Eighteen Words

Title: Eighteen Words
Author: Terri
Email: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG
Summary: Sequel to Eighteen Profanities. The Professor gets some mail, and he and Jubilee make a plan.
Disclaimer: Sadly, tragically, not mine.
Archive: Ask, and I will supply with a smile on my face
Feedback: Please? Pleasepleaseplease?
Author's Notes: I've always liked Jubilee, and I always thought she comes through in a pinch.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"What's up, Prof?"

"Thank you for coming, Jubilee. How are you feeling?"

"Fine, just a little tired."

"Glad to hear it. I wanted to have a word with you, if you have a moment."

"Sure."

"You did an excellent job in helping to retrieve the first team after their run-in with Mystique."

"Thanks. It wasn't that big of a deal. The action was pretty much over by the time we got there."

"Still, you rendered medical aid to our team, and successfully secured the area."

"It's all good. No problemo."

"Yes, well. I need your help. I received a note in the mail this morning. I believe it is from Rogue. Take a look."

Professor,

Logan and I are both fine. We're headed down south. Don't follow us. Thanks for everything.

Rogue

"Whoa. That's her handwriting, all right, but this just doesn't sound right."

"No. I did not think so either."

"They'd go north, not south."

"Exactly. Perhaps she was trying to signal us in some way. Perhaps Sabretooth instructed her to write it, to try to throw us off her trail."

"That big hairy freak is gonna have to deal with me if he did anything to hurt her. I swear, I'll fry him."

"Yes, well, I still have not been able to find any sign of Sabretooth or Rogue using Cerebro."

"What about Logan? Look, I know Mr. Summers thinks he totally bailed on them, but he wouldn't do that. I mean, he's not like that, and, he'd totally wanna kick Sabretooth's ass. He wouldn't leave without a big furry chunk of him unless something happened."

"I agree with your assessment, but I have not been able to get a definitive fix on him with Cerebro. It is almost as though there is some sort of electrical interference, or - "

"What?"

"Oh, my. Of course. It may be *magnetic* interference. Jubilee, you said in your report that Jean and Storm had both been knocked unconscious with large metal fuse boxes that had been torn from the wall, correct?"

"Yeah...."

"Perhaps they were not removed by Mystique, or another of her accomplices. Perhaps it was Magneto."

"But he's in jail, Prof. They would've let us know if he got out, right?"

"I would think so, Jubilee, but I shall check immediately. In the mean time, we must begin the search for Rogue. If she wrote this, I believe there is a good chance that she is alive, despite our inability to detect her using Cerebro."

"She's gotta be alive, she's just gotta be. If Logan's alive, he wouldn't've let her croak. I just know it."

"I will check on Magneto's status. Prepare a team. Ask Jean and Remy if either of them feel well enough to go. Storm and Scott are clearly not well enough to leave the mansion. Brief Kitty and Bobby. And Jubilee - "

"Yes?"

"You'll be leading this team. Even if one of the other first team members is well enough to go, they may not be well enough to lead. I am trusting you to make wise decisions and to protect the safety of your team, as well as to search for Rogue. Is that clear, Jubilation?"

"Crystal. You can count on me, Prof."