Title: Hank in Love: Diamonds and Dopplegangers
Author: Terri
Rating: R, violence
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the people in this story, and Keli owns herself.
Archive: Ask, and ye shall receive
Feedback: Please! With a cherry on top? Good, bad, and ugly welcome......
Summary: Sequel to Love Makes You...... Hank's evil twin shows up at the worst possible time.
Comments: I think Hank should probably seek out Victoria for some revenge (well, after he gets finished with Khaki, who's killed him *twice* now......) because she's the one who brought the Dark Beast to my attention in the first place. Really, Hank, I had nothing to do with that, honest........This is turning less foofy all the time, isn't it?

 

"Well, I think the exams went well. We'll see - the kids seemed to feel OK about them." Keli was in the kitchen, talking with two of her fellow teachers and mansion residents about the end-of-semester finals that had just been completed. "Now all I have to do is grade them."

"That's the easy part," Jean joked. "Don't you just throw darts or something?"

"Ha. Maybe that's how you math teachers do it, but we history teachers are very discriminating, thank you very much." There was a friendly rivalry between the sciences and the history and language departments.

"As are the physics teachers," Storm added. "Is Hank still at the conference in San Francisco?"

"Yes, but he comes back tonight. I really missed him. He's been gone five days." Jean and Storm exchanged a look that Keli knew forecasted trouble. Well, that, or at least gossip.

"So, you guys are doing well? Everything going OK?" Jean's tone was perfectly casual, but Keli wasn't fooled.

"Uh-huh."

"And living together agrees with you, no?" Storm was appeared just as innocent.

"Uh-huh." Keli took another sip of her coffee and tried to appear clueless as well. Jean and Storm traded another look, and after that, Jean could hold off no longer.

"Oh, come on! Give us some details! You never talk about Hank and we're all dying to know what he's like! Come on, share!"

"Jean - "

"I've told you all about Scott, come on!"

"But - but Hank's very private and so am I, I've told you that. And besides, I didn't really *want* to know that Scott hums when he's doing it. That's a little TMI."

"Perhaps a small tidbit would satisfy our curiosity and then you would be off the hook, as it were." Storm always took the 'good cop' role in these discussions, Keli reflected.

"Can't I just say that we're both really happy and leave it at that?"

"No," both women answered simultaneously. "Come on," Jean continued, "Is he a little - uh, you know - *wild* in bed?"

"Jean!"

"I could envision a more, shall we say, passionate side to Hank."

"Geez," Keli sighed. This was far from the first time they'd asked things like this and now she was double-teamed, yet again. Storm's earlier suggestion was actually starting to make a minor amount of sense. "OK, OK. He's - let's just say I'm a very satisfied woman, OK?"

"Oooh! And how often are you a satisfied woman? Say.twice a week, maybe?" Jean leaned forward and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, no, no. My goodness, I couldn't live with *that.*" Jean seemed to be confused by that, so Keli clarified. "I'm, ah, a happy woman on a daily basis." Both women looked at Keli in obvious surprise, and, she thought, maybe a little bit of envy too. "What? I have needs."

"Good Lord, I'm lucky if Scott gets around to it every *other* day."

"My dear, no wonder you are anxious for Hank to return." Storm just seemed amused now. Keli guessed that Hank didn't exactly have a reputation as a love machine. Secretly, she got a little thrill from giving him that kind of reputation now. She didn't think he'd mind her spilling a few vague details, especially if they were complimentary to him.

"You can say that again," Keli agreed as she finished off her coffee.

"Really, it's - it's *daily?*" Keli nodded in response to Jean's inquiry. "And is he - is he as creative as he is in the lab?"

"Let's just say he could probably show the author of the Kama Sutra a thing or two." There *were* certain benefits to having a boyfriend that was a genius. "Not that we do that all the time - you know, the, uh, basics work pretty well a lot of the time."

"OK, OK, I know this is a little weird, but I have to ask." Oh-oh, Keli thought. That didn't bode well, coming from Jean. "We all know that Hank has, ah, extra large feet and hands, but are, ah, other parts extra large as well?"

"I'm not telling you that!" Keli finally gave up trying to keep her composure and blushed bright red.

"Inquiring x-women want to know," Storm deadpanned.

"Oh, all right. But I'll just say that, well, Hank is very proportional. Everything pretty much, uh, matches. Now - weren't we talking about students or exams or grades or something? Something not involving my sex life?" Satisfied with their gossip fix, and more than a little pleased with themselves for having gotten Keli to spill some details, Jean and Storm relented and turned the conversation to other topics.

 

 

Hank usually phoned Keli when he was on his way back from a trip, and this one was no exception. Around midnight, he called from LaGuardia to say that he was heading home and that she should not wait up. They talked only briefly, and Keli was reluctant to hang up. She really had missed Hank quite a bit, and was still somewhat uneasy about being alone after Mark had shown up a little more than a month ago. Hank soothed her concerns, though, and after they did finally hang up, she felt better.

As she got ready for bed, she found herself wanting to stay up and wait for Hank despite her assurances to him that she wouldn't. It might be a nice surprise, she thought, and the conversation with Jean and Storm had reminded her that she *had* been a little lonely. Maybe Hank wouldn't be too tired.

Her thoughts were interrupted by some sort of commotion from downstairs. It was late, and the students shouldn't be still up - even if exams were over. It sounded - it sounded almost like a fight, Keli thought as she pressed her ear to the door. Putting on her robe, she ventured out of her room and into the hallway.

The sight that greeted her was shocking. Scott was using his optical blasts against - well, it looked like Hank, except that it couldn't be. Hank had just called moments ago and had to be still driving back to Westchester form the airport. Something else was off, too. Hank was a little different-looking. He wore his unruly blue hair in braids and he even had an earring. Definitely different-looking. As Keli was trying to process the scene before her, Not-Hank gave out a roar as an optic beam finally struck him squarely in the chest. He fell to the ground, and Scott heaved a sigh of relief. Keli rushed to Not-Hank's side without thinking, concern written plainly across her face. "Hank?"

"No," Scott answered firmly as intercepted her by grabbing her around the waist, halting her progress just inches from a prone and woozy Hank. "It's not Hank, Keli. And he's dangerous. Get back."

She complied, but didn't understand what Scott was telling her. "But - but - "

"He looks like Hank, but he's not."

"I *am*, you cretin," Not-Hank insisted as Jean and Storm worked to flip him over and handcuff both hands behind his back before he regained his strength or balance.

"Well, he's not our Hank," Scott clarified. "He's from - well, I know it sounds a little far-fetched, but he's from another dimension, an alternate timeline."

"Uh, I realize I'm not a scientist or, you know, as smart as Hank, but what the hell are you talking about?" Keli eyed Not-This-Dimension-Hank as he was pulled into a sitting position.

"Jean, can you move him downstairs telekinetically and put him in the holding cell?"

"Let me go, you, you *idiots*!" Not-This-Dimension-Hank looked quite angry, and struggled against the handcuffs.

"Not until you tell us what you were doing breaking into the mansion." NTDH fell silent. "Fine then. Jean?" Jean floated him easily and moved him toward the basement stairs. Scott turned Keli to face him, away from NTDH's retreating form. "Look, Keli. I know it sounds weird, but the short story is that he escaped from an alternate reality into this one. The first time he was here, he impersonated Hank and held him captive. He's - well, he's very, very bad, OK? Let's just leave it at that."

"I just - I can't imagine a bad Hank." Keli looked quite confused, so Scott put a steadying hand on her shoulder.

"I know. He's very different from our Hank. I just - maybe - maybe you should just wait and talk with Hank about it when he gets back. I'm sure he can make a lot more sense of it than I can." Scott smiled kindly, and Keli found herself agreeing. But the wait for Hank's return was not an easy one.

 

 

Hank, at that moment, was blissfully unaware that his alternate-reality self had made an assault on the mansion. He was following signs for I-278 East, with his image inducer still activated in case of a traffic stop, and thinking some very happy thoughts. Actually, he'd been doing a lot of thinking while he'd been gone.

At first, he was quite disappointed that exam week had prohibited Keli from joining him on the trip to San Francisco. And he *did* miss her quite a bit. But a little time apart gave him a chance to plan in detail what was to be the next important step in their relationship. Christmas was coming up, and Hank had decided to propose to Keli. It was the right time, he thought, and he was certain that he wanted to be married to her. He was even fairly certain that she wished to be married to him. But there was still the matter of actually *asking* her for her hand in marriage, and he wanted it to be the perfect proposal.

He'd already bought a ring. A one carat square cut diamond mounted on a thin, plain platinum band. He knew Keli didn't like gold and silver seemed somehow wrong for an engagement ring. Beyond knowing she never wore gold, Hank had no idea of her tastes in jewelry, but something about this particular ring just said 'Keli' to him. It was beautiful without being showy, classic and refined but not dull. Yes, it was definitely a 'Keli' ring.

The scenario he'd settled on in the end had a certain elegant simplicity to it as well. He'd considered a lavish dinner, perhaps another weekend at the Park Plaza, and even grand gestures of all sorts - skywriting, balloons, singing telegrams. As he thought through it though, all of those lacked the elements he felt she would most appreciate. It should be intimate, heartfelt, and sincere. At the end of the conference, he was decided - he would propose after they made love on Christmas Eve, in their bedroom. He'd kiss her on the forehead, get out of bed to retrieve the ring, then get down on one knee and simply ask her.

If she said yes, they could have as long or as short an engagement as she wished. Once she'd committed to marrying him, Hank would feel very secure. Keli was not the type of person to change her mind about a thing like that. And if she happened to say no, well, he would reaffirm his love for her and let her know that he wouldn't push, that he would wait until she was ready. Yes, that would be the right thing to do, Hank thought. Besides, she will say yes. Hank was almost certain of it.

As he turned into the mansion driveway, he noticed that something was amiss. There were lights on all over the house, even at this late hour. And unless he missed his guess, the air held just the faintest trace of the burnt smell that accompanies Scott's optic blasts. Hank's anxiety level increased a little at that, and he rapidly pulled the car into the garage. There's no alarm, he reminded himself, and if there was something really wrong, the alarm would still be going off.

He rushed through the back hall and into the kitchen where he found Storm sitting alone at the table, looking slightly frazzled. This was highly uncharacteristic for the weather-goddess, and his anxiety jumped a notch. "Hello. Is - is something amiss?"

"Oh, Hank - I am so pleased that you have returned. We have had some excitement here tonight." She rose from her seat and gave him a gentle hug, which made him even more hyper. Not that the hug was a bad thing, but, again, it was uncharacteristic. "Unfortunately, your double has returned."

"McCoy?!" That's what the Dark Beast, as Hank thought of him, had called himself the last time. "Here?!"

"Yes. He was attempting to break into the lab when one of the new sensors tripped an alarm. Scott, Jean, and myself went to investigate and caught him. He is downstairs in the holding cell now."

"Was anyone hurt?" Hank knew his counterpart to be ruthless, and quite violent.

"No, no. But, Hank. You may wish to speak with Keli. She came downstairs as we were subduing him. I would guess that she is more than a little confused. Scott asked her to return to her room and try to relax until you arrived."

"Thank you, Ororo," Hank called, already bounding up the stairs.

 

 

 

 

"Keli?"

"Hank?" She smiled when she saw him but didn't move from the bed to come over and greet him.

"Yes, it is I." He moved toward her, smiling to reassure her. "And not my evil twin."

"Whew. Oh, Hank, it's been a really weird night." She raised herself up from the bed to embrace him. "I'm glad you're back."

"As am I. I am sorry I wasn't here when my interloping doppleganger arrived." He held on to her, both to reassure her and because he'd missed being close to her like this.

"He looked just like you - except for the hair and the earring. He looked exactly like you."

"Yes," Hank agreed as he gently parted from her at last. "I should explain."

"Please - Scott said something about him being from a different reality and that he was bad and dangerous. What - what's going on? Is that right?"

"I'm afraid so. He did originate in another dimension, another reality. And he is very dangerous. You see, in his world, he was a mad scientist of sorts, a geneticist run amok. He performed all sorts of experiments on mutants, bred them for his bosses, and, well, no need to go into detail. Suffice to say that he is indeed quite unpleasant." Hank didn't want to scare her with the specifics. This was probably quite scary enough for her.

"Is he - is he really you? I mean, you in a different world?" Hank didn't quite know how to answer that, and he paused, thinking. "It's just that I can't really imagine you ever turning out bad, no matter what kind of world it was. You're - you're you." While Hank was touched by her sentiments, he also sensed that this was deeply confusing for her and that worried him. He didn't want her perceptions of him, her feelings for him to change because of McCoy.

"I suppose that he is what I might have been in the worst possible scenario. Without good parents, without friends, without any moral compass. I admit that I do not like to think that I could possibly have turned out so poorly myself." Keli reached for his hand and held it. "But, I must caution you - do not be fooled by his appearance or his..similarities to me. He is violent, dangerous, and without a conscience. He will harm you if he has a chance, and perhaps especially if he realizes that you are close to me. The last time he was here, he viciously attacked several of my friends. I must urge you to use the utmost caution."

Keli nodded. "I'm not really planning on going anywhere near him."

"Good." Hank relaxed a little at that. "Do you have any other questions?"

"Well, I don't really understand what the whole alternate reality thing is, but I'm not so sure I want to know."

"Well, you see - "

"Hank," she interrupted softly. "You can explain it later, OK? I haven't even kissed you hello." Her eyes became soft and as she reached for him, and all thoughts of McCoy soon vanished from both their minds.

 

 

"Hank?" Keli sleepily called to him as she rolled over in bed. Noticing that it was quite light out and that he was not in the bed, she guessed that he'd already woken and gone down to the lab. When she took a look at the clock and it read 10:26, she decided she'd better get her butt out of bed if she still wanted any breakfast. She put on some pajamas and quickly brushed her teeth. As she knelt down to retreive her slippers from beneath the bed, she heard the door open. "Hank?" she called again, receiving no answer. Just as her hand closed around the second slipper, just as she prepared to rise and turn, she felt a sharp blow to the back of her head. Everything went black, and then she felt nothing at all.

 

 

Keli sat up slowly, still unable to focus her vision enough to assess her surroundings. Her head hurt like hell. Closing her eyes for a second, she concentrated on letting the spinning-tea-cup ride that was now her sense of equilibrium come to a slow stop. When it felt like she might not throw up everywhere if she opened her eyes again, she took a look around. Medlab - she thought. I'm in the medlab.

She stood up, or tried to, and immediately regretted it. Whatever equilibrium had been restored in her head immediately evaporated, and she soon found herself sitting on the floor, holding her head with both hands. After a few minutes, a familiar voice broke through her whirling brain. "Well, it seems our little flatscan has regained consciousness."

She looked up, expecting to find Hank, and she did, but not the right Hank. This was McCoy - and that meant trouble. He must've escaped somehow, she thought, but why had he stayed here? Why had he taken her to the medlab? And where was everybody? Why hadn't anyone realized this had happened? She looked to Hank - no, McCoy, she thought, have to keep them separate. He had a hard look in his eyes.

"Well, can it talk?" McCoy inquired, she guessed of her.

"Yes," she said softly. "Uh, my name is Keli."

McCoy laughed. "I don't care what your name is." He laughed again, and Keli didn't like the sound.

Keli didn't know how to respond, and, frankly, she was pretty scared at the moment. She struggled to her feet, finally able to stand. Maybe I should at least get a better look at this guy, she thought. He stared at her as she stared at him. There were more differences than she'd originally noticed. He was bigger than Hank, a little, and had more prominent fangs and claws. She noticed he was scoping her out as well, and that made her even uneasier.

"Wh-what's going on?" She didn't really expect an answer; she'd said it mostly to break the staring contest.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" he retorted. "Unfortunately for you, I get to ask all the questions here."

"We're in the medlab, right?" McCoy glared at her angrily. She scrambled to think of something to say that wasn't in the form of a question. "I'm assuming you brought me down here for a reason."

"You are the other one's - what's the word for it? Ah, yes, girlfriend?" Keli didn't know how to answer, so she stayed quiet. "He actually believes you care for him, does he not?" McCoy chuckled. "Fool. But I suppose that particular delusion will cause him to do as I ask, lest I harm you."

"You want something from him, don't you? That's why you broke in. You - you want something from the medlab, don't you?" It suddenly occurred to her that he'd been working on the computer intermittently while talking to her. A file, she thought, or some kind of information. That's what he wants. And he can't figure out how to get it without Hank's help. Oh God, she thought with growing dread, he's going to try to use me against Hank. He's going to threaten me to make Hank give him what he wants.

"You are as stupid as you are unattractive. I've told you once that I ask the questions here. Do not make me repeat myself again." McCoy bared his fangs for good measure. "In any case, I do not expect to have to suffer your company much longer. I informed them that if they do not do as I ask, I shall start sending you out in parts. Personally, I think we should begin with fingers, what do you say?" He chuckled a little and turned back to the computer.

Keli took a deep breath and tried to steady herself. Pushing her fear back and consciously trying to breathe more deeply, more evenly, she replied, "Toes."

"What?" McCoy spoke offhandedly, grimacing at the computer.

"I said 'toes'." He looked to her at that. If he was surprised at her sudden composure or her answer, he didn't show it. "I'd prefer toes rather than fingers. Easier to do without."

"Perhaps you are not entirely brain dead. Perhaps one or two pitiful cells are still functional."

"Tell me." Keli wanted to engage him, to try to find something, some bit of information or weakness she could use against him. She wasn't tied up or restrained, but she knew Hank's abilities well. His speed and agility were unmatched, and she knew she'd never reach the door if she tried to make a run for it. She also knew Hank was smart - McCoy seemed so as well. Neither would fall for a cheap distraction or some trick. Neither could be outsmarted. She had to think of something else. "What was it like in your reality? The one you came from?" McCoy looked at her disbelievingly and more than a little suspiciously. "I'm curious."

"I doubt you would find it pleasant," he grinned savagely. "Your kind are, well, slaves, or dead, to be blunt. Some served my experiments." Seeming to catch himself, he abruptly turned back to the computer. Just the way he had said that made her skin crawl. She knew now, deep in her gut, that Hank's assessment of him was correct - violent, dangerous, without a conscience entirely.

"He won't give you what you want. Even if you do hurt me, even if you do start sending me out in parts."

"Perhaps he realizes that you don't love him, then? That he is a freak, a monster. Isn't that what you think, deep down, flatscan?"

Keli's eyes narrowed. "He's a good man. He won't put lives at risk, he won't help you hurt other people, even if it means my life. Surely you know this."

"I know that he is irrational when he believes his friends may come to harm, and I would surmise especially so when it is his............whatever you are. He will do as I ask." McCoy bared his fangs once more and turned back to his work.

 

 

"We can't give him the files, Hank. You, better than anyone else, you know what he'd do with those files. Viruses, DNA alterations to force mutations - Hank, you know we can't give him the files."

"But, Scott - "

"I know you're worried about Keli. I understand. And we're working on breaking through the security door now. I don't know how he escaped, but I swear I will personally guard him myself every single second once we get him back in that cell."

"Scott, he threatened to send her up in pieces. He gave us one hour. There is only fifteen minutes left."

"I know, Hank, and we're working as fast as we can. I understand that you're worried, I do. I know how I'd feel if it were Jean."

"You do not understand. It is - Keli is not an x-man. She did not undertake the same risks that you and I and Jean have. She is an innocent in all this, Scott, and I - "

"Scott! I think we might have something!"

"Coming, Jean!"

"I can't lose her, Scott. I can't."

 

 

"Why do you keep saying I don't love Hank? Why do you think that's so impossible?" Hank turned on her angrily. She'd been talking to him, and he had been pointedly not responding for the past few minutes. This subject was one he was particularly averse to discussing.

"Because he looks like a monster to you. You must want something from him - money, knowledge, something."

"Nope. I just want to love him and be with him and - " Her entirely reasonable explanation was cut off by a punch to the face that sent her sprawling across the lab and clunking into the far concrete wall. Somewhere, as she struggled to maintain consciousness, she thought she heard McCoy yelling. She couldn't make out what it was, but he was unmistakably enraged. She realized that she couldn't see quite right, but she couldn't clear her head enough to analyze the problem any further at the moment. Some distant part of her mind was occupied with avidly protesting the reality of the fact that *any* Hank would strike her. She heard the volume of McCoy's tirade increase, and she surmised that meant he was coming toward her. She tried to steady herself for another blow and started processing the words he was screaming.

"That's not possible! Liar!"

"No," Keli argued, her brain still occupied with trying to figure out what was wrong with her vision. Her eye wasn't swollen shut, not yet. She didn't think he'd actually knocked her eyeball out..

"Do you expect me to believe - what? That you have some genuine feelings for him?" McCoy continued at top volume.

"Yes." She blinked both eyes a couple times, no improvement. "What's-what's wrong with my vision? Something's not right."

"I don't care! You will tell me, you will tell me right now, what you are using him for!" His voice dropped to a low growl. "And then I will make certain that you regret ever polluting my life with your presence."

"What's wrong with you?" She finally let out some of her fear, and anger, not really caring what he would do. "What the hell happened to you, Hank?" He flinched at the use of that name. "You're not like this at all here. You're a kind, gentle man. A loving partner. A caring friend. A good man - "

"I'm not a man," he spat, "I'm a freak, a mutant. Isn't that right, flatscan?"

"I have a name. It's Keli."

He looked ready to burst, and he grabbed her in a choke-hold around her throat. "Your name is what I say it is. You are my property! You will answer my questions, and then I will dispose of you as I see fit. You will - " McCoy was cut off by a red optic blast that struck his head. He fell immediately, yellow eyes filled with rage still trained on Keli.

Hank was right behind Scott, and he seemed to instantaneously move to Keli's side. She looked to him, tears forming in her eyes, especially the one swelling shut. He gently cupped her face with one large hand. There were tears in his eyes as well. "Are you all right?" he asked breathlessly.

She nodded a little, then said, "I think something's wrong with my vision. This eye - " Before she could finish, Hank had gingerly scooped her up in his arms, careful of the arm that McCoy had hurt when he'd punched her back into the concrete wall. He set her down on the examination table. Scott, Jean, and Storm worked busily to secure McCoy and began dragging him out of the room.

"Stay still," Hank instructed as he located the physician's light and shone it into her eyes. He grimaced at what he saw, making Keli almost afraid to ask.

"Hank?"

"Did he strike you?" Hank was frowning in earnest now.

"Yes, on the side of the head, pretty hard. Hard enough to hit the back wall." Keli was really starting to worry now.

"I'm so sorry, but he hit you hard enough to blow out the pupil in your right eye. I can't - I'm afraid I cannot repair the damage. I - I..............." Hank heaved a sob and Keli took one of his hands in hers.

"Hank?"

"I'm so sorry. Your - your vision in that eye won't - I'm sorry." He sobbed again and Keli moved to embrace him.

"It's all right. It's - it's not your fault, Hank, really. I'm going to be all right." She squeezed him tightly to her.

"I'm so sorry." That was all he could say, and he knew it wasn't enough.

 

 

Later that night, as Keli slept in their bed, Hank took out the engagement ring he'd bought for her. Turning it over in his furry, clawed fingers, he smiled bitterly. I actually was sure I could have something with her, he thought. I actually thought we would live happily ever after. But today, he mused as he sat at the foot of the bed, today I could've gotten her killed. And she *was* hurt because of me. Badly. She'll never have normal vision in her right eye. She has a concussion. She barely missed being hacked to pieces by *me,* by some twisted version of me. There must be some integral flaw, Hank mused, that permitted some version of me to degenerate into that, to become someone who hurt her instead of loving her. I have to tell her in the morning, he thought, I have to tell her in the morning that we can't be together, that I can't get her hurt again.

Hank started as he felt her hands on his back. He quickly concealed the ring in his fist. "I thought you were sleeping." he said without turning to face her. She didn't reply, but he felt her press a soft kiss to the back of his head, then his neck. "Are you - are you feeling all right?"

She shifted to place herself in his lap, and he brought his hand, the one holding the ring, across her back to support her. She looked at him lovingly, and stroked his face with the back of her uninjured hand. "I'm just fine." She caressed his cheek, his brow, and lingered at his ear. He closed his eyes at that, and soaked up her touch, knowing it could be the last. "I wanted to tell you something," she whispered.

"Of course." Hank kept his eyes closed. Maybe she knows it too, he thought, maybe she knows that we can't have this. He braced himself for the words.

"I love you so very much." She kept stroking him, very gently and very sensually.

"Keli, I - I - "

"Shh. I know what you're thinking, Hank, I do. You're upset with yourself because of what happened. You're probably thinking it's your fault somehow. It's not, you know. He's not you."

"But he is - he *is* me, just under different circumstances, in a different situation. It is because of who I fundamentally am that - "

"Let me tell you a thing or two about who you fundamentally are, Hank. You're the best person I've ever met. And I mean that in every way. He's - maybe he started out as you, but he chose his path. He chose his life. He chose who he is now. You chose differently."

"It's more than that, Keli. I cannot - I cannot allow you to be hurt. This life I've chosen is a highly dangerous one. I have no right to place you in jeopardy." Tears pooled in Hank's eyes, adn he didn't fight them. "I love you so much, but - but I can't - "

She silenced him with a soft kiss. "You are everything to me, Hank. Don't let this - I don't want this to take you away from me. Please." She kissed him again and Hank unconsciously opened his hand against her back. She reached around behind her when she was finished kissing him. She'd felt something small and hard and pointy. "Hank?" He was still floating in the aftermath of the kiss and didn't quite realize that she'd taken the ring from his hands. "What's this?" She brought it around her body and raised it up between them.

"It's a - a ring." He reached out for her a little, resting a hand on her waist.

"Hmm. It's a diamond, isn't it?" She turned it over in the fingers of her injured hand. Hank gently caressed her bruised cheek,drawing a smile from her. "It's beautiful."

"Just like you, my love," he whispered. All of a sudden, he almost couldn't remember his worries, his sorrow. All he could think or feel was how close she was, how right she felt next to him. "I bought it for you. I was going to ask you to marry me, actually." It was far from the romantic proposal he'd planned; in fact, it wasn't a proposal at all.

"And now?" She turned serious eyes to meet his still-teary ones. "Hank?"

"I cannot ask you - I cannot ask you to share a dangerous life with me." He hung his head low and couldn't keep her gaze. "And I cannot ask you to leave. I am not - I am in love with you and I want to stay in love with you, I want to have the chance to love you. I wish I could ask you to leave, it would be the *right* thing."

"Oh no, it would be the *noble* thing. It would definitely be the noble thing for your to do. But that's not always the same as the right thing." She pinched the ring between two bruised fingers and held it up to eye-level. She paused for a moment, looking at the sparkling gem. "Can I put it on?" Hank nodded absently. Keli slid it on the ring finger of her left hand. "I'd like to share your life, however it is, dangerous or not. I'd like to build a life together. What do you think? Want to marry me?"

Hank took a long, shuddering breath. "Yes. Yes, I do." Keli smiled brilliantly at that, and Hank raised her hand to his mouth for a kiss. He wasn't sure he'd done the right thing, not at all. His brain was against it - all logic and reason was against it. But his heart wanted it. His heart wanted it badly.

"Come to bed with me, Hank. Come to bed with me." He kissed her once, tenderly, then complied.