Dining Out With Marie

Title: Dining Out With Marie
Author: Terri
E-Mail: xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: I don't own any of them, except Sam and Nat, and I'm keeping them ;)
Archive: Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask :)
Feedback: Please? With some homemade chili from Logan on top? Good, bad, and ugly welcome........
Summary: Sequel to Figuring Things Out With Marie. The Professor takes the Laughlins out for dinner, but Nat gets too cranky for dinner at eight ;)
Comments: If you've ever had a kid (your own or someone else's) pitch a fit in public, you know how much fun Logan and Marie are having here ;) I once had my then-four-year-old goddaughter pitch a screaming fit when I tried to get her to go up the escalator on a little trip to the mall. Well, she plopped her butt on the floor, screamed and cried until she was red in the face, and refused to get on the escalator. It took me five looooong minutes to figure out it was because she was afraid of the escalator; her brother had once teased her that it ate little girl feet but not little boy feet. He said it recognized which was which by who had fancy bows on their shoes. Yep, she was wearing shoes with bows ;) It was a good reminder that everyone does things for a reason; it's just not always a reason readily apparent or one that makes sense to us. Finally, we took her shoes off and went up to the second floor, after everyone, yes, everyone in the whole mall had taken a gander at us by that point. After the whole production, one lady came up to me and bitched me out for making my kid cry; another who'd apparently heard our conversation congratulated me on getting her to go up it after all. It just goes to show that even when it's not your kid, everybody has different ideas about your parenting ;)

--------------------------------------------------


"And remember to chew with your mouth closed." Heh. Marie's been lecturin' the kids on proper dinin' behavior but she took a little sideways glance at me with that one.

"Aw, they'll be good, darlin'. I know it's their first trip to a restaurant and all but, hell, it's only Chuck." Called on the brain phone - which was damn irritatin', I don't mind tellin' ya, 'cause me and Marie were in the middle of gettin' a little frisky at the time - to say meet him for dinner in Yellowknife on Friday night. Now, I know Chuck don't fly thousands of miles and go to all this trouble just for a little native Canadian cuisine, so I ask him what's up. Bein' the damn cryptic guy that he is, all he says is he thinks he may have a solution to some of my problems, and he wantsta talk 'bout it. I told him I ain't got no problems I can't handle; he says see ya Friday, you pick the restaurant.

So here we all are, headin' inta town to chow down at Grandma Lee's. Now, I dunno if there's an actual grandma runnin' the place or if it'll be up to Chuck's snuff, but I figure, we don't wanna go to some high class place and leave the kids with a babysitter - even if Ann and Evan did volunteer for that hazardous duty to spring me and Marie for a night out. So, it's gotta be a place that's at least a little kid-friendly. Didn't really realize until we started the drive down that we've never taken the kids out to eat before.

"Mom, I want Dad's chili and some cookies for dessert."

"Well, Nat, this place will have different foods. We'll have to see what's on the menu."

"Yeah, mom and me will help ya read it, and you can pick whatcha wanna eat, OK?"

"But I want Dad's chili." She's been a little like this ever since the latest attack, gettin' all bent outta shape the second life don't hand her exactly what she wants and how she wants it. I understand, but my patience is wearin' thin. Me and Marie - we haven't found anythin' that works on that yet, and it's been a coupla months. Usually, when we put our heads together, we can fix whatever behavior problem there is. Not this one.

"I know, Nat, and Dad makes really good chili, but tonight we're not eating at home, so someone else will be cooking for us. It'll be a chance to try something new."

"Hmph." Little folded arms and all. It could be a long night.

"Me want steak." Heh. My son, the little carnivore. There are a few things he sure did get from me.

"If it's on the menu, you got it."

"Then why can't I have Dad's chili?"

Big sigh from Marie. She's losin' patience too, I know. I'd better field this one. "'Cause, darlin', I know my chili ain't on the menu. Might have chili there though, and you can have that if you want."

"Hmph." More poutin', more folded arms. "I never get what I want."

"Now Nat, you're just like everybody else. Sometimes you get what you want but sometimes you can't. That's true about all of us." Nice try, baby, but she's inta the full-on hissy fit mode now, that ain't gonna get through.

"That's *not* true! You and Dad and Sam *always* get what you want! I *never* do!"

"Nat, you know that ain't so. Just before we left, you got to paint, just like you wanted. You're wearin' the clothes you picked out. You got to take your colorin' book along. Aren't those all things you wanted?" Dunno why I'm tryin' logic here. I already know what she's gonna do - give me another huff and pout some more.

"Hmph." See? Toldya.

"Me not get what I want. Me wanted to bring Blue."

Can't help lettin' out a little laugh at his serious tone there. "I know. But Blue don't eat people food, so he stays home." But I have a feelin' if Nat's attitude 'bout only eatin' my chili hangs on through dinner, the mutt'll be gettin' a doggie bag.
"You both look well." Heh. And Chuck, you look damn outta place in a down-home diner. It's kinda funny, actually, him in the chair, wearin' a suit and tie even. "And you must be Samuel and Natasha. I have heard a lot about you."

Sam's shy 'round people, so I'm not surprised he's just standin' there starin' at Chuck, but Nat usually loves meetin' new people and she's just lookin' at him too. No, I take that back. She's poutin' at him. "Say hello to our friend Chuck."

"Professor Xavier." Yeah, like two year olds are gonna call him that.

"Please to meet you." Well, that's better, at least Nat's bein' a little more like - "I wanted Dad's chili, and I didn't wanna come here." Dear Lord, gimme strength.

"Nat's havin' a bit of a bad day. C'mon, let's get a table." Marie's givin' me that look - that 'it's gonna be a long dinner if this shit keeps up' look. Yeah, I know darlin', I know.
"So, as I contemplated the plans for the new facility in San Francisco, it occurred to me - why not create a west coast presence that is not only less costly, but which also has the added benefit of making Xavier's School for the Gifted an international institution?"

Hmm. Makes sense, but why do I feel like there's a kick in the ass somewhere in all this?

"I see your point, Professor, but out here, it's pretty remote. It's not like Westchester, where you're only a short commute from the city. There's a lot of land and a lot of beautiful scenery out here, that's true, but not much else. Is that really the best place for a new school?"

"I believe so." Aha, here it comes. I recognize all the signs. He's leanin' across the table, givin' Marie the real sincere look. That don't fool me, Chuckles. I know that's just gift-wrappin' for the kick in the ass. "And I have come here to ask your help." Yep, knew it.

"Our help?" Oh, don't look at me, darlin', I'm not gettin' inta this, whatever it is. "What kind of help?"

"Well, I know that you have a rather large parcel of land. I was hoping that you might consider selling me a small - "

"Oh no. No way. Hold it right there. I ain't gonna put up a school fulla kids next door to us. Uh-uh."

"Uh-uh." Thanks for the support, Sam, but I can handle this myself. He's been watchin' us talk the whole time, I guess I shouldn't be surprised he'd chime in. Unlike his sister who had to be given a no-talkin' time-out after bitchin' the waitress out for not havin' my chili.

"Logan, the school could be located as far away as you like within your holdings. And I am not asking that you serve as teachers, or interact with the students in any way, if that is what you choose. I would not impose upon you or Marie to act as headmaster; I realize you have your own responsibilities."

"That's right, we do."

"Sugar - " Oh don't tell me you're thinkin' 'bout it, Marie. "We do owe the Professor a lot. I mean, he's always been there to help us, you know? Let's just - let's just hear him out, OK?"

"Darlin' - "

"Heaw him out, dada." Figures Sam'd take his mom's side. Kinda cute how he's been copyin' us all night, though - maybe that's how he's learnin' to talk more or somethin'.

" Logan?"

I can see there's no winnin' that one. "OK."

"It would be a very mutually beneficial situation, Logan. You would have extra protection, and enhanced security on hand. The multiple attacks on you and your family - well, the presence of an X-Man team could serve as quite the deterrent, not to mention a source of ready aid should another attack occur."

"I wanna go home! Right now!" Whoa, Nat.

"You're still on time-out, kid. Sit still and be quiet, darlin'. You got another whole minute."

"I don't wanna sit still and I don't wanna be quiet, I just wanna go home. Now!" Christ - throwin' her utensils on the floor for emphasis. When did my sweet little angel turn inta this cranky little devil?

"Natasha." Wuh-oh. I think our daughter just found the limits of her mom's patience.

"You behave yourself. Sit still and be quiet until your time out is over."

"No! I wanna go home!" Uh-oh, she's gonna - oh, OK, Marie grabbed her hand before her glass got a one-way ticket to the tile floor. Whew. At least she - oh, hell!

"Natasha! You don't do that!" She took a swipe at Marie, a real swing, right at her face. That's gonna get her little two-year-old butt yanked right outta here.

"Logan - "

"You do *not* hit your mom, got me? You and me are gonna go have a talk 'bout this outside. Now." I'm not even gonna let her walk out - she's gettin' carried. I know Marie's givin' me the worried look and I know she's thinkin' I might yell or be too harsh or somethin'. But this little girl's gotta find out there's some shit you just don't pull, and smackin' her mom across the face is high up on that list. "Sit tight, Marie, we'll be back after we get this taken care of."
"Put me down, put me down!" Now she's not scared anymore, now she's gettin' pissed. Well, I am too.

"Fine." We're gonna have it out in the parkin' lot 'cause the whole place don't need to hear this, and 'cause Marie says never to embarrass 'em in public. "There."

"I don't like you! I wanna go home!"

"Yeah, I heard ya the first time, Nat. But we're out for dinner and we're stayin' 'til it's over. You don't get a say-so."

"Hmph!" Stompin' the foot, crossin' the arms, frownin' - yep, that's the deluxe pout. "I wanna go home."

"Nope." If she thinks she can be more stubborn than me, she's got another thing comin'. I've had years to perfect this shit, and she's two. "We're not goin' home, and I'll tell ya another thing, you'd better never, ever raise your hand to your mom ever again, or - "

"She grabbed me first!"

"Natasha, she grabbed you 'cause you were gonna break a glass, a glass that wasn't yours and that coulda hurt someone else at the table. Is that what you were tryin' to do, huh? Hurt your family?"

"No."

"Well, then you should be glad your mom stopped ya." She's comin' out of it a little now. I can smell the beginnin' of some tears on her, and maybe that's a good thing, maybe that's what needsta come out. "Your mom loves you, and she'd never do nothin' to hurt ya. She's fought off bad guys and risked her life for both you and your brother. You don't treat her bad, Natasha." I know I'm growlin' and I can smell the fear comin' up on her too, but she needsta know this shit was serious. "You don't *ever* hit her, you got that, kid? 'Cause if you ever do that, I just dunno how you'd make it right with this family. Nobody ever hits anyone else in the family, and that's the rule. You gotta stick by that rule, just like the rest of us. Now, I know you've had a hard time lately, but that ain't an excuse to take it out on anyone else or to behave bad. You understand me, Natasha?"

Nothin'. No more poutin' but she's not sayin' yes, either. Well, I guess we ain't done talkin' then.

"Look, you didn't get a choice 'bout who'd be your mom and dad or who'd be your family, but I'll tell ya somethin', Natasha, you got a damn good mom outta the whole crap shoot, and she don't deserve to be smacked across the face like you were gonna do to her. Now, you're my daughter and I love you, but, dammit, Nat, I'm not gonna letcha run this family and treat the people in it however you like. If you're mad or scared or upset 'bout somethin', you talk to us. You don't throw things. You don't break things. You don't scream. You *don't* hit your mom."

"I want Sam."

"Sam can't help you get outta this one."

"I don't want - I just want Sam." Here come the tears. Lots of 'em.

"C'mere, darlin'."

"No, Idon'twannayou'remadatmeIwantSam!"

"I'm a little mad atcha, yeah, but I always love you, even when I am mad. I love you, kid, c'mere and let your Dad hold ya."

"Da-a-a-d!" There we go. Holy hell, lotsa cryin' here. "I didn't mean to, I didn't mean to."

"I know. I know."

"I didn't mean to."

"I know, darlin'."

"I just wanna go home, Dad."

"Why's that, huh?" Maybe that's the problem - maybe we shoulda been askin' her questions 'bout that insteada tellin' her why not. She's a smart kid - I bet that's what she was tryin' to do by askin' for my chili, she was tryin' to get us to head back home.

"I can't watch everything here. I don't - I can't watch everything."

"Why do you needta watch everythin', honey?"

"For bad people, Dad. I'm the only one who can stop them." Oh, shit. Shit. That's it, that's fuckin' it - she's so outta control 'cause she feels threatened and she ain't sure what might happen. She's desperate to get home, where she feels safe. She feels like she's gotta take care of it all, and I don't blame her 'cause that's how it kinda played out the last time. She don't fuckin' deserve this, you know? She's my little girl and I wanted to protect her from everythin' bad but life keeps handin' her shit. Fuck. Gotta deal with it like it is, though. Gotta deal with it. "I wanna go home, now, OK? Please, Dad, please, I wanna go home."

"In a little bit, baby." I gotta figure out how to deal with this. "We're gonna go back in. Here's what we're gonna do. I'm gonna watch everythin' at this restaurant. I'm gonna watch real good. You don't worry 'bout it. I'm gonna be on the lookout, and me and your mom and Chuck are all here to take care of it if somethin' happens. You don't hafta worry 'bout that. We're gonna go back in, finish eatin', listen to the rest of what Chuck has to say, and then we'll go home. But first of all, Nat, you're gonna apologize to your mom, big time. Got it?" Noddin'. "Good. You need a minute?" 'Cause if I know her, she won't want anybody to see she was cryin'. Yep. Another nod. "Take your time."
Well, I coulda guessed that Sam'd be waitin' just inside the door with Marie right behind him. Wonder how much of that they heard.

"Hey. I asked the Professor to just order dessert for all of us." I'd better do somethin' to put my wife at ease. She looks like she's gonna cry any second.

"Everythin's OK. Me and Nat had a little talk, and I told her that we'd take care of everythin' until we got back home." By the way Marie's noddin', I can tell she musta heard what happened outside. And look at Sam - he's goin' over to hug his sister and he don't look like he's gonna be lettin' go anytime soon. But we ain't quite done here yet. "Nat has somethin' to say to you."

"I'm sorry, mom. I'm really sorry." Hidin' behind her brother a little, but you can tell she meant it.

"It's OK, honey, it's OK." She's gonna kneel down and open up her arms to Nat for a hug just to be sure. "Oh, Nat, it's OK."

"Don't be mad, mom. I didn't mean it." God, look at her clutchin' Marie for dear life. I always think of Sam as the one who needs Marie more, but Nat needs her just as much. She can't stand it when she thinks Marie might be mad at her, she just can't stand it. "I'm so so-o-o-ry." And tears, in fronta everybody. Christ, maybe I made her feel too bad 'bout it.

"It's OK, sweetheart, I understand what happened. It's OK, baby."

"Mom..."

"It's OK, Nat." We gotta talk, me and Marie, when we get back home. We gotta figure out how to help our little girl, and how to do a better job of it than we have been.
"Thanks again for dinner."

"It was my pleasure. And please, let me know what you decide." Well, after tonight's display, I gotta say, I'm thinkin' 'bout Chuck's offer. I mean, he's right - X-Men nearby is a damn good thing, at least for my family, for my kids and their safety. I don't particularly wanna be in the middle of a campus fulla kids, but, hey, it'll also be a campus fulla powerful mutants trained to kick ass if need be. I'm leanin' toward sayin' yes.

"Will do. Good to see ya." One solid handshake, and then we'll finally be back on the road. Back home, where Nat should calm down a bit, at least to her usual level of misbehavior. "Have a good trip back."

"Thank you. Safe travels home. Sam, Nat - it was very nice to meet you both."

"Fank you." Sam, he feels a little more comfortable with Chuck now. Now that he got to know him, get a feel for him.

"Uh-huh. Thanks." Nat, still sad, and probably still scared and pissed too, but tryin' to be polite to make a few points back up with her mom.

"You're quite welcome. And Natasha - you and your brother are both very brave, just like your parents are. I am certain that they will take very good care of you."

Heh. Classic Chuck. Makin' the kids feel better but gettin' a little plug in there for what he wants too. Some people don't change. But Marie's right - he is a good guy and he has done a lot for us. I'm leanin' toward yes.
"So we're agreed to do it, then?"

"Yeah, you call in the mornin', huh? Make it sound like you talked me inta doin' it." 'Cause Chuck don't need to know I'm all on board with this. That'd be a waste of a golden opportunity to give him shit for a long time to come.

'OK." That was almost flirty there, darlin'. "But you owe me one." That was definitely flirty. And it ain't like I won't take her up on it as soon as we get home, but there's somethin' we gotta talk over, and, besides, we still got another hour or so drivin'.

"I'll consider it even if you come up with somethin' to help Nat." They're both sound asleep in back, holdin' hands. They're so exhausted from goin' out, all the commotion, and I could just see 'em relax as soon as we put 'em in the car seats to head back home.

"Oh, Logan......." Big sigh there. "I feel so awful about the whole thing. I mean, we knew she was acting out because of what had happened, but we couldn't get her to talk about it until everything blew up at dinner tonight."

"Yeah, she probably gets that from me."

"Hmm. So - so what do I usually do with you when you're like that?"

"Well, I guess you make it feel OK to get that stuff out before it blows up. You know, I dunno exactly, specifically what you do, but you make it OK."

"We have to find a way to do that for Nat."

"Yeah." Well, that's progress. And we can talk 'bout it a lot more after we get home. For now, I'll take that and be happy.
"Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"You up?"

"Am now."

"I fell asleep in the car."

"I know. We're home. Dada put us in bed."

"I know. Sam?"

"Yeah?"

"Am I bad?"

"No."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"I - I was gonna hit mom."

"I know. That - that was bad."

"Then I am bad?"

"No. Mph. I dunno how to - how to say it."

"Try, OK?"

"............"

"Sam, please?"

"You got scareded by wot happened. You did it 'cause of scared, not 'cause of bad."

"So I'm not bad?"

"No."

"You're sure?"

"Yuh-huh. I feeled it."

"Whew. Good night, Sam."

"G'night. Wuv you."

"Love you too."


 

Back To The Index   Back To The Archives