Good Weird

Title: Alter-Eighteen:  Good Weird
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Disclaimer:  I don't own anyone but Jack, who just keeps showing up.  What can I say?  I kinda like him.
Archive:  Ask, and I'll gladly say yes
Rating:  PG-13
Category:  Mostly foofy.
Feedback:  Please!  Pretty please?
Summary:  Alternative version of events in the movie and the Eighteen series.  Logan meets up with a southern belle who he finds a little weird.  But she's weird in a good way.
Comments:  This was written in response to a plot bunny that Kathe (to whom this is also dedicated) so graciously shared with me, which, in turn, was inspired by her seeing an Alberta license plate.  The long and short of it is - show a situation where they meet but where Rogue is in a stronger position than Logan.  Kathe even suggested having the sex cabin be Rogue's.  Anytime you have another plot bunny you'd like to share, babe, fling it
my way :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------



I'm cold as hell.  I'm fuckin' cold.  I've never, ever been this cold in my whole miserable life.  I think I must be frozen solid in parts.  It's gotta be well below zero out here, and I've been walkin' for hours.  But I can't stop now - I can see the bar up ahead.  They're probably closin' for the night - shit, it's almost morning - but I swear to God I'm gonna make 'em let me in.  I gotta get warm.

It's all that fucker Xavier's fault.  Shithead actually thought I'd be interested in joinin' up to fight the bad guys with his little team of mutants.  Dumbass.  Shoulda realized by comin' out to find me, he'd just end up leadin' the rest of 'em to me.  He practically lit a path straight to my door for Magneto and Sabretooth.  Barely got away, too.  That bastard Magneto pretty much owns my ass.  And he's been after me to join up with *his* little mutant squad for years.  Fucker.  Oh well, at least I lost 'em.  At least I can go in the bar and get a little warm.

Here we go, looks like there's still one or two cars in the parkin' lot, so maybe they're not closed yet.   Yeah, door's open.

Wonder why everybody's starin' at-oh, yeah, I'm covered in snow.  Right.  Well, fuck them.  There's only four of 'em still in here anyhow.  Fuck 'em.

"Hey, got coffee?"  Young girl behind the bar.  Can't be more than twenty or so.  Pretty.  Lookin' at me funny.

"Sureare you all right?"  Probably scared of me or some shit.  Who'd leave a little girl in charge of a place like this?

"Yeah.  Do you got coffee or not?"

"Sure.  Coming up.  Is there anything else I can get you?  Food, maybe?"  Still lookin' at me funny even as she's pourin' me a cup.  Probably thinks I don't' have any money to pay for-oh, shit.  Shit.  I *don't* have any money to pay for it.  I lost my wallet somewhere in the fight.  Great.  That's just fuckin' great.  I got the clothes on my back, that's it.  Goddammit.

"Uh, nah.  Just the coffee."  Can't even pay ya for that, darlin', but I'm freezin'.

"Are you *sure* you're OK?  You look like you've been out in the weather for a while."  Wonder why she's got those white streaks in her hair.  Maybe some young kids' fashion trend or somethin'.

"Yeah.  Walked up from outside Drescher."

"Outside Drescher?  That's eighteen miles!"   Miles?  She must be from the States..

"Yeah." Coffee's good.  Hot.  Shouldn't ask for a refill, but-

"That's it."  What?  Tellin' her I walked here made her pissed or somethin'?  "I'm getting you some hot food.  And more coffee.  It's a wonder you're not frozen, sugar."  Hmmm.  Southern accent.  Long way from home, this one is.  But I should probably tell her I'm flat broke.

"Uh, no.  No food or nothin'.  I-uh-I ain't got any money.  Sorry."

"Never you mind that.  I'm going to bring you some hot soup and whatever's leftover in the kitchen.  We're closin' in a few and it'll just go to waste anyway. You sit tight."  She said that like there's no arguin' with her on the point.  Lotta confidence for a young girl.  "Sue, watch the bar, all right?"

Sue looks half in the bag.  "Ummm-hmmmm."  Yeah, definitely three sheets to the wind there.

Not hardly anyone else around.  Just Sue, someone sleepin' it off in the corner, and two guys cleanin' up-hey, they got a cage.  That means fightin'.  That means I can probably make some money to pay for food.  Good.  Finally, I catch a fuckin' break.

"Here you go."  Whoa.  She wasn't kiddin' about bringin' whatever was left-soup, three sandwiches, fries, and a piece of pie.  I'm hungry though.  "Eat up."  Did she-I think she just winked at me.  People don't wink at me.  I'm scary.  I'm a bad motherfucker.  "All right, the rest of you, out.  It's closing time."

"Uh, Rogue?"  One of the cleanin' up guys.  Old, probably sixty or so.  "You gonna be all right by yourself here?"  Lookin' at me all suspicious.  Well, can't really blame him.  I'm just some asshole who wandered in all covered in snow and shit and who said he don't have any money loud enough for the whole bar to hear.

"I'm fine.  I can take care of myself, sugar."  Well, she's either overly optimistic or somewhat suicidal, 'cause if I was plannin' on robbin' the place, she wouldn't be able to stop me.

"Rogue.."  That must be her name.  Hmm.  Weird name.

"I'm fine.  You go on home before Margie starts thinking you're dead in a ditch somewhere.  Go on."

"All right, then.."  He's givin' me the hairy eyeball just in case.  "See ya tomorrow."

"Bye."  Wavin' at his back, real nice.  She's pretty damn perky for a shithole like this.  "How's the food?"

"Huh?  Oh, it's fine.  Thanks."  You know, she's got an interestin' face.  Real big eyes and big, full lips.

"No problem.  I'm just going to close up, so don't mind me.  You get warmed up."  Puttin' things in order back behind the bar.  Wonder if I should say somethin'.  Probably not.  I already said thanks, so what else is there to say?  Oh-hey-I could ask about the fights.

"Uh, Rogue, right?"

"Mmm-hmmm."  Lookin' up to talk to me.  She's got a lotta hair.  Wonder why she don't wear it up.  Weird.

"I, uh, noticed the cage.  I'm a fighter.  I could-well, I could make up the money I owe ya for the coffee and food in the next go-round."

Wonder why that made her frown.  "Don't worry about it.  It's on the house."

"When is the next fight?  'Cause I could use the money anyway."  And I like to pay my own way.  I know it's just a couple bucks worth of food, but still.

"Now why would a nice person like you go getting in the cage?  Hmm?"  She looks like she's askin' that for real, but she's *gotta* be kiddin'.  Nice person?  Is the snow coverin' up my bad-assedness or somethin'?  I thought it was mostly melted away by now.

"I've done it before.  I'm good at it."  I really can't think of what else to say.

"So?"

"So, I, uh, I thought I'd do it some more to make money.  Look, kid-"  Her eyebrow went up at that. "-I, ah, don't have nothin' except the clothes on my back.  I could use the cash."

"Could you use a fractured skull?  Because that's what you'll probably get if you step into that cage."

"Why would you give a shit?"  It kinda irritates me when people try to tell me what to do.  Even cute little things who're feedin' me and takin' me in at the moment.

"Because you can't possibly be up to fighting after an eighteen mile stroll in a blizzard.  I'm surprised you lived through that."  Wouldn't be, if she knew about my-what did that dickhead Xavier call it?-oh yeah, my gift.  More like my curse, if you ask me.  She also wouldn't be feedin' me and havin' conversation if she knew about me.  She'd be runnin' for the hills. "And because I hate it when people die in my bar.  It means I have to talk to the province authorities, and I try to avoid that whenever possible, sugar."

"Your bar?"

"Yeah.  That's why the sign outside says 'Rogue's.'"  Shit, didn't notice that.  Still -

"Your bar?" 

"Yeah, sugar.  I got it through some..well, some unusual circumstances.  But I've owned it for almost a year now.  My bar."

"Ain't you a little young for that?"  I mean, I'm not sure she's even legal drinkin' age.

"I'm not as young as I look.  Or as sweet."  That's not true-feedin' broke strangers definitely falls under that category of sweet.  Or, you know, crazy.  Or just plain weird.

"I'll be fine for the fights.  Really.  I-"

"Oh, no.  No way.  I say who can go in the cage and I say you don't."

"Hey!"

"Look-I'm going to give you the key to the storage room upstairs.  It's got a cot and I'll get you some blankets.  You rest up for a few days, get your feet back under you, and then I'll be happy to let you indulge your violent impulses in the cage, all right?"

"I ain't no charity case."  I don't need her help, and I sure as hell don't need a few days to heal up.  I'm almost as good as new now and I sure as shit ain't gonna let no little girl tell me I can't-

"Really?  Well, what are you then, sugar?  'Cause you look to me like you're half-frozen and without a penny to your name.  You look like you could use a little help but you're being too proud to take it."  I really, really don't like her.  Who the hell is she to tell me-"Look, I know you're probably not the kind of person who usually needs help.  I can just tell that about you, you know?  But I think-it looks like you're in a little bit of a spot at the moment, and well, let's just say that I have this karmic payback obligation to help people like you out.  Really, you'd be doing me a favor.  You know, letting me chip into my karmic debt a little?  Look at it that way." 

"You're irritatin'."  And unfortunately, she's makin' a little sense and the way she said that last part-well, I could do her a favor if she needed one.

"You're not the first to tell me that, sugar."  Pourin' me the rest of the coffee.  She has been kinda nice even if she is weird.  I mean, people aren't usually nice to me.  I guess I could do her a little favor.  "So, what'll it be?"

"Fine.  Fine.  But I'll be back on my feet tomorrow.  You'll see."






"I've asked you twice to get out of my bar.  Sugar, I'm just about done playing nice."  What?  Oh yeah, the girl.  Rogue.  Shit, somethin' must be up down there.  Her voice sounds tense.  I gotta get up and see what's what.

"Miss, I assure you that we mean you no harm."  Fuckin' Xavier.  "In fact, as you have probably guessed, we are mutants.like yourself."  She's a mutie?  Shit, I never woulda guessed.  Wonder what her 'gift' is.

"And what's your mutation, sugar?  Rudeness?  Inability to listen when other people are talking?"  Heh.  That's kinda funny.  I'd better go down and talk to 'em.  They probably came here lookin' for me.

"Look-"  I think that's the one with the glasses.  Uptight asshole.  "- the man we're looking for, he could be dangerous." 

"You mean me?"  Shit, she must be more freaked than her voice was lettin' on-she's got one hand on the shotgun underneath the bar.  Well, I'll just come over and stand beside her.  Maybe that'll help.

"Ah, yes, Wolverine.  We did not have an opportunity to finish our conversation."

"I was pretty much done talkin', Chuck."  He hates it when I call him that.  Well, I didn't ask him to come track me down, so he's gonna hafta take what he gets.

"I would like the chance to-"

"I believe this nice lady here asked you to get the hell outta her place.  Get goin'."  They ain't gonna be scared of one little girl, not even with a gun, but I can always bring out the claws if they start givin' her shit.

"I wish you would reconsider, Logan.  I can help you.  I can help you find your past, help to protect you from your enemies, like Magneto."  Am I supposedta be scared of that shithead?  I don't need protection from nobody.  Magneto-sure he can twist my ass into a pretzel, but fuck that.  I ain't lookin' for protection.

"Get on your way, Chuck."  Him and Mr. Tight-ass can just go back to where the hell they came from.  They're the ones that led Magneto to me in the first damn place.

"Perhaps another time."  He's gonna go.  Well, good.  Wouldn't wanna bring any trouble on Rogue's doorstep.

"Bye-bye, y'all."  She's got spirit, I'll give her that.  "Nice friends you have there."

"They ain't my friends."

"Mmm-hmmm.  Well, they sure wanted to talk with you."  She's still figurin' out what to make of that, I think.

"Yeah.  They want me to join their little mutant justice league, the x-men."

"X-men?  I think I've heard of them.."

"Yeah, well I ain't inclined to join up, but they ain't takin' no for an answer."  I guess it's OK to tell her.. "See, I'm a mutant too."

"Ah.  Heard him say that about me too, did you?"  What's that sad look about?

"Yeah.  I, uh, I heal.  From just about anythin'."  Maybe I shouldn't tell her about the claws right off.

"Hmph.  That's why you were in such a hurry to fight.  That's why you made it through the blizzard." 

"Yeah."  I can see she's the kinda person who's naturally curious.  Just the way she said that, the way she figured it out right away. 

"Unfair advantage, don't you think?"

"Huh?" 

"It's an unfair advantage in the cage, don't you think?"

"Nah."  Better not tell her about the claws.  She might decide not to let me fight.  She seems kinda like the sorta person who'd wanna be sure to make the fights fair.  And it's not like I'd use 'em in the cage.  "Can't fight any better, just heal from what gets dished out better."  I think that's OK with her.  That settled it.  She's noddin'.  "What's yours?"

"What?"

"Your mutation, your thing."

Whoa, she's lookin' at me real intense.  "It's my skin.  It kills anyone who touches it.  It sucks their life out of them and it pours into me.  With mutants, I get their powers too.  I can't control it.  That's why.well, all this."  Holdin' up her gloved hands.  Didn't notice before-well, it's cold.  It's not that outta the ordinary to be so covered up.  "Most people around here don't know.  I'd appreciate it if you kept it to yourself." 

"Sure.  Hey-I'm sorry 'bout them comin' here.  I-uh-didn't mean to cause trouble."  For some reason, I got this weird urge to get that sad look offa her face.  I liked her better when she was teasin' me and tellin' me what to do, even.  That sad look is just wrong on her somehow.  I almost even wanna hug her or somethin', if that'd make it go away. 

"It's fine, sugar, don't worry about it."  I gotta stop havin' these weird feelings.  'Cause now that she's smilin' just a little, I -  "How are you feeling this morning?"  I have this urge to touch her hair.

"Better.  Warm.  Thanks for the clothes."   It's nice hair, but what the hell is goin' on with me?

"No problem.  Look-I was just going to cook myself up some breakfast.  Would you like some too?"

"rrrr"  I guess my stomach's answerin' that one for me.  Now she's smilin' pretty good.

"Come on, then." 





"So Jack took me in, let me waitress.  To this day, I don't know what would've happened to me if he hadn't.  I mean, I look back on it now and wonder what the hell I was thinking-seventeen, not a dime to my name, hitchhiking across two countries.anyway, about eight months later, Jack had a heart attack.  Dropped dead behind the bar, just like that.  He was only fifty-two.  I don't remember too much about that night.  Just him falling and me realizing he was dead, and then I apparently just lost it.  My hair turned white on the spot and I passed out.  It was so traumatic-to lose the one person I loved and trusted, you know?  But he left the bar and everything else to me when he passed, so now instead of Jack's, it's Rogue's."

That's one helluva hard luck story.  Parents kickin' her out, and she's right-she coulda been in deep shit if this Jack hadnta taken her in.  Must be a strong person to bounce back from all that shit.  And it goes a long way to explainin' why she'd help me out like she did.  I wish I could think of somethin' to say to all that, but I dunno what would be the right thing. 

"You want to fight tonight, don't you?"  And I'd wanna say the right thing 'cause I like the way she talks to me, you know?  Real open, real up-front.  Like a person.  Like she respects me enough and likes me enough to do that.

"Yeah.  You gonna sign off on that?"

"Are you really all right?"  It's somethin' about her face, too.  Those big eyes and the way her lips scrunch together when she's a little worried.  Like now.  She's worried about me and it makes me feel weird, but it's kinda nice too.

"Yeah.  I'm fine, darlin'."  That raised her eyebrow too, but in a different way than "kid."  A better way, I think.

"Are you *sure*?"  Leanin' across the table a little.  Makes her hair drift over her face a little.  The white streaks suit her somehow.

"Positive.  I'll be fine.  And I'll win too."  

"Oh yeah?  And what makes you so sure about that, sugar?" 

"I always have.  I'm unbeaten."

"Real roughneck, hmm?"  I think she's flirtin' a little.  I think she might be having some weird feelings about me too.

"Nah.  Not really."  At least not with her.  "Wanna make a bet?"

"You don't have any money."

"True..but I'll betcha somethin' else."  Look at that, I think she's blushin'.  "You pick what."  That'll put her at ease a little.

"All right, I'll bet you breakfast.  You win, you cook for me. You lose, I'll cook for you."





"I was hoping this would be a reward for me, not a punishment."

"Hey, it's not my fault those pancakes burned!  The pan was sticky."

"Well, that's why one usually puts some butter in it first, sugar."  She's havin' a lotta fun with this, I can tell.  She was real edgy watchin' me fight, but that time I caught her eye and winked at her put her at ease a little, I think.  Weird to have someone worried about you, worried that you'll get hurt.

"Aw, come on, the coffee turned out good."

"You're right, it did." 

"You sure you don't mind me hangin' around until Friday?"  That'll be the next fight and now that I got some money, I can pay her for room and board. 

"No problem.  I kind of like having you around."  Oh now, that's a blush.  Real pink.

"Yeah.  I like it here, uh, too."  Oh, smooth, Logan.  Real smooth.  But it couldnta been all bad 'cause it made her blush some more.

"It was like this with Jack, too, you know?  I knew him right away.  Within a minute, I knew we were.compatible, somehow.  I knew he was like me, that he had some part of him that matched me."  Whoa.  That's serious.  "You do too."

I can't really think of what to-

"You don't have to say anything.  I just thought I'd say that."  Nice smile, normal as anything, real easy. 

"OK."  I should say somethin' though.  "You make me feel weird."

"Ummm"

"Good weird."  What is it with me all of a sudden?  Can't I make anything come out right?

"Oh."

"Different, I mean different."  That should be better. 

"Oh." 

"Good different."

There's a smile.  That's progress.  "Good."  Bigger smile.  "Good."  She must be right about that part of me thing if she understood that.  She must be right.  This is gonna be good.  This-whatever's between me and her-it's gonna be good.




"Mornin', darlin'."  I never really spent the whole night with someone, you know, sleepin' with 'em and all, so I'm not really sure how this mornin'-after stuff goes.

"Hey.  What time is it?"

"'Bout nine."  She looks pretty happy, so I must be doing OK so far.  The sex part-I didn't have any worries about that.  I'm good at that, no problems there.  But the talking part and havin' her cuddle up to me after-well, I just kinda did my best there. 

"Mmmmwe have time for more sex."  Little vixen.  Well, I guess that answers my question as to whether I'm doin' OK with the mornin'-after stuff.  Maybe even OK enough to tease her a little.

"So, what, you made me wait a month to sleep with you and now you can't get enough?"

Smilin' at me.  And I can remember crystal clear what those big lips felt like wrapped around my-"Something wrong with that, sugar?"

"It's a little weird, but I'm willin' to live with it."





"Fuck!"  She's bleedin', bad.  Fuck, oh fuck!  "Stay still, baby."  Three months.  Three months, that's all I've had with her and I ain't gonna lose her now.  "Hang on."

"Logan.."  That fucker Sabretooth, he got her good before she took him out.  Him and Magneto.  Goddamn fucker had me dead to rights off the bat.  Couldn't move, couldn't do nothin' to stop Sabretooth from rippin' her up.  She hadta use her powers to take 'em both down, and God only knows what's goin' on with them in her head now.  I don't know why the hell she didn't get Sabretooth's power.  Unless she was tryin' not to, tryin' to keep as much of him out as possible, I dunno.  Shit.  We gotta go.  We gotta get the hell outta here-the back end of the bar's already on fire. 

"Hang on.  I'm gonna get you outta here."

"No."  She's losin' consciousness.  Just gonna pick her up real careful.  Get her out into the snow, clear of the bar.  Her keys-her keys are probably in her pocket.  That means I can get her into the truck.  That'll be better. 

"Honey, the bar's on fire, we gotta get out.  Just hang on, baby."  Please, God.  Not like this.  I can't lose her, and especially not like this.  Not for somethin' I brought down on her head.  Please, God.

"Loganare you OK?" 

"Fine, just fine."  Got a chunk of my leg taken out.  Healed.  Burned my arm pretty good.  Healed.  "Hang on, baby."

"Careful..my skin.."  Almost to the truck.  Hang on, baby.

"Rogue, I'm gonna put you in the driver's seat.  Just hang on.  You're gonna be fine."  There, now gonna climb in the other side and-

"Logan..I feel dizzy."  She's losin' blood.  I gotta hurry. 

"Come here, baby."  I dunno if this is gonna work, but it should.  Everythin' she said about her mutation-it should work.  Sabretooth-she musta been tryin' to keep him out.  That hasta be it.  It's gotta work with me, it's gotta.

"Oh!  No.."  I hafta.  I hafta do it.  Sorry, baby, so sorry I brought all this down on you.  Just let it work, just let it work, just let it work.





"You must fuckin' hate me."

"Hey.you're up.  How are you feeling?"  She don't look too pissed off.  But I bet its occurred to her that I repaid her for takin' me in by leadin' those shitheads to her bar.  She lost everything she ever had, everything Jack gave her, 'cause of me.  Rogue's is gone.  No way she can't be pissed by that. 

"I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault, Logan.  You saved my life."  She looks OK, really OK.  The blood's still on her clothes, but she looks fine.  We're-we're drivin'.  If she's drivin', she must be OK.  She musta let me in.  She musta felt OK with that.  "But Logan, you could've died.  I could've killed you.  So don't-um, don't do that again."

"I wanted more than three months."  It's true, that's why I did it.  Selfish reasons.  I wanted more than three months with her.  And I never can stop myself from touchin' her hair. 

"Hey..we're OK, all right?  We're fine.  We have more than three months."  Tryin' to reassure me.  So weird that she's not pissed.  I'm glad.  Still my fault what happened, though.

"They were after me.  They came lookin' for me."

"I know."

"I brought all that down on you're head."

"It's not your fault, it's their fault, Logan."

"But-"

"But nothin', sugar.  We're going to be just fine."  It can't be that easy.  It just can't.  I mean-I'm usin' up all my good luck here.  Findin' her in the first place, her lettin' me love her, be with her, and the touch thing actually workin', havin' it save her life.  That's too much good luck right there.  She should be pissed.  I should be losin' her right about now.  This is just too weird.

"Rogue?  Where're we goin'?"

"Jack left me a little cabin up in the rockies, north of Jasper, real out in the woods.  I've only ever been there once.  They shouldn't be able to find us there." 

"Thank God."

"We'll be safe there."

"No, thank God you still have somethin' left.  The bar..I thought it was all you had left of Jack, and here I go takin' it away from you."

"I loved that bar, and I'll miss it, sugar, but it's not as important to me as you are."  You know, we don't say 'I love you' or shit like that.  It's not our style.  I know and she knows, so why talk about it all the time.  She must really mean it to say it out loud.  "I'm just glad you're OK, I'm glad I didn't hurt you-well, you know, permanently."

"You didn't hurt me at all, darlin'.  Don't you worry about that."  She's real sensitive about her skin, always worried about accidents, always so careful with me.  And I know it's partly 'cause -"Hey, have you got me in your head?"

"Oh, yes.  You're pretty strong up there.  You're hanging in there."

"Shit.  Sorry."  Probably just what she was tryin' to avoid.  Probably why she wanted to keep Sabretooth out.  It's gotta be miserable, just fuckin' horrible to hafta have another person in your head.  It's gotta be -

"I like it."

She never reacts like I expect.  Shit, I should expect *that* by now.  She's weird, real weird.  That shouldn't make me wanna kiss her, but it does.  Maybe I should just make sure.  "Yeah?"

"Yeah.  You fit in with me pretty well.  I like it a lot."

"Yeah?"  God, I do wanna kiss her.  Right now. 

"You must be feeling better, sugar."  She can always tell when I want her.  OK, I usually want her all the time, so it's not that hard to figure out, but

"How long to that cabin?"

"About nine hours."

"Pull over."

"Logan?"

"Pull over.  I can't wait that long to hold you, darlin'.  Pull over."  She is-and she's smilin'.  I was right-she does make me feel weird, but good weird.  The kind of weird I can take a lot more of.

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives