Perspectives

Perspectives

Title: Perspectives
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  PG-13, swearing and butt-grabbing.  But legal butt-grabbing.
Disclaimer:  I don't own any of them, except Moonbeam.  Rats.
Archive:  WRFA, Dolphin Haven, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask and I'll happily provide :)
Feedback:  Please?  With whipped cream on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome.
Summary: Some different perspectives on Logan and Marie, and their own perspectives on things. 
Comments:  This is in response to Lateo's birthday bunny - darn all those February birthdays! - that asked for a fic where a slightly edgier but still sweet Rogue came to the school and described Logan as really sweet - leading everyone to be surprised when the actual Logan shows up.  The bunny asked for Rogue to be a student, but in her early twenties, and I couldn't work that one out, so I punted, making her a painter ;)  Also, her edginess here comes from having spent a great deal of her formative years not only with Logan but with a fair dose of him in her head, and she manages to contain it pretty well, keeping it mostly in her own thoughts ;)  I hope Lateo likes it, even though, as usual, it's not quite the bunny she intended ;)

------------------------------------------------------------



"It's an honor to have you with us."  She is certainly not what I expected.  Of course, the expectations I had were half-formed ideas based on what scant information there is about her personal life.  The mysterious Rogue leaves much to the imagination of her public.  Interesting that she has disclosed that she is a mutant, though.  That gives me some hope of this being a very productive visit.  I did, after all, invite her here with a bit more in mind than a new mural for the school's great hall. 

"Thank you for inviting me, Professor Xavier.  I've never done a project of this nature before."  Carefully friendly, yes, that's how I would describe her.  And young, very young-looking, although her art dealer said that she was in her early twenties.  I wonder if that is correct - she could easily be mistaken for one of our students.  Very graceful as well, although I suspect that the nature of her mutation must have wrought a very good awareness of how she moves in proximity to others.  I wonder if she paints with her gloves on.  "It'll be a challenge."

"Yes, well, as I mentioned to, ah, Moonbeam is it?"  I wonder if that small smile means that she regards her art dealer with a little amusement, much as I did upon speaking with her.  Such a character to be working in the serious art world.  "I mentioned to Ms. Charisma that I have purchased several of your works and enjoyed them greatly.  You have great talent, Ms. Rogue."

"Thank you.  She did mention that.  Did she tell you that my husband will be joining me in a few days?" 

"Yes.  We have prepared a guest suite for you both.  I will look forward to meeting him.  Is he an artist as well?"

"No."  Again, that small smile.  I admit, I am curious - with her severe mutation, I was surprised to find that she had married.  While certainly not impossible, it must be very difficult to have intimate relations without endangering her partner.  Her husband must be a very sweet, caring man indeed.  "Can you show me to the room you'd like painted?  I can spend some time taking a look and then we can talk about supplies.  How does that sound?"

Ah yes, back to business.  "Of course.  This way."





"So who's the new freak?"

"Jubilee, that's inappropriate."  Like just about everything else you do.  Honestly, I love all my students, all the kids, but Jubes just tries my patience sometimes.  "Her name is Rogue and she's painting a mural in the great hall.  She's an artist, a very good one, and the professor hired her." 

"I heard she was a mutie.  Killer skin."

"That's right."  I used to think that I had the worst mutation - lethal, uncontrollable before the visor Jean made for me.  I revised that opinion after hearing about Rogue's.  It's a shame, especially for such a beautiful girl.  "But if you refrain from bothering her like I've asked you to, it shouldn't be a problem."

"So, she's just here to paint, you're not trying to recruit her to the team or to teach us art or something?" 

Actually, both, but Jubilee couldn't keep a secret to save her life.  "She's just here to paint."

"I don't *get* art anyway - I mean, the Prof. is probably spending a big honking chunk of money on some picture for the walls.  That money could go for practical stuff."

"Art is important.  It adds to the quality of life, and that's practical."  I've always had a love of art and a fascination with artists.  I think it's part of why I fell so in love with Jean - in her own way, she's an artist, all doctors are.  Healing - that's an art of it's own.  Rogue's kind of art is every bit as practical, just not as obviously so.

"Not as practical as a new pair of those really cute chunky-heel boots would be."  Patience, Scott, patience.  The girl is only fifteen.  No need to strangle some sense into her while she still has a chance to grow out of it.  "Look at her dude, she's not even painting anything.  She's just staring at the walls with a brush in her hand."

"She's thinking through what she wants to do before she starts doing it.  That's a lesson you might find beneficial, Jubilee."

"Hmph.  Well, whatever, I'm outta here, dude."  At last.  Maybe now I can go say hello to Rogue without having to worry about Jubilee doing something embarrassing.  I should knock first.  "Hello?"

"Oh - hello."  Bad timing.  I clearly interrupted her train of thought there.  Off to a good start, Summers.  "Come on in."

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.  I'm Scott Summers, one of the teachers here."  Is handshaking proper?  Her hands are bare and so are mine, but maybe I should extend my hand anyway.  Or would that be -

"Rogue.  Nice to meet you.  I'd shake, but, ah, it'd kill you."  Very smooth, very gracious.  I would bet that she's had a lot of experience putting people at ease about her mutation.  "The Professor mentioned you."

"I hope he said at least a few good things about me."  A little humor never hurts.  And sometimes it gets a really good smile, like that one. 

"All good things.  One of them was that you liked my work and were something of an art buff yourself."  Am I blushing?  Oh God, I've got to stop that.  That's not very professional or impressive.  Not that I'm trying to impress her, but she's an esteemed artist and - "Any ideas for this space?  The Professor's given me no restraints but that also means no guidance for what he'd like.  You know the school and Professor Xavier pretty well - what do you think he'd like in here?"

"Um, I'm sure whatever you do would make him happy.  He's a big fan of your work."  That wasn't the answer she was looking for.  But I'm no 'art buff' - I don't know that much about art history or anything.  She probably knows more than I ever will.  I don't want to say something and look like an idiot.  Then again, maybe I've already accomplished that, what with the blushing and the not answering her question.  Good one, Summers.  You might as well have brought Jubilee.  At least she'd be a distraction from your own idiocy.  "You know, I bet anything touching on the things most important to him - education, the children, mutant rights - anything with those themes would be great." 

"Thanks."  That's better.  "It's harder, sometimes, to start with a blank slate, you know?"

"Yeah.  I'm just going to head back to class now."  Where I actually know what I'm doing.  "If you need anything, feel free to grab me - I'm usually around."

"Thanks, Scott.  Nice meeting you."

"Same here."  Whew.  There's something about her that's a little nerve-wracking up close.  Not the mutation - maybe it's just that I really admire her talent so much or that she's so - so - I don't know - she has quite a presence in person.  Whatever it is, I've got to get a grip.  I don't want her to think we're a school full of blithering idiots.  That wouldn't be conducive to getting her on the team, not at all.






So - education, children, mutant rights.  At least that's a starting point.  Better than nothing.  OK, so let's think.  What among those jumps out at me?  Not education - Lord knows I've never been especially fond of it.  Children - well, I hope Logan and I will have some one day, but I've never really liked other people's children.  I'm not the school teacher or nanny type, that's for sure.  Mutant rights.  That could be something.  I know they passed the amendment to the bill of rights and all, but it's still not exactly a mutie-friendly world, and that does push my buttons.  But where to go with that for a mural at a school?  

You know, maybe I shouldn't have taken on this project.  The challenge of doing something new was interesting, and the money was *very* good, but it's going to take some time and a lot of effort.  Well, I guess I'll just focus on the money.  It'll mean that we'll be set for a good long while and that Logan can stop fighting.  I've got to work on a way to convince him to get out of that for good.  I hate seeing him get hurt, and even if it is good money -

KNOCK

Sheesh.  Another interruption.  Well, smile and put on the happy face, Rogue.  You're getting paid to do a job and you might as well be nice to the natives.  God, Logan's grumpiness really is rubbing off on me, isn't it?  "Yes?"

"Hello, I'm Doctor Jean Grey.  I just wanted to drop by and say hello."

"Hello, Doctor."  Somehow, I get the impression that she's not the kind of person who would take well to being addressed by her first name by a new acquaintance.  "Nice to meet you."

"I noticed my fiancée, Scott, in here a moment ago."  Aha.  Checking up on the fiancée and marking her territory - not a sign of a healthy relationship, but then again, to each their own. 

"Yes, he stopped by to introduce himself.  I think he said he was on his way to class." 

"Really?"  You know, I don't know what it is, but women always do this.  I'm not that pretty - well, not to anyone but Logan - and I have a lethal mutation that prevents skin-to-skin touching, so I don't get why women always seem to see me as some kind of threat.  Besides, it's not like I'm looking.  I'm more than happy with my husband, thank you very much.  Don't I send out those 'I'm happily married and also very dangerous' vibes or something?  I've got to work on that.  "Oh.  Well, I know he admires your paintings.  I'm glad he got to meet you."  Yeah, yeah, I get it - you want to convey that you are secure enough in your relationship to compliment a potential rival.  Uh-huh.  That won't work real well on someone who can smell your insecurity.  Moving on.  "I'm sure the mural will be wonderful."

"Well, we'll see.  I'm still figuring it out a bit."  Maybe it's because she's obviously older than him that she's got a little anxiety going.  I should try not to be offended or anything.  She doesn't know that I can smell her jealousy.  I should just try to be nice.  Sisterhood, and all.  But I hate it when women just assume that other women are after their man, that we're all scheming, conniving bitches out to steal their man away from them, like that's the most important thing in the world.  She really should know better - she's an educated woman, a doctor.  Not very feminist of you to react that way, Dr. Grey. 

"How long do you think the mural will take?"  Translation - how long am I going to have to worry about you being around my fiancée, and could you hurry your ass up? 

"It's hard to tell.  I've never done a project like this before.  The Professor has been very generous - he's offered to let me and my husband stay until it's finished, however long it takes."  There.  Maybe the big, obvious mention of my HUSBAND will make her feel better.  Logan was right - enhanced senses, the ability to tell what people are really feeling about you - it can suck sometimes.  I'd rather not know all the time. 

"Oh, Charles is a very generous man."  Yes, you know him well enough to call him 'Charles,' you're his favorite and much more meaningful to him than some artist whose paintings he buys.  Yes, I get that.  Sheesh, she's annoying.  Does this really work on anyone?  I mean, it's fairly obvious, even without my senses.  "I'm sure you'll both enjoy your stay."

"Thanks." 

"I'll leave you to it, then."  Please do.  "Nice meeting you."  Buh-bye.  Back to the mural. 






Fancy place.  Shoulda figured it'd be pretty nice after hearin' what they're payin' Marie to paint a coupla their walls.  Well, that's her money.  I made enough for us from the fights to set us up nice for a while.  Was worth stayin' up there for the couple extra days even if it did mean sendin' Marie down here by herself.  Never like to do that, but the money was too good on both ends to pass up.  Wonder if she made some headway with the paintin'.  She said it might take her a few weeks or even a month.  I know she said the guy who owns the place set up a spot for us, but I'd really rather stay in the camper if we're gonna be here a while.  Don't like bein' around strange people.

"Yes, may I help you?"  Cute kid.  Guess she must be one of the students.  Smells a little scared of me but hey, that's par for the course.  I ain't a friendly guy. 

"Yeah, I'm lookin' for Rogue."

"Rogue?"

"Yeah, Rogue the painter."  She'd better damn well be here.  'Cause if somethin' happened and she didn't make it here, I'm gonna lose it and this school is gonna have a claw-mark mural in it's front lobby.  "She's here, right?"

"Um"  Reachin' for the phone to call somebody.  Maybe she dunno nothin' 'bout the paintin' thing.  Marie just better fuckin' be here and in one piece.  "Professor?  There's someone here to see Rogue.  I - I think you should, um, send someone out here.  Now." Scared, definitely.  "Um, someone will be right with you."

"Look, I don't bite.  Is Rogue here or not?"

"All - all guests have to, um, register.  Would you sign the book, please?"  OK, I know she's freakin' out 'cause I must look kinda rough - no shavin' for days, all dressed in denim and leather, and then there's the general bad-ass look I have normally.  But I'm at the end of my patience here. 

"I'll sign the damn book once you answer my question - is Rogue here or not?"

"Hello, I am Charles Xavier.  May I help you?"  They sent a guy in a wheelchair out to deal with me?  "You were looking for Rogue, I believe?"

"Yeah.  Is she here?"

"Who may I ask is inquiring?"  Polite fuckin' people.  God, how I hate 'em.

"Her husband is inquirin', and he's also the one who's about to trash this place if he don't get an answer - now where the hell is she?"

"Her husband?"  Yeah, yeah, I know - I ain't who ya probably pictured hookin' up with her, but get over it.  "I shall have her, ah, summoned to the foyer.  Please have a seat."

"So she's here then?"  One simple answer to one simple fuckin' question shouldn't be this hard to get. 

"Yes.  Kitty, please call the great hall phone.  Ask Ms. Rogue to come here."  I guess Wheels don't wanna leave me alone with a defenseless kid.  Wait - what'd he say his name was?  Xavier?  That's the guy who hired Marie, I think.  Aw, shit, I'm pissin' off her boss.  "May I get you anything?  A drink?"

"Uh, no.  Sorry - sorry 'bout that.  I just get a little shitty when people don't answer the question, you know?  No offense."  This is why I like my line of work better than hers.  I don't hafta be nice to anyone.  Let alone dealin' with some new-age nutjob of a dealer on a regular basis.  It's enough of a strain not to claw Moonbeam Whatsherface.

"Logan!"  Whew - there's my girl.  Comin' over to hug me.  Hell, yeah, baby, it's been too long.  "You're early!"

"Drove all night.  Missed ya."  Heh - old baldie's checkin' out my hand on her ass.  Hey, she's my wife, I've got legal rights to that particular booty, so I can grab a hold of it if I wanna.  Loosen up, Wheels.  "Done paintin' yet?"  'Cause I don't like it here already.

"No, I've just barely started.  But I'm so glad you're here.  Maybe you can help me out a little."  She always gets me to 'help' - mostly it's just sittin' and watchin' her do the paintin'.  Sometimes I get a brush or mix somethin' for her.  I think she just likes havin' me around.  No complaints.  "How did the fights go?"

"Good.  I won."

"Ah, so you are a boxer, then?"  Right, her boss. 

"No."  I don't really like explainin' myself, and Marie's givin' me the 'sorry' look for slippin' up and talkin' 'bout it in fronta this guy, so let's just leave it.  "Let's see whatcha got so far, darlin'.  Nice - uh, nice to meetcha, Professor."  Maybe that'll help make up for bein' kinda pissy to him.  I don't want him to upset Marie by firin' her or somethin'. 

"Likewise."  Yeah, right.  Think I can't smell ya?  "Welcome to Xavier's School for the Gifted.  I'm sure Rogue will fill you in and show you around.  Good evening."  So long, baldie. 

"So, you gonna show me around?"  Just in case she didn't catch my tone, I'll give her a little squeeze to that legally-mine booty. 

"Logan.."  Blushin'.  God, screw the paintin', where's her bed?







"And he's totally hairy!  Kitty said she could see his all this dark, nasty chest hair peeking out over his collar and his head hair was all wild and pointy and he looked like he hadn't shaved in *months*!  I mean, who likes hairy guys?  None of the cute boys on TV have all that hair - as if!  And he just came from some kind of fight, and Kitty said he smelled like smoke and beer - although how does she know what beer smells like?  She's such a goody-goody all the time that - "

"Good morning, Jubilation.  Am I interrupting?" Whew.  Storm.  She's moderately cool so she probably won't bust us for gossiping over breakfast. 

"I was just telling Bobby about the mysterious Ms. Rogue's husband.  He's a total caveman!  Kitty was here when he came in." 

"A caveman?" 

"You know, all buff and burly, knuckles dragging along the ground - Kitty said that he was grabbing Ms. Rogue's - uh - butt, her butt, right in front of everybody!"  I have *got* to learn to do that one eyebrow raising thing that she does.  It's cool.  "And then I heard from St. John, who's three doors down, that he, like, totally could hear them having sex all night long."

"Jubilation, it is not wise to - "

"I know, I know, Ms. Munroe, but come on, something's going on there!  She's, like, supposed to be this really cool artist and all and have killer skin, but she shows up with some animal for a husband and then goes at it all night?  Something's definitely up with that, dude, don't you think?"

"It is none of our business." 

"Maybe she'll paint a porno mural in the great hall."  Heh - that was actually moderately funny from the Bobster.  Maybe he's developing, like, a personality after all. 

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?"

"Children"  Aw, I guess that's it for the gossip.  I know that tone.  Well, that's all until Ms. Munroe leaves the table. 







"Hey."  Another freakin' mutie, I can tell by the glasses.  This place is just crawlin' with 'em, ain't it?  Marie said to try to be polite, so I guess I should say somethin' back.

"Hey."

"I'm Scott Summers.  I heard that you're Rogue's husband."  What, now I gotta shake hands?  Dammit, all I wanted was to grab somethin' outta the fridge and get back to my wife.  Now I gotta talk to this guy. 

"Yeah.  Logan."  There.  Shake.  Now leave me alone. 

"It's, ah, a pleasure to meet you.  We're all very happy to have Rogue painting the great hall.  She's really a very talented artist."  Oh no.  No way.  I can't be smellin' what I think I'm smellin'.  This little weenus has some kinda thing for Marie.  When he talks about her like that, I can smell it on him - just a hint, but it's there.  Fucker.  "We're all looking forward to seeing what the mural looks like.  I'm sure it will be just wonderful.  She's very talented."  You said that once already, dickhead. 

"Yeah, my wife's damn talented."  Maybe that little four-letter 'w' word will remind him he ain't got a chance in hell. 

"Yes.  Well, I have to admit, I was a little surprised to meet you after meeting Rogue.  You're a little different than she described you."  Doubt it.  I'd be surprised if she said anythin' 'bout me at all, besides that I was her husband.  "She said you had very refined sensibilities and a great appreciation of art."  Oh yeah, that.  She usually does say I like her art.  The sensibility thing is a little play on my - our - enhanced senses.  He musta been fishin' for somethin', though, 'cause she' wouldn't volunteer anythin'.  Pisses me off - what's he doin' fishin' for information on her husband, huh?

"I like her art.  Don't much care for anythin' else in that area."  My turn to ask some questions and do some diggin'.  "You spend some time with her, then?"  Yeah, I know that came out in a bad-ass growl.  I meant for it to.  Don't look so surprised. 

"Oh, she was nice enough to indulge a few of my questions about her work, that's all."  That better be all.  I know Marie - she wouldn't cheat on me, no way, no how.  But that don't mean this jerk wouldn't try to make a move.  "How long - how long have you two been married?"

"Few years."  He don't learn.  Here he goes fishin' for more information when he shoulda seen how pissed I already am.  Well, he don't need to know the whole story - and I bet he's the kinda guy who'd especially have a stick up his ass about me marryin' Marie when she was only sixteen.  Bet he'd get his panties all in a twist at that.  Shit, it was legal in the province that we got married in, so nobody should give a shit.  Prude.  Besides, we didn't really do nothin' until she was almost eighteen.  I'm not an asshole.  It was for her own good, so she wouldn't wind up in a foster home or somethin', bein' a kid all on her own.  It was to make sure that she'd stay with me that we did got hitched when she was sixteen.  "Hey - you married?" 

"Well, I'm engaged."

"Then stay away from my wife and stick with yours, huh?"  That and the way I slammed the refrigerator door oughta scare him off.  If he's got any sense, he'll steer clear of Marie now. 







"I know he seems a little rough around the edges, Scott, but Rogue does appear to be happy with him."

"Maybe she's afraid of him, maybe he's abusive.  He was certainly overly jealous in the kitchen - that kind of possessiveness can't be good for her." 

Honestly.  I've had enough.  It's been 'Rogue this' and 'Rogue that' ever since she got here.  "It's her choice, honey.  I'm sure they're fine."

"But what if she needs help or what if - "

"Scott - "  Maybe my all-business tone will clue him in here.  Who wants to talk about another woman with your fiancée?  "It's not our concern.  And why are you so involved with her anyway?  You don't really know anything about her."

"Well, it's just that she seems like such a nice person and - "

"Nice?  Let me tell you something, Scott, people like her, artists - they're not nice.  They're usually an emotional train-wreck.  Obviously, she's got some issues that she's acting out with this guy.  Maybe it's a father-figure thing, who knows?  And she won't tell anyone much about herself or give out her real name - what does that tell you?  I'll tell you what it tells you - issues.  She's got issues.  I know you might feel sorry for the poor thing, but you don't want to get yourself involved in her little emotional dramas, Scott.  Trust me.  I've got much more experience in relationships and dealing with people than you do."

What?  Why is he giving me that look?  "That's not a very compassionate attitude."

"It's a very compassionate attitude, it's just simply not overly indulgent, Scott.  I have all the compassion in the world for her, I really do.  But I'm not going to bend over backwards to accommodate whatever little games she likes to play.  Look - she married this guy, she's with him now, and that's her choice.  She's a big girl, and she knows how to take care of herself, I'm sure.  She certainly has the means to do so with what she must make from her paintings."  It's not like she's helpless.  She just wants attention - I mean, why else would she bring a husband like that here in the first place?

"You don't like her."

"What?"

"You don't like her for some reason."

"I like her just fine.  I'm just not fawning all over her like she's Picasso like all the rest of you are doing."

"What's wrong?  Are you - are you jealous?"

Jealous!  Of that little girl?  How ridiculous.  "No, of course not."  Even if Scott wanted to cheat on me with her, he couldn't because of her skin.  Does he think I don't realize that?  Of course I'm not jealous. 

"Then what's wrong?  Why don't you like her?"

"Let's just go to bed, Scott."  There's no more productive conversation to be had here.  Scott's just not listening.  That kind of immaturity is just one of the hazards of getting involved with a younger man.  He'll think differently in the morning, he will.  We just have to sleep on it. 






"So, what do you think?"  It's - it is truly amazing.  In excess of my expectations, certainly, but beyond even my best hopes as well.  It is an amazing mural.  Typical of her style - impressionistic and very colorful, but also a bit different than anything I have seen of hers before.  The figures she chose - not leaders of the mutant rights movement, but variety of ordinary mutants engaging in everyday tasks - are very moving.  The section with the normal-looking mother gazing lovingly into her green, scaly son's yellow eyes as she prepares his lunch is especially touching.  Very effective, the different scenes of ordinary interaction with mutants. 

"I am overwhelmed.  You have done a marvelous job.  Thank you very much."  There is only one problem.  "I did not expect you to be finished so soon - you have only been here, what?  Ten days."

"I got inspired."  And I can guess from the look she is exchanging with her husband that he is the source of her inspiration, although I do not think I will ever quite understand that dynamic.  They are indeed an odd couple. 

"Yes, well, I was hoping to speak with you both about a few other matters."  I am almost certain that Logan is a mutant as well - perhaps with some natural immunity to her skin if the hallway gossip about their nightly activities is to be believed.  "As you know, we run a school here, and, as some people are aware, the X-Men have their home base at this institution."

"I think I know where you're goin' with that, Professor, and I can tell ya - Rogue ain't interested."  Now, I do not feel as strongly as Scott does about the dynamic of these two; neither is projecting any distress and both, in fact, tend to project quite a bit of affection for the other party.  However, Logan's attitude at the moment is making me reconsider those assessments a bit. 

"Perhaps Rogue would like to answer for herself."

"If what you're getting at is - would I want to be an X-Man or join the school? - well, I'm flattered, but Logan is right.  The answer's no."  Hmmm.  I wonder if perhaps she is simply saying that to appease him. 

"Please think about it.  Even if - even if you do not wish to fight mutant terrorists as an X-Man, which is perfectly understandable, we would consider it a great honor to have an art instructor of your caliber on staff.  Think of all the students, all the young minds you could reach." 

"Thank you for the offer, Professor, but teaching isn't my strong suit.  I never even finished high school.  I don't think I'd be good at it."  And I doubt I'd hear anything different from her with Logan pulling her to him so possessively at the moment.  Seemingly, what he says, goes.  Ah, well, perhaps at another time.  At least we have a wonderful new mural out of all this.

"Thank you, Rogue, for gracing us with your mural.  You are welcome back anytime, should you change your mind about the teaching offer."  Though I doubt that will happen as long as she remains married to her current husband.  Love - it is a complication at times. 







Oh-oh.  That's the yellow-clothed, annoying one.  God, was I ever fifteen?  And if I was, could I have possibly been this obnoxious?  "Hey, chica.  Don't tell me you're vacating already - is the big picture done?"

"Yes, it is.  I'm just getting together the last of my things."

"So, what did you call it?" 

"Perspectives."  And not 'Perspectives on a Mall' so you may not be interested.  Oh, I shouldn't be like that.  She's just a kid, and she's had it pretty good all her life.  She *should* enjoy shoes and shopping and stuff.  I shouldn't be all bitchy just because I didn't get to be a kid like that. 

"Cool.  Where's your love-muffin?"

"You mean my husband?"  Love-muffin - I'm going to have to tell Logan that one.  That's a good one.  Heh.  Love-muffin.

"Yeah, tall, hairy guy.  Hates Mr. Summers.  Makes you yell his name every night loud enough to be heard in the next county.  That guy."

I should be embarrassed, but, hey, we have a good sex life.  I'm not ashamed of that.  In fact, I'm grateful - I mean, we've suffered enough for it.  Logan had to die and give me his powers for us to be able to touch.  Thank God he came back and thank God he's well enough to make me scream his name every night.  But, you know, she's just a kid - she doesn't really understand all that yet.  "He's bringing our camper around."

"You, like, live in a camper?  How white trash!"  Ah yes, now I remember why she's not just innocently annoying.  There's that complete lack of tact too. 

"Well, it's ours, you know, and maybe one day when you have to support yourself you'll understand that not everyone lives in a fancy mansion."  I don't mean to go all bitchy on the kid, but that was rude. 

"Hey, no offense, chica - I meant, uh, white trash in a good way."

"Sure."  And here's Logan so we can just let it drop.  I wonder if I'd have come here instead of trying to get to Alaska - I wonder if I'd have turned out like her.  Kind of makes everything that happened on the road seem not so bad if you think about it that way.  And besides, I wouldn't have met Logan if I'd come here, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

"Look, I've got total foot-in-the-mouth-itis.  Just ignore me.  I wanted to - I wanted to catch you before you went just to say, you know - I think you're cool."  Oh, yes, well, her coolness approval does mean the world to me.  Oh, wait.  She's serious.  Shit.  "I never liked art, you know, but it was fun to watch you paint." 

"Try it - it is a lot of fun and art doesn't have to be stuffy.  It can be whatever you want it to be."

"Thanks."  Maybe she's not so bad.  Maybe she's just a nice, normal -

"Oooh!  Chica - don't look now, but here comes Mr. Summers.  He's totally crushing on you.  I say you should give him a go.  He's a hottie." 

Or not.  "I'm married, Jubilee."

"Yeah, but - "

"Hello, Scott."  I think it's best to shut Jubilee up at this point.  "Thanks for everything.  It was nice meeting you."

"Rogue - are you - are you sure that you're OK?  I mean, I, uh, if you ever want to talk about anything, I'm here." 

I know what he thinks.  It's what a lot of people think when they see me and Logan together.  I'm just some clueless kid in a relationship with a much older guy who's taking advantage of my naivete and who's running the show.  They don't really know us, so I don't usually let it bother me, but for some reason this *is* bothering me.  Weird.  Still, Scott means well.  And he's got a hell-bitch for a fiancée, so I'll take it easy on him.  "Thanks.  Good luck on your wedding to Jean."  And I mean good luck, buddy.  "I've got to get going.  Logan's here."

"Well, goodbye then.  It was a privilege to meet you.  Goodbye.  And remember what I said - call anytime."

I'll remember.  But I won't need to call.  "Bye."







"So you didn't like him?  'Cause, yeah, he's kinda dorky, but some people might go for that good- lookin', clean cut thing."  Just checkin'.  She's good 'bout tellin' me things, and she picked up on the fact that I was a little curious 'bout Summers so she made sure to tell me she didn't like him too much.  But I could see it, you know - her goin' for someone closer to her own age, some one with a mutation kinda like her skin, someone who knows somethin' 'bout art, 'bout what she does for a livin'.

"Nope.  I don't think I'll ever really like anybody else - not that way, not romantically.  That's why I'm married to you.  I just like you that way."  Aw.  She really means that, you can tell.  And I believe it - after what all she was put through livin' on the road, she don't trust people too easy.  And you gotta trust someone to wanna be with 'em like that.  I proved I can be trusted, not just when I saved her life, but by bein' good to her, by never screwin' her over or pushin' her to do things even though I maybe coulda.  I think she respects that.  "You, um, were kind of checking out his fiancee, though.  Anything there?"

"Nah.  You know me - I usedta like redheads, but now I got a brunette that beats 'em all hands down."  I gotta watch that.  Me lookin' at women - it's some kinda reflex.  It don't mean nothin'.  It's just a look.  I don't wanna make Marie uncomfortable, and I think she kinda knows that's all it is, but I gotta curb that tendency.  I wouldn't like it if she glanced at some guy's body even if it was nothin' at bottom. 

"Good." Oh-oh.  She said 'good' but somethin' else is in there, I can tell.  "Logan, do you ever wonder what people think, you know, when they see us together?"

"Not really.  Don't much care." 

"Do you think people ever wonder what you're doing with me?"

"Yeah, probably all the time.  They look at you and think - nice person, talented, smart, good-lookin'.  Then they look at me and think - dumb, vicious animal.  I bet lotsa people wonder what I'm doin' with ya."  I know how people see me.  Like I said, I don't much care.  Sometimes it even works to my advantage if -

"No, no, no - I mean - don't you think people wonder why you would pick me?  Especially when you first picked me up.  I was so young and so - so naïve.  You couldn't touch me then, and Sabretooth was chasing me.  It was before all the mutant stuff got sorted out and I was as obvious a mutant as you could find.  Do you think that people wondered why you were with me when I was so difficult, so much trouble?" 

"No." 

"No?  Why not?"

"Cause anybody can see you'd be worth the trouble."  Even a dumb animal like me.  "Nobody ever thought I was gettin' the bad end of this deal, darlin'.  They probably saw us then and thought you were gettin' screwed, literally and figuratively, by a bad-ass mother fucker, namely me.  They probably see us now and think you're stuck with some jerk who doesn't know shit about art and doesn't appreciate you.  What do we care what people think?"

She's thinkin' that over a minute before she'll answer.  I can tell a deep talk is headed my way.  That's actually one of the things I like 'bout her.  She's the only person who's ever attempted deep conversation with me - hell, she just always assumed I'm interested in talkin' and not outta my depth talkin' 'bout serious stuff.  She's definitely the only person who's done that.  "I do care what people think, a little.  And I'll tell you why - because people treat you according to how they see you.  The perceptions that they have about us influence their attitude and behavior toward us.  We should care what they think at the very least in order to be able to predict how they will respond to us, to be able to predict what kind of behavior they'll engage in toward us."

"Darlin', I can tell ya that right now.  Predictin' that ain't so hard.  People are scared of me and they like you."

"That's not always true.  Sometimes they're afraid of me too, of my skin.  Not everybody likes me.  And lots of people like you.  Women, especially." 

She's teasin' a little there but I got somethin' serious to say 'bout that.  "Women want me.  That's different.  Men - they want you but they like you too. You're not the kinda woman you just screw; you're the kinda woman you hang on to.  Me, I'm the kinda guy you screw - every woman I've ever met has expressed exactly no interest in havin' me hang around after they got what they wanted outta me.  There's a difference between 'like' and 'want' and, darlin', nobody likes me."

"They're really stupid then because I can't imagine not wanting to hang on to you."  This happens sometimes - she gets sad when we talk 'bout honest stuff, true stuff.  I get it - it's emotional - but I still hate seein' her sad. 

"Exactly."  I've learned to just not argue when Marie says nice things 'bout me like that.  She always wins those arguments and havin' 'em just leads to more Marie-sadness, so I avoid it altogether now.  And you know, it's actually easy, sometimes, to believe nice things lookin' into those big brown eyes.  "So why care about what stupid people think?"  There she goes - gettin' a grip on the emotions, preparin' to answer the question. 

"I guess I just want everyone to think well of us, but that's not going to be possible, I know that rationally.   I guess I want people to see us like I do, I want people to see things how they really are, not filtered through their own perceptions of us.  Those perceptions - they're entirely skewed by their own experiences, their own prejudices and biases and hopes and fears.  Those perceptions have so little to do with the actual truth sometimes.  I want people to see things how they really, honestly are, not how they're projecting them to be."

"Hmm."  Good point.  But you can't make people do that.  "Maybe it's like your paintin'."

"Like my painting?"

"Yeah.  All those different people you painted - they all see themselves one way or another.  A mom don't see her kid as some ugly mutie, she loves it.  A teacher don't see her kids as a buncha freaks, she sees 'em as just a class fulla little troublemakers, just like any other kids.  Other people lookin' at 'em from the outside in - well, some of 'em will see what those people see, but some of 'em will look at those same kids and go - damn ugly muties.  That perception ain't the truth, not by a long shot, but the person who sees it that way is gonna have a hard time seein' it any other way.  To them, they got the truth in their view.  I don't think anybody knows what the true, actual truth is, you know?  But some people get closer than others and the people who aren't close to it at all, well, they're the ones who're sufferin', the ones who can't see what's right in fronta their faces.   Sure, a lotta times, they make life hell for other people 'cause they're all wrongheaded.  But carin' what they think - well, to me, that's just kinda pointless.  It's a lotta work to change somebody's mind, even if you can do that.  I'm happier to spend my time not givin' a shit, and goin' on my merry way."

"Hmmm.  But if everybody did that, then we wouldn't have an amendment protecting mutant rights.  A lot of people spent their time, money, and blood to change people's minds.  If they hadn't, nothing would ever change or get better."

"I don't disagree with ya there.  And to be honest, I have a lotta respect for people who wanna take that on.  But, darlin', I ain't one of 'em.  I'm not a save-the-world kinda guy.  Basically, I care about me and mine.  That's it.  If I hafta deal with other people or do somethin' to protect what I got, well, I will.  But otherwise, fuck it.  I'm usin' all my time and energy on takin' care of you and me.  I'm consumed with it.  I wanna put everythin' I got towards that.  Other people and what they think - unless it interferes with that, I don't wanna spend any time on it."  I wonder what she thinks 'bout all that.  We can always be real honest, right down to brass tacks, with one another, but that's kinda selfish to say, to think that way.  Marie's a pretty unselfish person.  I don't think she thinks the same way I do 'bout this.

"Can I tell you something?  I kind of like that you think that way."  Whoa.  Wasn't expectin' that.  "I don't think I totally agree - I mean, I kind of think you ignore the outside world at your peril, and that your obligations go beyond your immediate family to your community, your country, all that - but I do agree with making the people closest to you the highest priority.  I think we should come first with each other and most of our time and energy should be spent there."  Hmm.  Interestin'.  She always manages to surprise me somehow durin' these talks.  That's kinda sexy, you know.  "I guess you're right about what people think of us.  That's not important enough to worry about or put effort into changing.  I guess we'll just live with people sometimes having the wrong ideas about us."  

"Guess you're right."  Enough talkin' for now, at least 'bout this.  Just one more thing.  "You know, I do know that you don't see me like everybody else.  Don't think that I get hurt or upset if other people think bad on me.  I know you don't, and that's the important thing.  Even if everybody back at that mansion thinks I'm an asshole, I don't really care as long as you don't think that too."

"Good.  I'm still working on my end of that."  I know.  I can tell that she does buy inta what people see her as sometimes.  It's still easier for her to believe the bad shit about her than the good.  A hundred people could tell her she's got talent - it's the one that craps all over her work that sticks with her, it's that one she counts the most.  It's fucked up, and I think she knows that.  It's just a matter of workin' it out, and she's at a disadvantage there.  It was easier for me to work out 'cause I had her tellin' me the good things.  She does a damn good job of that.  Marie, she's only pretty much got me and Moonbeam and we both do kinda a half-assed job of it.  Things don't always come out right and I don't always catch when she needs some reassurance.  That's what I gotta work on.  "But you know, maybe we should table the talk for now.  We're coming up on a town and I'm hungry for dinner.  We've got tons of money, so I say we find the best restaurant in town and get the biggest steaks they have.  What do you think?"

"I like how you think, darlin'.  We got the same perspective on that." 

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives