Sleep Tonight


Title: Sleep Tonight
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don't own them.  Darn.
Archive: WRFA, Mutual Admiration, and Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask :)
Feedback: Please!  With whipped cream on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.....
Summary: Marie's insomnia and Logan's thoughts on it.
Comments: Just a little vignette, which I don't usually do, but this one popped into my head.  It was originally part of a longer story, but I think I'll leave it at that for now......... The title comes from a Keith Richards song, from somewhere in the mid or late eighties, which itself is a cover of an earlier reggae hit.  It's still one of my favorites ;)

-----------------------------------------------------


"Hey."  She's been comin' over the past three nights.  This makes four.  "Come on in."  I know it's wrong.  Well, I take that back.  It ain't wrong, but it looks wrong.  Or it would if anyone gave enough of a shit about her to check in on her and find her in my bed insteada hers. 

"Sorry."  She always says that, and I always say it's OK.  It is. 

"'S all right.  Lay your head down on me there."  It's always like this when she comes over.  She crawls under the covers, I put both arms around her, and she lays her head on my chest. 

"I couldn't sleep."  Not a surprise.  She hasn't been able to sleep since Magneto got her the second time.  That was five days ago.  Her life hung in the balance for 15 long hours while they sent the blackbird out to get me and we flew back.  I was almost too late.  It was a matter of minutes, maybe seconds.  I'll never forgive them for that, you know.  They waited.  They waited until the fight was over and they were sure they had that bastard until they tried to help her. 

"You'll sleep now.  Just relax, darlin'."  She got a mega-dose of me in her head, 'cause I got to languish in the great beyond for a few minutes.  Not a big deal.  I was only gone eight minutes.  That's nothin' for a guy like me.  Plus, now she has my powers for good.  That's worth dyin' a little for.  It'd be worth dyin' a lot for. 

"I'm sorry."  I tried to ask her what for the first two nights, and she just cried and cried, almost hysterically.  I stopped askin'.

"It's OK.  You just rest.  You just get some sleep."  I'll be takin' her up outta here in a coupla more days.  Just wanna keep her here a while until we're sure she's all OK, you know, up in her head.  My mutation'll heal her body, but her head - that's another thing. 

"You'll stay awake, right?"  Holdin' me so tight she'd be breakin' bones if mine weren't made of metal. 

"Yeah.  Yeah.  Sleep, OK?"  As soon as I got up from the coma, I read Scooter and Chuck the riot act.  Do you know what they had the nerve to say?  It was an acceptable loss.  It was *acceptable* to risk her life, to lose it, if it got them Magneto.  That's when I knew there was no more talkin' to them.  They have no idea.  "You're OK.  I gotcha."

"I'm sorry." 

"Shhh."  Maybe rubbin' her back will help.  Sometimes it does.  "You're OK now.   I'm here to look out for ya."

I'm gonna pay 'em back for what they did to Marie.  Not Magneto, his ass is already in jail.  Mystique - dead.  Sabretooth - dead, I hope.  Nah, I expect that shit outta them.  The x-geeks, I expected better outta.  I'm gonna pay 'em back, no question.  For Chuck, for Scooter, there's a lotta soft spots, a lotta things it'd kill 'em to lose.  Me, I'm not that way.  There's just one thing like that for me - Marie. 

"Logan - I - I - "

"It's all right, darlin'."

"I'm so sorry I hurt you."  I kinda thought that's what it was.  She didn't wanna touch me.  She gave Jeannie and Hank orders not to do it if they thought it'd hurt me a lot.  They both thought it'd probably kill me 'cause she was almost gone, and they were right.  She shoulda known I'd do it no matter what.  If there was any kinda chance, I'd do it.  Maybe even if there wasn't a chance. 

"Shhh.  It's OK."  I couldn't stand to lose her.  I couldn't live through that.  It is in no way 'acceptable.' 

"I'll understand if you - if you go.  I'll understand if you don't love me any more.  I'll understand if you want - "

"Hush.  Just don't.  That's - none of those things're gonna happen.  I'm not lettin' you outta my sight ever again, darlin', and I'll always, *always*, love you."  I've been tellin' her that since it happened.  Seems weird now, how much I made outta that before, how reluctant I was to say it, to commit to her, to change my life.  Changin' my life from top to bottom seems like nothin' when I think 'bout losin' her. 

"I'm so sorry." 

"It's OK."  And it is, 'cause she's still with me.  I've still got her.  That makes everythin' OK.

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives