heal from almost anythin'. It's my mutation." He's making himself comfortable on the corner of my bed. Hmmm.

"I thought that your mutation was the claws."

"That wasn't  that was done to me."

"What do you mean?" I wonder if they had the chance to perform some kind of experiment or something while they had him because I can't imagine 

"I don't wanna talk about it, all right?" That was a little sharp. It must be a sore spot. OK. Fine. I've got plenty of sore spots too.

"OK. No problem. I'll call Jubes."




"Speedy delivery!" Good, it's Jubes. She sure took long enough. It's been like, a half hour. I'm hungry.

"Come on in." I told Wolverine he'd like her. And that she was a good friend. Just on the off chance he found her irritating and wanted to claw her instead.

"Hey, chica. How's the gut? You on the mend?" She's eyeing Wolverine a little suspiciously. I guess it does look a little weird. I mean, he's made himself comfy on the bed  took off his shoes, leaned back against the headboard. People aren't usually that comfortable this close to me.

"I'm fine. Looks like you've got the goods." I love peanut butter ice cream, I really do.

"Yep. Uh, I guess this is for you?" Oh, right. The bourbon. A whole bottle.

"Sorry." Where are my Mississippi manners? "Jubilee, this is Wolverine. Wolverine, Jubilee."

"Hey dude."

"Uh, yeah." They're just little Emily Posts, aren't they?

"So, chicha, if you're all good, then I gotta motor."

"Sure. Where are you going? Dancing? Clubbing?" Not that I'm *that* sad about not being able to go. I don't really go for the high energy outings that much.

"Uh, actually, I've been wanting to talk to you. It's, um, well, I'm actually, well kind of, uh, you know, sort of.." She's always like this when it's bad news. But what could be bad about just going out?

"Just spit it out, Jubes."

"I'm going on a date with Remy."

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help letting out that gasp. It's a pretty big shock. I mean, we just broke up. It's only been two months.

"I know, I know. I'm a horrible friend. Evil. But it's just, like, this thing. He, uh asked me and I totally said yes thinking it was a friend thing, but when he said we were going to the Park Inn for dinner, I  ""

"Don't  don't worry about it, OK? Have a good time." What else am I going to say? He's not my boyfriend any more.

"Look, girl, if you don't want me to  "

"No, no, it's fine. Go. Really." I don't actually even want to think about it, so let's just stop talking about it.

"Rogue, don't be  "

"I'm not mad. Go. Have a good time. Honestly." It hurts so much to think about him with Jubes. To think about the things she can do with him that I wouldn't or couldn't..

"Rogue"

"Really. Thanks for the stuff. Have fun."

"But."

"Bye, Jubes. Have a nice time." This sucks, this really just sucks. At least she's finally leaving. At least we can stop talking about it and maybe I can put it out of my head.

"Hey, kid?"

"My name is Rogue. Please use it." I really hate being called by 'kid'. I have a name, use it.

"Fine. Rogue." Shit, I really shouldn't take it out on him. He didn't start dating my ex-boyfriend.


"I'm sorry. I'm being bitchy. It's just that  she's my best friend and she's going out with my ex-boyfriend."

"Oh. Uh, sorry?" If this didn't suck so much, I'd laugh at that. He's trying, honestly trying, to figure out what to say.

"It's fine. Really. I'm OK with it."

"No you're not. You're pissed." Hmmm. The hairy stranger is a brave one. Most people would get a trademark Rogue hissy fit for saying something like that. But he's new, so I'll cut him some slack.

"Maybe. A little. Slightly. I mean, we *just* broke up, and she's my friend. She knows how upset I've been about it."

"Why'd he break up with you?"

"Who said he broke up with me? I broke up with him."

"Uh-huh." He's taking a few good slugs of that bourbon. That's just not fair  he gets to drink all he wants and stay sober enough to mock me. You know, I'm beginning to think I really don't like him that much. Stabbing me is one thing, but insinuating that Remy was the one to break it off is something else entirely.

"I did. I did break up with him. It was my decision."

"Then why are you upset about it? That don't make sense."

"I'm upset because I didn't *want* to break up with him, but he forced me into it by cheating on me with some sleazy ho." Betsy. Ugh. That woman should have a mattress strapped to her back. "I had to break it off, or he'd just go right on cheating on me. I'm upset because I didn't want it to be that way. I really loved him."

"Nah. Ya didn't love him."

"Just what the hell would you know about it?" How dare he say something like that? He doesn't even really know me at all and I 

"If you loved him, you'd be more upset. Your pride's hurt, that's all. That's why you're upset. Your pride's hurt 'cause he was doin' someone else while he was with you."

"All right, OK, maybe my pride is hurt a little, but I really did love him. I did."

"Why would you? He sounds like a dumb ass."

"Because  " Hey, wait a second. Why did I love Remy? All I can think of now is that he wanted me, pursued me, courted me for so long that we became RogueandRemy, one entity, one thing. That's not  is that love? And what did I love about him? He paid attention to me, he was sweet when we were together, but on some level, I always knew he wasn't faithful. Betsy  well, everyone knew about that, it was public, and I couldn't ignore it anymore. Maybe the hairy stranger's got something here. "I guess I just wanted to be with him because he wanted me. He was willing to tolerate the skin situation."

"That's not love."

"Well, if you're such a love expert, why don't you tell me what is? And give me that bourbon." I could use a swig too. My ice cream is melted, I'm sitting in bed discussing my love life with this guy, and my best friend is out on a date with my ex. Yeah, I could definitely use a swig.

"Here. I dunno what love is, not really. Never been in love. But I know it's supposed to be better than that."

"Maybe you're right. If he really loved me, he wouldn't have cheated. I guess. It's just that my skin"

"If that's why he cheated, then he's an asshole."

"Or maybe he's just a normal guy. It's a lot to put up with."

"Just calls for a little creativity is all. Can I get that bottle back?"

"Sure." Whoa. I took a pretty good share of that bottle. I didn't really realize that.

"Besides, if you really loved him, you'd be all brokenhearted and shit. You just seem a little upset about the whole thing."

Well, I'm more than a little upset, but there's something appealing about the idea that I didn't really love him. Maybe if I didn't, then the end of RogueandRemy doesn't have to be such a big thing. Maybe it's just a little bump in the road and life goes on. But that doesn't mean I'm going to let Wolverine here off the hook. "Is this what you usually do, go around being some kind of mutie Ann Landers?"

"Nah. I don't usually talk to people at all, really. Don't like 'em." Hmm. That would make for a really lonely life. I'm glad he's going to stay here for a while, then. He'll get a chance to be around people, and that might be good for him.

"Yeah, well, some aren't so bad. Some are even nice."

"Haven't found any so far."

"Oh, come on, I'm pretty nice. I got you bourbon, I invited you to stay, I privileged you with special information related to my love life. I'm not even complaining that you're hogging bed space."

"Well, maybe you're the first." He said that jokingly, but there's something sad underneath. And he scooted over to give me more space.

"You're pretty nice yourself. You know, making with the life savage and all."

"Yeah. Well, didn't want to kill ya. Don't know that it qualifies as nice, though."

"I'm willing to count it. The Russian judge might protest, but yes, I think that officially counts."

"You're weird." But he doesn't look like he minds too much. He actually looks pretty entertained by that.

"Pot. Kettle. Black, my friend."




"Merde! What de hell is dis?!"

What? Am I  did I fall asleep? Why is my bed so warm? And firm? And  oh-oh, bed's moving. Oh, crap. Oh, CRAP. I did fall asleep, and right on top of Wolverine. Thank God  thank God we were both fully dressed. I could've woken up to a dead Wolverine.

"Who the hell are you?" Maybe I can just pretend to be still asleep and let Wolverine yell at Remy. That would take considerably less energy than me yelling at Remy. Hey  wait  what's Remy doing in my room anyway?

"I'm dis woman's boyfriend. Who de hell are you?" Oh, that's it. That's the last straw. There's no way in hell he gets to call himself my boyfriend. Suddenly, I think I can muster up the energy to do some of my own yelling.

"Remy? What are you doing in my room? And you are SO not my boyfriend!"

"Chere, I came to see you, to be sure you understood dat Jubes and I, we're jus' friends, dat I still wan' you back. And I find you in bed wit' some guy."

"Hey, bub. It's none of your damn business who she's in bed with. Besides, she asked me to stay with her."

Oh  oh shit! That's why he looked at me weird when I asked him to stay a while. He thought I meant stay here, in my room, with me. Oh, God, how am I going to explain that's not at all what I meant after I fell asleep in bed with him and cuddled up to him? Good one, Rogue, good one.

"She asked you? Is dat true, chere?"

"Uh, yes." Kind of. "Yes, it's true." Partially. In a way.

"Chere, Remy don' understand why you do dat  is it  it is in revenge for Betsy, non? You pick up some gutter trash for a one night fling 'cause of Betsy, yes?"

"Watch your mouth, asshole. I ain't no gutter trash. And it ain't a one night fling. I said she asked me to stay a while. Listen when someone talks to you, dickhead." How did this get so complicated? He really  he really likes that I asked him to stay a while and there's no way I can tell him that wasn't what I meant without hurting him now. Geez. Can't I just go back to sleep and start this morning all over?

"Remy gonna  "

"Put a lid on it, Remy. And get out of my room. I don't owe you any explanations. And I think you'd better get used to the idea that WE BROKE UP. I mean, Jesus, it's been two months. You're not my boyfriend and you don't get to be pissed that there's someone else in my bed. Now, go." I can't believe I just said that. I've never talked to him that way. Never. I've always been nice and polite and tried not to hurt his feelings. I've spoken to plenty of other people that way at one time or another  I don't have a trademark on hissy fits for nothing  but never Remy.

"Remy's not gonna leave you wit' some strange man you drag home wit' you. Non."

"Yes, you are. This is all about you, Remy. You don't want me, but you don't want anyone else to have me either. Well, you can bite me. If you cared about me at all, if you were ever able to think about anyone but yourself, you'd know that I came damn close to dying on that last mission, and that this guy saved my life."

"Chere  "

"And he has a name, he's not 'some guy.' His name is Wolverine."

"I don' like  "

"I don't care. Get out. Shut the door behind you."

"Non. Remy  "

"You can leave or I can throw you out. Your choice." He's thinking about it. He knows if push comes to shove I can kick his ass. Picked up some super strength along the way, and it's never been used on him, but he's seen it in action.

"Remy will come back when you more calm, chere. You obviously not yourself."

"Yeah, well, that could be a hell of a long wait. Goodbye, Remy." It  now it really does feel over. It really does. And at least he's going. I really HAVE to start locking my door. I think I'll just get up and lock it behind him to be sure.

"That's the asshole you're upset about breakin' up with?"

"Yes." I don't really know what else to say on the subject.

"Shit, why'd you ever hook yourself up with him? He ain't right for you." He says that like it's plain as day. And I've never been able to think of Remy and me as anything but meant to be together.

"Why do you say that? I mean, really, why?" I hope he knows I'm not being sarcastic or playing. I really want to know. It's not at all obvious to me.

"He's selfish. He is just pissed 'cause in his stupid brain you're not supposedta want anyone but him. You ain't like that, and why would you put up with someone who is? Plus, he's just an asshole, generally. And that accent  Jesus Christ, how did you live with that?"

"Well, we didn't actually live together." He made a lot of sense there. It's a little bit scary how much sense he made.

"Heh. No wonder he's pissed you asked *me* to stay right away."

Oh yeah, that. What should I do about that? I don't  I just don't know. He's so pleased I asked him to stay, he's even puffing his chest out a little. I guess..would it be so bad to have him stay? Really, what harm could that do? "Yeah." That should cover it for now, I hope. We can, uh, work out the rest later. Yeah, that's what I'll do. That's how I'll handle it. And look  he's almost even smiling now. Happy Wolverine.

"Well, just so you know, I ain't like that." He's really earnest about this. I don't mind him staying, I guess, but is this how he thinks relationships happen? Run into a nice girl, stab her, save her life, move right in? On the other hand, the traditional way hasn't been working for me so far. Would it be so wrong to give the Wolverine Way a try?

"Good. Me  me either." There we go, not so bad.

"Good."





Wolverine looks apprehensive. I don't think he really wanted to come on this mission, but I think he mostly did because he wanted to keep an eye on me. He's worried. He's never seen me fight, so he doesn't realize that I can take care of myself.

"Hey  this should be simple. No problems." After all, it's just a bunch of anti-mutant lunatics. About a dozen, who for some reason got up this morning and decided to start shooting at a law office known for their mutant-rights work. They're about to find out they should've stayed in and watched Oprah or something instead.

"Yeah. Stay close to me." Scott briefed him  we follow the team leader's orders. But I don't think Wolverine's on board with that plan. Scott wasn't wild about bringing him, but the Professor wants to try him out, I think. For his part, I don't think he's interested in being an x-man, he just wants to make sure I get through this all right.

"I'll be fine. Don't worry." He *will* worry anyway, I know. It's been odd, living with him, and there's still a lot of relationship stuff getting worked out between us, but the one thing I know for certain is that he's very protective of me, very careful with me. It's only been about ten days, and I wish we'd had more quiet time before another mission. I could've prepared him better and he'd be less hyper about me.

"I mean it, stay close." He's dead serious. It's the same tone of voice that he had the second night we spent together  when he said he really, really wanted to have sex with me, and asked if I wanted to. I didn't, not yet  and this very grave expression came over him. He said that was OK, that he'd wait, but not to get offended if he, um, got excited when we were in bed together. And to be sure to let him know as soon as I wanted to.

I almost laughed at that, and if it wasn't for that dead serious tone and the look on his face, I would've. I let him know I wanted to do some things a few nights later, and I think he was happy with that. I'm not  I don't usually jump right in to the physical stuff, and not just because of my skin. It was four months before I let Remy even touch me above the waist. Touching is a big deal to me. But it just seemed like  well, we're living together and maybe I should just do it, just try it. I didn't feel slutty or anything afterward. It was actually nice. And Wolverine's so different than Remy  a lot more interested in what I like, in making me, ah, satisfied. And that man is seriously good at it. I wonder if Wolverines have any particular mating habits..

"Rogue?"

"Yeah, OK. I'll stay close. Just  don't worry about me too much. I can handle myself."

"All right. Fine." It's not fine. He's still going to be obsessed with me. I've got to account for that, keep it in mind in case things do get sporty.

"Hey  when we get back, there's a hockey game on. We could kick back, get some beer, and watch it." This man loves hockey more than anyone I know. I thought Scott was bad, and he just insists on watching every playoff game. Wolverine would watch every single game broadcast all season long if he could.

"Sounds good." Good  maybe that got his mind off the mission a little.

"Landing site in view. Coming down." Let's hope Scott has a better landing than the last one.






"Rogue, he just didn't perform well."

"Oh come on, Scott, he took out more of them than any of us. He did fine." I know Scott doesn't like us living together. He thinks Wolverine's taking advantage of me being on the rebound from Remy and that we're going too fast. Scott doesn't know that we're not having sex yet  I haven't said anything about that to anybody, and I don't really care what they all think about it. It's not their business, and one of the mistakes I made with the whole Remy thing was letting everybody stick their nose in, making it a public thing.

"He never paid attention to my orders. He did what he wanted. That's not performing well."

"It's his first mission. Do you remember what I did on my first mission?" Because I do. Throwing up at the sight of Sabretooth  not easily forgotten.

"It's not the same thing. Rogue, he's just not a 'team' kind of person."

"He'll freak if he can't go with me. And he did help us, Scott. He did."

"Rogue, I won't support him going on another mission. I won't. The rest  well, you've got some decisions to make."




"Hey." He's already in there, watching the game. Surrounded by Molsons. And chips. I  I don't know what to really do here.

"Hey. You missed a good fight." He likes the fights best. He *is* a little bloodthirsty. On the mission  he almost cut one guy in half. Of course the guy in question was pointing a rifle at my head at the moment. Scott's right, I know. He didn't follow orders. He just looked out for me.

"Can we talk for a second?"

"Yeah.." He's suspicious  I bet even someone with as limited a relationship history as his knows those words don't bode well.

"I want to thank you for watching over me on the mission." I expected that grunt of acknowledgement. He answers in grunts and growls sometimes. "But Scott's a little upset that you didn't follow his orders. He thinks maybe you shouldn't go on the missions anymore."

"Fine."

"Fine?" That really wasn't the reaction I expected. "You're OK with that?"

"Yeah. You'll be safer if you don't go on them, right?" A-ha. I see why he's so OK with it.

"Well, the idea was that I'd still go but you'd stay here." He's not liking that at all, I can tell. I can really, really tell.

"Uh-uh. No, I'm not lettin' you go on your own."

"I can really  "

"Take care of yourself, I know. But it's different now, and I gotta take care of you too."

I'd never admit it, not even under torture, but I kind of like that he thinks that. No one  since I have so much power, and such powerful, uh, powers, no one ever thinks to look after me. I'm the only one of the 'kids' that's on the team, and I've never been shielded or sheltered from any of the team stuff. I've gone on every mission, because they needed me. Because I was an asset to the team. They don't think of me as Marie, a nineteen year old girl who still gets scared sometimes. They think of me as Rogue, ace-in-the-hole. Rogue, who can take anyone out. Rogue the invulnerable, Rogue the unstoppable. I kind of like that Wolverine sees me as Rogue, the person worth looking out for.

"Are you gonna say somethin'?" He's a little nervous about my reaction.

"Yeah. We can  let's work it out later. I need to think about it a little, about what to do. I don't want to leave the team, but I don't want to go out without you, to tell the truth."

That put him at ease. Good. We're doing pretty well for a ten-day old couple. "Fine. Let's just watch the hockey game for now, huh?"

"Yeah. And then let's have sex." Did I say that out loud? Uh..

"OKwe can do that right now, you know? We don't hafta wait for the game to finish." I don't know why I said it, I don't know where that came from. I'm not usually like that about sex stuff. "Or.or not."

"I, uh, that just popped out. Sorry."

"You wanna take it back?"

"Hmmm." I probably should take it back. Because I've only known him ten days. I don't really know that much about him. And we started living together pretty much by accident. But..I want to. I do. The way he's been with that stuff  he's just made me really, really want him. He's been passionate and not at all scared of my skin and completely *there* the whole time. It feels like it means something to him, and it feels really good  on all levels  for me. So why not? Why not do it? "No. No I don't want to take it back. And let's..let's get started now."

He's really on board with that plan because he's coming right over to me and I realize that I sat down on the bed when I came in and I wonder if that was some kind of unconscious 

"Hey." Oh God, he's giving me that look  the one that just melts me. "I want you, I wanna do this. But if you wanna too."

"I do. I do."






We've been at it for hours, just taking it nice and slow and  "Oh, God!" it's been so good. But he's inside me now and it feels so totally different than all the stuff before and  "Yes!"

"You like that, baby?"

"Yes, oh, yes.."

"Tell me. Talk to me." He likes for me to talk during sex stuff. A lot.

"I feel so good like this, so good. It's  uh!  it's so satisfying, so right."

"Yeah, that's right baby. More."

"Unh! That  that right there  that's perfect it's so  "

"Yes!"

"Oh, God, I.." The way he's moving, he's rubbing up against me in all the right spots, and it's better than it's ever been for me. He's got so much stamina, so much strength, so much -

"Don't  don't close your eyes. Look at me. Look at me, baby. Don't think about him."

What? "Remy?"

"No! Don't say his name, don't think about him. Me. Think about me now, look at me."

He's not stopping, and I don't know how much longer before I completely explode, but I've got to tell him. "I'm not. I'm not thinking of him."

"Grrr.." He rumbles and growls more and more the closer he gets.

"Just you. Only you. I just  unnhh!  I just  it's so much and so good. So, so good that I  mmph!  I don't want any distr..distractions from the feelings. No other input, just you inside me and  aaah!"

"Stay like that. Don't  don't look away. Right in my eyes."

"Yes" I'm going to very carefully take his face in my gloved hands so he knows I want to. So he knows I want to give this to him. So he can be sure.

"Baby..I wanna..grrrr"

I'm not going to be long off now, not with his hands on my breasts and with him going so hard. God

"Rogue" He's looking right into me, and it's so good, so right, so everything I ever wanted. He has to know that. I have to tell him that.

"Yes, yes, God, I want you..this is  oh, yes! Uh! L-like that, please don't stop! Don't stop!"

"Come on, come on!"

"YES! YES!!" Oh good God, it's like the world opened up and I can feel everything all around me and I can feel him so close and 

"Unnnh! RRRRRRR!" Watching him like this  I can't  I can't ever imagine anything that could be closer, anything that could be better. Oh, God

"Yesthat was so good. So good. I  it was perfect, perfect." He's still looking right at me, so intently. Those eyes just burn.

"You liked it." That wasn't a question. He just wants to hear it.

"I loved it. It was so right. I  I wasn't ever thinking of Remy. Not ever. Since you came here, since I've known you, it's only been you, just you."


"You're mine now, not his. This makes you mine." Somehow, that came out more pleading than possessive. Almost like he wants to know if I'd agree with that, if it means that to me too.

"It makes you mine too. I'm yours and you're mine. Deal?"

"Deal, baby." He just crumpled, just flopped over beside me. Like all the energy just drained out of him. He's really beautiful like that. Really, absolutely beautiful. I feel so much for him right now. And I feel like I should do something about that.

"Marie."

"What?" Poor guy, he can barely keep his eyes open. I should  I should at least get the condom off. And I want to get out of these pantyhose.

"My name. It's Marie. I thought you should know that, you know, now that I'm yours." I'm not as spent as he is, not too tired to tease him. Or to get a little excited by taking the condom off of him.

"Logan. Mine's Logan, I think."

"You think? Can't remember your own name?" Whoa. That was meant as a joke, but he turned away from me and I thought I caught a wince just before he did. "Logan? I'm sorry  I was just joking."

"Yeah."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothin'."

"Hey." I'm just going to try to turn him by the shoulder, see what he does. I don't know what's going on here and if I could see his face  there, he's turning. "What's wrong? You can tell me."

"I - I haven't been entirely honest with ya. I'm not  I'm not."

"It's OK. Just tell me."

"I don't remember a damn thing about my life before about three years ago. Nothin'. There, happy?" Turning back over. But I can tell that he's more upset than mad. He just wants to get mad first in case I decide to.

"I'm sorry. That's horrible. What happened?"

"I don't wanna tell you."

"Why not?" I should touch him, maybe stroke his hair and his back, so that he knows I'm still OK with him.

"You won't want me to stay."

"Why don't you let me decide that? I'm pretty sure I will want you to stay, whatever it is."

"No." OK  pop quiz, hot shot: your ten-day relationship hits a snag after the first real sex when your mysterious mutant lover hints at a checkered past. What do you do? What *do* you do?

"All right. If you really don't want to talk about it, we don't have to." I think I'll go with acceptance. And supportiveness. Maybe it's just the post-orgasmic euphoria, but it seems like a good idea to me.

"Good. Um, 'cause I don't wanna talk about it." I think my response has confused him. Well, not too surprising if he only remembers about three years back. That's not a lot of time to develop relationship skills, especially if you don't like people and try to avoid them generally.

"OK. Do you want to snuggle up? Because I'm just going to wiggle out of these pantyhose and we can put the sheet  " Hello  rolled over on top of me pretty quickly there.

"Don't take them off. I want you again."

"OK." He looks like he doesn't know whether to yell or cry  I'm pretty sure he doesn't really want to do either  and maybe more sex will even him out.

"I don't  I don't wanna talk about it."

"I heard ya the first time." I do a pretty good imitation of him.

"Why are you doin' that? Jokin' with me and shit?"

"I'm sorry, I'm just trying to lighten the mood a little. If you don't want to talk, it's really fine. I'll stop joking."

"No, I'm not mad that you're jokin', I just wanna know why that's OK with you."

"Because I trust you. And because I don't want to push you into something you're not ready for. You've been good about not pushing me into the sex stuff. Why wouldn't I want to return the favor?"

"What if it's bad, really bad?"

"You can tell me, Logan. Whatever it is. By the way, did I tell you I really like 'Logan'? It's a much better name than Wolverine." I was trying to joke a little again, but he's got the deadly serious expression again.

"They gave me that name." Oh, God. He's taking a chance. He decided to tell me. That's such a big thing that  "They experimented on me. Put the claws in. Put metal all over my bones, over my whole skeleton. Some kinda army guys. I don't remember them doin' it, except in nightmares." Nightmares? He hasn't had any nightmares since he's been here and  "So, there. There. I'm some kinda fuckin' experiment. There it is."

"That's what you were afraid to tell me?" I hope that came out as gently as I wanted it to. He's just nodding. "Oh, Logan, why would I be bothered by that? Why wouldn't I want you to stay?"

"I'm a fuckin' experiment." He's repeating that like it explains everything. God, I just want to hang on to him and never let him go.

"And I'm a mutant with deadly skin. It's  nobody's perfect." That sounded so horribly lame that I  oh! Kissing! He kissed me, hard, for just a few seconds, without anything, just lips to lips! "Logan!" Oh no  he's woozy. He's laying back on his side of the bed. "Oh, God! Why did you do that?"

"W-wanted to"

"You know about my skin, what were you thinking?!" He can't, he just can't take those kinds of risks, and he hasn't been  he's been so careful up until right now. I don't understand why 

"Was thinkin'I wanna give you that. Just once. 'Cause you gave me all this stuff."

I can feel him in my head a little and he's telling the truth. It wasn't a stupid risk, or because he couldn't stand not really touching me or anything like that. He's just so grateful. So grateful for what I said and that I want him to stay. Oh, God..

"Rogue?"

"Marie." Remy never knew that name, even after all the years we've known each other. Jubes never knew that name, and I'm closer to her than anyone. If Logan's going to be the only one who knows that name, I want him to use it.

"Marie?" Sounds so good coming from him. "Say somethin'?"

"Rest. Just rest. You're going to need that strength in a little while because I'm going to make love to you over and over and over. But for now, just rest." I think that smile means we're OK, he's OK. I think that's what it means.




"Are you sure 'bout this? 'Cause we can  "

"I'm sure." So sure that I didn't even get nervous when I told the Professor and Scott. I know it's the right thing.

"OK. OK, then. Me too. I'm sure too." He and I are pretty much the only ones. I told the Professor it wouldn't be forever, but that I wanted at least a year. At least a year away and with him. Nobody but us thinks that's a good idea. We just met, less than two weeks ago. He's weird, I'm on the Remy rebound. There's a big age difference, and I've never lived anywhere but the mansion. But it does feel right to us, and why not do it? I told the Professor at least a year, and then I'll revisit what I want to do, what we both want to do. Maybe we'll come back to the team, maybe not. I'm not going to think about it much once we leave the mansion. I'm just going to enjoy having time away, time with Logan.

"I think we've got everything. How long to your place again?" He said it was very remote, and very primitive. He said he won it in some kind of cage fight. Another little tidbit of info about my new guy.

"'Bout three days, more or less."

"Good. I'm looking forward to getting there."

"I know you are." He's gotten to tease me more and more these past few days. I like it. Remy never teased. Now that I think about it, Remy and I didn't laugh together a lot. I like that Logan and I do.

"Oh yeah? Pretty sure of yourself, hmmm?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I am too. Because I know you love me." Oh-oh. The L-word. I didn't really mean to say that.

"Hmph." He just looks amused not  not mad or anything. "Pot. Kettle. Black, darlin'."

Aw. He's right. I do love him too. I do. This is right. We're going to be OK, we really are. "Snarky today, aren't we?"

"Yeah. Picked it up from my woman." That wink and smile  we're definitely going to be OK.

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives