Ceremony


Title: Ceremony
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating: R, violence
Disclaimer:  I don't own any of them except Sam and Nat, and I'm keeping those two ;)
Archive:  WRFA, Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask and I'll happily provide :)
Feedback:  Please?  With a little plastic bride and groom on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.
Summary: Logan and Marie's wedding day goes horribly wrong and winds up including a ceremony much more meaningful than the traditional one followed by cake and relatives.
Comments: This originated with a bunny from Tiffany asking for a story where Marie leaves her abusive husband taking a small Nat and Sam with her, and comes to the mansion, meeting Logan.  One day, the husband shows up for revenge, and somewhere along the way, Logan and Sam have a man-to-man talk where they discover they're both charter members of the Protect Marie No Matter What Club.  I loved that idea, but didn't want to do a long story right now - Summer in Yellowstone is sucking up all my fic time for the most part.  I was thinking about it anyway, when I saw last night's Buffy episode.  Right after that aired, I sat down at the computer and started writing ;) (Just for the record, I was ultra- bummed by that episode - I was hoping Xander would come to his senses........)  The episode also reminded me of a long ago bunny from Keli - one asking for a fic about an L/R wedding but without actually writing the wedding itself, giving me the chance to smite two sharp-toothed furry demons with one fic ;) Lastly, the inspiration for Nat's wedding day swim was provided by my youngest goddaughter - she was slightly soggy, and they had to do a little re-consecration at the church, but otherwise, it was fine ;)

----------------------------------------------------------



"Whatcha doin' kid?"  Didn't think I'd find the little guy just pokin' 'round by himself out here.  Marie's almost paranoid 'bout keepin' an eye on him.  'Course, Marie's probably pretty busy at the moment, but still. 

"Nuffin'.  Just finkin'."  You know, I'm gonna kinda miss it when he finally gets that 'th' sound down.  He's cute.  Maybe I'd better just take a seat beside him on the steps for a second.  Looks like Sam does have somethin' on his mind. 

"Thinkin' 'bout what?"  Big sigh and a shrug.  God, he's so much like Marie sometimes.  Looks so much like her, both kids do.  Brown hair goin' all over the place, big brown eyes, same colorin'.  They're all her.  Beautiful kids, really.  Couldn't ask for two better ones if I made 'em myself.  "You know, uh, I'm not worried 'bout you losin' the ring or nothin'.  You'll do just fine."

"I know."  Well, OK, shot in the dark #1 missed totally.  Maybe the direct approach would be better.  Works on his mom sometimes. 

"Looks like you're worried 'bout somethin', there, kid.  Wanna tell me what it is?"  And just like his mom, he gives me a little look that says 'ok, but remember you asked for it' just before he gives up the goods. 

"You're gonna change once you get married to mommy.  You're gonna get all mean.  I don't want you to change.  I like you how you are now.  But I know you'll change."  Aha.  Shoulda figured.  Last guy his mom was married to was an asshole.  Probably the only good thing the son of a bitch ever did was produce Sam and his sister.  Poor little guy thinks walkin' down the aisle and sayin' the vows is gonna turn me into the same kinda fuckhead.  "Well, I've been finkin' and I decided that you're not gonna hurt my mom.  I'm bigger now and I'm not gonna let you."  Aw, that just rips at your heart right there - I'm a badass four-year-old, so stay clear of my mom.  "You can't hurt Nat either.  She's just a little kid." 

"I gotcha, Sam."  Marie said that was the last straw, when she saw her husband shakin' Nat so hard he coulda taken her head off.  Kid was only a coupla weeks old.  Dickhead was beatin' on Marie on a daily basis but she stuck with 'em outta respect for the vows, and outta wantin' the kids to have a dad.  Well, that, and plus, he was a mutie, with some kinda natural resistance to her mutation.  Probably the only guy in the world who could touch her skin.  I don't blame her for wantin' that.  But once he started layin' hands on the kids, she didn't hesitate, she packed 'em both up in the car, drove all the way from Alaska to the other end of the continent, got as far away as she could go.  God, I really shoulda killed that asshole when he showed up at the mansion lookin' for Marie and the kids a couple weeks behind her, I really shoulda.  If he ever comes here again.Well, time to think 'bout what to do now, how to tell it to Sam so he understands.  Plenty of time to plot the slow and painful demise of that evil bastard later.  "But, kid, you don't hafta worry.  It isn't gettin' married that makes people turn mean.  You either start out that way or you don't.  I'm never, ever gonna hurt you or your mom or your sister, and you can kick my ass but good if I ever do.  I'm not gonna change, Sam, I'm gonna be the same guy I've been ever since you've known me.  Only thing that's gonna change is that all of us are gonna have the same last name.  That's 'bout it."

"I dunno."

Wonder if he'll let me scoot him inta my lap.  Gotta be careful not to mess up his little tux.  There we go.  "Hey, I know you've been through a lotta crap and this is - well, it's kinda scary.  But we've all been livin' together for almost a year now.  You know what I'm like.  I'm kinda messy, kinda loud, kinda smelly, but I ain't mean.  Not to you guys."

"Not so far."  Hmph.  Tough little guy.  Well, I guess I wouldn't be any less protective of Marie. 

"I guess it comes down to this - are you willin' to take a chance?  Do you trust me enough to try it out, to see if I'm tellin' the truth, to see that I ain't gonna change?"  Big thoughts for a little kid, but Marie always says to just talk to 'em like adults.  That's what she usually does.  When it's too much, they kinda letcha know.  I think that was just 'bout right.  Sam's thinkin' it over. 

"Mommy told me she don't fink you're gonna change.  She told me that she's pretty sure."  He ain't so sure himself, I can tell, but I think he's gonna give it a go.  He's thinkin' it through, turnin' it over in his head.  "I guess if you're sure too, then we can try."

"I'm sure.  And thanks - thanks, Sam.  I appreciate you doin' that, and I appreciate you lookin' out for your mom.  I wanna look out for her too, for all of ya, and that's what I'm gonna promise today in fronta God and everybody.  I'm gonna be sure to keep those promises, Sam, all the time."

"OK then."  Whew.  I think he actually does feel better 'bout the whole thing.  I'm gettin' the hang of this parentin' stuff.

"Sam?  Sam?!  Where are you?"  Oh, shit, that's Marie's voice.  He did get lost or get away from whoever was watchin' him and she sounds just 'bout beside herself. 

"Come on, kid, we'd better - "

"Over here, mommy!"  Good kid.  Helluva a good kid.  Runnin' up the steps to find her, knows she's worried.  Don't like to make his mom worry.  Like I said, couldnta made better kids with Marie myself.  Although I might still wanna give that a try one of these days

"Oh, Sam!  I was looking all over for you!"  Wouldya look at that?  She looks drop-dead damn gorgeous.  White's her color, that's for sure, and that dress hugs her body in all the right places.  "Honey, I told you to stick close to Jubilee while I put my dress on.  What happened?"

"Nat went swimmin' in the fountain, mom, and Jubilee went down to get her out."

"The fountain?  Oh, no - she went into the baptismal?"

"Yuh-huh."

"Did Jubes get her out?  Is she OK?"

"Oh yeah, but Jubilee hadta dry her off and fix her clothes.  She told me to wait here."  She's still huggin' him to her like there's no tomorrow.  "It's OK, mommy, I was with Logan."

"Oh, thank God."

"Don't worry, darlin', he's fine.  We were just havin' a little man-to-man talk before the weddin'."  I bet she can guess 'bout what.  I bet she did, judgin' by that warm look she's givin' me now.  God, is it time for the honeymoon yet?  "I'll go find Nat 'cause we're about to get this show on the road, ain't we?"

"Yeah.  Thanks, Logan."  Those two little words mean a lot, and her trustin' me with her kids means a whole lot.  When she first got to Chuck's place, she took to me right away.  Still dunno exactly why.  I mean, back then, I was just the resident bad-ass, pretty much of a loner, and I didn't have no kid experience.  Not exactly Mr. Rogers if ya know what I mean.  But Marie, she just took to me.  Started talkin' to me.  Let Sam play with me even though she didn't trust anybody else to be alone with the kids.  I've asked her a coupla times why that was - all she's ever said was that she knew right off that I was a good person.  She said it shines right outta me.  Now, I appreciate the compliment, but part of me still wonders if that's some kinda Marie-specific vision goin' on there.  Just 'bout everyone else sees me as the complete opposite of that.  "Send Nat in when you find her - I can't go down the aisle without my maid of honor, even if she did get her dress all wet." 

Heh.  I still remember Nat stompin' her little foot and insistin' on bein' the 'may of honoo,' even if she don't quite know what it means.  She's only three, but she knows enough to know it's somethin' special, and that it's the closest spot to her mom durin' the weddin'.  Hadta make Sam best man to match, naturally.  Truth is, I'd trust him not to lose the ring more than I'd trust Scooter or Chuck.  He's a focused little kid when he wantsta be.  "Will do.  The best man and me are on it.  And hey - you'd better get.  It's bad luck for me to see ya in your dress before the weddin'."  Just teasin'.  She don't believe in all those superstitious things.  Marie, she's pretty level-headed.  Makes me wonder how she got hooked up with an asshole in the first place.  Well, I'm gonna be a helluva lot better to her than the last guy, that's for damn sure.  Her level head is gonna do her right this time.  Yeah, it's gonna be a beautiful weddin'.  A perfect weddin'.  Nothin' can go wrong today.







I'd like the answer to a question.  And it's even a simple fuckin' question.  Why the hell do they put that 'if anyone objects, speak now' part in the ceremony?  It's just askin' for trouble, I tell ya.  And here's another question - how the hell did Marie's ex-husband infiltrate not only the mansion grounds but the chapel itself?  God knows we've got security out the ass both places, and I shoulda smelled him, even with all the other people and wedding scents, but no, we all got the shock of our lives when the dickhead jumps up and says 'I object!' right at that part.  Fucker. 

This wasn't how I wanted the weddin' to be.  I can have a good, solid round of mayhem and violence any old day.  Hell, that's part of why I joined Chuck's team.  There's not a lotta jobs that allow for legal ass-kickin' or that pay this well for it.  On my weddin' day, I coulda passed on it; I just wanted some peace and quiet.  But oh no, that's not how it turned out.  Turns out that Marie's ex-jackass managed to sneak in not only himself but also a sawed off shotgun.  Didn't anybody in the chapel think that a man comin' in wearin' a big overcoat in June was a little odd?  Christ, we've really gotta do somethin' 'bout the security here.  We might as well have just put up a big sign - Revenge on Your Ex- Wife, This Way.

"Are you OK, darlin'?"  Took a bullet for her.  Actually, ended up takin' a bunch.  But one got around me somehow.  I think it was when she lunged for Sam, to grab him back from attackin' his dad.  Got her right in the heart.  Smack dab, middle of it, couldnta been a more lethal shot if that bastard had all day to take aim.  Freaked me out, I don't mind tellin' ya.  Thought I was gonna lose her right then and there, right at the altar on our weddin' day.  But thanks to both of our handy little mutations, all she got is a helluva headache instead of a trip to the morgue in her weddin' gown.  'Course, she got more than that to be truthful.  I held on so damn long that it wasn't workin' no more, so she's got my powers permanently now.  Held on until my heart stopped, Jeannie says.  I dunno.  I was out for about an hour.  Even if it stopped it obviously started again pretty quick, and Marie got enough healin' to fix her heart so everythin's OK. 

Well, everythin's OK if you don't count the fact that we didn't end up married on our weddin' day.  And the fact that she got blood all over her weddin' dress.  And the fact that the kids just 'bout lost it.  Sam's still snifflin' a little and Nat is all scared and pissed off.  'Course, the fact that Scooter made himself useful for once in his goddamn life and put a optic blast right between Marie's ex-husband's eyes kinda makes up for the bad stuff.  Woulda liked to kill him myself, definitely, but him bein' dead is nothin' but a good thing.  In fact, that human piece of shit buyin' it is about the best thing ever, besides one - me bein' able to touch Marie.  That also happened today, because of the permanent power transfer, but we haven't had much time to do anythin' 'bout it. 

"I think I'm OK.  How about you?"

"I'm good."  Tired, a little sore, but really, I'm doin' a helluva lot better than anybody else would be after gettin' all shot up like that.  "Could use you a little bit closer to me, though, darlin'.  Come on over here."  I don't wanna go nuts here or scare her, but ever since her skin stopped workin' on me, I really don't like it when she wanders outta arm's reach.  Honestly, she should really be in bed.  She's gotta be exhausted and I know her head's poundin'.  But the kids won't settle, and I know Marie, she won't go to sleep until they do.  She's got both of 'em on the little couch, watchin' some kid video, tryin' to get back to normal a little, but their eyes haven't gone to that TV screen once.  They've both kept a close watch on their mom, two sets of big brown eyes just like hers followin' her wherever she goes.  And now they're just itchin' to come over on this couch with us, I can tell. "You guys too, come on."  They don't need to be asked twice. 

You know, we planned to be at Niagra Falls right about now.  All of us, kids too, 'cause Marie would just be too nervous leavin' 'em and 'cause I didn't mind havin' 'em along at all, but still, I was plannin' on some nocturnal quality time alone with my new wife right about now.  Well, I guess I should've learned by now that, in life, shit hardly ever works out like you plan it.  And I can't complain. I got Marie, both kids are safe, and the guy who hurt 'em all is gonna be worm food in short order.  Coulda been a helluva lot worse. 

"Mommy.."  Sam, he's takin' it hard, hangin' onta her for dear life.  He was all guts at the chapel, all ready to defend his mom and his sister, all ready to kick ass on somebody who he's scared to death of, somebody three times as big as him and wieldin' a gun to boot, but you can tell he's all emotional and upset now.  Marie says kids who get hurt young are sometimes like that - all game-face when some shit is goin' down, but cryin' a river and totally a wreck as soon as it's over.  Guess that's true for this little guy. 

"It's OK, Sam.  I'm just fine, it's OK.  Shhh."  Nat's crawlin' up on her lap too, grabbin' on.  She don't show it as much, at least not in tears, but I'd bet she's every bit as upset as Sam is.  Nat, she's got her momma's fire in her.  She'd rather get mad than cry, but I know her emotions run just as deep.  "Everything's going to be OK.  I'm so sorry you guys had to see all that, and I know it was scary, but we're OK now."

"Yeah.  I'm gonna make sure nothin' happens to you or your mom.  We didn't get to finish the weddin', but, believe me, we're a family, and I'm gonna protect ya."  Hope that helped.  I'm still not really sure how to deal with stuff sometimes. 

"No more webbins!  No wanna be may of honoo, mommy!"  Nat, crossin' her little arms and shakin' her head.  "Wight?"  Lookin' to her big brother for support. 

"I don't fink we should do anoffer one, mom.  I don't fink so.  They don't go good."  Well, there's the understatement of the year.  Kid'll be shakin' in his tux if we ever attempt this again, probably just waitin' for the gunfire to start.    Hey - I got an idea. 

"I think they're right, Marie.  A weddin' - a big thing in a church and all the stuff that goes with it - maybe we shouldn't try that again.  Maybe we should just get married and ditch the weddin' part of it.  You know, do somethin' real simple.  We could still all go to the Falls, we could do it there.  But just the four of us, and a minister.  No big decorations, no crowd, no cake, no fancy clothes.  Just us.  Just the family.  Whaddya think?" 

Big teary brown eyes sayin' yes and now her head is noddin' too.  "I like that idea.  What do you guys think?"

"OK, dada."  God, that got me.  Got me right in the heart, big time.  Nat called out 'dad!' when the shootin' started and it took me a second to realize she was callin' to me, not to the guy with the gun.  Wasn't sure if that was just the stress or the fear or what, but if that's what she's gonna call me from here on out, that's fine by me. 

"OK."  Got Sam's consent too.  But he's still bothered by somethin', I can tell.  " But I hafta tell you somefing."  Oh-oh.  He usually says that before he fesses up to a little misbehavior.  He couldnta gotten inta any trouble today, though, could he?  I mean with what all was happenin' and - "I don't got the ring.  I dunno where it went, but I don't got it no more.  Sorry."   And he's lookin' at me like I might smack him inta next week for that.  Holy hell.  Gotta fix that. 

"It's all right.  I'm not worried 'bout the ring, kid."  Cost a thousand and change, and it was platinum, but I honestly don't give a good shit about it now.  "We'll get somebody to look around for it later.  It's OK.  I'm not mad."  He still looks a little skeptical.  I'm just gonna give him a manly kinda hug.  You know, the one that says 'I really love you but, hey, we're still men.'  "Most important thing is that you're all OK.  And you did the right thing, Sam, you did just what I woulda in your situation.  You forgot all about the ring and concentrated on your mom and your sister.  That was good.  That was right.  We can always get another ring.  We can't get another Nat or another mom for the family here.  You did good." 

There we go, that's the dam breakin'.  He's huggin' back now, cryin' up a storm.  Go on ahead, I gotcha.  I gotcha, son. 







"Hey."  Marie, all finished tuckin' the kids in, looks like.  My fiancee's quite a looker, even when her hair's all messed up and her eye makeup is all smeared and she's still wincin' a little from her headache. 
"Hey, darlin'.  They asleep?"

"Mmm-hmm.  I'd brace ourselves for some nightmares tonight, though. I would actually probably be surprised if they didn't have some."  Marie has 'em sometimes too, usually 'bout her ex.  If I hadta make a wager, I'd bet those'll be on the decline now.  "You were great today, you know.  Beyond great.  You were amazing, life-saving, absolutely phenomenal."  Hello.  Little hands workin' their way up my back underneath my shirt as she's huggin' me.  Little naked hands.  Mmmm........it *is* my weddin' night, you know. 

"Just lookin' out for what's mine.  Glad as hell you're OK, baby.  Scared me for a second there.  Thought I might lose ya."

"I could've lost you too.  I could've killed you."

"Nah.  I'm tough.  'Sides - no way I'd miss out on my weddin' night, darlin'."  Aw, foldin' her body right inta mine, layin' her head on my shoulder.  Tears are gonna come now, that's for sure.  She's so steady in fronta the kids, she tries so hard for that, that sometimes I forget she's not really so steady on the inside.  Hell, I don't blame her, not one bit.  I'm sure this was pretty much her worst nightmare of how her weddin' day would go.  I shouldn't be crackin' jokes 'bout this bein' our weddin' night, that was a dumbass thing to do.  "It's all OK now.  I gotcha.  I'm gonna take care of you and the two little ones, don't worry 'bout a thing, baby.  I know things got all messed up and the ceremony got all ruined.  I'm sorry you didn't get the weddin' you dreamed of, but we'll have a real nice quiet ceremony at the Falls.  We're gonna get married, and everythin's gonna be just fine." 

"I just - I was so scared.  When he caught up with me here the first time, he said he'd find a way to make me pay for leaving him, for divorcing him, and as soon as he stood up in the chapel and yelled out, I thought for sure that was it, that he'd kill us all.  You, me, the kids - I was so happy, so full of love and everything was perfect and then all of a sudden, in - in just a second, all of that got taken away from me and I was terrified and helpless all over again.  It was so horrible, Logan, that I can't even find the words for it."

"Shhh.  I know."  Lookin' up at me.  Maybe to see if I really get it or -

"But you stopped it.  You found a way to reverse all those horrible things.  You saved me, and the kids, and you didn't hesitate, not for a second, even though you could've gotten killed saving me.  I can't think of any vow more profound than you touching me like that, than you giving your life - your *life* - to me like you did on the altar."

"Marie....."  I love her.  I've known that for a long time, probably within minutes of meetin' her.  But her lookin' at me like this right now, holdin' me, touchin' me, openin' her heart and soul right up to me - that's a whole different level, a much deeper thing.  I wanna say 'I love you' but that don't cover it.  Not by a long shot. 

"I want you to take me to our bed."  God, that's good - her holdin' my face in her hands, eyes on fire for me.  I don't think I've ever been the object of that much emotion.  Never.  "I want you to lay me down, and I want you to lay down next to me.  Then, I'm going to make love with you.  We don't need words.  I'm going to love marrying you at the Falls with both of our kids - and they really are *our* kids now - with both of our kids there.  But we don't really need any more words, any more ceremonies, or any more vows.  I can't imagine anything more powerful, more binding, or more complete than what we did today at the chapel.  We're married, and tonight - tonight is our wedding night.  It wasn't the wedding I dreamed of, but this is the marriage I dreamed of, and you are so much better than anything I ever dreamed of.  We're married."  She's right.  I've never felt anything more true than that.  We're married.  She's my wife.  Sam and Nat are our kids.  We're a family.  That's true.  I feel it.  I know it.  "Logan, I want you to take me to bed."

"Right now."  Gonna carry her too - isn't that a weddin' tradition?  "But darlin', I wantcha to know I feel like that too.  Everythin' you said - I can feel it in me."  A few more tears but happy ones.  "Come on, darlin', let's go to bed.  I wanna touch you.  I wanna love you.  Come on."  Got her.  Got her in my arms now.  Never gonna let her go.

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives