Murphy's Law
Title: Rule Number Fifteen: Murphy's Law
Author: Terri
E-mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: R, adult themes
Disclaimer: I don't own them, except for Jack, Jules, Sari, and Jane.  And I'm keeping them - nanananana, Marvel  ;)
Archive: WRFA, Dolphin Haven, Mutual Admiration, Peep Hut - all others, please ask :)
Feedback: Please? Pretty Please?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome, but be forewarned that flames will be publicly mocked ;)
Summary: Sequel to The More, The Merrier.  Logan and Marie get a respite from Murphy's Law for a while; Hank and Jules don't quite fare as well.
Comments: This one took a little bit of a different bent than originally intended due to a conversation on DDFH that started me thinking about looking at everything through a positive or negative lens.  It's kind of a little interlude in the series where the characters just live life a little, without a lot of action or family dynamics.  Back to those in our next regularly scheduled installment............

-------------------------------------------------------------------


"So, whaddya think?"  Logan's back from the second hand store again.  We've been using most of the money we have left to buy furniture for our new apartment.  We decided to go ahead and do New Year's here instead of the Professor's - my father's - cabin since we found this place so quickly.  We had most of our stuff moved in by New Year's Eve, actually - the landlord was nice enough to let us in a few days early for free.  You know, we really got lucky here - a huge loft for not a lot of money, close to town and everything.  It's only been a week, but I really like it here a lot already.  It feels like a home.  "Marie?"

"Oh. Sorry.  Thinking."  My brain's gotten so scattered since I got pregnant.  I don't know if it's the hormones or the telepathy kicking in or what, but I just can't keep a train of thought on the track for more than five seconds lately.  "They're all great finds, I say we keep them all."  Logan's actually been doing great at finding us furniture that's not too expensive and not too worn.  OK, none of it matches, but it all looks sturdy.

"I think so too.  Told the guy we probably wouldn't be bringin' anythin' back to return."  It's so sweet how he's gotten my approval for each little piece of furniture. 

"Do you think we need anything else?  I think this just about does it."  We've got all the basics - sofa, bed, table and chairs for the kitchen - and even a few odds and ends - the dresser Logan brought back today, some extra chairs, an end table. 

"Yeah, me too."  Look at him smiling - he's so proud of finding this place and then finding all the furniture - he's definitely a hunter, my man.  "We even got a little money left over.  We can get more food if you wanna."

"I think we're good for now.  Another payment from Remy should be coming sometime this week - he said the note cards I did were selling really well.  I think we should probably just hang on to the extra, you know, just in case."  Oh-oh.  There goes the smile.  I know he's upset he hasn't found a job yet, but he will.  He's a strong man and a good worker.  He'll find something soon.

"I stopped in at the job center again.  They had somethin' part-time in Canmore - construction, just general workin', I guess.  I'm gonna go and talk to the guy tomorrow.  Maybe that - maybe that'll come through."

"Hey, come here." I just really wish he wouldn't get so nervous about the money.  "We'll be OK.  If worst comes to worst, we can live on my income.  This place - you found such a great place for so little money, that we can get by for a while on the money from the paintings.  At least until the baby comes."

"Yeah, I know.  It's my job to take care of you, though.  I'm the guy.  And the dad.  And we can't - yeah, we can live on your money, but we can't get everythin' you and the baby are gonna need.  I wantcha to have it good, Marie."

"It's not my money, it's our money, remember?  One pot of money."  If he didn't look so darn cute when he frowns, I'd be a lot sadder right now.  "You're going to find a job.  It's just taking a little while, and sometimes that happens.  I mean, you're looking for something a little more than day labor, so it's going to take longer.  You've only been looking for a few days.  You'll find something, I know it."

"I keep sayin' I'm gonna take care of you, though, and I keep - things keep happenin' and then I don't end up gettin' a job.  It's time.  We gotta pay for this place now, and we gotta make sure you and the baby have enough food and are warm and have a lotta nice things and - "

"We've got you.  The baby and I have you and that's what we really need - someone we love a lot and someone that's very, very, good to us both.  That's you."  That cheered him up a little.  Maybe another hug and a change of subject will put his worries to rest tonight.  God, please let that job come through for him tomorrow.  He'll feel so much better once he just has a job. 








This guy smells kinda weird.  Sorta like he's pissed but not really.  It's gotten a little better since we started talkin', but it's a weird smell.  I hope I wouldn't hafta be workin' too close to him too much.

"So, ah, Logan, you've had some previous construction experience in Minnesota?"

"Yeah.  Mostly haulin' stuff, liftin' stuff, just doin' whatever needed to be done."  Can't really tell if he likes me for the work or what.  I called and they said come right over to talk to the guy, so they must need somebody in here pretty quick.  When I first walked in, I could tell he was probably thinkin' I looked pretty strong.  That's gotta be good, right?

"Well, I like that team player attitude." 

"Uh, yeah."  Maybe he is kinda thinkin' 'bout givin' me the job, 'cause he smiled a little when he said that. 

"Let me ask you a few more questions - what kind of work experience are you looking for?"

I dunno what the right answer to that one is.  Shit, I shoulda taken Marie up on that offer to practice one of these interview things.  "I really dunno.  I mean, I'm lookin' for a job that pays OK so I can support my woman.  We got a kid comin'."

"Oh, well, congratulations, then."  I guess that was an OK answer.  "And I understand - I got into construction just out of high school, and only because I had no idea what else I wanted to do."  Despite the weird smell, he seems like an OK guy.  What was his name again - oh yeah, Jack. 


"I could do any kinda stuff you put me to.  I learn pretty quick."  That's what Marie always says. 

"That's another good quality.  How would you feel about apprenticing?"

"Apprenticin'?"  Shit, I really shoulda practiced with Marie or somethin'.  I didn't know they were gonna ask me all these complicated questions.

"Apprenticing.  It's learning a trade, like being an electrician or plumber, from someone in the union who's been doing the job for a while.  We've got a part-time slot open, but we're looking to develop a carpentry apprentice for full-time work down the road."

"Carpentry?  Hmmm.  That sounds OK.  I kinda would like to learn buildin'.  I dunno 'bout the full-time stuff though.  I don't like to be away from home too much."  Especially not when the baby comes out.  Marie's gonna need help, and then I'm gonna have two people to look out for.

"Well, it's a flexible schedule, and, besides, it wouldn't be until you'd completed the apprenticeship and that takes a few years."  Hmph.  He must kinda like me for the work 'cause he sounds a little like he's tryin' to convince me. 

"Well, OK, then.  I could do that."

"What kind of schedule would you be available for now?  We've got about twenty-two hours a week of work now - it'll pick up in the summer, usually to about thirty-six or thirty-eight."

"I think anythin' would be pretty much OK now.  When the baby comes, I dunno."

"When is it due?"  Yeah, he is likin' me for the work.  Takin' an interest in that - means he's figurin' when I'll be able to do stuff and that means he likes me for this job.

"Marie says August."

"Well, you've got some time to try us out, then.  The pay's $20 an hour, but there's no benefits for part-timers.  Retirement and all that kicks in if you wind up working full-time for more than half the year."  Sounds good.  "What do you think?"

"Yeah.  I think yeah."

"Well, welcome aboard, then.  If you have some time, I'll show you around and introduce you to some of the guys.  You can come by Monday morning to start.  How's that?"

"Great.  That's - that's great."  I got a job.  I got a job! 






"So I start Monday and he said six weeks to kinda try me out before puttin' me in that apprentice thing and then I'll be learnin' carpentry on the job.  I met the guy who'd be teachin' me and he seems real nice, real down to earth.  Old guy, though - Jack's uncle or somethin' - so I'm thinkin' that's probably why they're lookin' for somebody to take over for him in a few years.  He said once I learn it, I take some exam and do a project and then it'll be my job to start teachin' other people."

"I knew you'd find a job, I just knew it."  Look at her, all smiles now, real excited.  Things are gonna be a lot better now that we got a place to stay and now that I can be the one workin' to support us. 

"It's gonna be money, Marie, and lots of it.  I added it up and I'll be bringin' in like $1700 a month.  We're gonna be able to buy a lotta food and a lotta stuff.  We're gonna have it real good now."  She'll be bringin' in that much or more with her paintin' and we're gonna be able to live in a buildin', not a car, and have stuff for us and the kid.  It's never gonna go hungry and it's never gonna be cold 'cause we can't pay for heat or somethin'.  It's gonna have a lot better life than me or Marie did.  We're gonna have money to see to that.

"They'll take some out for taxes, but - but that's really good!  I just knew you'd find a great job, just like you found this great apartment, just like you do just about everything right." 

Wait a second.  "Whaddya mean, taxes?" 

"About 30% will be taken out for taxes, but - "

"Aw, shit!"  I didn't know that.  I shoulda looked for a job that paid better.  Fuck. 

"It's OK - that's still a lot of money, Logan, and they might give you a raise later on too.  It's OK.  Twenty dollars an hour - that's a really well-paid job."  I guess.  I mean, Marie knows more about this kinda stuff than I do.  But, dammit, I don't wanna give money for taxes.  I got Marie and a kid on the way - they should get all the money from me workin'.  "Hey - I'm really glad you got this job.  I think it's going to work out well for us and it'll give you a chance to learn carpentry.  I think you'll like that a lot.  You're already good at working with wood - look at the blocks and the paintbrushes you made.  I think this job is a great fit for you."

"Those things don't matter to me that much, darlin'.  I gotta make money to take care of ya and I can't be away from ya too much.  That's the important stuff."

"And this job will be good that way too - it's not too many hours and the pay is good."  She looks really, really happy just now.  The way she's rubbin' my arms and lookin' up at me with that gorgeous face - it makes me remember how much she loves me.  She really, really does.  She's all happy for me with this job news.  She never said anythin' like - thank God you got a job, now me and the kid won't starve.  She's just smilin' at me, all glad that I get to learn to build stuff and that the job's good.  I got a good woman. 

"You're right, darlin'.  We caught some good breaks here with the job and the place to live.  We're doin' OK."  And we are - I think we really are.





He's almost here - just parking the jeep down below.  I'd better hurry and finish up.  I hope he likes the surprise - I just felt like I had to do something in honor of his first day of work.  Pizza, beer (none for me), and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies ought to do it.  Well, that, plus me in a flimsy little nightie that I splurged on in town today.

"Hey, darlin', I'm back. I hadta - "  Heh.  He just caught sight of me.   "Whoa.  You look good."

"Thanks."   He looks so cute, just standing in the doorway, staring at me.  "Want to shut the door?  I made a pizza for dinner and I got you some beer.  I thought we could celebrate."

"Celebrate?"

"Uh-huh.  Celebrate the successful completion of your first full day of work." 

Loveyouproudofyouhappyforyou

"Sorry - that leaked out."  Have to try to control my brain a little.  You know, it occurs to me that it would be really handy to have, oh, say a parent with the whole telepathy mutation thing down so that they could help me out here.  You know, a parent you could actually trust.  What a concept.

"Hey, it's OK.  I toldya, those're nice when you do 'em.  It's OK.  Don't get sad, darlin'." 

"I'm OK."  Suck it up, Rogue, this is supposed to be his night, a happy night.  "It's the hormones."  I'll just hug him a little bit.  That always makes me feel better.

"How's the baby doin'?"  He asks that a lot now.  I don't think I can really feel it doing anything, but somewhere in my head, I can feel it - it's faint, but it's there.  I can feel another life inside me. 

"Good, I think."  Just a little more hugging.  There.  "Come on, dinner's getting cold." 

"Aw, it's just how I like it - lotsa meat.  Thanks, darlin'."  When you've seen your man bring down a bear with his claws, it's not hard to guess that he might be a tad on the carnivorous side.

"So how did your first day go?  Tell me everything."  I can already tell it went well - he's smiling.

"Well, I filled out a buncha papers and forms and shit, and didn't get to the actual workin' for a while, but that's OK, 'cause Jack said I'd get paid for the time I spent doin' the papers.  Felt good to work, you know?  Even if it's not like day labor where you get the money at the end of the day, right away, it's good to know you're doin' somethin' to make money."

"What did they have you do?"

"First, I bundled up some roofin' - lemme tell ya, that shit's heavy.  Then, I was put to stackin' wood.  Did that mosta the rest of the day.  Wasn't bad - felt good to be movin' around, and Jack came by at the end of the day to say I was doin' good.  That was nice."

"I knew you'd do really well." 

"Jack said paycheck won't be comin' for a coupla weeks.  We, uh, we gotta get a bank so we can cash the check and all." 

"I can take care of that."

"Hey, Marie - "  Oh-oh.  Potential trouble spot.  Something's on his mind.  "I was talkin' to some of the other guys workin' there today, you know, and I just wanna tell ya - I'm real happy with you, you know?"

"Logan?"  That's nice to hear, but he still looks bothered. 

"Well, all they were talkin' 'bout when it came to their wives and girlfriends was how they didn't like this or that or how they weren't happy 'bout havin' kids or how all the wife did was spend their money or cheat on 'em or somethin'.  I can't imagine what it'd be like if I was hooked up with somebody who was like that.  I'm happy I got you."

"That's the sweetest thing you've ever said to me, you know that?"  I'm going to cry.  A lot.  I can't help it.  Hormones.  "I'm not - I put you through a lot, and to have you think that way about me, I - I - "  Oh-oh.  Tears and lots of them. 

"It's OK.  It's OK."  I think Logan's beginning to understand - at first, he was always very worried when I cried, but now, he just holds my hand and lets me let it out.  I think he knows it's just an emotional swing and not a problem. 

"Sorry."

"It's OK.  I just wantcha to know, you know?  You say nice stuff all the time, outta the blue.  That was mine." 

Loveyouloveyouloveyouwantyousomuch

"Now, baby?" 


"I didn't mean to let that out - I - I thought we'd have a nice dinner and then we could - "

Nowyesnowyesnow!

"Hmph.  Shut up, brain.  I can wait, really, Logan, I - "

Right now!

"It's all right, darlin'.  We can reheat the pizza in the oven.  Come on, baby."

"I'm really sorry.  Really, we can wait."

"I don't wanna wait either."  Oh my, he sure doesn't.  I know that look in his eye.  You know, I think there could be some very creative uses for this telepathy thing.  







She's really gettin' sexier since she got pregnant.  Growls and bein' kinda grabby and wantin' to go at it all the time - no complaints, mind you, but it's a definite change.  A change for the better.  We've had a lotta those lately, a lotta good luck.  You know, mosta my life, at least what I can remember, that sayin' - whatever can go wrong, will - that fit pretty good.  But, since I hooked up with Marie, it's been pretty much the reverse.  Especially lately.  I mean, we hadta find a place to live that we could afford.  Boom --third place we looked at was here -  lotta open space, brick walls and, sure, it's on the top floor of a warehouse, but it's really cheap and plenty of space for us.  We got lucky - none of the other places we looked were half this big or this nice. 

And the job too - saw the ad at the job center, called, and boom - they hire me just like that.  Good guys to work with and it's not only a pretty good job, it's a chance to learn a trade, a chance to get an even better job and more money to support Marie and our kid down the line.  Got lucky there too. 

People, they always look at the negative in things, and I understand why.  Negative shit catches your attention more --it's usually more jarrin', and it makes a reaction in you that you can't ignore.  That's probably where that whole sayin' came from in the first place - but it ain't the whole picture.  You gotta look at the positive things too.  It's like that picture of me Marie did as a Christmas present - you could tell she was lookin' at me and seein' only the good.   Sometimes life does hand ya good stuff.  But you gotta be on the lookout.  If you're too busy lookin' at the bad stuff, well, you might not notice it when somethin' good comes along.  I often think - what if I wouldnta stuck with Marie?  What if she never stopped to pick me up?  I got a lotta good things in my life by just hangin' on to 'em when they happened to go by. 


"MmmmI fell asleep."

"Yeah."  No wonder - that was a really wild one.  Heh.  Her brain sure wasn't lyin' when it said she wanted it right away.  The little things she sent through while we were doin' it - mostly how much she enjoys bein' with me, doin' the physical parts, but all this love too - that was real good.  "I'm gonna go get us some pizza, OK?   Dinner in bed."

"Don't be gone long"  From that sexy smile?  Oh, no way, darlin'.







"Once again, my utmost apologies."  My stars, talk about a disaster.  Surely, this is a sign from the heavens that I am truly not meant to date. 

"It's OK, Hank, just - just - could you hand me that towel?"

"Certainly.  Certainly."  I must compliment Jane on her forbearance.  She has been quite polite despite the series of calamities she has endured.  After all, a flat tire, then a car accident (not ours, thank goodness, but one at which I felt compelled to stop and offer medical aid), the scene at the restaurant when the waitstaff refused service to me because I was a mutant, and now, the crisis with the children - I ask the heavens above, what else could have possibly befallen us?

"Uh, hi.  Jane?"  Oh dear God, it's Bobby.  It's Bobby and he's wearing his 'I have seriously bad news face.'  Will I never learn to refrain from tempting fate with my thoughts?  "You remember your car?"

"Yes."

"Remember how it was parked over by the basketball court?"  What could possibly have happened to - oh.  Oh. 

"*Was* parked?" 

"Yeah.  See, when the plane comes in, the court opens up like a hanger, and well, your car kind of slid in and fell.  Scott really should've been looking before he pressed the button to open the doors, but - well, he wasn't.  Oh, don't worry - your car missed the blackbird - but - but it's pretty much totaled.  Sorry.  Uh, bye then.  I'll, ah, leave you two alone."  I give Bobby a great deal of credit.  He certainly knows when to make an exit.  I don't suppose that my fleeing the mansion at as great a speed as possible would be quite appropriate at the moment, though.  Perhaps another apology would be better.


"Jane, I am very, very sorry.  I - I - honestly do not know what to say.  I am certain that the Professor will reimburse you for your losses.  I - I apologize."

"It's not your fault, Hank."  Oh, but it is.  The universe is punishing me for daring to have dated.  One date - one date in my entire life, and it could not have been more calamitous - poor Jane was simply caught in the wake of my tremendously bad karma.

Upon leaving the restaurant, we were contacted by Jean - it seems that the Jubilee, who we had left in charge of Jules and Sari, had somehow frightened Jules.  He clawed at Jubilee, grabbed Sari under one arm, and barricaded himself in our suite.  Poor Sari was terrified, and had no idea what had transpired - in fact, I still do not know what triggered Jules' behavior, but I can only assume it was something that surfaced a particularly disturbing memory from his time in the lab - and we had to literally break down the door to get to them.  Jules did calm considerably upon seeing me, but, unfortunately, not before his panicked scrambling had knocked over a lamp, which then quite abruptly caught fire, and triggered the activation of the sprinkler system on the third floor.  I too, am soaked from head to toe, but the least I can do is offer our entire towel supply to Jane. 

"Would you like another towel?"

"Thanks.  I'm just going to take a peek at the kids."  After dealing with the fire, and the water, I was able to calm Jules, and Jane was able to do so with Sari as well.  They have both been playing rather quietly for the past few minutes in Jules' somewhat waterlogged room.  "They seem to be doing just fine."   

"Uh, Hankster?"  Jubilee.  Finally.  Never, ever again will I allow this walking mass of irresponsibility near my child, but I very much wish to know what triggered Jules' outburst.   Then, once Jubilee has provided that information, I will immediately set to work on developing some horrible disease that I can inflict upon her.  Yes, that will do.  "El jefe said you wanted to see me?"

"Yes, yes I do, Jubilee.  I wish to talk to you about Jules."

"Look, dude - that was totally not my fault.  I told Jean as soon as the little guy bolted and I totally got scratched - I didn't just let him split!"

"Indeed.  But what I wish to know is what happened immediately prior to his, as you so colorfully put it, 'splitting.'"  I vow, if she cracks her gum and looks at me blankly, I shall -

"Oh.  I'm really, really sorry, but I didn't know it would make him freak, honest.  We were playing hide and seek, and Jules, you know, he usually likes that game.  He's totally awesome at it too - I can never usually find him.  He's like, the master-hider of hide and seek.  Like the super- hider.  Like - "

"Jubilee."  My patience is at an end.  As Jubilee herself would put it, I have but one nerve left, and she is dancing all over it.

"Right.  Sorry.  It was Sari's turn to hide, and she crawled into that trunk we have in the TV room.  Jules and I - we could hear her giggling.  But instead of opening the lid and letting her know we found her, I thought it would be kinda funny to lock the lid and pound on it a little - just to scare her for fun, just for a second.  Well, Jules kinda freaked - he threw the lid off, just broke the lock, and totally snarled and clawed at me to keep me away.  I didn't know the little guy would spazz, honest."  She appears to be genuinely contrite.  Nonetheless

"Thank you, Jubilee.  Good evening." 

"Tell him I'm sorry, OK?"

"Good night, Jubilee."  Perhaps that was a little sterner than absolutely necessary.  But honestly, she should have known better and at least now she is going.

"Hank, she's just a kid.  Sure, she's a very brightly-dressed, somewhat annoying kid, but she's just a kid.  I'm sure she feels awful."

"So does Jules."  Oh, wonderful, Hank.  Start snapping at Jane.  That will be sure to even further endear her to you after all that has happened. 

"I know.  Sari was upset too.  But they're OK.  They're in one piece, and they're doing OK now."  You know, it is truly a shame that we will no longer be seeing one another.  I very much enjoyed Jane's company.  And, even soaking wet, with her hair all plastered to her face and her makeup all runny, she is quite attractive.  "Look, I know it's been kind of a bad night, but at least the disasters seem to be slowing down."

"I am so sorry, Jane."  A shrug?  She's responding to that with a shrug.

"These things happen.   Besides, it wasn't so bad - I'm OK, you're OK, the kids are OK - that's the important stuff.  Cars and hairdos - well, they can be fixed."  And now she's smiling.  It's a genuine smile too - how does she do that?  "Besides, look at it this way - we'll never forget our first date."

"Or our last."  Confusion - she's confused.  You are not making sense, Henry.  Try to at least make some sense.  "I meant since this is also our last date, we shall remember it."

"Oh.  I, ah, understand if you don't want to go out again, but I wasn't - I wasn't really ruling another date out.  I mean, it's all uphill from here, right?" 

"You would be willing to go on another date?  With - with me?"

"Well, sure.  What's the worst that could happen?  Wait - wait - don't answer that.  Maybe we should just find out for ourselves.."  Laughing - she is even laughing a little now. 


"If - if you would be willing to venture another date, I - I would like that."  Maybe this is all some kind of absurd hallucination, brought on by the fire extinguisher fumes.  Maybe this is -

"Good.  But Hank - "  Sitting - sitting - Jane is sitting next to me on the bed.  On the *bed*.  "Next time, let's get someone else to babysit?"  Her eyes - they are suddenly quite - quite sparkly, even warm or - or glowy, perhaps.

"Absolutely.  Absolutely, positively."  Leaning - she is leaning now, toward me.  Oh.  Oh.  A kiss.  A kiss.  I've been kissed.  Right on the lips.  A kiss and then that wonderful look she's giving me just now.

"I think - I think I'd better collect Sari."  Jane looks exceptionally beautiful soaking wet and blushing.  I must note that for future reference.  "Could you give us a ride home?  We can sort everything else out tomorrow, OK?"

"Yes.  And Jane - thank you.  Thank you for a wonderful evening."









"And now, you are all tucked in.  Good night, Jules."  I will be glad to put an end to this night.  Jane is right - tomorrow is another day.  But first, we must lay to rest the disaster of a day this has been. 

"Dada?" 

"Yes?"

"Dada mad?"  Oh, dear.  I was hoping to postpone a talk until tomorrow.  We are all exhausted and Jules had seemed to have recovered from his earlier fright well.  Perhaps not as well as I had thought, though.

"No, I am not mad."

"But - dada mad."  That fearful little frown and those big, teary yellow eyes are just about enough to break a father's heart.

"Well, yes.  You are correct.  I was angry, but not at you.  I was angry at the situation, at Jubilee, and at things that had happened earlier in the evening.  I was very frustrated, but I was not mad at you."

"Me bad."  Oh dear, he really is shaken.  "Me vewy bad.  Punish me?"  He is even reverting back to more childish behavior and speech - he's even pulling up the edge of his blankets to hide behind a little. 

"No, no, Jules.  I shall never hurt you, I promise.  You were not bad.  You were not bad at all.  Even if I was angry at something, even if I was ever angry with you, I would not hurt you.  I love you very much, Jules, no matter what."  I am not sure if I should hug him or if that might scare him a little.  There is no guidebook for this, no 'What to Expect When Your Child Has Been Horribly Abused' handbook.  I usually can make an educated guess, but I still -

"No punish me, dada, no."  I think he wants to believe me, but he is still a little frightened. I can hardly blame him, given his past experiences.  My God, if I ever get my hands on the people who tortured him at that lab, I do not know how I would be able to restrain myself from ripping them apart with my bare hands.  And claws.  And fangs.  But Jules needs my love now, not my anger and desire for vengeance.

"Of course not.  You are my most precious son.  I shall never harm you."

"Dada big.  Me small.  Dada mad."

"Yes, I understand, but just because I am angry at something, and larger than you, it does not mean that I will hurt you.  That is not how it works, not anymore.  I promise you that, Jules."  Ah, yes, there.  That's it.  Come over to me, Jules, please.

"Sowwy.  Sowwy."  Ah, yes, there.  All is not lost, my son can still allow me to hold him in my arms.  "Sowwy dada."

"It's all right, my son.  It's all right.  Everything is fine.  You are safe.  I shall never allow you to be hurt, Jules, and I shall never hurt you.  I am your father, and I will always, always love you."

"Wuv you, dada.  No punish me."  How confusing it must have been for him - to be surrounded by people intent on hurting him, with no one to love him.  It is no small wonder that he is still unsure, even now. 

"No, no, of course not."

"Me - me - hmph." 

"It is all right, Jules.  You are safe.  You can tell me, whatever it is.  You have my promise that I shall not get mad and I shall not hurt you."

"Me keep Sari safe.  Me no let her get put in gwound still awive.  Not wike other kids.  No, no, not Sari."  Oh dear God.  Dear God in heaven.  Burying people - *children* - alive.  They were burying children alive.  "Sari OK now.  No box.  No box for her.  No."

"No.  She - she is fine now."

"Sowwy me bad.  Me claw.  But no box for Sari.  Her not go in gwound.  No."  Is there any torment which my son has managed to escape?  Has every possible torture befallen this poor child so early in life?  "Fwiend.  Sari my fwiend."

"That's right.  She is your friend, and I know you want to protect her.  You are - you are very brave, Jules." 

"Dada sad?  Dada cwy."

"Yes, I am crying.  I am sad.  I am sad that you had to go through all of that, Jules.  I want - I want you to know that I - I will never permit anything like that to happen ever again.  Had I known."

"Don't cwy, dada.  Eveyfing OK.  Dada big."

"Thank you, Jules."  My own son should be a lesson to me.  Here he is, having been through so much pain, so much trauma, having seen so much of the awful things in life, the depths to which people are capable of sinking, and he is still compassionate, still brave, still loving.  Even when everything in his short life has gone wrong, he still manages to do right.  "Would you like to sleep in bed with me tonight?  I think that might be nice, don't you?"

"Yeah!" 

"Let's go, then.  I shall tuck you in again."  And this time, we will both get some rest and some peace.

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives