Never Pick Up a Hitchhiker

Title:  Rule Number One:  Never Pick Up a Hitchhiker
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG-13
Disclaimer:  I don't own anyone.  Boo-hoo.
Archive:  Ask, and I'll say yes.
Feedback:  Please!  Pretty please?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.
Summary:  Rogue picks up a hitchhiker as they both travel from Toronto to Yellowknife.
Comments:  To paraphrase Rogue in this story - yes, I have lost my mind.  If this looks like the first story of (yet another) series, that's because it is (or could be - I haven't really decided for sure yet).  This was written ages ago, and it really sucked.  But a rewrite was prompted by two recent plot bunnies - I first started rewriting it when Autumn sent me lyrics to Marc Cohn's Strangers in a Car.  This story doesn't really follow the song, but it made me think - what if Rogue picked up Logan?  The second plot bunny was from Sandy (stoso@satx.rr.com - I know there are multiple Sandys)  who asked for a fic that featured a freshly-released-from-experimentation Logan that Rogue would have to teach how to read and write and drive.  I kind of went off track from the other elements Sandy suggested - I know that's a huge surprise to you all - sorry :)  Anyway, the general idea is to see somebody break a "rule" in each episode and to see whether that turns out badly or well.  We'll see some of the other x-men and assorted baddies along the way, but it'll be mostly just Logan and Rogue. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------


I know I probably really, really, really shouldn't do this.  He looks big.  And dangerous. But he also looks wet and tired.  And there isn't much traffic along provincial highway three out this way.  There's about another 200 miles to Yellowknife, and not much in between here and there.  I shouldn't, but - well, if I was walking along in the freezing cold rain, I'd want someone to pick me up.  I'm going to pull over.

"Hey, do you need a ride?"  He looks even bigger and scarier up close.  Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

"Yeah."  He looks a little surprised at that.  Hmm.  "Thanks."  Well, he's gotten over his surprise, he's climbing right in.  "Where do ya want this?"

There's really no good spot for a soaking wet duffel bag, but I guess the backseat will do.  "Just back there is fine.  I'm - I'm Rogue."  I almost said my real name there.  I have to remember to be careful. 

"Wolverine."  Now, that's an interesting yet scary name.

"Um, would you mind putting your seat belt on?"  I'm a pretty safe driver, but the roads are pretty wet.  He doesn't look like he wants to, but he is.  "Thanks."

"Where you goin'?"

"Uh, I was headed for Yellowknife.  Where are you trying to get?"

"Farther north."

"Oh.  Well, I can take you as far as Yellowknife, at least.  Would that be OK?"  I don't really know what proper hitchhiker etiquette is. 

"That's 325 kilometers."  Oh yeah, the metric system.  I always forget that's what they use up here.  I wonder why he's looking at me funny. 

"Um, uh-huh.  Is that OK?  Did you - did you want to get off somewhere sooner?"  Great, now it's the Rogue bus.  Making stops along provincial highway three, serving all hitchhikers

"Nah.  I'll go to Yellowknife.  Hey - you got anything to eat?"  I'm not surprised that he's hungry.  I wonder how long he's been on the road.  I'd bet it's been quite a while.  He's, um, a little stinky and he's soaked through. 

"Yes, yes I do.  There's some pretzels in the back, in that big bag.  There should still be a few Pepsis back there too, if you're thirsty."  Well, this is definitely my good deed for the day.  Helping out a scary, random hitchhiker named Wolverine.  Not exactly one right out of the Girl Scouts handbook, but I bet it still counts.

"Thanks.  Hey - uh, you mind if I get outta these clothes first?"  Uh, that could be heading into some weird and possibly bad territory, but he didn't say it lecherously or anything, and he *is* all wet. 

"Uh, sure.  But - but be careful.  I'm - you should probably know that I'm a mutant."  He doesn't look too shocked.  I guess I should tell him.  It's for his own safety, plus, you know, just in case he *was* thinking of trying any hanky-panky, this should deter him.  "My skin - it's dangerous.  It - it hurts people if they touch it.  It hurts them bad.  So, uh, don't freak out, go ahead and change if you want, but just be careful not to touch my bare skin, all right?"

"That sucks."  Well, that was a better reaction than I expected.  Succinct, but much less freakage there than usual. 

"Yeah, it does suck.  It sucks a lot."   There he goes, pulling off his jacket.  God, he's got, like, nine layers of shirts on.  He must've been cold walking along there.  It's June, but it's still in the fifties up here.  He's got a really muscular chest.  And really well-developed arms.  And - stop it.  Stop it.  Eyes on the road, Rogue.

"I'm hopin' there's somethin' in here that ain't just as soaked."  I can smell him very, very well right now.  And I definitely stand by my earlier assessment of 'stinky.'  He's being careful to avoid my skin, but he is pretty close to me, reaching for the duffel bag and sorting through it like that.  "Here we go.  Jeans, at least."  Oh.  Oh-oh.  That means pants taking off.  I mean, that means he's going to take off his pants, not pants taking off like an airplane or -   "I, uh, I'm gonna put the seat back.  I gotta take my boots off." And your pants.  Don't forget about those. 

"No problem."  I'll just keep my eyes on the road.  Yep.  Eyes straight ahead.  Not tempted to look by that zipper sound, oh no.  Eyes forward.

"There.  All done."  Bare-chested Wolverine.  Very nice.  But I bet very cold. 

"I'll - I'll turn up the heat a little.  You've got to be frozen solid."  He's looking surprised again.  I wonder what that's all about.  "And, um, help yourself, you know, to the pretzels and stuff." 

"Yeah."  Suspiciously surprised - that's it, that's the look exactly.  What, does he think picking him up and feeding him is some kind of evil plot to - to what, exactly?  Steal his soaking wet bag of clothes?  "How old're you?"

"I'm - I'm old enough."  Old enough to be on my own, old enough to make it by myself, old enough to make my own decisions, old enough to know better than to answer that question.  Also known as nineteen.

"OK."  I think that THUD was the conversation hitting a brick wall.  New subject.

"Are you - you have dogtags, are you in the army or something?" 

"No." Well, that definitely made him more uncomfortable, not less.  Plus, think, Rogue - what kind of army gives out dogtags that just say "wolverine?"  Try something else.

"How long - how long were you walking out there before I came along?"

"Few days.  Got a ride on highway 44, but I hadta get out just before highway two.  Came from Toronto.  That's the only other ride I got." 

"And you were planning on just walking the whole way to - to wherever from Toronto?  It's - it's over 3100 miles from Toronto to Yellowknife.  That's not exactly walking distance."  I know, because I came through Toronto on my way up from Mississippi.  I stopped.  I wanted to see Cats, but it had closed already. 

"It is if ya got enough time." 

"You - when did you start walking?"  He'd have to have been walking for months.  Even if he made thirty or forty miles a day, that's still -

"Long time ago." 

"Why?  Why - I mean, uh, why?"  Maybe he's eccentric or freaky or not right in the head or something because nobody walks three thousand miles. 

"Don't have a car." 

"But - but what about a bus or a plane or - or even a bicycle?"

"Don't have any money."

OK, something is clearly not right because he's looking ever-more uncomfortable with this line of conversation.  But I'm still curious.  "What did you do in Toronto?"

"Fought."

"Like, what, a boxer?"  He's definitely got the build for that.  But I can't imagine he wouldn't' be able to make a living at it.  Or at least a *little* money.  Enough for a bike or a bus ticket.

"No."

"Um, well, like what then?"  A fire-fighter or something?  A -

"I don't wanna talk about it, all right?  Just let me out."  Whoa.  He's getting everything back into that soaked duffel bag.  I didn't mean to make him upset or anything.  But, on the other hand, I can see why he hasn't had many rides along the way.

"I'm sorry.  I - I didn't mean to pry or anything.  You don't have to get out.  Unless - unless you really want to.  We can just talk about something else if you'd still like a ride."  Back to suspiciously surprised.  "Sorry.  I understand - there are some things that really aren't anybody else's business.  Sorry."

"OK."  Well, he's not taking off his seatbelt and he's back to eating pretzels, so I guess it really is OK. 

"Let's - let's talk about something else.  Total change of subject, all right?  Here's one - what's your favorite book?  Mine's Sense and Sensibility."  That should be better.  It's a nice, neutral subject that couldn't possibly -

"I don't have one."  Or maybe it possibly could.  Moving right along.

"OK, favorite song.  Do you have a favorite song?"  He's thinking, so there must be one.  Whew.  It's hard work to have a conversation with this guy. 

"Yeah.  Johnny Cash.  Folsom Prison Blues."  He looks pretty pleased with himself for that.  Well, good.  At least that didn't make him want to eject from the Jeep.

"Really?  Why that one?"

"There's that line in it - 'I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die'.  That's badass."

"I guess so."  It's a little alarming to have that particular line cited by your new friend the muscular hitchhiker.

"What's yours?"

"Mine?"  Oops - still thinking about people dying in Reno.  "I guess it would have to be either 'One' by U2 or maybe 'Teen Spirit' by Nirvana."

"I don't know those."  He's making a serious dent in that pretzel bag.  It's already half gone.  Oh well, that's OK.  It's my good deed, right?  "You want a pretzel?"  He caught me looking.  And maybe just one wouldn't hurt.  I *am* getting hungry. 

"Sure.  Thanks."  How cute - he stuck his whole hand in the bag and grabbed up a bunch in his fist to give to me.  He's got a kind of primitive, overly-manly charm.  In a I'm-still-not-too-sure-about-his-mental-health kind of way.  "OK, favorite color?  I know you have to have one of those, everybody does."

"Yeah.  Mine's black."

"Unusual.  Mine's green."  You know, it's actually kind of nice to have some company.  Now that we're both off of the touchy personal subjects and things involving shooting, it's kind of nice.  "Favorite place?"

"Not Toronto."  That sounded bad.  Very bad.  Come on, we were having a nice conversation, don't go getting all broody and defensive on me again.

"We can do least favorites later.  Favorite place."  Maybe trying to keep it light will help. 

"I guess I don't know."

"Uh, well, I think my favorite place so far would have to be Chicago.  Big town that feels like a little town.  And they have the Art Institute, which is my favorite museum ever."  I think that amused him a little.  "Favorite food?"

"Right now, pretzels."  That's actually funny.  I think I sort of like him. 

"Mine's pizza, with ice cream a close second."  A very close second.  There are days when I'd kill for a peanut-butter chocolate ice cream sundae with hot fudge.  I mean it, kill.

"I got one.  Favorite beer?" 

"Hmmm.  I'm not really a beer drinker.  I don't think I've found a favorite yet."  After all, I'm not legal yet.  Well, in the States. 

"Mine's anything Molson, Molson Canadian especially."

"Well, you're in the right country then."  He's laughing a little at that.  That has to be a good sign, right?  You know, a sign that he doesn't want to shoot me just to watch me die or anything like that.

"I'm one too."

"What?"  I must've missed something while I was listening to him laugh because -

"A mutant.  I'm one too."  He looks a little more serious, but not - the suspicious edge is gone.  "Don't freak out, but I got these." 

Holy hell!  Those are metal - metal claws coming right out of his hands!  What the hell is that?  That's not naturally occurring, it can't be.  People don't just grow metal out of their bodies.  That's - shit, shit.  I bet I know what happened.  I bet I know.  There were rumors of that government clinic in Toronto, the one doing experiments on mutants.  At first, everybody thought it was just some urban legend, but then those super-mutants, the X-men, raided it and it was on the news in living color.  Oh, God, that would explain a lot if he came from there.  "Can I see one?"

He's got the suspicious look back, but he's holding his hand closer to me.  I'm - I should pull over.  There.  Now I can really look at it.  "Hmmm.  Does it hurt?  When they come out, does it hurt?"

"Every time."  He sounds kind of sad about that.  But I guess I would be too.

"That sucks."

"Yeah, it does."  He just twitched to pull them back in - interesting.  And his knuckles - they're closing right up where the claws broke through.  "I heal too, though.  That ain't too bad."

"Can I ask you something?  Without, you know, you running out of the car.  You don't have to answer if you don't want, you really don't.  We can just drop it and go back to favorites if you want."  Well, he's nodding, so that has to mean yes.  Take a deep breath, Rogue, and ask.  "There was a government facility in Toronto that was experimenting on mutants.  Did you come from there?"

I can already tell by his expression that the answer to that is yes.  Oh God, how awful.  No wonder he's all messed up and trying to walk three thousand miles.  No money, no car, a few clothes, and that's it.  Not to mention all the trauma he must've been through.  I might just try that too, going for a mega-long walk, just to get it all out of my system.  "It's OK, Wolverine, you don't - I mean, I shouldn't have asked.  It's OK."  I feel like hugging him all of a sudden, stink factor notwithstanding.  But I don't know how he'd react to that.  "We can - let's get going again."  I'll just pull back on to the road and -

"Ain't you afraid of me?" 

The honest answer to that is yes, a little.  But the good-deed answer is different.  "Not really, no."

"Why?"

"I don't know.  I guess I just - I'm just not."  After all, something made me pick him up.  Something made me want him to stay in the Jeep even after he said he wanted to get out. 

"Good."  He looks like - well, if he was the kind of person who cried at times like this, he looks like he'd be about to. 

"Let's get going." 




"You're pretty.  Nothin' wrong with you."  I would not have believed I'd ever have told this guy about my romantic history, but I *really* would never have believed he'd be trying to comfort me over it.  It's - well, it's actually kind of nice. 

"Thanks.  But the whole life-sucking skin thing, it tends to put a damper on relationships."  There's the understatement of the year.

"I guess so would metal claws."

"You guess?" 

"I don't really remember anythin' before..before Toronto."  He can't even look at me now, he's looking out the window.  This has to be so hard for him. 

"Sorry."

"Ain't your fault."  Still looking out the window.

"No, but you didn't deserve that and it's not fair that it happened.  And I sympathize.  That's what I mean."  Maybe that will help, at least a little.  I know I always feel better when people say things like that to me.

"Yeah?"  Still looking out the window.  Well, I guess it makes sense.  I get the feeling that somebody named Wolverine wouldn't naturally be a Phil Donahue type.  I'd lay a bet that he's probably never been too open, even before all this happened.

"Yeah.  But come on, we're almost to Yellowknife.  Let's talk about something a little lighter, OK?"  About another half hour or so should get us there.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the town.  I've never been there before, and that's part of the mission of the Rogue Tour of North America - going places I've never been, seeing things I've never seen.  Picking up hitchhikers I've never met before

"What're you gonna do in Yellowknife?"  Staring straight ahead now, at least that's some progress.

"I'm picking up a package that I had sent general delivery to the post office there."  My art dealer.  I always have her send payments like that, to wherever I'll be passing through.  I usually tell her I send someone to pick it up, I've never admitted that I get the packages myself.  It's not that I don't trust her, but after that run-in with Magneto a couple years ago, well, it's just better to be careful.  Even if he still is in prison.

"Package from who?"

"From my art dealer.  I'm a painter."

"You're some kinda artist?"

"Hey!  Don't sound so surprised."

"I thought you'd be doin' somethin' - I dunno, like be a doctor or lawyer or some shit.  You're smart."  That's - that's actually going to make me blush.  A real compliment from the Wolverine.  I like it.

"Thanks.  But I'm just a painter.  Besides - how many doctors and lawyers drive around Canada's provincial highways, picking people up?"  My guess - zero.

"Why did you pick me up?"  And ladies and gentlemen, we're back to suspiciously surprised. 

"You looked like you needed a ride."

"Hmph."

"What?"

"I did need a ride."

"Exactly my point."  Is there something I'm not getting here?  I'm not following why he -

"But only one other person before you offered.  And they tried robbin' me."  They'd have to be some brave people to try that.  Well, brave or insane, and, you know, completely morally reprehensible.  "Why'd you pick me up?"

"Well, not to rob you.  I just - you needed a ride.  I picked you up to give you a ride and, you know, get you out of the rain for a while, and give you pretzels and Pepsi.  That was my plan."  I wonder if he seriously thinks I have some ulterior motive.  He's not saying anything in response to that.  Maybe I should say something else.  "I was a little lonely and I wanted someone to talk to.  You looked - you looked like you'd be interesting."   He's still not saying anything, but now he's looking right at me.  I mean, right at me, right into my eyes.  "I'm glad I did.  You've been really good company."   Still nothing.  "Wolverine?"

"My name's Logan.  I think.  That's what I remember.  Dunno if it's a first name or a last name, but I think it's mine.  They gave me the other name."  There's that urge to just hug the living daylights out of him again, and this time it's really strong.  Maybe I could - maybe a little gesture of comfort or support would be OK.  I could just squeeze his hand, maybe really quickly. 

"Hi, Logan.  I'm Marie."  His eyes followed my hand the whole way over to his and back to the steering wheel, like he was watching some kind of unnatural phenomenon or something. 

"Hi Marie."  

"Look, when we - when we get to Yellowknife, I'm going to get a motel room.  You're welcome to stay the night with me if you like."  Yes, I have completely lost my mind.  "It might be nice, you know, to have a shower and a roof over your head and a warm bed for a night."  On the other hand, if he meant me any harm, he could've done it by now.

"I don't wanna."

"Um, it's OK.  It's OK.  I understand if you don't want to.  I - I just thought I'd offer."  He knows about my skin, and being in close quarters when you need a ride and need to get out of the freezing rain is one thing, but voluntarily sharing a room when it's not really -

"No, I wanna do that, what you said about the shower and the roof and the bed, but I don't wanna - I don't wanna hurt you."

"Why - why would you hurt me?"  He's not making sense.  He wouldn't hurt me, I don't think he -

"I have nightmares about - about Toronto.  Sometimes I wake up from them clawin' things.  I don't wanna claw you."   That's soso touching.  Here comes the hug-urge again.  Big one this time.  I'm going to take his hand and hold it a little longer. 

"Hey, we'll figure something out, OK?  Don't worry."  He's looking at my hand again like it's some kind of foreign object.  I wonder if he really is afraid of my skin but just doesn't want to say. 

"OK."  God, he's just mesmerized by my hand holding his and - oh!  He's holding it with his now, he turned his hand over and he's holding it with his. 

"Good.  Hey - don't worry, really.  We'll figure it out."





Ah, the motel room at the end of a long drive.  Is there anything better?  I absolutely love, love, love the feeling of finally getting to your destination and being able to relax for a while.  "What do you think?  Doable?"  I asked for a room with two double beds instead of the room with one king-sized bed I'd reserved, and the Explorer Hotel was very accommodating.  I figure as long as he stays in his bed, the night should be claw-free. 

"I think so."  The beds are pretty far apart too.  I think we'll be fine. 

"Do you want to head for the shower first?"  Because you're long overdue, my friend.  I like pretty much everything I know about you so far except for the stink factor.

"Are you gonna?"  He's looking into the bathroom like he expects something to jump out at him or something.   

"Yeah, but I can wait." 

"Do you got any soap?"  He's still standing in the doorway, not going in.  Maybe he has some bathroom issues or something.

"Uh.....there's probably some in there.  Let me look."  Yes, we have soap.  And tiny shampoo and mouthwash.  "There's some by the sink.  I think you're good to go."

"OK........"

"Somthing wrong?" 

"I ,uh, I dunno what I'm gonna wear when I get out.  I mean, all my clothes are kinda wet and dirty and I don't wanna get all clean then put on dirty clothes."  He looked so unbelievably embarrassed explaining that.  I'm getting the hug-urge again.

"Oh, well, don't worry.  We can send them to the laundry and maybe - maybe you can wear a towel or something until they're delivered in the morning.  Would that be good?"  I should get some of my things done too.  I'm low on clean underwear and that's never good.

"How much is that gonna cost?"

"Oh, I don't know, not that much.  Don't worry about it."  He was all weird when we checked in.  I think he was embarrassed that he didn't have any money to contribute, that I paid for it all.  I can see how he'd be that kind of guy.

"I'll pay you back.  As soon as I get some money, I'll pay you back for this."   That's exactly what he said when we checked in.

"OK."  I'm not going to argue about it.  I mean, I know after tomorrow, he'll probably go his own way.  But I don't mind.  I'm glad I could help him out.  "If you wanna take off those clothes too, you can hand them out to me and I'll take care of it."

"OK."  Whew.  Finally, he goes into the bathroom.  The stinkiness is about to be a thing of the past.  Whoo-hoo!

"Here ya go."  Ick.  Dirty clothes.  Those Jeans he changed into in the car actually have dirt on them. 

"I'm going to go deal with the laundry.  I'll be right back."







OK, what have we learned about our new friend Logan so far?  He's a mutant, he's been experimented on in Toronto, and he doesn't remember much about his life before.  He likes Johnny Cash, has big metal claws, and looks seriously good in the towel he was wearing before I got in the shower.  Come to think of it, what wouldn't he look good in?   He's got a phenomenal body.  Unlike, say me.  I'm sure I will thrill him with my oversized t-shirt nightie.  "Hey."

"Hey."  See?  Just thrilled.  I see he decided to climb into bed while I showered.  "You, uh, mind me watchin' the TV?"

"No, no.  What's on?"

"Nothin' much.  No hockey."  Why am I not surprised that he's a hockey fan?  "I was lookin' at this here - it's all weather."

"Oh, yeah.  The Weather Channel."  I actually like watching the Weather Channel too - it's good for when you want to wind down.  There's a zen-like quality about it.  "That's good with me.  I'll probably fall asleep to it."

"What're you doin' in the morning?"  You know, I haven't really given where to go next much thought.

"Well, I'll probably get up, go get some breakfast, then take a look at the map and decide where to go next."  Hmm.  He looks confused.  Maybe nervous.  No, confused.  No, no -

"Any chance you'd be headin' north?  Or maybe west?"  Oh.  That's it - he's hoping I'll give him a ride a little further out.  Well, I guess I could do that.  I mean, I haven't been west or north of here yet, and that would fit in with the mission of the Rogue Tour of North America. 

"Sure.  Is there anywhere in particular you're headed?  Anywhere you were trying to get to?"  I know in the Jeep he just said 'farther north,' but I would think that someone who walked thousands of miles in that direction must have a destination in mind.  

"I dunno.  I just - I just thought when I got far enough out, I'd know.  I - I dunno."  Or not.  Well, OK.

"You know, I had thought of Whitehorse.  It's west, which is kind of the direction you were headed in."    And it's not too far.  Probably a good 1200 miles.  Three days or so driving.  Maybe less if he can help out with the driving duties.  I wouldn't mind seeing it.  I don't know anything about it and I've never been there, so why not?  "We could just start driving out that way and see what you think."

"That'd be OK with you?"  I don't mind him sticking around a while at all.  I like having company, and he's good company.

"Sure.  I'm just - I'm just kind of travelling around too.  Why not?  We could - we'll get the laundry in the morning, eat some breakfast, and then get going.  We can book a hotel or something in Whitehorse from the road - I have, I have a triple-A book and a cell phone.  We can just drive out and see what it's like.  It'll be fun."  Gosh, he looks like he doesn't quite know what to say.  I'm beginning to really get that this whole me-being-nice-and-helping-him-out thing is new to him, and probably a little bit disconcerting.  "It'll be nice to have some company along."

"OK."  I'm also beginning to get that he's light on conversation.  It's OK, I don't mind.

"I'm not going to set an alarm or anything.  We'll just get up when we get up."  I'm just going to turn out the light and hunker down in bed.  I'm kind of pooped to tell the truth.  Picking up hitchhikers is hard work.  "I don't mind the TV, if you want to leave it on.  Good night, then."

"Good night."  Sleepytime.  Ah, the soothing drone of the Weather Channel..  "Hey, Marie?"

"Yeah?"

"I think goin' to Whitehorse is a good idea."  Hey, I think that's the Logan seal-of-approval.  Neat.

"Me too."

"Thanks, you know, for all this."  Whoa.  That's a surprise.  But how sweet of him to say that.

"You're welcome.  You know, I bet you'd have done the same for me, given me a ride and helped me out.  It's no problem."  And I'm not just saying that, I think that's actually true.  I think he would've helped me out, like I'm helping him out now.

"Yeah."    I think that's the Logan I-can't-really-articulate-it-but-I'm-pretty-grateful conclusion to the conversation.  You know, I'm getting to really like this guy.

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives