Pick Your Poison - Chapter Five


Title: Pick Your Poison
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG-13 with lots of Logan swearing this time
Disclaimer: I only own the kids - Zach, Mary, Jason, Joan and Randy - the rest aren't mine, and even those last two I do own were named in tribute to this week's Buffy episode, Tabula Rasa.  'Don't mess with Joan the Vampire Slayer!'/ 'Why didn't you just name me Horny Giles?'  Heh.
Archive: WRFA, Mutual Admiration, Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - all others, please ask :)
Feedback: Please? And I'll tell you, I could really use some non-toasty fb this week.  Usually all varieties are welcome, but I've taken quite a beating from RL and online crankiness and I've reached my quota of being nice to people who are just too wacky for belief.  Flamers can resume their toasting with the next fic....
Summary: Sequel to chapter four.  We get to hear what the kids think about this, and Scott and Storm get some orders from Xavier.
Comments: By now you should know I couldn't resist my HankMuse's pleas to be let in on the fic, so he has a meaty part here ;) Besides, one reader sent me a recipe for Death By Twinkies, which I've hidden from Hank.  I feel kind of guilty, but it's for his own good ;)




Zach headed for the kitchen, still thinking about Miss Marie.  He remembered the first day he'd met her - it was in a dingy bar where he'd been practically living out of the filthy restroom and occasionally selling himself to the customers for a little money to buy food.  When he saw her the first thing he thought was - clean.  In the next second he noticed she was beautiful and before another second could pass, he'd seen Mr. Logan come up behind her. 

He soon came to know them both, and care for them both, a great deal.  He was the second kid they'd taken in, and he'd only been fifteen when they found him.  When he arrived, in the 'early days' as he referred to them around the other kids, there was only Jason living in the house along with Logan and Marie.  Jason and Logan seemed to butt heads constantly, and Zach simply laid low at first, waiting to see what he'd really gotten himself into.  That's when he really bonded with Marie.  She never talked to him, of course, but she smiled at him a lot, cooked food for all of them, was always there to listen.  He found himself telling her things he'd never told another living soul and crying on her shoulder more than once. 

"Hey."  Zach turned at the greeting - it was Mary, the kid they'd just brought in.  "I, uh, Hank said I could grab something from the fridge if I wanted." 

"Sure," Zach reassured her.  "I was just going to get some breakfast myself.  They brought you in yesterday, right?" Mary nodded, a little shyly.  "Welcome aboard.  It's kind of a weird place, but good weird.  Want some cereal?  We've got Fruit Loops."  Zach shook the box a little for enticement as he brought it out of the cupboard.

"Thanks."  Mary seated herself at the table while Zach grabbed milk, bowls, and spoons.  "It - it seems nice here so far.  You know, nicer than the road."

"I hear you," Zach assured.  "It is nice, and everybody's you know, OK.  Hank - he's a good guy, and Mr. Logan and Miss Marie, they're really great people."

"Logan  - uh, Mr. Logan said that Marie doesn't talk."  Mary had already heard part of Marie's story one the way here, but she had been on the road long enough to know that you can't believe everything you hear, even if it comes from people who seem to he helping you out at the moment.

"Yeah.  I don't really know what happened," Zach offered, anticipating her next question.  "Something bad happened, that's for sure.  Hank said that she's physically OK, and one day she might talk."

"I hope so.  She - she seems really nice."

"She is," Zach assured as he poured the milk.  "If you need to talk something out, she's a great listener.  And not, you know, just because of the no talking thing.  She's really been there for all of us."

"How many people live here?  I - I saw two other kids last night, one with bright purple hair......"

"Oh yeah, that's Joan.  She's been here a few months.  She's psychic - not like a telepath that can read minds, more like one of those people that can see into the future.  Problem is, she can only see, like an hour or so into the future.  Hank's working on it with her."  Zach began chowing down, tucking into the mountain of cereal he'd fixed for himself.

"And that mutation made her hair purple too?"

"Uh, no.  She dyed it.  She just likes it that way."  Mary and Zach shared a smile across the table.  "Who was the other kid you saw?"

"Tall, big, short blonde hair......."

"Randy," Zach declared between bites.  "He can fly.  Kind of.  He's still working on navigating once he gets up there and, well, his other mutation is super-indestructibility or something and let's just say it really comes in handy on the landings."

Mary laughed at that, more than a little relieved that she wasn't the only one not in complete control of her mutation.  They ate in companionable silence for a few moments before Mary asked, "Who else is here?"

"Oh.  Four other kids - they're the older ones, though, and they have jobs and stuff.  They're mostly in and out.  I'm sure you'll meet them all soon.  They're all real nice."

"Zach," Mary stopped eating and leaned across the table a little, adopting a serious expression, "Those two people who were here this morning, who were they, really?"

"Dunno," Zach answered, doing an unintentional Logan imitation, "but I think they were involved in whatever happened to Miss Marie.  I think they could be trouble."

That wasn't any new information - Logan had already explained a little about the strangers - but it did seem to confirm Logan's story.  Mary shivered a little at that.  "They almost got to me first.  I - I met Logan and Marie just a few minutes before they came into the bar I was at.  I think they wanted to take me with them."

Zach cast a dark look toward the door, almost as though he could will it to travel up to the woman he knew was still flying above.  "Don't worry.  Mr. Logan's pretty tough.  He sticks up for all of us.  He won't let them grab you if you don't want to go." 

"I don't want to cause any trouble," Mary offered, putting her spoon down.  "I mean, it was really nice of them to take me in and - and help me a little, you know?"

"Yeah, I do know."  Zach remembered feeling very much like that when he first arrived.  "But believe me, we've all been at least a little trouble.  They're not going to kick you out or anything.  They really do want to help kids like us."  Zach paused a little before continuing.  Deciding he could trust Mary, at least a little, he went on, "I think that Miss Marie was on her own, you know, before she met Mr. Logan.  I think he probably got her out of a pretty bad situation.  Whatever happened to her before, well, I think he got her out of it.  I get the feeling that he kinda does all this because - because of how much he loves Miss Marie.  It's his way of honoring her or doing something to make her happy.  He's not going to get mad if you're a little trouble or if you need help or something.  I know - with a lot of us, that's how it was with family and friends, they bailed when the mutation hit.  But Mr. Logan and Miss Marie - I don't think they'd ever bail on us like that."  Mary gave a small smile, which Zach returned.  He hoped he'd made her feel at least a little better. 

"Thanks," she offered, turning her attention back to her cereal.





Scott and Storm sat in their rented SUV, awaiting a call from the Professor.  They'd briefed him on the situation after Scott had returned, including what Hank had said.  Both x-men wanted to stay in Canada and continue to try to make contact with Rogue.  The Professor seemed to be against it, arguing that their attempts to do so could cause more harm than good.   However, he did seem interested in finding out more about what Logan had been up to, why he was sheltering mutant children.  Xavier had asked for a few moments to consider the problem before responding.

"If we stay, we will have to be very careful," Storm ventured.  "We cannot jeopardize Rogue's progress."

"I don't think we will.  'Ro, I still just don't buy that she's so afraid of us.  I don't understand it.  Logan had to have - "

Storm laid a calming hand on Scott's arm.  "She appeared frightened in the bar.  Whatever the cause, we must proceed carefully."

"You're right.  I just - I don't want to see her hurt any more, 'Ro.  She's been through so much already."  Scott looked to his partner with worried eyes.  "I hate that we failed her."

"We did all we could.  I am sure that somewhere, Rogue remembers and understands that."  Storm wasn't so sure she believed the words herself, but she knew that Scott needed to hear them. 

"What if she doesn't?"  Scott turned a worried expression on her.   "What if all she remembers is being confused, being in pain when she was with us?  'Ro, I - I don't know what to do.  I promised her I'd protect her and then - then Sabretooth got her and we couldn't - she was never right after that.  What if that's what she's thinking - they promised to protect me, but they didn't?  What if what Hank says is right and she's in there thinking - they just messed me all up?"

"We did not know. If we had - "

"I know, I know."  Scott turned sullen, dropping his head.  "I guess we'll just wait to hear what the Professor wants us to do."  Storm sank back into her seat, resigned.  She knew Scott's moods well, and knew there would be no more discussion until they received their orders.





Logan had put Marie in bed, hoping she'd take a nap and catch up on some of the sleep she missed this morning.  It was now coming up on noon, and she still hadn't slept.  He knew she was probably was still in bed just to humor him.  They'd talked on and off, but Marie still hadn't said much, not more than a whispered word at a time.  After Logan spotted Storm coming in for a landing and heading to her car, he'd climbed in bed with Marie.   Now, they lay on their sides, facing each other. 

"Ya know, I bet they're gonna wait to hear what Xavier hasta say.  Scooter never could make a damn decision on his own."  Marie frowned at that.  "Don't matter what Chuck says.  There's no way they're gonna get to ya.  No way.  And there's always the off chance that Chuck'll show some damn common sense for once and call 'em back to Westchester.  Might just turn up to be a whole lotta nothin'."  Marie nodded a little, trying to smile and be brave.  Logan loved her for that.  He knew she was still scared, very scared.  She was still wrapped up in the blanket she'd pulled around herself in the closet.  She didn't want to let it go. 

"I'll tell ya one thing, it's lookin' like rain out there.  Wonder if that's 'Ro's doin'," Logan mused as he stared over Marie's shoulder and out the window at the gathering clouds.  "She don't usually piss me off, but today, now."  Logan trailed off in favor of caressing Marie's cheek a little.  That brought a warm smile to her face.  "Wish you coulda gotten a little sleep, darlin'.  You got a real rude awakening this mornin'."  Marie made a somewhat comical shrug that got the intended chuckle out of him.  They smiled together for a moment before he turned serious.  "I just wantcha to know, if you feel like talkin' now, it's gonna be OK.  If you still kinda don't feel like it or aren't too sure, that's OK too.  Just so ya know that I love you and whatever you wanna do is fine by me."

Marie took a deep breath and Logan continued to touch her gently.  After a few moments, she gathered herself and said, "Love you too."  Her eyes got wide and she looked fairly shaky after the words were out, but Logan smiled broadly.  He gave her a long look, then a quick kiss on the lips, just long enough to taste her but quick enough so that her powers didn't have a chance to kick in. 

"Aw, I love it when you talk to me, darlin'," he purred as he nuzzled her neck, protected by her hair.   "'Specially when you say that."  He drew her body to him, laying her on top of his chest.  As he pressed her close, he could feel her heart racing.  He held her there, caressing her how he knew she liked, hoping to ease her fears.  Just when he thought she might finally be calming, he heard another knock on the door.  Inwardly cursing Scott for not having the politeness to knock so that Marie wouldn't have to hear it on top of having horrible timing, he just clutched her a little closer and ignored the knock.  "Hank's gonna get it.  It's probably them.  Hank's takin' care of it.  I'm just gonna keep you right close to me."  He felt her head shift and guessed that her eyes had probably darted to the closet.  "It's OK, darlin'.  It's OK."






"Yes?" A tired-looking Hank met Scott and Storm at the door.

"We have a favor to ask you," Scott began.  Hank raised one blue eyebrow at that.  "We'd like to - we'd like copies of whatever data you have on mutatol to take back with us."

"If you provide me with a fax number or e-mail address, I will be pleased to send you copies of all the documentation I have gathered."  Hank wasn't about to let them get a foot in the door under that pretext.  There were many ways that he could share that information with them that wouldn't involve them entering the house. 

"Actually, we'd also like to ask another favor."  Hank let out a put-upon sigh.  "We'd like to talk to Logan.  Just Logan, privately.  We'll - we'll stay clear of Rogue, we promise."

Hank affected an open expression and began in a polite tone.  "Ah, well since you promise, then, please do - no.  No wait, that's right - now I recall.  I'm not inclined to take your word on anything Mr. Summers.  That is perhaps the oldest trick in the book."  Hank crossed his thick, furry arms across his chest to emphasize his point.

Scott and Storm exchanged glances.  Storm decided to try to field that one.  "We will be happy to meet at a time and place of Logan's choosing.  Please, we are on the level.  We want to talk with him about Rogue and - and about the children you have here."  That caught Hank's attention.  He was very, very protective of the children - he wagered it was as close to being a father as he was likely to come, and he didn't like the interest the x-men suddenly had in them.  Storm must've caught some of Hank's reaction, because she added, "We only wish to learn more about them, that is all.  As Logan might have told you, we work for a man who is much interested in helping mutants, especially children.  Perhaps there is some way we can work together."

"Perhaps there is some way to make you understand that you are unwelcome here," Hank retorted, immediately cursing himself for his lapse in civility.  He just felt exhausted by his earlier dealings with the x-men.  Gathering his composure a little, he said, "I will pass along your request to Logan.  Remain on the porch."  Hank closed the door on them, pausing to lean back against it before heading for Logan's room. 

"Everything OK?"  Zach inquired, poking his head out into the hall.

"No," Hank answered truthfully.  "Watch the door, please."  Hank saw Mary peeking out a little from behind Zach.  "Mary, would you mind keeping an eye on our 'guests' through the dining room window?"

"No, but - but what do I do if they try something?  I - I can't control my mutation."

"That is all right.  Just yell out a warning, and one of us will be right there.  You shall be fine."  Hank gave her a reassuring look before heading off to speak with Logan.  Pausing just outside the bedroom door, Hank whispered, "Logan, it is Hank.  May I come in?"

A moment later, Logan appeared at the door.  Hank saw Marie dart for the closet behind him.  "Won't get lost, huh?"

"Apparently not.  They have requested information on mutatol, which I will share with them via e- mail or fax, but they have also requested to speak with you.  Logan - they have expressed some interest in learning about the children and I am - I am concerned." 

"Probably just them bein' nosy.  Goddamn do-gooders can't stay outta other people's business."  Logan put a hand to his chin, obviously thinking things over.  "They wanna come in here?"

"They said they would meet you at a time and place of your choosing."  Logan digested that for a while. 

"Anybody in the barn?"  Jason bunked there occasionally, in the loft, but he was out on the road.

"I don't believe so.  I could send one of the kids to clear it, just in case.  Are you - you're thinking of meeting with them here?"

Logan nodded slowly.  "Home turf.  I want Zach in the loft before we go in, and Randy hidin' in back.  Give 'em both weapons.  They've been taught how to use 'em.  You stay with Marie.  Get the assault rifle and keep the safety off.  They try anythin', you shoot first and ask questions later, got it?"  Hank solemnly nodded.  "Tell 'em I'll be out to escort 'em to where I wanna go in a coupla minutes, then get everybody ready."

"What about the girls, Mary and Joan?" 

Logan shook his head no.  "They'll go for Marie first.  You stick with her.  Tell the girls what's goin' on.  Tell 'em to run into the woods and not to look back if the shit really hits the fan.  Make it harder for 'Ro to find 'em from the air if they're in the forest."

"Got it," Hank confirmed. 

"Gimme a coupla minutes with Marie, and then I'll be right out."  Hank nodded, preparing himself for the worst.






Scott and Storm sat on the front porch swing, not still but not really swinging either.  "What do you think he will do?" Storm queried. 

"He'll meet with us."

"How can you be so certain?"  Storm tilted her body to face Scott a little more squarely and as she did, she caught sight of a girl behind the bay window curtains, watching them from inside.  Upon seeing Storm seeing her, the girl darted back out of view. 

"He wants to get rid of us.  He'll think this might be the way to do that."

"We have our orders," Storm cautioned.  "We are not to push a confrontation if Logan once again denies us the opportunity to see Rogue."

"Uh-huh," Scott answered absently. 

"Scott - "

"I know what our orders are, and I'll follow them, 'Ro.  I don't have to like them on top of all that."

Just then, the door opened, revealing Hank's large blue form.  "Logan will meet with you.  He will be out in a moment to escort you to where he would like to converse.  Please make yourself comfortable on the porch swing."  Hank swung the door back shut before either x-man could get a word in. 

"Told you," Scott said.







"Follow me," Logan said gruffly as he stepped out on the porch a few minutes later, not sparing a backwards glance as he strode quickly behind the house and toward the barn.  The rain was definitely coming, he thought, he could smell it on the wind. 

"Where are we going?" Storm asked from somewhere behind him.  Logan didn't answer.  When he reached the barn door, he swung it open, gesturing for them both to go inside.  Zach was in the hayloft - he could smell him clearly up there - and Randy was well-hidden in the back.  Neither x- man would sense them, Logan knew.  Logan closed the door behind them all, and finally turned to face Scott and Storm.  He said nothing, he simply waited expectantly and with no small amount of visible irritation.  Finally, Scott broke the silence.

"What the hell is all this, Logan?  What exactly is going on here?"  Scott heard a low growl by way of reply.  "The kids, Rogue - do you think you can just hide out in the Canadian forests and - "  Scott never quite saw Logan move, he only felt something suddenly collide with his jaw, knocking him off his feet.  His hand instinctively went to his visor.   Logan loomed above him, teeth bared and snarling. 

"Whaddya want with her, Scooter?  Huh?  Ain't you done enough to hurt her?  You get off on seein' her all fucked up or somethin'?  I'm outta fuckin' patience with you, asshole.  I don't care what Wheels toldya to do, I want both your asses outta here in the next five fuckin' minutes."  Logan stalked away from Scott, making a visual and olfactory check on Randy and Zach to be sure they were still in position.  He felt proud that they hadn't panicked at the first blow or at Scott reaching for the visor.  He'd taught them well. 

"Logan," Storm reprimanded, "that was uncalled for."

"Yeah?"  Logan made a predatory stalk toward her while Scott regained his feet.  "Lemme tell ya what's uncalled for - lockin' Rogue up in some cage, treatin' her like an animal, not a person.  I happen to know how that feels, and I can tell ya, it ain't too fuckin' nice."  His eyes narrowed on hers and held them.

"We did not mean to harm her," Storm argued, standing her ground.

"You thought lockin' her up was gonna do her some good?"  Logan snarled, coming almost nose- to-nose with Storm.  She could feel his breath on her face and for some reason, she found herself unable to move or look away from his predatory stare.  She did manage to summon her voice after a second or two.

"We thought it would protect the others from her violent behavior.  It was the only way."

"That's a load of shit, and you know it."  Logan looked for a moment as though he might strike Storm as he had Scott, but only he cracked his neck back and forth and took a step back from her.  "Whaddya think you're doin' now?  Helpin' her?"

"We want to make sure she's all right.  God only knows what you've done with her."  Scott had moved to place Logan between himself and Storm.  Logan was seemingly unconcerned.  "Is that what you get off on?  Playing with a helpless little girl?  Making her do whatever you want?" 

"Scott," Storm hissed warningly, but Logan's bearing didn't change. 

"We want to know what's going on with her, Logan, and who all these kids are.  We want to know what you're doing out here."

Logan's lips twisted into a feral smile.  "Get offa my property and leave us the hell alone.  I don't owe you any fuckin' answers and I've been about as generous to you as it's gonna get, a helluva lot more generous than you deserve."  Logan twitched his arms, and both sets of claws emerged.  "I'm done talkin'.  You goin' or am I makin' ya go?"  The maniac smile on his face left little doubt as to which option he'd prefer.

"Xavier wants answers," Scott replied, not backing down one bit.

"He ain't gettin' 'em."  A little drool was forming at the corner of Logan's mouth.  Storm caught that - he was literally salivating at the chance to use the claws on Scott, on them both.  She couldn't remember seeing him this savage before, not even when he stabbed himself in the chest in an attempt to help Rogue, that night on top of the Statue of Liberty.

"We will go," Storm said quietly, taking Scott by the arm and attempting to back him out of the barn with her.  Scott wasn't budging.  "Scott," Storm pled insistently, "we have our orders." 

"This isn't over," Scott warned, "Not by a long shot."  Logan watched as they finally turned and left, stalking to the open door to make sure they both got in the car.  After a few moments, he heard rustling behind him.  He knew it was Zach and Randy.  He knew he should rein himself in and give them some words of thanks or encouragement.  He knew they'd never seen him truly angry or upset before.  He still couldn't stop his anger from emerging, though, and he suddenly turned and attacked the large, old chopping block, just a few feet away from the boys.  He growled and snarled and shredded it with his claws until there were only splinters left.  He was still panting quite a bit when he finally lifted his head to face a shocked Zach and Randy.  Logan didn't much like explaining himself, but he knew he had to say something to the boys.

"That's - that's what those bastards deserve.  That's what they deserve for what they did to Marie.  I don't have a problem with killin' 'em.  Not at all.  But if I did, it'd just bring more shit down on all of us.  I don't wanna put you kids or Marie in danger if I don't hafta, and the price of that is not gettin' to gut those fuckers like I wanna.  Understand?"  Both boys nodded, their fear fading a little.  It occurred to Logan in a rush of thought that he'd taught them many things, and perhaps this was another opportunity for a lesson.  He took a deep breath, steadied himself, and retracted the claws. 

"You wanna know somethin'?  They ain't such bad people.  Nah, they ain't the bad guys.  They got all the good fuckin' intentions in the world.  Problem is, they don't really give a shit 'bout anythin' else but their own good intentions.  Other people get in the way of that, well, then they're just fucked.  Now if you wanna believe that, that good intentions are all that matter, you can go right ahead.  But before ya decide on that, take a good look at Marie.  That's what gets lost in the shuffle of all their good intentions, the actual results of what they do.  Marie, she started out a beautiful, perfect person and she's still hurtin' today 'cause they couldn't take their goddamn heads outta their asses long enough to give her a second thought."  Logan paused for a moment, letting his words sink in.  "You gotta decide for yourselves how you live your lives.  You're pretty much grown men now, both of ya.  I can't tell ya what to do.  Shit, I wouldn't even wanna try.  But I do wanna tell ya what I think is right, what I think is true.  Maybe save ya some trouble down the line.  What you do with that, that's up to you."  The boys nodded and exchanged a solemn look.  Logan eased noticeably.  "You both did real good today.  I'm proud of ya both.  I knew you had my back.  Never doubted that for a second.  You did real good."

"We'd do whatever it takes to protect Miss Marie," Zach replied.  "You two are the only family any of us have."  Randy nodded. 

"I know," Logan replied.  He gazed upon both boys for a moment, then gestured at the door with his head.  "Go on in and tell Hank what happened.  I'll be along in a minute.  Tell Marie I'll be right there."

Zach and Randy followed Logan's instructions.  Neither were quite surprised to hear the sounds of snarling and destruction begin again as soon as they'd shut the barn door.




Soooo...........Pick Your Poison:

1) Logan talks with Marie, and Hank, about all that has happened.
2) Zach and Mary get acquainted.
3) We get a peek at what the Professor and the other mansion residents think about all this.

And the big winner was #3....NEXT

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives