Don't Make Mountains Out of Molehills
Title: Rule Number Twelve: Don't Make Mountains Out of Molehills
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: NC-17
Disclaimer: I only own Jules, and he's too adorable not to keep ;)
Archive: WRFA, Mutual Admiration, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask, and I'll say yes :)
Feedback: Please!  Pretty please?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome........
Summary: Sequel to A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.  Logan and Marie hole up for Thanksgiving, and Marie, Xavier, and Hank take turns at breaking this installment's rule.
Comments: I'm still reeling from the terrorist attacks, like I'm sure almost everyone still is.  But it's been noted that one of the things that we can do in the wake of this terrible act is to go on with our lives as we normally would while we continue to pray for all involved.  For me, that means writing silly (and occasionally smutty) little stories about mutants..............

-----------------------------------------------------------



I think she's finally been feelin' better these past coupla weeks.  Seems to be helpin' that she's sortin' stuff out with Xavier, and even if I don't like him, never will, if it's good for her, I'm all for it.  I told her that - that I didn't like Xavier, didn't trust him and never would - and I was real nervous sayin' it.  I know we're family now, me and her, but what if she didn't take too kindly to me not ever bein' able to like her dad?  She wasn't upset at all though, and in fact, she told me she was kinda glad I felt that way.  Meant I'd always be on guard, always lookin' out for her.  Plus, she said she'd feel the same way if the situation was reversed.  Marie - she understands me real good. 

I think I'm gettin' to understand her pretty good too - better and better all the time.  And I figured out a coupla important things lately.  When we talked over goin' up to that resort Xavier has and havin' him come out for a visit, it dawned on me that this life - livin' outta the Jeep and movin' around a lot - maybe it's startin' to wear on her.  She never complains, but wantin' to have a nice place to stay and celebrate the holidays meant a lot to her.  She didn't wanna do that in the Jeep, no way.  Reminded me that I gotta remember Marie deserves better and wants better than the life we got.  Me, I don't got any complaints - this is the best my life's ever been - but for her, it's different. 

At least we've been gettin' back on our feet a little money-wise.  She made up what she owed to Remy and has done a couple more besides.  He had this idea for her to design some note cards - you know the kind people write stuff on and send to other people - and she's gonna give that a try.  She said that there's a lotta inspiration out here in the Rockies. 

I hafta say, I like it out here a helluva lot too.  Clean air, lotsa trees, lotta good campgrounds and parks for us to stay in - and even some odd jobs for me to pick up.  The first day I went back to findin' work was hard.  Real hard.  I was worried 'bout Marie the whole time.  I kept thinkin' - what if somethin' happens to her?  What if she needs me for somethin'?  What if she's scared all by herself?  By the time she came and picked me up, I was almost frantic. 

It's a tough thing, 'cause I wanna contribute money, I gotta.  But I *hate* havin' her outta my sight.  She said that we could get another cell phone, one I could keep with me while I was workin', and that way I could call her or she could call me durin' the day.  That helps some, but I still don't work as often as I probably should. 

"Hey, do I get on Trans Canada One here?"

"Uhyeah.  Yeah.  Goin' east."  There she goes, smilin' that I got it right.  I don't mind tellin' ya, lettin' her know that I couldn't read was a tough thing to do too.  It's not like she thinks I'm stupid 'cause I dunno how to do stuff.  I know that and she's sure to tell me a lot just to make sure I know.  But readin' - well, that's somethin' even little kids know how to do.  I really didn't wanna tell her and I thought maybe I could just teach myself.  But that was pretty hard, and, after a while, I decided to just tell her. 

It was at night, after we'd been lovin' each other, and I was just holdin' her.  I told her I hadta tell her somethin' real important, that I'd been kinda keepin' from her.  She looked up at me so soft and said I could just say it.  So I did.  She didn't even flinch.  She just said she kinda thought I didn't remember that, and she'd teach me if I wanted.  I said OK, so we've been startin' with letters and shit.  She even took time outta paintin' to make me a book of letters - each one with a drawin' beside it to kinda illustrate a word that begins with that letter.  Marie says I'm learnin' fast, and I think she's especially glad that I can read good enough to help out a little with the navigatin' when we drive. 

"Shouldn't be long now."

"Yeah."  I dunno about all this holiday stuff.  I don't remember anythin' about it at all.  Thanksgivin' - Marie said that Canada's Thanksgivin' was already done, but she celebrated on the US day.  She said that it was a day where you're supposedta cook a turkey, sit down and eat it with the people you love the most, then sit around and watch football the rest of the day.  The next day, you go shoppin' for Christmas presents.  I don't really get it, but I like that she wants it to be just the two of us on that day. 

Christmas - well, she explained the religion behind it, but I dunno if I believe in all that stuff and I don't think Marie's too sure that she does either.  She said the important thing was to remember that there was good in the world.  She's proof of that to me, so I'm glad that day will be just us two too.

"I'll be interested to see what the place looks like."  Xavier said that it was real nice.  Said that we'd have everything we needed - food, beds, whatever.  Marie thanked him real nice but said not to go to too much trouble.  And she said we'd get the food for ourselves.  I think she's kinda gotten used to eatin' wild animals and I also think she likes it when I hunt 'em for us.  Makes me pretty happy too - it's one thing we don't hafta spend money on, and it's providin' for her, for us.  She said we'll hafta buy Thanksgivin' and Christmas food, though.  She said it hasta be turkey on Thanksgivin' especially.  Maybe I can talk her into caribou or somethin' on Christmas.  She said we wouldn't do presents this year 'cause of the money bein' so tight, but I was thinkin' maybe I could do somethin' nice for her.  "I hope it's nice."

"Just as long as you're in it, darlin', I don't much care."  I'm so in love with her.  When she does somethin' - even if it's somethin' little like lookin' over and smilin' at me like that - my heart just fills up with love for her.  I'm pretty sure she feels like that too. 

"I'm really looking forward to this, to having a place to stay for a while, just us." 

"Me too."  And that reminds me of somethin' I've been meanin' to talk to her about.  "Hey, you know how we've been seein' all those campers on the road?  I was thinkin' maybe we could get one.  You know, when we have the money for it.  It'd be a little nicer than the Jeep."

"Hmm.  That's a good idea.  I wonder how much one costs.  I'd kind of hate to give up the Jeep, but it sure would make camping out easier and would give us more room.  Good idea, sugar."

I still get a silly smile every time I do somethin' she likes and my chest still puffs out a little.  "Maybe we can look around, get an idea of what they'd cost, and start savin' money.  I could even, you know, work a little over - "

"Oh no, no way.  We agreed that neither of us was going to work for a little while.  If we're careful, the money we have now will get us to Christmas, and then we both can work some more." 

"But if we'll be in one place, then maybe there's a chance of me gettin' a lotta work in.  It could be a lotta camper money.  You could still take a break."

"I just - I just really want this time to be special.  I really want it to be just us two and just - just some time to relax.  I know how badly you want to help us out financially, but we'll make it through Christmas with what we've got and I - I kind of need this, Logan."  Reachin' out to hold my hand.  That's been kinda our special thing ever since the first time she did it, and it means that she's pretty serious about this right here.  "It's been a busy year and a lot has happened.  I just want a few weeks to relax and enjoy having you in my life.  We can do things together and go out in the snow and explore all around the mountains and pick a few days to just stay in and make love.  Please?  I kind of need a break, and I need you around for it."

"OK, darlin'.  OK."  She's at that place where she's not quite cryin', but I can smell it on her.  I gotta remember that even though she's doin' a lot better, she still needs me.  She's still dealin' with all the shit that happened and if she says she needs this to help with that, well, I'm gonna make sure she has it.  

"Thanks."  I like how she squeezes my hand.  Even just that little gesture, to this day, it makes me warm inside.





The place sure is big.  Real big.  Like the biggest-ass log cabin you could ever think of.  The guy here, Jack, said that there are four more pretty much just like it, but that Mr. Xavier asked us to stay in this one 'cause it was the biggest.  You could fit at least a half-dozen Jeeps in here, easy. 

"Oooh - there's a fireplace in the bedroom too."  Marie seems happy with it. "And a whirlpool tub."

"What's that?"  Whatever it is, she's smilin' the sexy smile.  That's gotta be good. 

"It's a big bathtub with jets that make the water move around.  We'll have to try it."  Oh-oh.  There went the sexy smile.  Looks like she thought of somethin' not-so-nice.  "Do you think - do you think this is all some big ploy?  Something to get me to like Xavier and then, bam, he's going to lock me up again or do something like that?"

"I dunno.  But you just - you just enjoy bein' here.  I'm keepin' a lookout for any kinda funny stuff.  You don't hafta worry 'bout that."  She said she needed a break, and I've been thinkin' about exactly what she means by that.  I think probably the biggest thing she needs a break from is always havin' to be on guard, always havin' to be on the look out.   I think another big thing is a break from how we've been livin' - she likes it so much when we go into motels that I shoulda guessed.  Toilets and hot runnin' water and refrigerators and shit - she likes havin' that, and she can get a good dose of that here.

"You're a really good guy, do you know that?"

"That's what you tell me, darlin'."  The sexy smile has returned.  Heh.  "Let's be together now, OK?"  'Cause it's been since last night - we didn't do it in the mornin' like we usually do 'cause we wanted to get a move on and start drivin' here.  We brought lotsa condoms.  She didn't think that would be somethin' Xavier would stock the place with, and she wanted to be sure we had some.  Smart girl, my Marie.

"OK.  But - but do you think that maybe we can do it in the whirlpool tub?"  She really does like that thing.  "I can leave some clothes on.  You can go naked."  I think I'm gonna like it too.





"Oh, Logan"  This is the best part.  OK, one of the best parts.  Both of us all exhausted and satisfied, lyin' in a nice, comfy bed together.  I admit, as much as I like doin' it in the Jeep, beds're good too.  And whirlpools.  "I love you so much."

"Me too."  And I love it when she gets like this after - all cuddly and touchy, rubbin' my stomach and my chest.  Means she usually wantsta go again, and I wouldn't mind at all. 

"I'm so lucky to have you."  She almost purrs when she's like this and she usually says stuff like that - lotsa real nice stuff.  I'm not so good at comin' up with stuff to say to her like that, but I'm workin' on it.  "You're so good to me." 

"Love you, Marie, love you."  I gotta touch her now too - her hair.  Love puttin' my hands in her hair and rubbin' her scalp. 

"I love it when you do that."  Heh.  "Mmmm.."  She's been gettin' sexier lately or somethin'.  The both of us, we didn't really know what we were doin' when we started out, and at first I kinda thought that was a bad thing, but OK, we could learn together.  Now, I think it was pretty good that it happened that way.  We've only ever been with each other, and I think that makes it better, easier to just say what we want.  You see all these shows on TV where people are havin' one kinda sex problem or another and they can't even talk to the person they're havin' sex with about it.  We've never had that problem at all.  Plus, the more we go along, the better we get at it.  I mean, it's always been good, and really emotional, and it means a lot.  But now, I dunno - Marie's gettin' sexier or somethin' 'cause she'll do these things that she didn't do before, like clutchin' at my back when I'm on toppa her or moanin' real loud and real sexy.  She grunts sometimes, even.  I like that a lot. 

I know sex is how to show love, and I always wanna make sure that she feels loved while we're doin' it, but I kinda like knowin' she get so much pleasure - just physical pleasure - out of it too.  Maybe it's the animal in me or somethin', but that's *good*.  I do that to her, I make her feel those things and that's *good*.  "Darlin', you wanna go again?"

"Mmm-hmmm."  Apparently, we do it a lot.  Accordin' to one of those talk shows, people do it two or three times a week.  I dunno how people live with that and it's no wonder they're so grumpy all the time and complainin' 'bout things if they only do it once in a blue moon.  Marie and me talked about it in the beginnin' and decided on at least once a day.  I mean, come on, that's, like, the minimum anybody should hafta get by with.  We didn't set a top limit, but I think eight in one day is the record.  One of the days right after we left Westchester, when she needed me a lot.  "Tell me how you want it."

"I wanna be on top this time.  And can you - can you take your shirt off?  I can put mine on."  She's still got those soppin' wet clothes on from the whirlpool.  I think the tights're probably gonna hafta stay put, but I wanna see her top half naked while we're doin' it this time.  That's a recurrin' thing we gotta deal with - we both like to have the other person naked - so we gotta take turns. 

"I love you."  She tells me that a lot durin' sex  - that's one of the very best parts too.  "I want you so much.  You make me so satisfied."  She's been sayin' more and more things like that, and I always encourage it.  Makes me hard as hell and it feels like I'm just on fire for her all over. 

"That's what I want, baby, exactly what I want.  I wantcha to love bein' with me.  I wantcha to want it, bad." 

"I do."  Gonna start with just touchin' her breasts now that they're naked.  "Yes.."  Love this part.  And she likes it too.  Look at her squirmin' underneath me already and makin' those little noises in her throat.  That's hot. 

"You look so good right now, Marie, so good." 

"More, Logan, more, please." 

"I love it when you say please, darlin'."  I tell her that a lot.  It's like, when she says that, she's layin' herself wide open.  She's trustin' me to give her whatever it is.  And I do.  Usually, nice and slow and easy, but she wantsta go a little faster here.  That's OK. 

"Unnh"

"Yeah, Marie, yeah"  Absolutely love the way she opens up her legs to me, lettin' me touch her down there.  Smells good, feels good, tastes good too.  Hmmm.  Those tights have already got a little hole in 'em, but I think we got a scarf around here somewhere - there.  Gotta taste her.  She was the first one to try usin' her mouth on me, and lemme tell ya, if she feels half as good as I do when she does that to me - "Logan!"

"Mmmm."  Can't really talk to her now, which is just about the only downside to doin' this.  I like to talk back when she talks to me. 

"More, more!"  Oh yeah, darlin', don't you worry.  I'm gonna make you come for me.  "God!  Logan, please - unnh!"  Gettin' close already and I can tell I'm gonna hafta grab her hips and hold her still a little.  She gets *really* squirmy sometimes and she says those're the best times for her, so I don't mind.  But I got a job to do here.  "Oh - oh - aaaaah!"  Love how she pants and moans for me.  "Logan!  Mmmmmph!  Mmmmph!!!!"  There it is.  Gotta love that.  "God."  Tastes a little different when she comes - it's a little, I dunno more or richer or somethin' than when she's just on her way to gettin' excited.  "Logan, oh God, that was so good."

"Gonna get even better, darlin'."  I know she likes me bein' inside her the best and I do too.  It's closer than anythin' else and the way she feels - all tight and so hot and slippery - there's nothin' as good as that in the world.  Just gotta roll on a condom first.  Whoever invented these things should have some kinda gold medal or somethin'.  I dunno what I'd do if I couldn't be inside her. 

"Yes, Logan, yes, please, I need you."  That's gettin' to me.  And the way she's reachin' out with those little gloved hands is too.  "Please, now, right now."

"Yes, darlin'.  Umph."  Usually like to go slower, but sometimes she likes it like this too, all in, all at once.  "Yeah, Marie, baby, just like that."  She gets those knees up real high and lets me go in so deep, and -

"Ummph."  There's a grunt already and I can tell this is gonna be real good.  That came out all low and sexy. 

"Little harder, OK?"  Noddin' a lot.  Times like this, it's hot and fast and maybe even a little wild, but I think she likes it like that sometimes.  I do.  "Marie.."

"Mmmph!  Oh!  Yes, right there!  Right there!"  I've gotten to be an expert at hittin' up against her sweet spot.  I got so good that I can do it even when we're a little outta control, like this.  "Unnnh!"  There come the hands, grabbin' at my ass, pushin' me in deep.  God, love that.  "Mpph!!"

"Gonna come, Marie, soon, I - "

"Close, I'm so close!"  God, I know, baby, just - "Aaaah!!  Unnnh!!!" 

"GRRRRR!" 

"Unh.  Umph.  Logan"

"Rrrrrrr.."

"So good, so good.  God.."

"Yeah"

"Love you."

"Love you too."  Hate havin' to pull out right after all the time, 'cause - shit!  Shit!  Condom slipped!  Fuck!

"Logan?"  God, she was right offa me, right away.  I only felt a little of her skin and I think - yeah, the condom's still inside her. 

"Hang on, baby.  Just - just lay back down a second, OK?  Lemme get that outta you."

"Are you OK?  God, Logan, are you all right?"  She's scared as hell.  But I'm fine. 

"Don't worry, darlin'.  Hey, I'm OK.  I'm just fine.  See?"  We've had a close call or two before and they always kinda freak her out.  She's so worried 'bout hurtin' me.  "It's OK, baby."

"Are you sure?"  Oh-oh.  Tears.  Cryin'.  That's not good. 

"Yeah, darlin'.  I'm just fine.  It was just a little accident.  It's OK.  Lemme - lemme get that outta you."

"I'll do it.  I'll - "

"Hush.  Just lay back."  I wanna do it, 'cause if there's anythin' I've learned from experience it's that when we have these little close calls, the sooner I start touchin' her again the sooner she calms down.  Just gonna put a hand on her stomach and ease her back.  "There.  Just relax, baby.  I'll be real careful."  Still cryin'.  "There.  Got it.  No worries.  See?"

"Logan, I'm so sorry.  I'm so sorry." 

"C'mere."  Gotta hold her now.  Always do that after sex and after a close call and so it goes double right now.  "It's OK, Marie.  I'm all right."

"I didn't mean to hurt you.  I'm so sorry." 

"Shhh.  Darlin', you didn't hurt me at all.  I'm just fine.  Baby, it's OK.  I love you."

"I'm so sorry."

"Shh.  We're OK.  We're OK."  She likes to be rocked a little and have her hair stroked when she's really upset.  It usually calms her pretty quick.  "That was a real good one.  I loved that one."  Gettin' her to talk usually helps too.

"I'm sorry." 

"Shhh.  You don't gotta be sorry for anythin'.  It's all right."  Tears are easin' up.  "What did you think?  Did you like that one?"

"Right up to that last part, yeah."  Whew.  Little joke.  That's a good sign.  "I liked it a lot." 

"So that one's a keeper?"  We usually do this - talk about it after, say what we liked best and would we do some of it again.  Marie calls it post-game analysis, but I kinda think of it as just us learnin' together. 

"Mmm-hmmm."

"So're you, you know?  You're definitely a keeper."  She needs this when she's upset too - me sayin' she's good, I want her.  At first, I needed that so much from her, I didn't realize how much she needs it too.  But she really, really does.  "I love you, darlin'."

"I love you too."  There.  Tears are done.  And I think she's OK.  She'll be a little scared, a little gun-shy the next coupla times, but I think she's gonna be just fine. 








Thanksgivin' Day.  She had me turn on the TV and find the American station with this big parade on.  We get about a hundred channels on this thing, so it took a little while.  But it's on now, and she's enjoyin' the hell out of it. 

Now, I usually do the cookin' for us.  Marie's a little squeamish 'bout skinnin' and guttin' things sometimes.  But today she said she'd do the cookin', and, so far so good.  Turkey's been in the oven for a little while and she made pies last night.  Why the hell you'd make a pie out of a pumpkin, I dunno, but she said it'd be good.  Plus, she said it'd be traditional, and I got a feelin' that that's real important to her - havin' a normal holiday.  And I can guess why, with everythin' abnormal that's happened to her this year. 

"Hey, beautiful, when're we gonna eat?"  Smilin'.  Heh.  I love makin' her smile. 

"In another hour or so.  You hungry?"

"Kinda.  It smells good." She put on one of the aprons she found in the kitchen - I guess Xavier really did think of everythin' - and she looks damn cute in it.  We've had sex twice this mornin' and I think I can convince her to do a couple more when we go to bed tonight.  She's a little skittish after the close call, and the more we do it, the sooner she'll get back to normal. 

"Want a sandwich?  We've still got some of that roast leftover." 

"Sure." 

"No, no - sit tight.  I'll get it."  Huh.  She's not usually like that, waitin' on me.  Wonder why she's doin' that. 

"Hey, uh, Marie?  You don't hafta do stuff for me, you know, I can, uh, do that."  Hmmm.  There's the serious Marie-expression.  Wonder what's goin' on.

"I want to spoil you a little today, OK?  Today's all about being thankful for what you've got, and I'm most thankful for you.  So let me take care of whatever you need today, OK?"  I think - she's said a lotta good stuff to me since I've known her, and in fact, she's said nothin' but good stuff, but I think that's the most beautiful thing she's said to me so far. 

"Love you."  I know that came out all deep and gruff, but she knows I mean it. 

"I'm so glad that you do.  So glad, Logan.  And I love you so much too.  So much more than anything in the whole world."  God, that's so beautiful too.  This is a good holiday, that's for sure. 

"C'mere.  C'mere next to me. I wanna say some stuff too."  She always says such nice stuff to me, and if bein' thankful is what we're supposedta do today, I should try to let her know how thankful I am for her.  "Love you."  'Course, gettin' the words out right still ain't gonna be easy.  "A *lot*.  It's you and me.  You're - you're mine now and I'm always gonna take care of you.  Always, no matter what.  I wantcha to know for sure that I feel all this stuff for you.  I wantcha to know it's not gonna change."  She's cryin', but I think they're happy tears.  And I think that means it came out at least a little right.  "Love you." 






"Hello, Marie.  Hello, Logan."  Xavier.  He said he'd be up on Saturday, but I didn't think he meant in the mornin'.  It's not even ten o'clock yet.  "So sorry if I woke you, but I, ah."

"It's fine.  Come in." Marie's bein' a lot nicer than I would be.  He got us up outta bed before we had mornin' sex.  That's just wrong.  "Can I put on some coffee for us?"

"I would like that.  Ah, Hank - Hank and Jules shall be along shortly.  They were getting settled into their cabin.  We spent the day in Calgary yesterday and completed the drive here this morning."

"I bet Jules slept most of the way."  Marie's a lot better at this than me - makin' small talk.  I can do it a little with Hank, but 'cause I kinda know him and 'cause he's been pretty decent to Marie. 

"Indeed.  How was your Thanksgiving?"  You know, I didn't really get to see Xavier that much before.  There ain't that much of a resemblance between him and Marie.  But he smells a lot more like her than her mom does.  I guess he really is her dad.

"Very nice.  Thanks for letting us stay here." She's glancin' at me a little.  I can tell she's nervous 'bout this.  When we talked about it, she told me she don't want me to leave her alone with him, and that she was gonna hope for the best, and be polite and all, but if I got any kinda feelin' that somethin' was wrong, not to hesitate to act on it.  I told her that I'll be sure to protect her, no matter what happens.  She's not gonna hafta worry 'bout that.  I'll just give her a little wink.

"It is my pleasure."  Hmph.  Now he's glancin' over at me.  Probably noticed that I'm not too fond of him.  Wonder what he thinks 'bout me.  I know he wanted me to be on their little team and whatever, but bein' in love with his daughter is a different thing.  "I am glad you have decided to spend your holidays here." 

"Hello, all."  Hank - and Jules.  I really miss the little guy, you know?  He's such a good kid.  I think Hank's takin' care of him OK. 

"Hewwo!"  Jules always gets so excited to see me and Marie.  Little guy sure bonded with us. 

"Hi Jules!"  I know that Marie especially likes the kid 'cause she can touch him and all without worryin' 'bout her skin.  Always picks him right up and gives him a big hug.  Jules always hugs Marie and cuddles to her a little bit, then he comes runnin' to me to tell me all about his life and what's happenin'.  Yep.  Here he comes. 

"Hi Wogan!"

"Hi, kid."  Ooof.  He's gotten bigger since we saw him last.  Well, good.  That must mean Hank's takin' care of him OK.  "How're you doin'?"

"Well.  Me get wotsa food."

"For Thanksgivin'?"

"Yeah.  You get food?"

"Oh, yeah, you missed out.  Marie cooked a real good turkey.  Got a few leftovers, though."  Marie said it was a tradition to leave some for leftovers.  She said shoppin' the next day was a tradition too, so we did.  We decided on no Christmas presents for either of us, but we got somethin' for Jules, and Marie painted him a picture too. 

"Me and dada go to the zoo.  We see aminals."

"Oh yeah?" 

"Uh-huh."

"The Calgary Zoo."  I can see Hank doin' stuff like that for him - you know, tryin' to show him stuff, teach him stuff.  "He was quite fascinated by the bears there."

"Big." 

"Oh, yeah, bears're pretty big.  I hunt 'em now and then, though.  You know, lotsa good meat in a bear."

"Ooooh - beaws scawy.  Big."  Oh-oh.  Maybe I shouldnta said that. 

"A little.   But don't worry.  Uh, no bears are gonna getcha or anythin'.  Me and your dad will make sure of that."  Hank's noddin'.  I don't think he's upset at me for sayin' that or nothin'.  He understands.  "What else is goin' on?"

"Me talk more, dada says.  Me know wotsa stuff now.  Oooh - I go wif dada to moozoom."

"Moozoom?" 

"A museum.  A children's museum."  Hank likes to be close to Jules, even when I'm holdin' him and talkin' to him.  He's been inchin' his way across the kitchen the whole time.  Well, that's a good sign too.  You gotta stick close to what's yours, you know, even if there's no trouble on the horizon.  Sometimes it's good to be close just because. 

"That's good."

"And me have fwiend."

"A friend?  Well, that's real good, kid."  It'll do him some good to have playmates his age.

"Ah, yes.  Jules and I met some friends on a trip to the park one day."

"That's great, Hank."  Marie, handin' out the coffee. 

"Yes, well, we scared most of the children off, along with their parents I'm afraid.  I am still of mixed thoughts about the extent to which Jules should be integrated into the normal course of childhood rites - trips to the park, perhaps even pre-school at some point - and the extent to which I should shelter him from the prejudices of others."  I guess Jules wantsta go over to Hank now.  He's squirmin' a little in my arms. 

"But fwiends good."

"I think that there's your answer."  Kids - they ain't like adults.  And Jules, he's been through worse than a few snot-nosed brats callin' names at the playground.  If he's OK with goin' out and makin' friends, let him do it.  Or at least that's what I'd do with my kid.

"Perhaps.  It is just that I wish I could shield him from all bad things."  Hmm.  Heavy look between Marie and Xavier there. 

"More coffee anyone?"





"I am glad that you and I will have some time to talk."  Well, I ain't.  Not particularly.  But as long as I can keep Marie in my sight while she's in the livin' room paintin' with Hank and Jules, it's OK. 

"Uh-huh."

"I am aware that you still feel somewhat, well, to be frank, hostile toward me."

"Uh-huh."

"I don't blame you.  I understand completely."

"I don't think ya do."  Just 'cause Marie's bein' all polite to him, it don't mean I gotta.  Plus, if he wantsta be 'frank,' fine.  "You don't love her like I do.  If you did, you woulda known right off that she was good, and not to be messed around with."

"I have apologized to her for my conduct, but it occurs to me that my conduct may have also caused you quite a bit of distress.  I apologize for that as well." 

"Hmph."  He's very polished - one of those classy guys, you know?  Probably means a lot to most people, but hat don't mean too much to me.  "You're not ever gonna get a chance to hurt her again.  I'm gonna see to that."

He's just givin' me one of those looks that're supposedta be pleasant or somethin'.  Whatever.  "Logan, I wonder if I might talk with you a little about Marie."  If this is where he's gonna tell me I'm no good for her or to stay away from her or - "I was hoping you could tell me a little more about the kind of person she is and what her life has been like recently.   She and I have discussed these things, but, well, you are closest to her, and I would be interested in hearing your perspective."

"Well." You know, I think he's bein' sincere.  "She's a real good artist.  She said you said there weren't other artists in the family, so she, uh, musta gotten all the talent right there.  She likes nature, like me.  She's smart, really smart, and she's kept us together a lot, you know, money-wise and safety-wise.  She don't like her mom, and frankly, I don't see why you ever thought she was just like that bitch.  She don't smell like her, you know, and she don't act nothin' at all like her."

"Yes, I can - I can see that now."

"Good.  You remember that too."  He's noddin'.  Hmph.  I still don't like him.  "She's, ah, a very, very good person.  Kind to everybody, even, like, people she's just passin' by, waitresses and stuff.  I think she likes livin' with me and I know I like livin' with her.  The way we're livin' now - outta the Jeep, movin' around a lot - we're not gonna live like that all the time, you know.  We've been talkin' about buyin' a camper so we'll have more room."

"Oh." 

"Yeah.  So, you know, that's pretty much it."  I dunno what else he'd wanna know, and I don't wanna tell him any of the private stuff, stuff that's just between us. 

"Thank you for sharing that.  I believe - I believe you are quite correct.  Marie is an exceptional person."

"Yeah.  And one more thing - she's mine.  We decided that early on, and that's the way it's always gonna be.  I know she's your daughter by blood, but her and me - that's how it's always gonna be.  Whatever else happens, nothin's gonna interfere with that."  I think he gets it.  He's not sayin' nothin', but he's got that look.  Well, good.  'Cause that's the most important thing.  He should know.






"I have had a very enjoyable day today.  Thank you for inviting us."  It's only nine o'clock but it feels like it's been one helluva long day.  Lotsa tension, even though everything did turn out OK.  So far.  I'm not lettin' my guard down.  I'm keepin' an eye on him.

"It was nice to have you here."  Marie's bein' polite, but I can tell she's tired.  It's takin' it's toll.  Even though they didn't really have any big or heavy talks or nothin', it's taken a lot outta her.  "Have a good night.  See you in the morning."

"Goodnight.  Goodnight, Logan."

"'Night."  One more day of this.  Marie was smart to make sure to say it hadta be a short visit.  It's wearin' a little on me too, to tell ya the truth. 

"Whew."

"How're you holdin' up, darlin'?"

"I'm good."  But she's comin' over here to get a hug from me.  "I'm a little tired.  How about you?"

"It was good to see Jules again.  He's doin' good, I think."  Noddin' against my chest and snuggled tight into me.  Yeah, she needs me a little now.  "I had a little talk with Xavier while you were paintin'."

"I saw that.  Talk about anything interesting?' 

"He wanted to know what kinda person you were and I told him you were a real good one and he should remember that in the future.  I told him you were mine even if he was your dad and all."

Lookin' at me with those big eyes.  "I am.  I'm so glad you were here to look out for me.  I'm so glad.  I don't think I could've done it otherwise."

"I know.  I gotcha, don't worry.  I'm gonna take good care of ya."

"You always do."  Aw.  Kisses on my chest.  "Come on, let's go to bed."









Day two of the family stuff.  Marie decided on us all goin' out and takin' in some of the scenery.  I think that was a damn good idea.  Get us all outta the house for a while and get some space to move in.  We all piled into the jeep and headed up to Lake Louise for starters.  It is beautiful.  Cold as hell, but beautiful. 

"Logan shared with me that you quite like being out in nature."  Xavier kinda corralled her over by one of the benches lookin' out at the lake.  I was gonna go over and sit with 'em, but Marie gave me a look that said not to.  I guess she's gotta talk to him sometime.

"Yeah.  We've kind of had to be out in nature lately, but I really do like it.  We've been, uh, thinking about getting a camper, and I think that would be nice."  Marie's nervous, I can smell it from over here, but not panicky.  I'm just gonna stick close to her.  Not gonna intrude, but not gonna get outta earshot either. 

"Yes, Logan mentioned that as well."  I think Xavier's kinda nervous too.  Smells like it.  "He seems to care for you quite a bit."

"I love him.  A lot."

"I see."

"He's always been there for me, you know, ever since I met him, he's been nothing but good to me.  Even above-and-beyond kind of good."

"I have not always been there for you, and I regret that."

"You don't have to apologize all the time, you know.  It's just - you didn't know and that's just how it is.  I don't know that I wish it was otherwise, to tell you the truth.  Maybe I wouldn't have met Logan or Remy, maybe we wouldn't have been there to save Jules if my life had been different.  Sure, it didn't turn out, you know, optimally for me to have it that way, but who says that it's not exactly how it's supposed to be in the big scheme of things?"

"I regret that you have been so grievously hurt by Mystique and her associates.  I should have - "

"Don't."  That came out a little mad.  She still looks OK and smells OK, though.  "Just don't, OK?  'Should have' isn't going to change anything."

"Of course."

"Look, I don't mean to be bitchy, OK?  But it's just that I have to live with the things that happened to me, and it's - they're deep, solemn things.  There's no way to go back and change them, and even if there were, I want that experience.  It's made me who I am today, and I like that person.  When I hear you say you should have done this or that, I feel like - no, don't.  I wouldn't want to change those experiences and give up what I have now.  Plus, it is how it is, you know?  We have to go forward from here.  There's no going back to fix it."

"I understand.  I suppose I simply - I wished for you to know that if I had my choice in the matter, I would not choose to have you be hurt, to have you suffer."  Oh-oh, Marie's cryin'.  "You have turned into such a splendid, wonderful person despite it all.  I - I simply wish for you to know that I would not hurt you or wish to see you hurt from here on out."

"Good."  She's wipin' away the tears, glancin' back at me to let me know she's hangin' in there.  "That's nice of you to say."

"Perhaps - perhaps we should speak of lighter things, yes?   You were mentioning that you may wish to get a camper to reside in rather than the Jeep."

"Oh, yeah.  It was Logan's idea and I think if we're still, you know, going to be kind of mobile for the near future, it would be a good idea.  We'll have to make a little more money before we can get one, but probably by the summer.  That'd be nice, I think." 

"I would be more than happy to help the two of you out financially.  I have ample resources.  They - what the family has, you should rightfully share in."

"That's nice of you, but we can take care of ourselves."  Marie and me talked about it 'cause she thought he might say somethin' like that - he's always writin' and talkin' about how the Xaviers have a lotta stuff.  We don't trust him enough not to expect somethin' back for it, plus, I'm the man takin' care of her.  It's bad enough that she's carryin' us financially, I don't want anybody else to feel like they gotta take care of her 'cause I'm not doin' enough.  Her dad or whatever ain't responsible for her, I am. 

"Of course.  But if you ever need - "

"Thanks."

I think he's gonna give it up.  He's figurin' out that he can't push her.  That won't do no good.  "Are you planning on staying in Canada?"

"I think so.  We like it here a lot.  I like the space, and you know, fewer people.  It's a little more laid back than the US, I think.  I like that too."

"It occurs to me that I know so very little about you."

"I don't know anything about you, really."

"Is there anything you wish to ask?"  Now, she's asked me a lotta stuff - wonderin' how he could lock her up, how he feels about havin' a kid, lotsa stuff.  I dunno what she'd ask him.

"What do you do for fun?"  Ah.  She's tryin' to smile, to keep it light. 

"Well, I occasionally play chess.  I read."

"I like to hike."

"Ah."

"Do you have a girlfriend?  Or - or a best friend?"

"I would say that Hank would be my best friend.  I have had girlfriends in the past, but also several relationships with men."   Now he's the one smellin' real nervous. 

"Oh."  Marie looks a little disappointed and so does he.  I'm actually kinda surprised 'cause she's usually real open-minded about stuff that - "There's no one special in your life now?  No one you're, you know, in love with?"  I got it.  She just wishes he had someone for him, someone kinda like I am to her and she is to me.

"No.  My last relationship was several years ago.  I have devoted my energies to the school."

"Don't you miss that?  Or was - was Mystique so bad that she kind of - "

"No.  No.  She and I did not have a relationship, as I mentioned.  Her associate, Erik, Magneto as you know him, and I were close."

"You were lovers?"

"Yes."  He looks *real* uncomfortable now.  "Does that trouble you?"

"Well, yeah.  I mean, the guy tried to kill me.  How could you - I mean, I guess I'm not seeing the lovable side of him.  Maybe - maybe he was different before."

"He was.  I, ah, did not know that he attempted to kill you."

"Yeah, in that machine thingie - he wanted to use my powers, which would've had the unfortunate side effect of killing me, yes."   I'm gonna hafta made a - what does Marie call 'em?  Yeah, a mental note - I'm gonna hafta make a mental note to kill that guy Magneto.  Slow.

"I am so sorry.  We thought - "

"I know what you thought.  Scott and Jean made that pretty clear when they came knocking on our hotel door.  It wasn't my plan or anything, and I didn't want to go out and hurt anyone."

"Of course."

"I'm not at all evil."

"I can see that, I can, Marie."  He's gonna reach out for her hand.  She looks like she's not likin' that too much, but she's not movin' her hand. 

"Sorry.  I get a little defensive, I guess."

"I understand."

"I don't really - I don't really feel like you're my Dad, but I don't want you to think I'm a bad person."  More tears.  And no look back at me this time. Dunno if I should go over there or not.

"I don't.  Not at all. In fact, just the opposite."  He's scootin' closer to her, takin' her hand in both of his.  If he hurts her -

"I'm not bad."  She's scootin' away.  Shit, I should go over there.  Just in case.  Just in case.  "But every single person I'm related to and most people in my life think I am.  And they treat me that way - I'm just disposable to them, I deserve to be treated bad because I am bad, that's what they think.  I just - I'm *not* bad."

"'Course not, darlin'."  She looks relieved to see me - comin' over was the right thing. 

"I do not think you are at all bad, Marie, I am certain of that."  He looks pretty sad, but I honestly don't give a shit about anythin' but Marie at the moment. 

"OK."  She's cuddlin' up to me, she needs me.  "Sorry.  Sorry.  I didn't mean to cry."

"It's OK, darlin', it's all right."  She needs me a lot.  "Why dontcha just leave her alone a while, huh?  Go see if Jules and Hank are back from their walk or somethin'."  I know he probably ain't the kinda guy usedta takin' orders from someone else, but he looks like he's gonna just do it.

"All right.  I shall be back in a moment."

"Hey, darlin', look at me."  She even looks pretty all red and blotchy like that.  "You ain't bad, anyone with half a brain knows that.  Hell, even I know that, and I don't know too damn much."

"Don't say that.  You know a lot.  You - "

"Shhh."  She always does that, tries to make me feel better even over the smallest thing, even when she's all upset herself.  "You don't worry 'bout me, OK?"

"I'm sorry.  I thought I could do this without getting all emotional."

"It's OK.  It's a pretty emotional thing."  She clutches those hands on me real tight when she's upset like this - I can feel her diggin' 'em in now.

"He probably thinks I'm some kind of unstable wacko."

"Nah.  Anyway, he should feel like shit for lockin' ya up and makin' ya feel bad about yourself."

"I'm sorry.  I thought we could just, you know, sit here and have a talk without me turning into a total wreck.  I thought I could do that."

"You're doin' real good so far with him."

"Do you really think so?"  God, she's so beautiful and so perfect.  I dunno how anybody could not love the hell outta her after even one look. 

"Yeah, I do.  This family stuff - it ain't easy, and you're doin' good."

"Thanks."  I think she'll be OK now.  She just needs me every now and then, when things get a little scary or iffy.  I like givin' her that, bein' there for her.  "I think I'm going to go find him.  We can - we can head up the icefields parkway.  We can just drive a while."

"Sounds good, darlin'."






"And so you set up the school as kind of a haven for mutant kids, then?  That's nice."  They've been havin' a little easier time of it, talkin' on the drive.  Hank can jump in every now and then when there's an awkward pause. 

"I have been very pleased with our results so far."

"It looked like a very nice place, from what we saw of it."  That was real nice of her to say, especially since what she saw of it was mostly a cage in the basement.

"Rrrrr..."

"Logan?"

"Uh, sorry, darlin'.  It's nothin'."  Gotta keep those kinda thought outta my head.  Growlin' ain't gonna reduce the tension level in this jeep.  "Whaddya think about stoppin' to get somethin' to eat soon?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Food!"

"And I think Jules votes yes." 

"All right, then."  Just gonna give the little guy a wink. He's been pretty good this whole day.  Hell, he's a good kid.  And I know he likes bein' by Marie.  Sittin' in back between her and Xavier, with Marie holdin' his little hand - yeah, he's lovin' that.  "Ya know, Hank, Jules seems like he's doin' real good."

"I am very pleased with his progress in learning to talk and with his development of motor skills."

"Hank, you were saying something about Jules making friends at a park?"

"Oh, yes, his new friend is a little four year old girl named Sari.  She is a human, and quite outgoing.  She and Jules shared a common love of the monkey bars."

"Me climb well."

"I betcha do, kid."  I can just see him, swingin' from bar to bar, laughin'.  It's good to think of him happy like that, and safe. 

"Sari saw that Jules had gotten to the very top of the monkey bar dome and was quite impressed.  They became fast friends as soon as Jules came down."

"Me wike Sari.  See-saw wif her is fun."

"Jules is quite social given what he has been through, quite open to new people.  Ah, given that he does not encounter any one that is noticeably in the medical profession, that is.  He was quite eager to approach children at the park.  Sari and her mother were the only ones who seemed interested in making Jules' acquaintance, though."  I can see that's still botherin' Hank, that other kids rejected his kid.  I can see why, but if he keeps makin' such a big deal outta this thing, it's gonna make Jules think it's a big deal too, and it ain't.

"Ya know, not everybody's gonna be nice, but it sounds like Jules is handlin' it OK.  He got one friend outta the deal, and that's pretty good.  It don't hafta be a bad thing that everybody didn't wanna be his friend.  Maybe he just got the best one, ya know?"

"Sari best one!"  See?  He likes the little girl, he's not worried 'bout the other kids.

"You have a very salient point, Logan."  Like I don't realize that Xavier's sayin' that just to get on my good side.  "Jules is pleased with the outcome of the park interaction.  He seems to have bounced back well from any unpleasantness there may have been."

"Perhaps I am having a more difficult time because I better realize what Jules will face as he gets older.  I am glad that he found a new friend, and I must admit, Sari's mother was quite nice as well.  She didn't look at all like she wanted to scream and run away when she saw her child playing with Jules.  She even suggested having what I understand is referred to as a 'play date' for the two children when we return from Canada."

"Well, I think ya should take her up on it.  I bet Jules would have fun."

"I think I shall do that.  Yes, she and her child both showed no aversion to Jules, so I think I shall do that."

"Me have fwiend."

"Yes, yes, indeed you do."  I think Hank feels a little better 'bout the whole thing.  Sometimes it helps to have someone to bounce this kinda stuff off of.  "I admit, this is all still very new to me, all the attendant responsibilities and worries that come with being a father.  I am still feeling my way through."

"Well, you're doing a really good job."  That's my Marie, always givin' people encouragement.  "Jules is doing really well and I can tell that he's really bonded with you."

"Me wuv dada.  Dada wuvs me too.  Dada big.  Dada watch me."  Aw, little guy says that so serious. 

"That is correct, Jules."  Hank's a good guy.  "I love you very much."

"Food now?"  Heh.  Shoulda known Jules wouldn't forget 'bout that. 

"Comin' up, kid."






Ya know, I think this day went OK.  Nice lunch, more sightseein', nice dinner.  In any case, it's almost over.  Whew. 

"Thank you again for your hospitality.  I am most grateful for this chance to spend some time with you."  Xavier, sayin' goodbye.  Hank and Jules already said bye.  I gave Jules a big hug and so did Marie.  I don't think she'll hug Xavier, though.  You know, I think he came here thinkin' that they'd spend a coupla days together and make some big breakthrough.  He shoulda known this'd take some time to get settled. 

"I'm sorry.  About before, when I cried.  I'm sorry I got so emotional."

"I understand.  And I understand if you feel some discomfort with - with my lifestyle."

"Your lifestyle?"  What's he mean?  Lockin' people up and stuff?

"My, ah, sexual orientation."

"What gave you the idea that - oh!  Oh, no, I'm not uncomfortable with that.  I'm - I'm just uncomfortable that you were involved with Magneto, you know, a guy who tried to kill me.  That's pretty disconcerting even if he was different when you were with him.  I'm sorry, I know you probably cared for him, but - but it bothers me."

"Oh.  Well, that is certainly - certainly understandable."  He looks so damn relieved.  He was seriously thinkin' Marie didn't like him 'cause he's gay.  Just goes to show - he really don't know her as a person at all. 

"Look, I'm not - I kind of feel like we had sort of a rough time.  Would you - would you want to come back again, maybe after Christmas?  We, uh, got a little present for Jules and if he and Hank would like to come back too, that would be great, but just you would be fine too.  Maybe - maybe we could stay over until New Year's and see you in between the holidays."  That's who she is, and Xavier should be payin' some fuckin' attention here.  She's the kinda person who'd wanna try to be good to her dad even with all the crap he's done to her.  She wantsta make him feel better.  She's like, I dunno, empathy personified. 

Whoa.  I've been hangin' around Hank too long.

"I would very much like that, Marie."  Well, I'm not lookin' forward to it, but if Marie wantsta, fine.  I'll be here to look out for her. 

"Good.  Good, then.  Have a safe trip.  I'll see you at the end of the month."

"Thank you again.  And have a wonderful Christmas, Marie."

"Thanks.  Bye." All the tension went outta her as soon as she closed that door.  Shit, she's even slidin' down the door to sit on the floor.  She's wiped.  "I hope you don't mind me inviting him back.  I just - I felt like - I don't know.  I just wasn't happy with how it went and I thought maybe another visit would be OK.  You - what do you think?"

"I think that's fine."  Just gonna go sit beside her.  "It's up to you, how we go ahead with this.  As long as they don't try nothin', you gotta figure out what you need."

"Thanks."  Cuddlin' up to me.  She needs me now, and to tell the truth, I need her too, a lot.  Love her so much.  "You're really good to me."

"That's the plan."  Good - that got a little laugh.  "C'mon, darlin', I'm dyin' to go to bed with you.  This once a day sex thing - that ain't good.  I need you."  And that way, I can show her how much I love her.  I think that'll make her feel better. 

"I need you too."  I know you do, darlin', and I'm gonna take care of everythin' you need.  Especially since you're lookin' at me with that little twinkle in your eye.   "Come on, let's go."

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives