Unlucky Thirteen
Title:  Rule Number Thirteen:  Unlucky Thirteen
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG
Disclaimer:  I own Jules, Jane and Sari.  Mine, mine, mine!  I don't own Hank, but I bet I could lure him with some twinkies.
Archive:  WRFA, Mutual Admiration, and Peep Hut - everyone else please ask :)
Feedback:  Please!  Pretty please?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.........
Summary:  Sequel to Don't Make Mountains Out of Molehills.  Hank and Jules get lucky in this thirteenth installment.
Comments:  This isn't really a rule, but then again, this one isn't really a full-on story, just a little interlude.  I'm hoping to make Keli jealous and get her to agree to some NC-17age in the Hank in Love series, frankly :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------



"Dat Sari?" 

"I think so.  Shall we get the door?"  Jules has been very excited about this play date.  I think that perhaps Logan was right, perhaps letting him interact with children of his own age will be good.  And Sari and her mother were quite receptive to Jules.  I think all will go well.  I think Jules will have a pleasant time. 

"Yeah!"  His motor skills have recovered extremely well - the speed and agility with which he bound to the door is impressive.  He is actually now ahead of other children his age with regard to those abilities.  Of course, some of that is due to his mutation, but - "Hewwo!"

"Hi!"  Ah, it is Sari, and her mother.  Jane, I believe her name was.  The little girl favors her quite a bit. 

"Hello, Dr. McCoy, Jules.  Good to see you both."  I will be sure to talk with Jane a little more than we did at our initial meeting at the playground.  I am certain it will be beneficial to learn a little more about her and Sari, especially to probe their attitudes regarding mutants more deeply.  "Thanks for having us over."

"You are quite welcome.  Thank you for coming."  I do wish to be sure to be polite and welcoming to Jane - Jules quite likes Sari and she could turn into a regular playmate for him.  "Please do come in."

"It's a huge place.  You weren't kidding about living in a mansion, were you?"  Jane seems quite friendly.  Open, pleasant, attractive.  It makes one wonder why Sari's father is not in the picture. 

"No, I was not.  Would you like a brief tour?"

"Mom, can we play now?!"  How sweet - she's holding hands with Jules.  The two of them are grinning like - well, like two small children. 

"Dr. McCoy?"

"Please, call me Hank, Jane.  And yes, why don't I show you to our backyard?  I was thinking that the children might enjoy playing in the snow a bit and I see that Sari is dressed well for it.  We could undertake the tour later, if you wish."

"Do you have sleds, Dr. Mc-, Dr. Mc - Hank?"  She is an adorable child, really. 

"Yes, we have two, one for each of you if you like.  Let me show you the way."

"Fanks, dada!"  Yes, I do believe the play date was a good idea.  I think it will be fine, just fine. 






"So you're, like, a genius?" 

"Well, technically, yes, but I do not really think of myself as such."  It seems that Jane has had much the same thoughts as I on this play date - that we should spend a little time getting to know more about each other and our children.  She's actually been quite pleasant to converse with. 

"Inventing things, multiple doctoral degrees, an M.D. - I'd say you fit the bill."   

"Enough about me and my brilliance."  Ah, good, she understood that was meant facetiously.  I do believe I have successfully established a relaxed, easy dynamic with her.  Perhaps some deeper conversation is in order.  "Tell me a little more about yourself."  She's already been gracious enough to share with me the unfortunate story of her relationship with Sari's father - how men run out on their own children, that I will never understand - and a little about her job as an architect. 

"What would you like to know?"

"Oh, whatever you would like to share - your hobbies, interests, why the sight of blue-furred mutants doesn't send you screaming away from here as quickly as possible"  Good, she smiled at that.

"I have to say, I've never met anyone who had blue fur before you and Jules.  It's interesting.  And as a mom, I can really appreciate the beauty of having it - no need to spend money on all those layers of clothing that Sari's got to wear out there."  The children have been quite content to sled and build snow forts for nearly an hour now.  Jane is correct - Jules can play with only a light coat, and no hat or gloves.  Oh, I sent him out there well-bundled, but he has discarded most of the outer layers.  Still, there must be more underlying her attitudes than that.

"When we came to the playground, you were the only parent not to leave with your child.  I am sure you know that most people - their attitude toward the mutant phenomenon is mixed, at best."

"You want to make sure I'm not going to say or do something to hurt Jules."  She has a very direct way about her when she chooses to - those brown eyes locked right onto mine.  "I'm not worried about my kid playing with mutants, Hank.  Sari really likes Jules, and she's usually pretty shy around other kids.  I'm glad she's made a friend that she can play with, and I'd really like it to work out for her.  That's all."  She has quite a warm smile, even when she is 'down to business,' as it were.  Quite warm.  "Besides, you seem like a pretty good dad.  That's the most important thing.  I'd trust you to look out for my kid."

"I suppose that I simply wish to protect Jules from those who do not feel as you do.  I am glad he has found a friend in Sari, and I think we should - we should continue the play dates."    Yes, I think that's correct.  I think that is the right thing for Jules. 

"Well, I won't sugar-coat it for you, Hank, that sweet little girl can be a handful.  Sure, she's cute, but don't let those brunette curls and that sweet smile fool you.  She can be a holy terror when she wants to be."  Ah, it is somehow comforting to joke like this, to share common experiences with another parent. 

"Surely not."

"Mmmm.  She takes after me, I'm afraid.  Does Jules take after you more or his mother?"  Oh, dear.  I have avoided talking about this subject all afternoon.  How to explain it to Jane?

"Ah, me, I believe.  I - I did not know his mother."  I can understand why she is giving me that confused look.  Well, she might as well know the truth.  Or at least the short version of it.  "Jules was the product of an experiment.  I was captured, some time ago, by people who performed clandestine mutant experiments, and he was, ah, the product of that experience.  I have only found him recently, a few months ago.  I was unaware of his existence until then." 

"Oh my goodness, that's awful!"  Ah - hand.  Jane is - Jane put her hand atop mine.  Atop my blue, furry, clawed hand.  "I'm so sorry to hear that.  It must be very hard for you, to become a parent so suddenly, and like that."

"Yes, well, ah, yes."  She looks genuinely sympathetic, genuinely caring.  And there's still the matter of her hand

"Is Jules all right?  I mean, I've only heard stories of what some people have done to mutants, but I never imagined that anything like this was going on.  They didn't - they didn't do anything bad to Jules, did they?"

"I do not know." 

"Oh, Hank, I'm so sorry.  No wonder - no wonder you're worried about protecting him from people who might have a bad reaction.  I think I'd want to just keep Sari right by my side all the time and never, ever let anything even a little bit bad ever happen to her again."  One last squeeze of my hand and - yes, she's going to lean back in her chair now. 

"That is just how I feel.  But I realize that Jules - he needs to learn to deal with those issues.  They won't go away."  So odd, her reaction.  Quite sympathetic, and it made me feel somewhat - somewhat comforted. 

"Well, you're right about that, unfortunately.  But you seem like you're doing a great job, you know, for being pretty much an instant dad."

"Thank you. I - I - thank you."  For some reason, that endorsement from another parent - a parent who is seemingly doing a good job herself - is deeply touching. 

"I mean it.  Jules is a great kid, you can just tell."  Another brief squeeze of my hand.  "I'm glad he made friends with us."

"Yes.  I am glad as well."  Perhaps I will squeeze her hand back.  Yes, that was the correct procedure.  She is smiling.  Perhaps Jules is not the only one who has made a new friend. 

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives