Eighteen Surprises in Broad Daylight

Title: Eighteen Surprises in Broad Daylight
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: R
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Questions, Take Four. Logan and Rogue, and just about everyone else gets an unpleasant surprise or two.
Series: Eighteen #18
Disclaimer: Sadly, tragically, none of these people belong to me.
Archive: Ask, and I will joyfully provide
Feedback: Please! Although the surgeon general warns that it may lead to more fic....
Author's Notes: Yes, I am an action junkie. Why do you ask?


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wednesday 9:17 a.m.
Lodge

Mmm. Nice warm bed. Got Marie snuggled in nice and tight there. Yep, absolutely no reason to move. None at all.

Gotta talk to Chuck today. Let him know we're leavin'. Wonder how he'll take that. He might not mind that much, but I bet he'll be sorry to see Marie go. Hell, they all will. Although I don't mind takin' her away from Remy too much. I know she says there's nothin' there, but I'm not blind, I've got eyes. He's real smooth, and a hell of a lot better lookin' than I am. Give him a little time and he'll be workin' her like there's no tomorrow. Not that she'd do anythin' about it, I don't think. But I don't wanna have to put up with that. Cajun-boy might end up with a coupla inches of admantium in his chest.

Well, not gonna be a problem. We'll be outta here in a few days. It'll take us a little while to get back up the mountain, but I don't really mind spendin' some time on the road. We shouldn't hafta make too many stops along the way. We can take some stuff from here, borrow a car or somethin', and get going by Friday or Saturday. She'll wanna finish that painting for Chuck first. Might take a couple days.

Then, once we get there, I vote for just stayin' in for a while. We can just spend some time, some quiet time. Let all this stuff settle. And let me keep a close eye on her. If somethin' does happen, I'll be right there to touch her and fix her. But nothin's gonna go wrong. She seems OK, really. What's that saying? Think positive? I can do that. Everything's gonna work out well, everything's gonna be fine. Yep, things are gonna be nice and steady for a while......

<Logan.>

<Goddammit, would you stay the hell out of my head Ch - Professor.....>

<Logan, you and Rogue are needed at the mansion immediately. Sabretooth has attacked a nearby school and has taken hostages.>

Wednesday 9:29 a.m.
Professor Xavier's Office

"You're not goin'!"

"That's ridiculous, I can help." I can't believe this. After getting away from Sabretooth twice without his help! This is NOT the time for him to go all caveman on me.

"I'm not gonna let you get yourself killed! Your ass is stayin' right the fuck here!"

"Bullshit, I can help those people, they need - "

"I don't give a rat's ass about those fuckin' people at the school, and you don't have a goddamn obligation to help them. I'm gonna go out there and kick that big hairy fucker's ass, and you're gonna stay here."

"Rogue, perhaps Logan is right."

"Professor! I can take care of myself in a fight, I - "

"I have no doubt of that, Rogue, but, on second thought, it may not be helpful to the team to have you along. We need all the help we can muster, but this could be a ruse to lure you to him. Mystique's letter mentioned his interest in you. Perhaps you would only be putting yourself and all of us in more danger by going. And, we are still not sure that you are entirely well."

"Professor - "

"Yeah, what he said. You're stayin' here."

Wednesday 9:30 a.m.
Hangar

"But we're ready!" He promised. Scott promised we'd go on the next mission with them, and now he's backing out. It's not fair! I can fry Sabretooth just as good as anyone else.

"Jubilee, not this time."

"Aw, come on! We can help you guys. We really can!" I can tell he's not gonna listen. He's already putting on his gloves.

"You're the most help to us here. Someone needs to stay with the students in case there's any trouble at the mansion."

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. "The security here is primo, there's not a snowball's chance in hell that someone could get through!"

"Those are the orders, Jubilee. I've got to go."

Wednesday 9:35 a.m.
Blackbird

"ETA six minutes. Anything from the Professor, Jean?"

"No update. I'll let him know when we touch down."

"I'm gonna kill that bastard. Gonna be nothin' left but little pieces."

"Logan, our objective is to rescue the hostages and to - "

"Whatever, Scooter."

"I warned you when the Professor asked you to come along that I wouldn't tolerate any - "

"Hey - you did leave somebody at the mansion, right?"

"Yes, the junior team. Logan, I meant what I said about - "

"The junior team? You mean those little kids? Fuck, they're not gonna be able to protect Rogue if somethin' goes down."

"Don't worry, Logan, she'll be fine at the lodge. And besides, I made sure that we left someone else to stay with her."

"Thanks, Jeannie."

"You're welcome. And Logan, I agree with Scott in that you must be prepared to - "

"Who?"

"What?"

"Who did you leave with her?"

"Remy."

Wednesday 9:37 a.m.
Lodge

That goddamn stubborn jerk! I can't believe he still thinks I need to be protected - like I'm some kind of helpless little thing that can't fend for herself. 'Go back to the lodge, Rogue. Your ass is staying here, Rogue.' Don't I get a fucking say in it? After everything that's happened! God! Not that I'm in a hurry to face Sabretooth, but, God, I could help them, and they really, really might need me. I mean last time, he took out Jean, Scott, and 'Ro, no problem. I was the one to bring him down. And now I - is that a knock?

"'Allo? Cherie?"

"Remy? What are you doing here? Why aren't you out on the mission?"

"Remy got a better assignment, chere. He stay wit' you jus' in case somethin' bad come along."

I can't believe this. They think Remy can do better than me at fighting Sabretooth. "God, not you too. I don't need a bodyguard, Remy. I can take care of myself."

"But of course. Still, better two den one jus' in case, non?"

Wednesday 9:41 a.m.
Salem Elementary

"Coming down. Prepare for landing. Three, two, one. We're down. Jean, Storm, deploy to the front of the building. Logan, take the side entrance. I'll take the back. Ready? Let's go."

I'm gonna find that fucker. I'm gonna find him and kill him. Enough of this shit. He's not gonna get another swipe in at my girl. He's goin' down.

"Logan? Side entrance, now!"

"Yeah, I'm goin'."

Probably gotta decapitate him or somethin'. Maybe rip his heart out. Who knows if it'll just grow back, though? Fuck. Decapitation, what else? Maybe burn him, maybe burn him to a crisp, right down to the bone. Bet he couldn't heal from that. What the hell, I'll improvise if I have to, but he's not walking away this time.

It's fuck all quiet in here and it stinks with fear. That's a helluva thing - havin' your little classes and show and tell and shit and then Sabretooth busts right in. Hope he didn't kill any of 'em. Can't smell them anywhere close yet. He must be in the library with all the kids like the Professor said. Gotta be careful of the kids. Don't want them to get hurt, but if I get a chance to -

Wait, I smell somethin'. Somethin's not right. There's somebody nearby, but I can't quite - I know that smell, I - Fuck! Can't move! Gotta be - "Magneto?" But he's supposed to be in prison, it can't be -

"Hello, Wolverine. How good of you to come."

Wednesday 9:42 a.m.
Salem Elementary

"There he is. He's got all the kids on the floor, face down. Jean, open the doors with your powers. I'll sneak up behind him and blast him. Jean, you keep a lookout for Mystique and, Storm, get the kids to safety. Sound like a plan?"

"Scott, should we not wait for Logan?" I do not think we should proceed without him. If Scott misses, or if Sabretooth recovers from Scott's optic blast before we can remove all of the children, there may be complications.

"No, we've got to go as soon as possible."

"All right. Let's go." Jean is opening the doors, allowing Scott to move in undetected. Good. Now as long as Sabretooth does not turn around and see Scott before - oh! He turned! But Scott blasted him just as he did - he got him!

"Children, this way! Come quickly, go!" Hurry, hurry. Send them out the front, they can take shelter with the emergency workers. Hurry. Sabretooth is down, but I do not think he caught the full force of Scott's blast. Frankly, I am surprised he has remained down this long and I -

"Bright Lady!" Sabretooth is getting up. "Hurry! Hurry, children!" They are almost all out. Just a few more. Scott is preparing to blast him again. Hurry. Just two more - go, go. Good. All clear, now to -

"Oh!" Sabretooth is dodging the blast and....changing? He cannot - no! It is not Sabretooth at all, it is Mystique!

"Scott!" She has him, she has him and Jean is down - how did Jean - "Uh!" Something hit me from behind. I cannot get up, my head......Have to try to......I am losing, losing......

"Really, that was entirely too easy. It's quite disappointing that Charles didn't teach them to do a better job of watching their backs. One never knows when a flying piece of metal might sneak up. Isn't that right, my dear?"

Wednesday 9:50 a.m.
Lodge

"Remy didn't mean to make you mad, chere."

"My relationship with Logan isn't any of your business." I really, really do not want to have this talk with Remy right now. I'm worried enough about Logan as it is and I don't feel like yet another round of 'Logan is bad for you.'

"Jus' wonderin' what you see in 'im. Must be somethin' dere for you to stay wit' him, non?"

"Look, Remy, I appreciate your concern, but I said - " Was that a noise? "Did you hear that?"

"Non, Remy not - "

"It came from out back. There's someone out there."

"Chere, Remy know you worried, but not a man alive dat could get past de security in dis place wit'out some alarm - "

"Someone's out there. I can smell it." Smells bad too.

"Chere, you feelin' OK? 'Cause Remy don' smell - "

Shit, shit, shit. Something is definitely out there. "Shut up. Stay away from the door, I think - "

FUCK! Sabretooth! God, he came right through the fucking door. Shit! What the hell is he doing here? He couldn't have put down Scott and Logan and the whole team already? Shit, this isn't good.

"Get back, chere." That's not gonna work, those charged cards of Remy's won't make a dent. I have to think of something, I have to think.

Wednesday 9:52 a.m.
Salem Elementary

"Got what we came for, then?"

"Yes, my dear. How convenient for us that he's made of metal."

"He didn't give you any trouble, did he?"

"That's quite impossible, my dear. Shall we?"

Wednesday 9:53 a.m.
Lodge

"Remy, look out!" Sabretooth's going to come with a roundhouse and - oh, shit, he's down. Remy's really hurt. Fuck. And that chunk Sabretooth took out of my side with his claws is starting to slow me down.

"Just you and me now, frail."

"In your twisted dreams, psycho." God, was that a laugh? That's a damn ugly sound. Why isn't he coming at me? Is he gonna play with me or something? "What? Aren't you going to ask me about Magneto?"

"Not just yet, sweetheart. I've got plans for you."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I think every bit of blood in my body just ran cold. The way he said that....

"You'll see. Come on along with me nice and peaceful, and maybe I won't finish off your little friend here."

"Fuck you."

"We'll do that later. All that blood is really getting me off." Oh God, I can't call his bluff, he'll do it, he's bending down toward Remy now. "Bye bye little man..."

Enough. "All right. Stop it. I-I'll go. But first tell me what the hell is going on."

"You and I are gonna have a little fun together, baby." God, no, no. "But first we're gonna see some old friends."

Wednesday 10:10 a.m.
Lodge

"Rogue? Are you in here? Rogue, we heard some noise and - oh!"

"What? What is it Kitty?"

"Remy!"

"Oh my god!"

"Jubes, he's hurt, he's hurt! Oh God, we've got to get him help, we've got to - "

"Hang on, Kit." <Professor....>

"Jubes, we have to hurry, he's bleeding, and his pulse is weak. We have to get him help right now!"

<Jubilee? I am trying to assist the team at the moment, and I require - >

<Remy's dying. We need help.>

<All right. Hank is on the way.>

<Is the team in trouble? Can we help?>

<They are all seriously injured. Logan is missing. Jubilee - get Remy to the medlab. Then come to my office. I may need you to help retrieve the first team.>

"Jubes!"

"Hang on, help's on the way."

Wednesday 10:45 a.m.
Magneto's Fortress

"I believe everything is in order. Ah, yes, our little clawed friend is waking up."

"Wha.....what the hell? I....I....."

"Take your time. Even you require some rest to heal from the kind of blunt trauma to the head that I inflicted."

"What the hell did you do to me?"

"Well, I knocked you out, took you here, and put you in that room."

"Look here you son of a bitch, whatever you've got up your sleeve, I'm gonna.....I'm gonna get outta here and then - "

"Oh, you won't be going anywhere, Wolverine. The room you are in is sealed by a magnetic field. Should you approach it, you will simply stick to it until I decide to release you."

"Fucking liar! You fucking - "

"If I were you, I would watch my language. You are going to be a guest here, perhaps for some time."

"The fuck I am. Ooomph!"

"You see, I was being completely truthful about that magnetic field. You're not a very trusting soul, are you? Well, I'll let you go this one time...."

"You mother-fucker, you - "

"I've told you once already to watch your language, and I shan't tell you again. Close your mouth or I'll close it for you."

"Fuck y- mmmph."

"There. Much better. You know, you should be on your best behavior. You're about to receive a visitor, and I know you'll be happy to see her."

Wednesday 11:14 a.m.
Sabretooth's Van

"I see ya eyein' that door, frail. It's locked from the inside, you can't get out."

"Where are you taking me?" Shit, have to try to stay calm. He's probably taking me to Mystique or something. Just stay calm, Rogue. Panicking isn't going to do you any good. Logan's OK, you have to believe that. He's OK and he's going to find you. He's looking right now. Just hang on. He'll come.

"For the damn hundredth time, I told ya it's none of your business. You want another backhand?"

"Not really, no." What an asshole. Jerk. That's it, stay mad. Stay angry, and you won't have time to get scared.

"'Sides, you don't wanna get out. We got somethin' you're gonna wanna see, frail. Or should I say someone?"

Doubtful, very, very doubtful. "If you're talking about Mystique, I don't care if I ever see her again in my life."

"Hell no, why the fuck would I be talkin' about that bitch?"

"Isn't she your friend? I mean, don't you.....work together or something?"

There's that god-awful laugh again. The fact that I amuse him is NOT a comfort. "I fuckin' hate her and she hates me."

"How nice for you both." Good, good, use some of the standard super-hero sarcasm. Don't show that you're afraid. I wonder if this means she didn't tell him about me.....

"I meant, you're gonna wanna see your little loverboy. Ain't ya?"

"What?"

"The little runt. What does he call himself? Oh yeah, the Wolverine....shit, more like weasel if you ask me."

Wednesday 11:48 a.m.
Magneto's Fortress

"How is your little refrigerator magnet?"

"He's stewing, my dear. He's no threat."

"Hmmm. Shouldn't they be here by now?"

"Yes, quite, unless Vic ran into some trouble. Possible, given the task."

"Perhaps he couldn't get her away from the x-men."

"Doubtful. There were only the children left behind, their little 'team' came after you. I knew Charles couldn't resist sending them out in full force to counter an attack on an elementary school. Really, he's so predictable. Defending the innocents and all that nonsense."

"Do you really think it will work this time?"

"I've rebuilt the machine even better. No reason it should not work. It will require her to voluntarily use her powers, though, instead of absorbing mine. That's why we had to obtain her friend. She cares for him, and she will do what is necessary to save his life. Of course, the machine may unfortunately end up killing our little friend Rogue, but her sacrifice will be for the greater good of mutant kind."

"That would be unfortunate."

"Why, my dear, I almost think you mean that."

Wednesday 12:02 p.m.
Magneto's Fortress

"Welcome, my dear. How have you been?" God, I forgot how much like somebody's grandpa he looks. Still evil, though.

"Well, I've had a really happy and fulfilling life. Oh yeah, except for when I get kidnapped by one of you three. How about you?" That's it, keep it even, try not to let them see you panic. Try not to actually panic. Logan's still alive, he's got to be. Don't think about that. Think about other things. Make yourself think about other things, or you'll lose it.

"Well, I've been wasting away in prison, thanks to you and your little friends. How nice of you to ask."

"What do you want with me?" Might as well get it out.

"Very well, perhaps it is for the best to cut to the chase. Come, I have something to show you." God, this place is huge. Does every evil mutant get a plot of land or something? Just to build an evil castle on? How does that work? "I believe you know each other."

Oh my God, Logan. He looks OK, but something's wrong. He's not talking, he's not moving. Wait, he's not moving. "Are you doing something to him?"

"He has been ill behaved, my dear. I wouldn't wish for you to see anything inappropriate."

"Let him go, let me talk to him." God, I just had a flashback of Magneto holding him up on the train and prying his claws apart. Got to get that out of my head. Calm down, calm down. I have to find out if he's OK.

"Well, perhaps just for a bit."

"You rotten son of a - mmmmrph!" Oh God, Logan's pissed as hell. Shit, shit, shit. And he must be trapped in that room or something or he would've been out and tearing Magneto to bits in a heartbeat.

"You see, very uncivilized."

"Let me talk with him." Starting to panic again. Magneto could make him do anything, could make him stab himself, or twist the metal inside him to break his bones, or rip his claws out.....stop it, stop it, Rogue. That's not helping. You're going to have to get the both of you out of this and panicking won't help you.

"My dear - "

"Look, I came with Sabretooth voluntarily. I'm not going anywhere as long as you have Logan, and you know that. Whatever you have planned for me - and I'm guessing it's not going to be pleasant - you won't get me to do it if you hurt him." Good, that came out almost steady. Very little shaking.

"How touching. Actually, you're quite right. I do have something planned for you. And I know you will do as I ask in exchange for keeping your little friend here alive."

"Let me talk to him. Alone. Just for a few minutes." I have to know he's OK, I have to know he's going to be OK.

"That's the oldest trick in the book, my dear."

"Where am I going to go? There's about a foot of metal surrounding this room, am I right?"

"Still - "

"Don't you remember, Erik?" Last chance. If this doesn't work.....well, it's either going to work and I'll get to talk to Logan or possibly I will get us both killed right now.

"What are you talking about?" He's curious. I bet he doesn't realize I still have some of him in there. Wonder why Mystique knew that and he didn't?

"Don't you remember what it's like to be a prisoner? Or have you forgotten the camp already? How surprising. I thought that experience would have meant something to you, would have given you some compassion for others in that same situation." Stay steady, he won't respond if I break down and start crying.

"What would you know about that?" He's angry. VERY angry. That could be good or bad.

"Everything that you know about it. Or didn't you realize that when you touched me? Oh come on, I thought you were an educated man. Don't you know how my mutation works?"

"Do you - do you expect me to believe that you have my memories?" I've never heard him sound anything less than completely sure of himself before.

"What do you think, Erik? Or should I call you 'little mouse'? Wasn't that your mother's nickname for you?"

"You will regret this." He's still pissed, but he's leaving. That's all that really matters.

Wednesday 12:05 p.m.
Magneto's Fortress

"Ummph!" Shit, he dropped me right on the floor.

"Logan, Logan are you all right?"

"I'm fine, darlin'. What the hell are you doin' here?" She looks frantic, panicky, and she looks like she's been through hell. Her side's all ripped up, still bleedin'. Shit, she's hurt. Bruises all over the side of her face, too. Fuck. Those fucking bastards didn't protect her, I am gonna -

"Sabretooth attacked the lodge. He almost killed Remy and took a little swipe at me. I'm sorry."

"Shit. How bad're you hurt?" She's gotta be in a lotta pain. There's blood all over her, I can smell it. Fuck.

"Not bad. The bleeding's slowing down. Look, can you - can you get out of there?"

"I don't think so. The walls, the bars, they're magnetized. I just stick to 'em. He's got me." I am gonna fucking rip him a new one if I ever do get outta this goddamn -

"Fuck."

"You can get out, though. There's a vent right above the door - you could crawl through and - "

"No. No way. I'm not gonna leave you here."

"Oh no, no way in hell. You absolutely are gonna fuckin' leave me here." Can't waste this chance she bought. Gotta use it to get her out. "Listen, kid, you've gotta go. I'll be fine. He can't fuckin' hurt me. You gotta get out. Listen to me, Marie, I think he means to put you in that machine again. I saw it when he dragged me through here. You can't let that happen. It'll kill you. Please, baby, listen to me."

"Scott will come, the team - "

"Marie, they're all out for the count. Magneto and Mystique fucked 'em up good. You can't count on help from them. You have to get out." She's gotta realize there's no hope of bein' rescued here. She's gotta get herself out, right now. I hafta make her go.

"I'm not going. I'm not going without you." She's got that look on her face, the one she gets when she's tryin' to put somethin' together or figure somethin' out.

"You are. You gotta. You can make it. Listen to me now, Marie - "

"NO! Dammit, Logan, no. We're in this together, and we're going to get out of it together."

"Shit, Marie would you for once in your fuckin' life listen to me?!"

"No."

"Jesus Christ! Why the fuck not?" Stubborn fucking woman. Goddamn beautiful, unbelievable, stubborn fucking woman.

"I've got a plan."

"What plan? Shit, darlin' we're pretty fuckin' short of options here. You gotta get out, that's all there is to it." What the hell could she be thinkin'? She's gotta realize that -

"No. I've got a plan."

"What plan, dammit?"

"I'm going to do exactly what he wants."

Wednesday 12:22 p.m.
Magneto's Fortress

"Enough talking for the two of you. Come, my dear, we have work to do."

"You're planning on putting me in that machine again, aren't you?"

"Yes."

"It ain't gonna happen you fu - mmmph."

"He is really quite tiresome. Someone should teach him a broader vocabulary."

"Will it kill me?"

"Perhaps."

"You realize, if I die, you'll only be able to use it once."

"True, but it will make a statement if nothing else. And perhaps you won't die. Perhaps you'll live through three or four attempts."

"I know how to make it work an unlimited number of times."

"Really? And why would you be telling me this? Hmmm? I thought you were an 'x-man.'"

"I'm not interested in being an x-man. I'm interested in survival."

"Smart girl. Perhaps my memories taught you something after all."

"There's a price for that information."

"Let me guess - I have to let the Wolverine go."

"No."

"No?"

"No."

"What, then?"

"You have to let me send a note to Charles, to let him know I'm all right. It's to your benefit as well. He'll just keep looking for me otherwise."

"Aren't you planning on a grand rescue by the x-men, my dear?"

"Not this time. They got lucky last time. I don't want them to get killed trying to rescue me."

"How very noble. Very well, then. How does one make my machine work indefinitely?"

"Do you know what Logan's mutation is?"

"Of course, I - oh, my how brilliantly simple. I must admit, I'm a bit embarrassed at not having thought of that myself."

"You'll have to leave Logan alone while he's touching me, and you'll have to do it right away. I mean - immediately. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly, my dear."

Wednesday 1:48 p.m.
Magneto's Fortress

This has to work. It just has to. God, please let this work.

"Ready, my dear?"

"Ready as I'll ever be." One last look at Logan. He's still frozen in place by Magneto, just an arm's-length away from me. Sabretooth to his left and Mystique to his right just in case he tries anything. God, I hope this works. I hope he knows how much I love him if it doesn't.

"Very well, let's begin the trial run."

Calm, have to stay calm Rogue. Have to make this work. Instinct. Instinct is telling you it will. Go with that.

"Ready......engage."

Oh God, I can feel it already, stronger than last time. But it's going to be different this time, it's going to be different because I can push out. I don't have to let my skin pull, I can make it push. Do it, Rogue, do it. Make this work. Close your eyes. Concentrate.

"Something's wrong!" Magneto. Come on, focus, keep pushing out. You can do it, Rogue.

"Is she supposed to be shaking like that?" Mommie dearest. Focus, Rogue, more, push harder.

"Get her outta there!" Logan, panicked. Hang on. Counting on you to keep it together. Counting on you to carry out the plan.

"It's not working! Dammit!" Magneto, oh, God....my head. Hang on Rogue, can't lose consciousness, can't do that. "Get her out!" That's right, Erik. Don't want to damage your precious machine.

"Let me touch her, let me touch her!" Logan, come on, sugar, stick with the plan. Don't panic. Not for real.

"Do it, fix her! I want to try again immediately!" Not a chance in hell, you bastard. Come on Logan, don't lose it. Stick with the plan. I can smell you coming closer to me. It's working, they're confused, off-balance. Gotta keep my eyes closed and wait until I hear....

"Arrgh!" Good job, sugar. Get Sabretooth down.

"You stupid man!" Magneto's got Logan now, freezing him in place. Not for long, you bastard.

"Erik." He looks absolutely livid just now, as he turned toward me. I can feel his breath on my face, he's so close. "Surprise." I'm woozy, but I can still get the bone claws out. Out and right into his chest.

"Ummmph!" There goes Logan, free now.

"Why..." Blank shock on his face. Not the smug, all-knowing Magneto now, are we?

"F-for everything you d-did to me, Erik. But for h-having to l-live with you in my h-head m-most of all." One last burst of strength, enough to rip up and down through his ribcage. Have to be sure he's dead, so he can't hurt Logan. Logan.....he's got Sabretooth down still, and Mystique's.....she's running away, and....oh God, oh God, my head.......