Taken

Title: Alter-Eighteen: Taken.
Author: Lateo
Email: lateoisgod@hotmail.com
Rating: PG13
Summary: Alternative version of events in the movie and the Eighteen Series; Logan is a little “taken”
with someone.
Disclaimer: These aren’t mine. I am merely borrowing them for my own entertainment and I promise to wipe them over with a damp towel before returning them. The Alter-Eighteen series is Terri’s; she’s letting me play with it.
Feedback: Will be received with a feeling of utter joy.
Comment: This is an AU fic. English isn’t my first language. Victoria P. has been kind enough to Beta it
and if there's still any mistakes, they're all mine


--------------------------------------------

It complicated the mission a bit when it turned out the girl didn’t wanted to be saved. Logan found it rather funny; here they had ambushed the Brotherhoods headquarters’, fought Sabretooth and grabbed the girl, only to discover that she had no intentions of going with them.

They had to drag her kicking and screaming all the way because Cyke decided that the fact she was a minor made it ok to force her. Naturally he didn’t use those exact words.

Now she sat in the back of the plane and swore at them. Whenever the X-Geeks started talking about the dream and how this was all “for her own good” she just asked them if it were part of the dream to kidnap people; Logan thought she was the funniest thing to come along in a long while.

He didn’t believe in the dream. That didn’t mean he wanted all humans dead or that he thought of all mutants as his brothers. He had just lived too long and too hard to be that naive. When Xavier had approached him that first time and talked about his hopes for a peaceful future and the great opportunity it would be for Logan to join the team and be one of the creators of such a paradise, Logan asked what the salary was. Xavier had almost choked on his tea. But he was willing to pay the amount Logan asked for and so he had joined the team.

The money was very good; the fact that there was a cook and a laundry service compensated for all the annoying little kids and it was great to get to kick some professional ass. But still, it was boring. Logan had always been a loner and felt comfortable with solitude but all the X-Men saw it as their business to include him and talk to him. He would have been perfectly comfortable with fucking Jean Grey or Ororo Monroe but he wasn’t interested in talking to Storm about gardening and he didn’t appreciate Jean’s attempts at getting him to submit to a medical exam.

But that was just more proof of the ways they were different from him. They hired a mutant best known for his excellent wet work skills, and then told him he couldn’t kill anyone. ”Oh don’t hurt the bad little FOH member—sure, he likes to gut mutant children, but he’ll like us if we try hard enough.”

Naive little fuckers.

This whole kidnapping was another example: they had reports of a teenage girl travelling with Mystique and immediately they assumed it wasn’t voluntary. Apparently it was. She had given them one hell of a fight and Logan could tell she had learned from some of the best; her technique was excellent. If she hadn’t been outnumbered she would have gotten away.

She had stopped swearing and, as she sat handcuffed to her seat, she scanned the surroundings with dark brown eyes under short curly hair. She had an expression of fury on her face that he recognised from himself. She was pissed for letting herself get caught.

She was just as difficult to get off the plane, as she had been to get on it. At this point she had to be aware that her chances of escape were slim but still she spat, screamed and did her best to kick them. Finally Logan had enough and hoisted her over his shoulder. That meant that her blouse moved, bringing him in direct contact with her naked stomach-- he dropped like a brick.

When he woke up, he was lying in the Med lab on a stretcher. The clock on the wall told him it was midnight and he felt like someone had sucked the marrow from his bones and put it back in. He sat up with a moan and ran his fingers through his hair. Then he noticed her scent.

She was sitting behind the Plexiglas wall in the containment chamber they for some reason had down there. Her skin was covered with red marks and dried blood and for a second Logan wondered if the X-Men had beaten her up --then he dismissed the thought, it wasn’t their style.

She lifted her head and looked him straight in the eyes, before she ran long fingernail over the skin on her arms leaving three trails of fresh blood. Logan told her to stop but she kept doing it until he walked into the chamber and held her down. He could tell she wasn’t entirely there, the brown gaze had lost something and she kept rambling about her healing factor not working and that now she could finally die. She swore at him, because he was keeping her alive. Didn’t he realise that the doctors were on their way? He had to let her die!

It was at that point Logan realised she somehow was channelling him.

When he was in the hands of the doctors he had often tried to die. It had been his only hope of escaping the pain. But whatever he did, the wounds always closed. He always came back.

He found himself cradling her in his arms, whispering to her, telling her that she was safe from the doctors here, that he would take care of her and that no one was ever going to hurt her. She eventually calmed down and they fell asleep in each other’s arms.

When he woke up the next morning he could tell right away that she had pulled herself together. She was sitting with his head in her lap, giving him the strange new experience of having his hair stroked. She realised what she was doing and stopped. He got up and got her some water and bandages for her cuts and scratches. Neither of them talked.

Jean came down to the lab and he left under her protests, as always she wanted to examine him some more. As always he said no, except he said it nicely this time.

He spent the day in the danger room, avoiding all thoughts about brown-eyed girls. He had dinner with the X-Men, who tried to talk to him; today he chose not to answer. A little kid, the one who always wore yellow, bumped into him and her little buddies looked at him as if they expected him to gut her for doing it. A pretty normal day except he didn’t go into town to get laid.

The containment chamber was empty the next time he came into the med lab. Cyke almost had a seizure when he heard, because he sure as hell hadn’t allowed the girl to leave it. The ice boy Bobby, had been in charge of watching her, but when they talked to him he said that he hadn’t talked to Scott, he had been in town all day.

On the surveillance cameras they saw Bobby talking to Scott. They saw him go into the med lab and wait until Scott left. They saw him stand close to the containment chamber and say something to the girl and they saw her smile. They saw Bobby’s face melt and Mystique’s appear instead. They saw Mystique touch the bandages on the girl’s arms and they saw her hug her before leading her out of the school.

Logan had fought against the Brotherhood more than once and that had given him an opportunity to watch Mystique. The thing about her was that she didn’t seem to give a shit about her teammeats. This was the woman who laughed the time Logan cut a piece of Toad’s tongue off. But here she was on the tape hugging someone. That was far more interesting to Logan than how she'd gotten onto the grounds undetected. But he didn’t say anything; he just stored the information in the back of his mind and went over the security systems again with Scott.

He started reading the reports, the X-Men got from various sources. It was everything from anonymous phone calls to transcripts of wiretaps. He made a habit of taking copies of everything that involved the brown-eyed girl.

***

Transcript of conversation between Brotherhood member Victor Creed a.k.a. Sabretooth and Brotherhood member Mystique recorded on 08-09-01 by undercover agent S.J.S. in Brotherhood location A-10.

Mystique: You know what I can do. You know what she can do. (Subject sounds agitated.)
Sabretooth: So?
Mystique: I’m not going to allow it.
Sabretooth: What makes you think you can stop it?
Mystique: You don’t want to see what I’ll do if pushed far enough.
Sabretooth:(Subject is growling.)
Mystique: We have worked together for years, Victor, but that will count for nothing if you help Erik with this plan of his.
Sabretooth: What do you care about the humans?
Mystique: I only care about her.
Sabretooth: I never got why you gave a shit.
Mystique: Not this again. Not now,Victor.
Sabretooth: There you are, happy and free. Don’t owe anyone anything and you decide to keep her. To make yourself weak like that.
Mystique: Victor…
Sabretooth: I will help you rig the machine, but I still think you should have left her in the gutter where you found her, but no…
The remaining part of tape is unreadable.

***

Transcript of conversation between Brotherhood members Victor Creed a.k.a. Sabretooth, Mystique and unknown female (called “Rogue”), recorded on 10-09-01 with hidden wiretap in Brotherhood location A-10.

Sabretooth: Your little bitch hurt me! (Subject sounds agitated.)
Rogue: Come, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.
´Sound of something being knocked over is heard`
Mystique: I’m not picking that up.
Rogue: Calm down Vicky-girl (Subject is laughing)
Sabretooth: (Subject is growling)
Mystique: (Subject is laughing)
Rogue: Come on, Vickie! Surely you can beat a tiny winy girl.
Sabretooth: If you hadn’t absorbed my skills and me. I would be bathing in your blood right now. (Subject sounds agitated)
Mystique: Really Victor, enough with the drama.
Rogue: Ouch!
Mystique: It’s your own fault. This is practice time, not teasing Victor time.
Rogue: (Subject is growling.)
Sabretooth: (Subject is growling.)

***

Logan didn’t tell anyone about his obsession with Rogue, he just continued his collection. It was his dirty little secret; he wasn’t familiar with wanting something he couldn’t have. He hid the collection carefully, as if he was a teenage boy hiding his first porn and made sure that no one entered his room without his knowledge.

It wasn’t hard to make sure of that, he wasn’t allowed to bring casual female company (as the professor had put it) with him to the mansion and none of the other inhabitants were eager to spend time with him. The only one who went in there was Mrs. Johnson, the cleaning lady; a low-level mutant and 50-year-old woman, who yelled at him if he left clothes on the floor. And she had no interest in going through his things. He knew, he checked.

She heard the woman moaning underneath her with each thrust. This was a good fuck; this was…no longer a motel room. She smelled the earth surrounding her and heard steps on the stairs. She was in the root cellar and daddy was coming to punish her for being different. She wasn’t a normal little boy he said; normal little boys didn’t have fangs and claws. She was a monster, a Sabretooth. He came but he was wearing a surgical suit and she knew, she knew the doctor was going to cut and cut and cut. And she would never die, because she healed, she healed from everything. The knife cut into her but as he touched her, she drained him completely and she was in a dumpster, five-years-old, with a homeless man’s thoughts in her head and he wanted to do things. Bad things. She screamed, and a blue woman looked into the dumpster and took her in her arms, carefully avoiding her skin. The woman asked her who she was and she had answered, that she was a rogue and…

…Marie awoke with a scream.

Since her latest absorption of the X-Man Wolverine, her nightmares had been more frequent. She didn’t know if it was because of the horrors the man, Logan, had experienced or the added stress in her life right now.

Magneto was building a machine and he was always looking at her, when he talked about his dream for homo superior. Her mother didn’t like the situation one bit; she had talked about leaving the Brotherhood and that meant Magneto was planning something very bad.

And Marie was part of his plan.

There was no point in attempting to go back to sleep, she knew she wouldn’t be able to anyway. She put on a sweater and started sketching. It was a face, his face, which was odd because she didn’t intend to draw Logan again. Lately everything came down to Logan.

She had him in her head. A strong warm presence lined in black. The first person she had touched as a child hadn’t held on long, which was lucky because the thoughts in his head were nothing a five-year-old should ever see.

The second absorption was Sabretooth, when she was fifteen. She had been caught in a fight between her mother and an enemy and the man had shot her. The look on her mother’s face as she fell was something; that would always be with her. It was the only time Marie had seen Mystique be afraid. The last thing she saw before she lost consciousness was her mother dragging a confused Sabretooth to her side…and life was never quite the same.

When she had come to, her arms was covered in shreds of human flesh, she was bend over the man who had shot her, and she didn’t want to know who’s blood it was she in her mouth or why it tasted so good. After that every one in the Brotherhood had been careful around her, she was no longer just Mystique’s little kid, she was a force to be reckoned with.

The two previous absorptions had been hard to place in her head, but Logan fit in there. When she saw herself through his eyes she saw something beautiful. He hadn’t been afraid to touch her even though he knew what she could do. She found herself having a crush with a man she had only met once.

***

Mission report: 01-10-01.

Team members: Cyclops, Storm, and Wolverine. Mission: To investigate rumours of Magneto building a gene-altering machine.

Upon arrival at the Brotherhood compound a large explosion was heard. When the team went to investigate the source, they found Magneto between the rubbles of what appeared to be a large wheel like machine.

It appeared to have exploded, in the process killing several Brotherhood members including Magneto, Toad and Mystique. Confirmation of Mystique’s death could not be established right away, because the power-absorbing mutant known as Rogue was holding her, refusing to let go.

The mutant was crying and calling Mystique “Mother” (later gene tests have revealed that the two are not biologically related.) Finally Wolverine lifted both her and the body onto the Blackbird. He managed to convince her of letting go.

He also continued to keep Rogue on his lap, holding her close, despite the obvious risk of her absorbing him. He did this despite the team leader’s direct orders not to touch Rogue.

Upon arrival, she was placed in the containment chamber and Dr. Grey treated her wounds.

***

30/10-01

Dear Diary.

I spend the day in my garden thinking about the situation. Yesterday, Logan took Rogue and left with her. We knew he was spending every waking hour with her and I even saw him smuggling her out of the containment chamber one time. But it is still a shock to me that he would leave the team for a girl he has known for a month. A girl who has been so close with our enemies, I should have seen it coming; the first time I ever saw Logan smile was with her.

***

The didn’t speak for the first hour of the drive. Then she asked him if he regretted leaving and he just pulled the car over and kissed her through her scarf. Then he asked her if she regretted her decision of going with him to Canada, to his cabin. She just kissed him back and growled in his mouth. Then they knew everything would be fine.

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives