Winter In Sawtooth II

Title: Winter In Sawtooth II
Author: Lateo
E-Mail: lateoisgod@hotmail.com
Website: http://www.lateo.org
Rating: R, mature themes
Archive: If you have the first one you can take this too.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of them.
Feedback: Always welcome.
Summary: Part of the Seasons In Yellowstone series by Terri. Sequel to Winter in Sawtooth.  Where
did Scott go and what happened to him when he got there?
Comments: English is not my first language.

----------------------------------------------------------


His world had crumpled when he found out. He was in prison and as legacy killed the guards and prisoners the time between meals became longer and longer. He would lie in his cell and hear Ororo cry across the hall. It was hardest for her. Both the betrayal from Xavier and the confined space, Ro had always been claustrophobic and being here was her ultimate nightmare.

It was Scott’s ultimate nightmare too. Jean was the first to notice that sometimes she lost time, it was usually after seeing Xavier and she shook as she told him before the final mission: that sometimes she lost time and that she was always sore afterwards like…and she had found semen on her skirt.

He was on his way into the Blackbird when she told him. She had picked that time because she wanted him to be away so he could think about it and shield his anger from Xavier before he returned.

She didn’t know that they were walking into a trap or that Xavier had set them up.

As Legacy began to take it’s poll in the human population the treatment became hard, then worse as the guards died. There was no one to feed them and one day Ro’s whimpers stopped. It took three days more before the power source running his collar stopped so he could use his power again and escape.

Everyone but Pyro lay dead in his or her cell. Pyro had been immune from legacy but not from the hunger. He always was a skinny boy. Scott had poured some water between his lips and St.John had used his last strength to tell him what he had seen done to Jean and how she was “acting like a zombie.” Then he had died.

Scott had gone to what was once home. No one was there but there was tombstone in the garden. It said Charles Xavier - Mutant rights fighter. The man hadn’t even left him his chance of revenge.

He had travelled to the border using those of his sources in the mutant underground who was still alive. They told him how Xavier had died and of a blue furred mutant who might have gotten away.

He often felt numb.

When he decided to spend the winter in the woods while he waited for things to settle down. He wasn’t really surprised to see Wolverine there. Logan was a survivor before anything else and this was not the first hell Logan had been through.

Logan had been the one to kill Xavier and he had hoped the man suffered. But now he knew that wasn’t so.  It made sense; Xavier was too powerful to take any risk with and at least the bastard was dead now.

After their initial conversation he seldom saw Logan but he knew Logan checked on him. He felt oddly moved.

When spring came he said his goodbye and crossed the border. And in a little town in Canada his life was completely changed again.

***

The town was deserted like all the other towns he had been too. Cars were left in the middle of the street, dead mummified drivers still in the car seats and some windows on the stores were broken.

There was only one difference, freshly mutilated corpse of a young woman lying in the middle of the street. She scared Scott because someone with claws had done this to her and Scott recognised the claw marks; he had seen them on many of Sabretooth’s victims.

He startled when he heard a noise, it was coming from a dirty little boy who immediately hid behind a telephone pole.

“Hey…hi there.” Scott said. The little boy just looked at him.

“I am not going to hurt you.”

“Mama.” The boy whined.

“Is this your mummy?”

“Mama wont wake up. The wad man wurt her.”

“A bad man hurt her?” The little boy nodded his head.

“Did…” his hard tone scared the little boy so he repeated it in a gentler way: “Did the bad man have blond hair.”

The little boy nodded.

“Did he have claws?”

The little boy nodded even harder.

“That’s a very bad man.”

After this statement the little boy felt it was safe for him to come close and Scott realised he was very young, hardly more than a toddler.

He got down on his knees so he was at the same level as the child and asked: “ When did you last see the bad man.”

The little boy held up three fingers.

“Three days ago?”

“Yes.”

“So you have been alone for three days you must be hungry.”

“I haw candy.”

“Candy! But that not food.” Scott gently teased and for the first time got a tiny smile from the child.

“Lets get you some real food.”

The little boy looked at his mother again. “Mama?”

“We will get her a proper burial.”

And so Scott did and he held the boys sticky little hand as he tried to remember the proper words to say over the mother’s grave. Then he fed the child and gave him a long needed bath.

 The little boys name was Nathan, he was three years old and under all the filth he had strawberry blond curls. In the following days Scott found out that Nathan’s mother had saved him by hiding him in a store while Sabretooth hunted them through the town. Scott of course knew that that had not been enough had Sabretooth really wanted to find the child. But apparently “playing” with the mother had been enough for Victor Creed.

Nathan brought the joy back into his life. He had been going through the motions up until he found Nate, but the responsibility and eventually the love he felt for the little one brought him back to world of the living. He decided to go to the Yellowstone free zone he had seen posters about. Apparently mutant survivors were gathering there.

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives