Never Turn Your Back on an Enemy
Title:  Rule Number Six:  Never Turn Your Back on an Enemy
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  R, violence
Disclaimer:  I don't own them.  Rats.
Archive:  Ask, and I will gladly provide.
Feedback:  Please?  With a cherry on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome..
Summary:  Sequel to Don't Talk to Strangers.  Logan and Marie get in trouble and it's the x-men to the rescue.  But they're not so sure whether Marie's a friend or foe.
Comments:  This is dedicated to Lateo, who has given me many excellent plot bunnies that are still chasing themselves around in my head and multiplying, but who has also kept my nose to the grindstone with this series :)  Not that I am undisciplined, or easily sidetracked.  Oh no, not me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Shit.  Shit!  Where the hell am I?  Strapped down to somethin'?  What the fuck?! 

"He's conscious."

"Doesn't matter.  Those restraints were constructed especially to hold him.  They won't fail this time.  There's no danger."

It's gotta be another nightmare, gotta be. Except this ain't the usual lab.  Those ain't the usual doctors.  Fuck - think, Logan, think.

"Are you sure?  I mean, his - "

"I'm sure."

It ain't the usual lab.  And I'm not - I'm not ever tied down quite like this in the nightmares.  Fuck, I don't think it's a dream.  I don't think it is - the fuckers got me again.  Think - I gotta think and remember what happened.

"Those are the other enhancements?"

"Yes.  Last time around, they only got to the claws before the lab was raided."

"And what if we get raided?"

"Nobody knows we're out here.  Don't get paranoid.  Neither one of them are telepathic."

What?  Oh - oh, shit.  Oh, shit, I remember now - they were - we were  - they came up on us and ran us off the road.  Wrecked the Jeep, but we both got out.  Started fightin' and then they shot me with some kinda tranquilizer.  Shit.  I told Marie to run, but they musta got her too.  They're not - they're not gonna fuckin' hurt her, no way!

"MMMMRRRRRR!"

"Shit!"

"He can't move.  Calm down."

At least I fuckin' remember.  At least they didn't take that away, not yet, the fuckers.  Marie.  MarieMarieMarie.  Got to remember Marie.  Got to get outta this and help her.  God only knows what the fuck they're doin' to her.  Gotta help her.  Right now.

"I-is he supposed to be able to get the claws out like that?"

"Uh."

"GRRRRR!!!"   I am gonna get both of you fuckers - I'm gonna  -

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"That's the security alarm - someone must've found us!"

"Don't panic, I'm sure it's just - shit."

"GRRRAAAAHHHH!"  Free!  I got an arm free!  You're dead now, asshole.

"H-he's -  " 

"There *is* a breach.  On the east side.  Dammit!  How the hell did they find us this quick?  Evacuate - we've got to evacuate."

"What - what about him?"

"Leave him, take the girl."

"No!  You fuckers!"  Almost out - one more leg - almost out. 

"Go - get her and run - go!"  Oh no you don't, asshole.  No you don't - I'm faster than you even all fucked up and drugged.  You're not gonna make it to that door.  No.  Fuckin'.  Way.  "Aaahh!"  One down.  One still alive to help me find her.

"You - where is she?"

"You - you - you cut him in half!"  Guess I did.  Bastard didn't deserve to get offed that quick.  Shoulda made him suffer.  But I gotta get to Marie now.  I gotta get to her fast. 

"I'm gonna cut you up a helluva lot slower if you don't tell me where she is!"  Need a little swipe to the gut to help convince ya?  I'm happy to oblige.

"Aaaah!  Aaaah!"

"Where the fuck is she?"

"Down - down the hall. F-first room on your l-left."  I got him pretty good.  If he's lyin', I'll come back, but I don't think so.  Gotta go.  Gotta find Marie.  Can already hear fightin'.  Gotta get her, gotta go.

First room on the left - here.  Oh.  Oh, God, no.  Oh, God, Marie.  Oh, God.

"Mmmph!"

They - they fuckin' tied her down and gagged her.  Naked.  They left her fuckin naked and they musta been cuttin' on her skin.  She's bleedin' from the leg - oh, God, Marie.  "Hang on.  I'm gonna get you outta here."

"Mmmph!"  She's fuckin' terrified.  Good God, baby, why didn't you just run away?

"Hang on, I - "  Wait.  Wait.  I smell somethin'.  And she's - she's not just scared, she's movin' her head to the right, makin' a little motion - tryin' to tell me somethin'.  I -

"Ooomph!"  Goddammit - that was a bullet!  Fuckin' right to my chest.  Shit, that hurts. 

"MMMMMMM!!!"  Gotta help Marie.  Can't black out now.  Can't.  Gotta help Marie.

"Just stay down, Wolverine - I'm getting out of here with the girl.  Just stay down and I won't blow a hole through your head."  Must be the head asshole.  He just looks that way.  Well, there's no way in hell he's goin' anywhere with Marie, even if half my lung is layin' on the floor.  I heal.  I don't give a shit.  "I mean it - I'll scramble your brains again, I've done it before." 

You?  You did that?  "'RRRRRRRAAAAAGGHGHGH!!!"  Die!  Die!!

"Aaaah!"    DieDieDie!!! 

"Mmmph!" 

I'm gonna rip you to fuckin' shreds, you goddamn -

"Mmmmph!!" 

- motherfucker!  You sick bastard.  I'm gonna leave nothin' but mush and you're gonna suffer, you're gonna suffer -

"Mmmmph!!!!!!"

Shit - Marie!  Forgot about Marie and I - oh, God, she saw me rip him up.  There's - there's nothin' left.  Nothin'.  He's - is that his eyeball?

"MMMPHHHH!!"  Marie - right, Marie.  Shit, we gotta get outta here.

"Hang on - I'm - I'm sorry about that.  I - just hang on."  Gonna cut the ties and get the gag out.  I don't got gloves on, so I gotta be careful and her leg - she's bleedin' a lot, too much. 

"Oh, Logan!  A-are you all right?"  She's in bad shape.  Real bad.  Fuck.  Gotta get her to help. 

"I'm OK.  Listen to me, Marie.  You're hurt and I gotta - I gotta - you need help.  We gotta get outta here."  But even as I'm sayin that, I don't think I can move her.  There's all this blood, too much blood comin' from her leg, and she's bruised all over and scratched.  She fought 'em.  She was tryin' to fight 'em off, I can tell by the scratches.

"Get - see that gauze over there?  Get it.  They - they peeled off a section of skin and I think they nicked a vein or something because I kept wiggling around.  God, why the hell they didn't just knock me out I don't know." 

Got it.  Got it.  I gotta - my heart's racin' - I gotta stay calm and help her.  But I can't lose her.  I can't.  And I dunno what to do to get us outta this.  "Marie?" 

"Can you - help me wrap up my leg."  OK.  I can do that.  Got it.  "Tight." 

"I don't wanna hurt ya any worse.  God, Marie, I - "

"It's OK, we can't worry about it now.  Tighter.  It'll help stop the blood and I might be able to walk on it." 

BOOM

"Who is it - who's fighting them?"

"I dunno."  Just gotta wrap it and the bleedin' will stop.  She said it'll stop the bleedin'.  Don't think, just keep wrappin' her leg.  Don't think.  Don't panic.  Keep wrappin'.

"We've got to get out of here, Logan."

"I know."  Almost done.  Almost.  "Do you know where we're at?"

"No - you don't either?  Crap."  OK, done.  Done.  She's still bleedin' and -   "OK.  That's - thanks, Logan.  Thanks. We've gotta go, OK?"  She's grabbin' a sheet to wrap herself up in.  She's right - we gotta go. 

"Lemme get you.  I can carry you."  She's not gonna get far on that leg, and she's still bleedin'. Oh, God, she's still bleedin'.  "I gotcha."  Gotta take one look at her, just one look 'cause we might not make it outta here.  So beautiful.  At least I had somethin' beautiful once, for a while.

"Let's go."  Right.  Down the hall.  Turn here. Away from the fightin'.  Gotta be a way outta here.  Gotta -

"Hey!  Stop!"   Fuck.  Fuck!  "Wait!  We're here to help you!  We're the x-men!"

"Logan, it's Scott - it's Scott.  Stop, it's Scott." 

"Rogue?" 

"Yeah, I - Scott!!!"  Shit!  Shooter - behind him - got him in the back.   Dammit!  Gotta put Marie down and -

"Aaah!"  Fucker shot her!  He shot her! 

"You motherfucker!!"  Smirkin' at me.  This bastard has the gall to smirk at me after he fuckin' shot Marie!  Go on ahead, asshole, shoot me too - see what good it does ya. 

"Fuck!  Fuck!"  Yeah, life's a bitch when you're gun jams up like that. "Fu -"  Head off.  No more talkin'. 

"Marie?"  Fuck, she can't say nothin', he got her in the lung.  Real wet-soundin' breathin' too. Dammit!  I gotta - there's gotta be some way to help her, I can't let her die!  Think, Logan, think, you stupid fuckin' bastard.  Think!  Wait - I got it.  Her skin - if I touch her skin, she'll get some of me.  Maybe healin'.  Somethin's tellin' me maybe - God, I gotta save her.  She just can't die.  She can't.  Please, please, let it work.  Please.





She does not look very formidable.  There is certainly not any visible representation of her namesake, The Rogue, apparent now.  She looks almostfragile.  But she did put Wolverine into a coma despite his healing power, and she may have shot Scott.  Jean said that Rogue denies it, but Scott is still unconscious from surgery and Rogue is still unconscious from the drugs Jean administered on the flight here.  We will not know for certain what happened in that hallway for a while. 

She appears to be in good physical condition, with a large, fresh scar running along her left leg the only apparent sign of trauma.  I am certain that she won't be pleased to awaken in a holding cell, but, given her associations and history, I am certain she will understand why Charles has chosen to take that precaution.  I must admit, I am extraordinarily curious about her powers - Jean said was something about her skin being lethal and we knew about her ability to block telepathy - but she may have many more powers.  She may be the most powerful mutant we've discovered yet. 

"Mmm"  She's waking.  Well, good.  I am eager to talk with her.  "Wh-where am I?  Logan?"

"Who?" 

"Oh!"  Oh, drat.  I should have approached her a little more subtly.  My appearance *is* somewhat shocking.  I would wager that she has never seen a mutant with blue fur and claws before.  Especially not one that wears eyeglasses. 

"Hello.  I am Doctor Henry McCoy."  Why is she - oh, yes, the lab.  Introducing myself as a doctor may also not have been the wisest move.  I really must get myself together.  "I am not a mad scientist, I assure you.  As you can tell, I am a mutant myself.  I do not wish to hurt you, only to help you."

"And that's why you've put me in this spiffy cell with the - what's that?  A force field?"

"Yes, and I apologize, Rogue, but we must take precautions."  There are many children living just a few floors above, and if she really did lure Wolverine to the lab and shoot Scott, they must be kept safe from her.  That is the priority.  "We, ah, are not certain what happened back there or what your intentions may be."

"My intentions?"  She looks tired, exhausted even.  Whatever really happened, she was found wearing only a sheet and I suspect that she has seen more trauma than is readily apparent.  It almost makes me pity her, but then I remember how badly her mother hurt Bobby and how difficult his recovery has been.  If she is anything like her family.

"Yes.  Jean found you and - "

"Drugged me the second I turned my back on her.  Yeah, I remember that part." 

"Jean wanted to make sure that you did not present a danger to - "

"I didn't shoot Scott, I told her that!"  Is she - she appears about to cry.  Oh, my.  Tears are definitely imminent.  "Please - is - is Wolverine all right?"

"I believe he will be fine."  I shouldn't get this close to the cell, I know, but I am curious.  She is crying.  But now they appear to be tears of relief.  Hmm.  That is certainly very un-Mystique-like.  "His healing factor appears to be working, but slowly.  I anticipate that he will emerge from coma state within the next twenty-four hours."

"C-coma?  He's in a coma?  Oh God" 

"Do not - do not be upset.  He - he will be fine, I assure you."  She is crying hard now - she must care for Wolverine.  Perhaps she didn't lure him to the lab - perhaps they were both captured.  The debrief from Scott and Jean's contact with them would seem to indicate that they were travelling together and had some sort of relationship.  I am no interrogation specialist, that is Charles' forte, but I wonder what her reaction would be to news of Scott.  "Scott will recover as well, from his gunshot wound."

"I tried to warn him, I saw the guy coming up from behind him.  Is he - he'll live, then?"  Interesting.  Were I assessing her, I would believe her.  Her eyes seem - they seem open, honest. 

"Yes, he should make a full recovery.  He is fortunate that there was no spinal damage - the shot was off-center and even missed penetrating his lung."  He was very fortunate indeed. 

"Good." 

"Ah, may I ask you a few questions?  If - if you are feeling up to it, of course."  She does not look up to it - the way she's sitting on the floor with her knees drawn up and tears still rolling down her face - she is the very picture of 'not up to it.'  Perhaps I should not have asked, perhaps -

"Go ahead." 

"Do you have a name, a real name?"  She may not be inclined to tell me that.  I am *not* good at interrogation, but I am curious.  "Is - is your real name Rogue?"

"That's what you all seem to think."

"My nickname is Hank.  You may call me that if you wish."  No response.  Hmm.  Time to try another tack.  "Are you feeling all right?  I - I noticed the scar on your leg.  Are you in pain?"

"Are you the one that put this hospital gown on me?" 

"Y-yes."  Something about the way she said that - all of a sudden, I feel ashamed.  Not that I would ever, ever look at a patient salaciously - but I can tell the mere fact that she'd been unconscious and dressed by someone else is troubling her. 

"Great."  It *is* bothering her.  Greatly.  I should not have - "I don't suppose there's any chance I could get some real clothes?"

"Of course.  I shall - I shall get some immediately.  I apologize.  I am sure you are not feeling up to talking."  Just a shrug in reply to that query.  And more tears.  Oh heavens.  "Would you like - would you like something to eat?"

"No.  I'm not hungry." 

"Perhaps you should - "

"Why?  So you can poison it or drug me some more or something?  Look, I know what you all think of me.  The fact that you're jailing me isn't exactly subtle.  So just - if you'd just get me some clothes, because I don't think - "  Oh, dear, that was quite a sob.  "I just think I'd like some clothes if you're willing to do that." 

"Of - of course."  She is trembling visibly now.  We - we should not hold her like this if she is not a threat.  We have to make that determination soon.  Now.  "I'll return momentarily."

"Hank - wait.  Is - is Logan in a cell like this too?"

"No, he is in a bed in another part of this building, in the medlab."  She looks horrible, just - I did not think she looked bad before, so maybe it's not physical, maybe it is that she is upset or -

"Please, please - you can't let him wake up there.  The lab - he'll think he's back in the lab and he'll freak out.  He - he might try to hurt whoever's there when he wakes up.  Please.  I'm not lying about that.  Please.  Please just believe me about that, OK?"  Oh heavens, more tears.  Genuine tears, I am almost positive. 

"I will have him placed in a guest room.  Would - do you think that would be all right?"

"It would be better.  Thank you.  Thank you."  That small smile just seizes one's heart.  I will talk to Charles.  If she is not the enemy, then we are harming her.  Perhaps more than we even realize.  I will speak to Charles now.

"I will be back momentarily." 






I feel like shit.  Tired as hell.  Where's Marie?  Ain't she in bed with me?  Maybe she went to the bathroom or someth- fuck!  Fuck! 

"Marie?!"

"Uh, hello Wolverine.  I'm Jean, remember me?"

"Grrr!"    The lab?  No - no it's a room.  Almost like a hotel or -

"Don't be afraid.  You're safe.  You're in Westchester, New York.  Do you remember who I am?"

"Where's Marie?"  I gotta know if it worked.  Maybe - maybe it didn't work and that's why she's not here.  Maybe -

"Wolverine, do you remember who I am?"

"Dammit, yeah.  You came to see us before, with that guy.  Where's Marie?"  She can't be gone.  She just can't be gone.  That's not right - for me to still be here if she's gone now, 'cause I -

"Who?  Look, Wolverine, can you tell me what happened at the lab?  Rogue hurt you, didn't she?  She shot Scott, didn't she?"

"No!  Fuck, no.  Where is she, goddammit?!"  If she's not gonna say nothin' about Marie, I'm gonna start clawin', pronto.  I gotta know.  I gotta know right now.

"Is she - she's Marie, right?  She's - she's being held downstairs - please - uh, put those away.  I'm not your enemy, I - "

"You take me to her right now!" Gotta get to her.  Gotta see her.  Gotta see her. 

"O - OK, just put those away and we'll - " 

"Fuck you!  Take me to her or I'm gonna - "  Wavin' the claws oughta get her ass movin'.

"OK, OK, let's go.  This way, follow me."  I don't trust her.  I don't fuckin' trust her at all.  She's gonna walk in fronta me and I'm not gonna take my eyes off her a second. Once I get to Marie - God, she's gotta be OK, she's just gotta.  "Please, put those away."

"Marie's alive, right?"

"Yes.  She's fine.  Just a wound on her leg that looks like it's scarring over.  Wolverine, what happened back there?  Did she lure you to the lab, make you go with her to - "

"Shut up!  Just take me to her!"

"OK, OK.  Calm down."  Elevators.  I fuckin' hate fuckin' elevators and everywhere I go there's one of 'em.  "You know, you don't have to be afraid of her.  We can protect you from her.  We can help you."

"You're not takin' her away from me."  Can't kill this one.  Gotta keep control.  She's gotta take me to Marie.  Gotta keep control.  "Grrrrr."

"She's not what you think.  She's not - "

"Marie?!"  Let me outta the fuckin' elevator already, gonna claw these doors if they don't open faster, gottafindhergottafindhergottafindher

"The other way, Wolverine, down that hall, she's - "

"Marie!"

"Logan?"  Fuck, that's faint, but I heard it.  She's down here! 

"Marie!  Hang on!"  She's - there she is - there she is! 

"No, Logan, don't - STOP!"  What the hell?  Why don't she want me to -  "There's a force field there!  See it?  Don't - don't come any closer.  It'll hurt you." They got her caged up like some fuckin' animal and she looks all upset and she could be hurt and I dunno what they did to her and I can't smell her and  - "No, don't!"

"Aaaarrghhhh!"  Dammit, that hurt! 

"Whoa, whoa.  Hold on there, my friend.  Permit me to release the force field.  One moment." 

"What the hell are you?"  Fuckin' big guy, all covered in blue fur.  That ain't right.  And why's he holdin' a force field on Marie?

"I am a mutant like yourself.  Now, there - there.  It's down."

"Hank are you sure it's wise to - "

"Jean, I just spoke with Charles and he finally agreed that - "

"Marie!!"  MarieMarieMarie!  She's here, she's here.  I got her.  I got her back.  I got her! 

"Oh, Logan!  Are you all right?  I'm so sorry I hurt you!"  She's squeezin' me with everythin' she's got - she's real, she's here.  She's here.  I got her.

"I'm OK.  It's OK.  Don't worry."  I'm not ever gonna let go.  I got her back.  I got her back and she's gonna be OK now.  Nobody's ever gonna hurt her again. 

"I'm so sorry."  Marie-soft, Marie-warm, Marie-hair, Marie-smells, Marie-hands on me.  MarieMarieMarie.  I got Marie.  Not lettin' go. 

"It's OK.  I decided to do it.  I'm just - thank God it worked.  I didn't know if I could heal ya that way." 

"You did, you did."  Cryin', lotsa cryin' but she smells basically OK.  Tired, hungry, scared, real scared - did they do somethin' to her?

"Marie?  What're you doin in here?  Did they fuck with you?"

"They're keeping me locked up - they think - they think - "  Cryin' too hard now and she didn't even pick her head up offa my chest to look at me.  Just squeezin' so tight. 

"What the hell didya do to her?"

"Nothing, I assure you.  But we have kept her in a holding cell, in case she presented a threat to us.  We did not know what transpired at the lab.  My sincere apologies for - for that."  Blue guy - he better not have hurt Marie, 'cause I'll -

"They think I shot Scott and l-lured you to the lab.  They th-think - "  All kindsa smells comin' off her now - she's tired, exhausted as hell, she's about to drop.   And hungry's worse than I thought too, now that the scared is settlin' down.

"She didn't do nothin', she tried to warn Scott and they only got her 'cause she didn't run and fuckin' leave me when I told her to.  You - you just leave her alone!!!"  Not gonna let nobody hurt her or lock her up or nothin'.  Gotta protect Marie.  Gotta. 

"She needs - she requires food and rest.  Perhaps you would like to retire to one of the guest rooms for a while."

"Marie?"  The blue guy is tellin' the truth about her needin' those things but I dunno what she wants to do. 

"I don't trust them - I - I didn't know if they'd try to poison me with the food or do something - I just don't know."  Still not lookin' up at me, and I can tell she's just about to drop.  Well, if she don't trust 'em then I don't either.

"We're gettin' outta here."  I can carry her, no problem.  We're just gonna get the fuck outta this place. 

"Please - Wolverine - you - you have my word that we're not trying to harm you.  We had to secure Rogue as a precaution."  Her word don't mean nothin' to me.  "Please - if you - if you won't stay in the house, there's a lodge, out in the woods, on the edge of the property.  You could stay there.  We - we'd still like a chance to talk with you, Wolverine, to - " 

"Shut up!  I don't wanna talk."  Decision time.  And I gotta do it 'cause Marie can't right now.  Well, she needs to eat and sleep.  I gotta get her what she needs and keep her safe at the same time.  I think - I think I gotta take care of her first, and hope they don't try anythin'.  They still want me for their thing, sounds like, so maybe they won't try any shit now that I'm with her.  Look at her - she's so fuckin' exhausted, all limp in my arms.  Decision made.  And if any one of them tries shit, I'll fuckin' kill 'em all.  Nobody is takin' her away from me ever again.  Nobody, no way, no how.  "You - blue guy - show me where it is, the lodge.  And get some food."  If it is poisoned, I can touch Marie and fix her.  I know it works now, and she gotta eat.  "And stay the hell away from us - got it?  I ain't got no problem with killin' any of ya."  Marie's totally out now - sleepin' like the dead, just spent, just done.  I'll carry her.  I'll carry her and let her sleep some then wake her up for food.  I gotta keep my guard up.  I gotta take care of her.  I gotta hang on to her and protect her 'cause I was lucky enough to get her back.  I gotta.






"Mmmm"  Shhh.  You don't hafta wake up yet, Marie.  I got it all under control.  You sleep.  "Logan?  You up?"

"Yeah.  But you can go back to sleep if you wanna, OK?"  She's gotten about - about fifteen hours of sleep since I woke her up for food.  They didn't poison it or nothin', which was good.  But I can tell she needs more rest. 

"What time is it?"  Shit - shoulda just told her that 'cause that's always the second question. 

"Ten after four.  Go back to sleep, Marie.  I gotcha."  In fact, I think it's gonna be a really, really long time before I can ever let her outta my arms.  Gotta always have her right close so I can make sure nothin' else happens to her. 

"Are we OK?"

"Yeah.  We're - we're still in with them people, but in a little house out in the woods.  They ain't been by, and I barricaded the door just in case.  I'm lookin' out for us, don't you worry.  You can sleep."   No - no don't move, don't get up. 

"I should - is there a phone?  I need to call Remy."  Maybe she's thinkin' like I am 'cause she didn't get the whole way up and she's still pretty close up against me. 

"What for?"  Gotta just touch her hair.  Gotta just touch her a little.  I ain't got no gloves and neither does she, but I gotta touch her and I need her touchin' me. 

"We need money.  I can ask him to wire me some.  The Jeep and everything in it - everything we had is gone."  Shit - forgot about that.  I was so damn happy I still had her.  "Where - where are we?  Do you know?"

"One of 'em said somethin' - yeah - Westchester, New York."  Gotta just bring her back real close to me for a second.  I'll - I'll go with her to the phone in a second. 

"Oh, Logan"  She's been sleepin' right in that spot - right over my heart.  I wonder if it's 'cause my heartbeat calms her like hers calms me. 

"I was scared as hell that I'd lost ya, Marie.  I'm sorry they got ya.  They were after me - I  - I toldya to run, Marie.  Next time - if that ever happens again, you do that, OK?"

"No.  No, that's not OK."  I can tell by the slow way she's pickin' up her head to look at me that she's still pretty tired.  She needs a lot more rest.  "You and me - we're sticking together and that's the plan.  Right?"  I can see it on her - she didn't want nothin' to happen to me just like I didn't want nothin' to happen to her. 

"Right."  I just gotta make sure that never, ever happens again.  I gotta hide from them good.

"I love you a lot.  I want to make sure you know."

"I know."  How could I not when she's lookin' at me all soft like that?  "Me too.  A lot, really a lot.  Marie - did they - did they hurt ya?  Are you feelin' OK, you know, feelin'-wise?"  Except for her leg, she's pretty much healed.  I checked her all out.  I dunno what happened in the lab or in here and I'm not sure I wanna, but -

"They cut me up without any anesthetic.  It - it was bad.  And that guy - the one you - well, you know - he was saying stuff.  Saying how he was going to, you know, rape me.  You stopped him. You stopped him before he could.  Hank - he didn't do anything to me here, he was almost even decent.  I just - my parents, they used to lock me up and I hate being locked up.  I really, really hate it.  They used to try things like that - putting drugs in my food when I got too feisty or something.  It just freaked me out to wake up locked up and not be able to see you or touch you or go to you.  It just scared me.  But I think I'll be OK."  I dunno - she's shakin' pretty good here and she said that in a real small voice.  And I can smell a lotta scared in there, just from her talkin' about all of it.  It - it musta been real bad. 

"I'm gonna take care of you, OK?  I can do it, Marie, so don't worry.  I can take care of us."

"Oh, I know that."  That's a better smell - and a better look.  "Are you OK?  Did they - did they hurt you too?"

"They tied me down and they were plannin' to but I got loose.  Marie - what I did to those guys - I didn't wanna - I just lost it a little, you know, 'cause you were in trouble.  I'm not really like that, you know that, right?"

"Right."  Oh.  Marie-hands in my hair.  God, that just feels so good.  So good.  "Logan, would you put the claws out for a second?"

"You sure?"  Noddin', with real soft eyes.  OK.  OK, I'll do it. 

"Thank you."  What's she - oh.  Oh, my.  She's kissin' 'em.  She's never done that before and it's good.  It's *really* good. 

"Unnh"  Kissin' 'em real gentle too.  Soft kisses.  Lickin' at 'em a little while she's doin' it.  Oh, God.

"I know you like it when I touch them.  I - when you touched me, I got a lot of you in my head.  I know how good it feels to you."  I know I should say somethin' here but it's gettin' hard to say anythin' coherent.  "And I want you to know - I never was afraid of them, I never hated them.  They - they protected us.   They're not something bad to me." 

"Oh, Marie."  It's so deep, whenever she touches 'em at all and this - this is even more, even deeper, stronger.  And to hear her say that - she thinks of 'em as protectin' us - that's really deep.  I never wanted these damn things, but they're good for protectin' us so I guess - I guess I don't hafta hate 'em all the time, you know?  It's - they're useful for somethin' good.  I don't hafta hide 'em, I can use 'em to protect us when I gotta.  And Marie's lovin' 'em, touchin' 'em, so they can't be horrible, they can't be bad.  She's - she's almost done.  She's pullin' back.  I'll - I'll put 'em away.  'Cause I really wanna have both arms around her right now.  Right now. 

"I love you."  One more little kiss to my chest.  "I'm going to call Remy."

"I'm comin' with ya."  See - that's why I know she was meant for me.  Stuff like this right now, not just her with the claws.  Somebody else woulda said no, the phone's right over there or just told me to stay put.  Not Marie.  She understands why I can't let her outta arm's reach.  She just smiles and lets me go with her, lets me hold her while she's dialin'. 

"'Allo?"

"This isn't a secure line."  Funny how she gets all business sometimes.  Times like this, times when she has to. 

"Oui."  Marie explained that Remy speaks kinda half-English, half-French.  I barely know English so

"I'm in Westchester, New York.  I need you to wire me money to the nearest Western Union.  As much as possible.  I lost the car and everything in it.  Everything."

"Oui.  De last two jobs, and an advance on - say, seven more?  Plus de one you got stashed away?" 

"Thank you."

"You OK, chere?"

"Yeah.  I will be."

"Tres bien."  I guess that's it - she's hangin' up. 

"Remy will send the money and we'll have to send a note to tell him where to send new papers for us.  The jobs - he meant the paintings, so I'll owe them seven more.  And he'll get the thousand I stashed away and send that too.  It should be enough for a car, it should be about ten, maybe eleven thousand dollars.  If wewe can."  She's lost it - all the energy she had is just gone, boom, just like that.  She's outta steam. 

"Hey.  Hey.  C'mere.  Come on back to bed.  You're still tired.  Come on, darlin'.  I'll carry ya over."  I actually kinda like carryin' her, even if it is only a little ways.  Keeps her real close to me.  "You wanna eat somethin' before you sleep some more?  You probably should, and I don't think it's poisoned or nothin'." 

"You must think I'm really paranoid."  Little smile - I like those on her a lot.  Much better than tears, if ya ask me. 

"Nah."  Just gonna set her in the bed then go get the food.  I kinda like feedin' her too.  Should get her some juice too.  That'd be good. 

"Thanks for taking care of me.  Thanks."  I got really lucky.  Lucky to find her and lucky not to lose her.  One in a million kinda lucky. 

"No problem, darlin'." 

"I like it when you call me that."  I'm gonna start callin' her that all the time, then.  If it gets smiles like that, I'm gonna call her that all the time. 







KNOCK KNOCK

"Shit, it's them."  We were just havin' some good touchin' time goin' on too.  Gotta be a little creative without gloves, but we both just hadta - *hadta* - touch each other some.  "I think it's the blue one.  Smells like him."

"What do you think, should we let him in?"

"I dunno.  Whaddya think?"  I'd better let her decide 'cause she's the one they locked up.

"Maybe.."  She's thinkin', I know that look.  "Who's there?"

"It is Hank - ah, Dr. McCoy.  I just stopped by to make sure you were all right and had everything you needed."  Hmmm.  I wonder if there is anythin' we need.  Got enough food.  Got some soap and some towels to wash up with.  Got some clothes.

"We're fine.  We're - uh, we're going to be leaving soon."  Marie said today, after we eat and clean up and put on fresh clothes.  She said we'll walk if we hafta, but we'll get to the Western Union and get the money then get a car right away.  I dunno about that - I don't think she's up to walkin'.  Her leg - she didn't hang on to me long enough to heal it the whole way.  They took off a big, wide strip of her skin and they cut her pretty deep too, into the muscle.  I dunno how much of that is still messed up.  She's been favorin' that leg a little.

"Oh.  Well, ah, is there anything we may assist you with?  Perhaps - perhaps some clothing or - or - ah, would you consider opening the door?  It would be easier to talk face to face.  Of course - I - I understand if you do not wish to - "

"OK.  Hang on a second."  She looks all - well, she looks like she's thinkin' hard.  "Logan, would you mind moving the dresser and those chairs back away from the door and letting him in?  But - but keep an eye on him, OK?  Stay close to me."

"Gotcha."  Stayin' close to her goes without sayin'.  "Umph."  Heavy furniture.  Figured none of those wimpy ass people would have an easy time of movin' it if they tried to break in.  Shit - that guy is *really* blue.  "Don't try nothin'."

"Ah, yes.  Thank you.  How are you both feeling?"  Wonder if I should put the dresser back?  I guess it can wait until he leaves.

"Fine."  Marie don't look too nervous.  She said the blue guy didn't treat her bad, except for lockin' her up.  She don't smell too afraid, but it's there a little.  Just gonna sit on the bed, behind her.  Both hands on her.  Gotta protect her.  Not gonna turn my back on this guy. 

"I am glad to hear it.  Please permit me to once again apologize for your stay in our holding cell.  We deeply regret the misunderstanding and profusely - "

"I'm not going to just forget that you locked me up."  Pretty tense - all her muscles are knotted up and she's breathin' a little faster. 

"Y-yes.  I quite understand.  I - I - "

"Is Scott OK?"  I know she's worried he coulda died.  But - and I don't wanna tell her this - I wouldnta minded it if he did.  I wanna be sure to keep him away from Marie.  He's not gonna get her. 

"He's doing much better.  He will be fine."  The blue guy looks like he's thinkin' somethin' over now.  "Ah, Marie - may I call you Marie?"

"I'd prefer it to Rogue."  She's reachin' back so she can hold on to my arm.  I bet she feels like holdin' my hand, but she can't 'cause we don't have gloves.  I miss that too.  It's like our thing, ever since the first time she did it to me, it's been our thing.

"Very well.  Marie, I feel badly that we assumed the worst about you due to your, ah, family connections.  I wish to make it up to you, and I've come here today to ask how I may do that."

"You feel bad but the rest of them don't?"  Grabbin' my arm a little tighter now. 

"I cannot speak for anyone else.  I know that the Professor iswary of Mystique and for good reason.  They have had a difficult history.  But he used Cerebro - a - a mutant tracking device we have here at the mansion - to keep tabs on Wolverine, and he ordered the team to intervene when you were in trouble.  Jean is also somewhat wary, and Bobby - Mystique attacked him and nearly killed him a few years ago.  The others - Scott has advocated asking you to join the team, and I - I feel the same.  We have treated you unfairly."

"I don't think I could ever do that.  I mean - I know you want Wolverine to joint the team, and it's his decision, but I couldn't ever trust you."

"I understand that you may hold a grudge and I - "

"When they came to see us, Jean and Scott, we invited them into our room.  We listened politely to what they had to say.  I sat still while they insulted me.  When they were done, we asked them very nicely to leave.  That's how we - Wolverine and I - treated people we weren't sure about.  You weren't sure about me, so you locked me up.  Don't you think there's a basic, insurmountable philosophical difference there?  And anyway, wouldn't I have the right to hold a grudge?"

The blue guy's just noddin', so he must mean yeah to both of those.  "Tell me, how can we help you now?"

"Can we have these clothes?  And - and maybe the soap?"

"Of course.  Please take whatever you need from the lodge.  Anything - anything you need.  Are you - do you have some transportation?"

"We're working on it.  We'll - how far is downtown?"

"Approximately eight miles."  Eight miles - I don't think she'll make it that far walkin' but I bet she's not gonna ask for a ride out or nothin'.  I wouldn't trust 'em enough to get in a car with 'em either.  Too enclosed, too risky.  I can always carry her if she can't walk it all.  "Are you headed into town?  I could give you a lift if you like."

"I don't think so.  We'll - it'll be a nice walk."

"Uh, Marie, you may not - your leg is still injured.  That long a walk may be very painful.  Please, I, ah, it is the least I can do to offer a ride into town.  I would be happy to - to do whatever makes you comfortable."

"I - I don't think so.  No thanks.  But - but we'll let you know if we change our minds."

"Very well.  Marie, I am sorry for getting off on the wrong foot with you.  I - it is apparent that you are quite different than we thought, quite different than Mystique."  What kinda dumbass wouldn't see that?  Shit, I can even smell it.  They're totally different.   

"Yes, I am."  Big blue's not gonna say anythin' else - he's gettin' up to go.  "Hank - I wanted to thank you for - for moving Logan to a room and for letting down the force field when he came to find me.  And for not hurting me, you know, when I was unconscious.  I appreciate that."

"Of - of course."  He looks surprised by that, but I ain't.  She's a kind person, a good person.  When somebody does right by her, even a little bit, she notices. 

"Bye, then." 

"Goodbye."  I gotta put the dresser back once he closes that door behind him.  Heavy-ass thing.

"Logan?  What did you think?  Do you think he's OK?"

"Dunno.  Don't like that he locked ya up.  But I didn't smell a lie on him.  You thinkin' about lettin' him give us a ride?  'Cause we don't gotta.  I can carry you if your leg starts hurtin', that's no problem."  I could carry her the whole eight miles, no sweat.  I'm all the way recovered. 

"I don't know.  Let's - let's think about it a little.  Maybe we should get going, though." 

"OK."  Personally, I could go for a little more touchin', but I know what she means.  We gotta go get the money, and the sooner we get outta here, the sooner we'll both feel better. 

"I was thinking about the money.  I think we should probably spend as much of it on the car as possible.  We'll need other things, but we should try to get a pretty good car."  Sounds good to me.  "Maybe - let's make a list of what we need and work backwards.  That way, we'll know how much we can spend on the car."

"OK."  She's good at this - figurin' stuff out.  She's real smart.  And she means an actual list 'cause she's gettin' a pen and some paper.  "Hey - c'mere."  She can make that list just as good sittin' in my lap as she can sittin' across the table from me.  We got interrupted touchin' and I need a little more, even if it's not, you know, intimate touchin'. 

"So - what do we need?  I know Hank said we could take stuff from here - but let's take as little as possible, OK?  Maybe just the clothes we're wearing and a few other things.  I just don't like the idea of being indebted to them."

"I understand.  I don't wanna be indebted to 'em either."

"OK."  She's thinkin' hard.  Those big brown eyes narrow a little and her lips push together.  Love her so much right now.  "We'll need clothes, and shoes, but we can get them second hand, so that won't be much.  Uh, we'll need food.  And a blanket, at least one."  Gotta touch her hair a little.  Just a little.  "And, uh, tights.  And condoms.  I know that seems kind of frivolous, but - "

"No.  It don't.  I need to pretty soon, Marie." 

"Me too."  God, I do love her.  The look on her now - knowin' she wants me - there's nothin' like that in the whole world.    And I meant it - I gotta have her that way pretty soon.  I'm just achin' for it all over.  Not just, you know, below the belt.  All over and inside too.  "Let's get gloves for us too."  She's not writin' on the list no more, though.  She's turnin' a little to look at me.  "Logan, I need you a lot right now.  I just - I'm a little shaky and I need you a lot right now."

"You got me.  We're stickin' together, that's the plan."  I need her too.  Always have.  Always have since I met her.  And I decided - it's her and me.  I decided on her and she - she's decided on me too.  That's how it is now and that's how I want it to be. 

"Yeah, we are."  Oooh.  Head kiss.  Missed those these past coupla days.  "Thanks for that - thanks for sticking with me." 

"You too.  I mean, with me.  I mean - "

"I know."  Tappin' the side of her head.  Weird how that is with her mutation.  She said she got a lotta me in there when I touched her and I wonder -

"What's it like, havin' me up there?"  'Cause I dunno - I mean there's not that much in my head and most of it's nightmares and shit.  I dunno what it's like for her.  She makes it seem like it's no big deal, but it kinda hasta be. 

"It's.it's just so beautiful."  Whew.  Whew.  "You're so amazing to me.  So - so intense and so brave and so strong.  I'm not sorry - I'm not sorry this all happened, because I have that.  I wouldn't trade it for anything." 

"Good."  Just gonna hold her to me.  I dunno what we're gonna do, really.  It's gonna be hard to get back on our feet.  We - we gotta find a car and stuff and I don't think I can go back to workin', at least not for a long while.  No way I can spend any time apart from her.  It's gonna be hard.  But I got her and that's all that I really give a shit about.  As long as I got her, we can figure the rest of it out together.  And I'm gonna make sure she stays safe.  I'm gonna be sure she's taken care of good.  I can do that.  I can do that.





"Any progress, Henry?"

"Very little, I'm afraid.  They are leaving soon, and did not want a ride into town.  They did not ask for anything in the way of help at all, and Marie is still very upset."

"We miscalculated with her, I think."

"I agree, Professor.  However, I must say, I do not believe that there is any danger of losing them to the Brotherhood.  They seem to simply want to be on their own."

"Yes, well that is good news at least.  I wish we could've learned more about Rogue's powers, though."

"She prefers to be called Marie."

"Odd.  Mystique never referred to her as anything other than 'Rogue.'"

"She may have severed ties with Mystique."

"Well, we will continue to track Wolverine.  Even if we cannot detect Rogue using Cerebro, she seems likely to stay near him."

"Marie.  She prefers Marie."

"Yes.  You know, that was my mother's name.  I suppose I have a difficult time applying it to an offspring of Mystique's.  I do so wish we knew more about her.  Her ability to block even my telepathy is impressive.  There is so much she could do on our side, Hank, so much they both could do."

"I suppose we will have to give them time and hope for the best."

"Yes.  But if the opportunity to assist them arises again, we must seize it.  Perhaps that will repair some of the damage done."

"I agree."

"Thank you for all your help, Henry.  I am headed to see Scott shortly, but we will speak again soon."

"Yes, Professor.  Thank you."

 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives