All the Small Things


Title:  All the Small Things
Author:  Terri
E-mail:  xgrrl26@yahoo.com
Rating:  R
Disclaimer:  I don't own them.  Darn.
Archive:  WRFA, Mutual Admiration, Peep Hut - anyone else, please ask :)
Feedback:  Please!  With a cherry on top?  Good, bad, and ugly welcome
Summary:  Logan and Rogue's relationship trips itself up on the little things, and then they have to figure out how to fix it.
Comments:  Unbetaed, so don't blame Keli for errors therein.  I got diverted by Vic's dialogue challenge.  I really am working on the revenge on Gary follow up to Rougher Ride.  Really.  But this nice little peep, one of those orange halloweeny ones, jumped up onto my computer and started wondering out loud how two people with limited relationship skills might fare after a huge heap of stress has been dumped on them. It started wondering what would happen if Rogue isn't the fairly emotionally-skilled person I usually write her as.  Damn peep.  And here I thought I was safe after Easter was over

--------------------------------------------------------


"Hey, there you are."

"Mph."

"I was looking for you."

"Why?"

"I thought we were going to do something together tonight."

"Mph."

"Besides, I like to spend every available moment basking in your sunny disposition."

"I'm not in the mood, Marie."

"Um, OK."

"I'm goin' for a walk."

"I don't suppose you want company."

"No."







"Hi."

"Mph."

"Uh, no mood improvement from the walk, I see."

"Mph."

"Well, I just wanted to, um, check in, so I'll just - I guess I'll just leave you alone now."

"Yeah."

"Good night."

"Mph."







"Hey."

"Whaddya want, Marie?"

"I, uh, just wanted to say 'hey.'  And to, you know, not in any way contribute to your bad mood."

"Mph."

"Right.  Seeing as how I'm failing at that miserably, I'll, uh, withdraw the 'hey' and go back to my room now."

"Yeah."

"Logan - are you - are you all right?"

"Just go away, kid, OK?  I don't wanna talk now."

"Right.  OK.  Uh, bye, then."

"Mph."







"So then I told Bobby what Kitty said and he said - oh, uh, hi, Logan."

"Mph."

"I'm outta here, chica.  Later."

"Yeah.  Bye, Jubes.  Um, I haven't seen you around much the past couple of days."

"Don't want company."

"OK."

"What?"

"What?"

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Me?  Nothing's wrong with me."

"You said that real strange, that 'OK.'"

"Sorry.  I'll just go."

"Fine."







"What're you doin' in here?"

"Waiting for you.  I - I wanted to talk and you've been kind of avoiding me lately.  I knew you'd come back to your room eventually."

"Look, Marie, I ain't got the time for this."

"It won't take long.  I just want to know what - what I did wrong."

"What?"

"What I did to make you mad at me - I just want to know what it is."

"What the hell makes you think I'm mad at you?"

"Oh, you know, the grumpiness, the avoiding, the not wanting to talk and the hating every second you have to spend in my presence.  Those things."

"What?"

"I figure I must've done something, and I just - I'd kind of like to know what it is."

"You didn't do nothin'."

"Um, look, I know - it's, uh, kind of clear that you don't want me around you anymore, so I'm not - not going to try to fix it and keep running after you like some little puppy dog or anything.  I just want to know what it is for, you know, future reference.  So that the next time someone, uh, wants to be my friend I can not do it again."

"I dunno what to say."

"Just say the truth.  I know - I know I'm crying a little, but really, the truth would be best here.  Don't - don't sugar coat it, I should know."

"You didn't do nothin' wrong."

"Right.  OK.  Well, um, I'm just going to head back to my room then.  I guess I'll - I'll figure it out myself or something.  Bye."

"I said you didn't do nothin' wrong."

"Right.  Bye then."








"Hey."

"Hey.  Sorry.  I'll be done in here in a second.  I just wanted a sandwich.  Jubes and I missed dinner because - uh, sorry.  Sorry.  I'll be out of your way in a second."

"Haven't seen ya all month."

"Right.  And this is - this is just an accident.  I'm almost - there.  I'm done."

"Whaddya mean, 'accident'?"

"I didn't mean to be in the kitchen when you wanted to be here.  I didn't know you were coming down.  Sometimes your sense of smell kicks in but sometimes it doesn't.  Sorry."

"Look, you can - you can be in the kitchen.  I'm not - "

"I've got to go.  Bye, Logan."






"Marie?  Marie, you in there?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Do you wanna open the door?"

"Sure.  Sure.  Is there something you want?"

"Yeah."

"Well, OK.  Do you - do you want to tell me what it is or just stand in the doorway?"

"Can I come in and sit down a second?"

"Sure."

"I haven't seen ya for the past two weeks."

"Right."

"Why not?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you - every time I go somewhere you leave.  You usedta come find me almost every day.  Now I don't see ya for weeks at a time."

"Right.."

"Why is that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Hmph.  I'm bein' as clear as possible here, Marie.  I wanna know why it is you don't talk to me anymore."

"You - I came to your room that night and you wanted me to leave you alone.  I'm leaving you alone."

"I didn't say to leave me alone.  I didn't say that."

"You didn't have to come right out and say it.  I mean, I'm not stupid."

"I didn't say you were stupid."

"Well, no, but you implied - "

"Look, all I'm sayin' is you usedta talk to me and now you don't.  All I wanna know is why that is.  'Cause Scooter has some dumbass theory that you're mad at me for somethin'."

"I'm not mad at you."

"Well, I told him that.  Dumbass."

"Uh"

"So why then?"

"Why what?"

"If you're not mad, then why are you, you know.."

"Look, Logan, I know - I know what you think, but I'm not - I'm not some hopelessly crushing little kid that trails after you no matter how much you push me away.  I'm not like that.  I can take a hint.  I mean, I have some pride."

"A hint?"

"Yeah.  So is that it?"

"Marie, what're you talkin' about?"

"Is this some kind of joke, is that it?  Some fun little game to play with Marie?  Because I could really skip it, OK?  I could really just skip it this time."

"I have no idea what - "

"Fine.  Fine.  You've had your fun.  Ha, ha.  Great.  Now, go.  There's the door.  Bye."

"What joke, what - "

"Enough, OK?  Just - enough.  Go back to your room and laugh your ass off, but leave me alone right now."

"I ain't jokin'."

"Whatever.  Just get out, OK?  I want to be alone."

"But - "

"Get.  Out."

"But - "

"Now."









"You're still wearin' the tags."

"Logan!  God, you scared the crap out of me!  I thought I was all alone out here."

"Mph."

"I thought you didn't like this lake."

"I don't."

"Well, I didn't think I'd be a problem for you out here.  I didn't think you'd come here."

"Well, I did come here."

"Right.  I'll just get going, then.  God forbid I should impair your lake-watching.  Christ."

"I said - you're still wearin' the tags."

"Yeah."

"I get that you're mad at me, Marie.  I get it.  I think I even know why.  But I dunno why you're still wearin' the tags if you're as mad as everybody says."

"It's none of your business."

"My tags, my business."

"Don't."

"Fuck.  That - that didn't come out right.  None of that came out right."

"No, no I think it did.  And do you know what?  You can't have them back, Logan, you can't.  You gave them to me and they're mine now.  So just deal with that."

"I don't wanna take 'em back."

"Right."

"Look, none of that came out good.  I didn't mean to - "

"I've got to go, Logan."

"Wait, Marie - "

"Don't touch me!  Don't touch me!"

"Jesus, what - "

"I don't want you touching me!"

"Marie - "

"Leave me alone!"










"What are you doing here?"

"Knew you'd come back to your room eventually."

"Just get out, OK?  I'm tired."

"I wanna talk."

"I don't."

"What I said before by the lake, that came out bad.  I meant to say that I know I've been an asshole to you and I know you're mad and you should be."

"But you still want to know why I'm wearing the tags, don't you?"

"I just wanna - "

"Well, fine, I'll tell you.  You want to know so bad that you've actually forced yourself to seek me out *and* spend a few moments with me, so I'll tell you.  It's a reminder.  It's a reminder that you used to give a shit, OK?  It's a reminder that someone once gave enough of a shit about me to help me and to look out for me a little bit.  That's all.  It's not - I'm not hanging on to your promise, I'm not mooning over you, I've stopped wishing for things I'll never, ever have.  I just want one tangible reminder that, for a little while, someone gave a damn about me.  I don't think that's too much to ask and I'm keeping them.  You can't have them back."

"I - I don't want 'em back."

"Great.  Now get out, OK?  I'm tired."

"Look, kid, I think we'd better talk."

"That sounds so mocking to me now.  'Kid.'  I wish."

"What?"

"Nothing.  Just go, Logan.  You got your answer.  You and the rest of the x-men can shake your heads in pity and fret over poor pathetic little Rogue for the rest of the night.  I'm sure that'll be tons of fun.  So go."

"I don't wanna go."

"I want you to."

"Marie, we gotta talk."

"That's funny coming from you."

"Kid - "

"I'm not a kid.  I'm not."

"Right.  Right."

"Don't patronize me.  You don't even know - "

"What?  I don't even know what?"

"Nothing."

"No, tell me."

"It's nothing."

"Tell me, Marie, come on."

".I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have said all that.  You should go now."

"I hurt you and I'm sorry, but I was goin' through a lotta shit.  I found out some things about my past and they weren't pretty.  I didn't mean to 'cause all this shit between us."

"Yeah.  Yeah, you did, Logan.  You did.  Maybe you didn't wake up in the morning and think - yes, today I will trash my relationship with Rogue, but you didn't care what happened to our relationship.  And why should you?  I'm just some kid, constantly a pain in your ass, embarrassing you by having a crush on you, always underneath your feet, always in the way.  Do you want to know something?  I'm not a kid.  Do you honestly think that eight months on the road alone lets you hang onto any kind of innocence?  You should know better than that, Logan, you really should.  But I *wanted* to be a kid again, at least a little, and when I met you I thought it would be safe to be that way for a while again.  I thought I could be silly and act silly and just - just be seventeen again for a while.  Inside, I'm not - I don't tease, I don't play, I'm not light.  But I felt like I could be that way with you and so I was.  It was a mistake.  It was a big mistake.  I should've never let myself do that.  Maybe if I'd have been all serious and grave and world-weary, you'd have taken me seriously.  God, I just wanted.."

"Marie.."

"Don't.  Don't.  Just stay over there."

"Right.  Sorry."

"I mean it, don't."

"I'm not."

"Could you just go now?"

"Yeah.  Yeah, I will, but, Marie - I don't wanna - I don't wanna go on this way, with things like this between us.  We should fix it."

"It's fine."

"No, it ain't."

"I meant - it doesn't matter."

"Yeah, it does.  It matters to me."

"Just - just go, Logan, please."

"I'll come back later."

"Whatever.  Just go now."








"I liked it when you did stuff like that."

"It was stupid.  And childish."

"Nah.  It was - it was Marie-ish."

"Well, it's not anymore.  The new Marie does not play in the snow.  She cleans the closet when the inclement weather forces her to change her original plan of attending her night class."

"I kinda liked the snow angels."

"You bitched about getting snow down your pants every single time."

"That was part of the fun, though - you were amused by my bitchin'.  You knew it was justI dunno.  You put up with me."

"You put up with a lot from me too."

"Nah."

"Yeah, you did.  I almost killed you twice and then I stifled you to death, following you around all the time, being stupid."

"Stop sayin' that.  I never thought you were stupid."

"You're alone in that assessment, then."

"That's not true - nobody thinks you're stupid."

"Do you think I should keep these shoes?  I snagged them from the second-hand pile but they're not very practical.  The heel's too high.  What do you think?"

"Whatever you think.  They're your shoes."

"Right.  And I think they're not my shoes anymore.  They can go."

"Come on, come outside with me, just for a little bit."

"No, go on ahead.  I should really finish this."

"I don't wanna go by myself."

"Gee, I thought you liked to do things by yourself."

"."

"Sorry.  That was a cheap shot.  Sorry."

"You're still mad."

"I guess a little.  But that was still out of line.  I said to forget it, and we should."

"You changed 'cause of it, though.  You changed, and you can't forget that."

"I changed for the better.  No more puppy dog Rogue.  No more silly Rogue.  No more doormat Rogue.  That's all good."

"I never thought you were any of those things."

"Oh, come on."

"I didn't."

"What did you think I was, then?"

"Special."

"In the I-ride-the-short-bus-to-school way, right?"

"Uh.."

"Never mind.  I get it."

"No, I don't think ya do.  Maybe special's not the right word.  Maybe - maybe precious."

"Precious?"

"Uh-huh."

"Well.well, I'm not that anymore either.  You don't have to go risking your life or anything ever again because I'm not like that anymore either.  I'm not something you have to protect or take care of.  I'm not a stupid, defenseless kid.  No more.  I'm the Rogue, sugar, and I'm nobody's precious."

"You still wear the tags."

"I explained that and I don't want to talk about it again."

"As long as you have 'em, you'll always be my Marie, at least part of ya.  You'll always be my Marie, not the Rogue."

"Oh.  Well, there was a time when that would've meant a lot to me.  It's - it's nice of you to say."

"Whatever I did to hurt you, Marie, it's not - I'm not worth doin' this over, throwin' away the best parts of you.  I ain't worth it, not by a long shot."

"You taught me a lesson, that's all, Logan.  Don't make this some big thing to torture yourself over.  People change."

"I liked ya better the way you were."

"My personality isn't made to order for you, Logan.  Cope.  You know, you're not the only one going through things.  I've got - never mind."

"What?  You've got what?"

"I've got a lot of closet cleaning to do."








"I don't want to have a big talk about it.  It's not really a big deal."

"It's a big fuckin' deal to me!"

"Everything turned out OK."

"You coulda fuckin' gotten yourself killed!  Just how the hell would that have been OK, huh?"

"I didn't get killed and I completed the mission successfully."

"You don't got no business goin' on missions, Marie.  You're - "

"Just a kid?  I thought we had this discussion."

"I was gonna say that you're important to me and I don't wanna see you get hurt.  You shoulda at least fuckin' told me so that I could go along and watch out for ya."

"It was an undercover mission in a girls' school.  You wouldn't have passed for a fifteen year old girl."

"No more of this, OK?  Whatever they ask you, no more."

"That's not up to you.  It's not your decision."

"Let's go away from here, huh?  You and me.  We could even go to Alaska if you wanna."

"What?"

"Let's just get outta here and start all over.  Just you and me.  C'mon.  Let's just throw some stuff in the truck and go.  I can be packed in five minutes."

"What are you talking about, Logan?"

"I don't like this, OK?  I don't like it.  Marie, why do ya think I left ya here in the first place?"

"Because you didn't want to have to - "

"Because I wanted you to get to be a kid too, OK?  You were - there was still somethin' alive in you and I wanted to give that a chance.  I don't like it this way.  I didn't bring you here to be some hardass x-man.  You never smile anymore.  You haven't laughed in months.  That's not what I wanted for you."

"I'm sorry, but I just - I can't keep that going.  It takes too much energy and it hurts too much and it's not - it's not safe.  I just can't be like that anymore."

"You could if we went away.  We'll just get in the truck and pretend that - that none of this shit ever happened.  We can do that.  We can - "

"I'm sure we could, Logan, but it wouldn't be - it's just not right.  It's not just you and me. It's me and - and all the stuff that got pushed into my head, all the stuff I've been through, all the stuff with Magneto and everything else.  It's not - that night I came to find you and you went for a walk, I was already at the end of my rope.  It's not what you did.  It was just the trigger.  There's all this stuff inside me, Logan, and it's hard to deal with, really hard.  It's nothing to smile or laugh about and before, when I could do that for a little while - well, deep inside the other things never went away.  It's a lot to deal with and nobody's - nobody ever offered to talk or anything like that.  You know, not that I would expect you to, but the school has doctors, counselors, teachers - nobody ever asked if I was OK.  I wasn't.  I could've gone to them, but I just - I was already a pain in the ass and everything that happened, everything I put them through - if Magneto hadn't been after me, then the Professor wouldn't have gotten hurt, you wouldn't have gotten hurt and I just - I can't ask for anything more from them.   I'm rambling.  I'm not making sense.  I'm sorry."

"I never asked if you wanted to talk about it either."

"I didn't expect you to.  Sometimes it was enough just to take my mind off of it a little."

"Do you wanna talk about it now?"

"No.  No."

"I didn't think - I found out all that shit about me and what kinda monster I was and I thought I was doin' right by you by stayin' here with you, by not runnin'.  Here I was just fuckin' up."

"No, I'm glad you stayed."

"I just gave you more damn grief."

".."

"Shit."

"Look, I'm sorry.  I don't know what to say to that.  I don't know what to say that's comforting yet true."

"Just go with true, then."

"Yeah, it felt like you pulled the rug out from under me.  You were what I counted on.  And that's - it's not your fault - it's mine, for expecting you to always be there and to be able to deal with me and my multitude of issues."

"I never hadta 'deal' with you.  I always - "

"Stop it.  Just stop it, Logan.  You don't have to reassure me all the time.  You don't have to always be making it up to me.  It's in the past.  It's over."

"It's not over yet.  You're in the middle and so am I.  We're not through all the shit we got to deal with yet."

"Well, thanks for that little ray of sunshine.  Picked me right up."







"Sorry.  I didn't mean to do that."

"Uh, it's all right.  I kinda don't get it, but it's all right."

"It's Erik.  Anytime I hear the sound of trains, I get jumpy and anytime I have to get on one, he kind of takes over and freaks out.  I didn't mean to grab onto the seat like that."

"Why trains?"

"The holocaust.  Death camps.  They were - he was taken in a train and then transferred to another one in a train.  He had to ride with people who died on the way.  The smell was so - uh, sorry.  TMI."

"Nah, it's all right.  That - that makes sense. I guess I forget sometimes that you got all that in your head.  I get it now."

"Yeah, well, I bet the conductor still doesn't get it.  I can just see it - 'Crazy Mutie Woman Freaks Out and Refuses to Leave Train, more details on Action News at Five.'"

"Why'd you agree to take the train if it bothers you that much?"

"I thought I could handle it." 

"Oh."

"Sorry."

"It's fine, but I wish - "

"What?  You wish what?"

"I wish you didn't feel like you hafta push yourself like that all the time."

"But I do.  If I'm ever going to get better, I do.  I have to try to deal with it somehow."

"But you don't hafta throw yourself into it all at once."

"I don't know any other way.  I don't know how to do things halfway."

"Well, I don't exactly know how to do that either, but there's gotta be some easier way."

"Hey, let's not talk about all this now.  Let's just - we're supposed to be going into the city and having a good time.  Let's just forget about it and go to the museum, OK?  You said we should do something fun together, so let's just do that."

"Marie, I think maybe we should, you know, talk about - "

"Logan, please?"

"Yeah, OK."







"Logan?"

"Come in."

"Sorry.  Um, sorry.  You were already asleep."

"No - hey - wait!  Wait.  Come in, it's OK."

"I don't want to wake you up."

"It's OK, come in.  I got some gloves around here somewhere.  Come on in, sit down."

"I - I should really just - "

"Marie, come on.  Come over here."

"O-OK."

"Bad dreams?"

"Yeah.  Worse than usual this time.  I'm sorry."

"I should be the one apologizin' here, kid.  I gave 'em to ya."

"They're not all yours.  Some are Magneto's, some are mine.  It's not all your fault."

"Still, I - "

"You shouldn't feel bad about it, OK?  Besides, I just - I don't want to always make you feel bad.  I hate it that you look at me and think - there's Rogue, who I have hurt or there's Rogue, who hurts me.  I hate it that you associate all these bad things with me."

""

"Sorry.  I didn't mean to get into all that.  I'll go."

"No.  No, Marie.  Come on, lay down with me a little.  I'm tryin' - I'm tryin' to get how to say it right in my head before it comes out.  Come on, lay down here with me.  You usedta feel a lot better when you could fall asleep over here.  Ya know, as much as I hate that you got the nightmares from me, I loved bein' able to get you through 'em."

"You always did do a good job of that."

"It's not that I look at you and think bad things, I don't.  You're good things to me, I think of good things.  But I miss how open you usedta be with me and how much lighter you felt.  I know I did stuff that made that go away - yeah, maybe it wasn't all me, but you said yourself that I was the trigger.  If I look sad when I look at you it's 'cause of that - 'cause I'm pissed at myself for thinkin' 'bout me and all my problems when I shoulda paid some damn attention to what you were goin' through.  I shoulda known you were goin' through a lot and that you needed me."

"The same goes for me, you know.  I was all wrapped up in my own little trauma that I couldn't help you deal with what you found out.  I'm sorry for that."

"You don't hafta be.  It's just - let's just call it even and go on, OK?  Let's just try to get back a little of the good stuff and go on."

"OK."

"OK?"

"Yeah."

"You sure?  I mean, just like that, OK?"

"Do you want me to change my answer?"

"No.  No I don't.  I'll tell ya what I do want, though.  I wantcha to stay here tonight, all right?  Just fall asleep over here like you usedta sometimes.  I gotcha."

"OK."

"Hey, Marie - I know it looked like it sometimes, but you never bothered me by bein' around, not really.  I liked havin' ya where I could always see ya, you know?  I like havin' you close enough so that I can smell what's goin' on with you.  Still do."

"Thanks.  Thanks for telling me that, Logan.  It helped."

"Good.  Get some sleep now, all right?"








"Mph.  What time is it?"

"Too early to get outta bed."

"The sun's up."

"Yeah."

"Is it - does that clock actually say 12:45?"

"Dunno.  Not gonna move to look."

"We slept until 12:45."

"Yeah."

"I missed my classes."

"Mph."

"Scott's going to pitch a fit."

"Just tell him you were in here with me."

"And this will ameliorate the fit-pitching how?"

"Heh."

"Quit shaking the bed."

"Wanna go back to sleep then?"

"Yeah.  I haven't slept this good in a long time."

"Haven't come over in a coupla months.  Hell, the bed didn't even smell like you at all anymore.  Good thing you decided to come over last night.  You always sleep better over here and so do I."

"I always thought it made you nervous.  I'd wake up sometimes and you'd be just looking at me."

"Just watchin' ya."

"Making sure my skin was covered?"

"Nah.  Makin' sure you were sleepin' OK, not havin' bad dreams or anythin'."

"You stayed awake and watched me for signs of bad dreams?"

"Yeah.  If I rub your head when your eyes start goin' back and forth real fast under your lids and you start breathin' fast, you calm down and go back inta deep sleep."

"And you just stay up and watch for that?"

"I sleep sometimes too.  You usually start movin' around and stuff like that before ya start havin' the bad dreams.  Wakes me up and then I keep a look out."

"That's really - that's really sweet."

"Mph.  Less talkin', more sleepin'."








"It's working, you know."

"What is?"

"All this stuff you've been doing.  Your plan to make me have fun.  Look at me.  I've got cookie dough all over me."

"Well, that's your fault there, darlin'.  You started it."

"I was very innocently baking my cookies when you got all grabby and started stealing the batter."

"It was too good to pass up."

"Oh, I'm a horrible cook."

"Yeah, you are, generally speakin', but you make good cookies."

"I'm going to get you for that."

"Hey!"

"You asked for it!"

"I got enough in my hair as it is, woman.  That's it.  You're gonna get it now."

"Hey!  That's no fair!"

"Heh."

"You know, we're never going to get any cookies baked like this."

"Yeah.  But it's good to see ya like this again."

"Covered in sugar cookie dough?"

"Laughin'."







"So you're saying that you don't want to talk about it in any way, shape, or form, and not only do you not want to talk about it with me, you don't want to talk to Jean or the Professor or anyone else."

"Yep."

"Even if you don't want to tell the details, it might help to talk about your feelings about it."

"."

"Oh, don't give me that eyebrow, I know you have feelings.  You can talk to me about that if you want.  Or - or you know, someone else."

"There's not a lot to talk about there.  I just feel really pissed off.  I'm still so mad that I don't feel anythin' else."

"I'm sorry.  Whatever they did, you didn't deserve it."

"I dunno if I did or not.  I dunno what I was like before."

"I can't imagine that you were a bad person."

"I can.  Marie, I know you kinda don't see it sometimes, but I'm pretty much a bad person now.  I did a good thing by helpin' you out, but even that was for selfish reasons.  I let you hop in the truck with me 'cause I didn't wanna feel bad about leavin' some defenseless kid to freeze herself to death by the side of the road.  I saved your life only 'cause I stabbed ya in the first place, and then I did it again only 'cause I wanted - *I* wanted - to have ya around."

"That's not selfish, not really."

"Kinda is."

"Look, I don't know a lot about emotional stuff or how to have a healthy relationship or any of that.  I mean, I'm sure that's pretty obvious by now.  But I know for sure that you've been really good to me.  And that you're a good person.  I have you in my head and I know that for sure.  How to act, how to learn to live with one another, that's where I get a little lost.  But I know you're good."

"Maybe some parts of me are.  Sometimes I feel like that's true."

"When?  When do you feel like that?"

"When you smile at me.  When I have you close and I'm watchin' out for you.  When you're happy and I did somethin' to make that happen, I guess."

"It can't all revolve around me.  I don't think that's really healthy." 

"It's the only time I've felt it.  I dunno.  I dunno if it's unhealthy.  It's how it is, though."

"Isn't - aren't feelings of goodness or happiness or whatever supposed to come from inside you?  Don't they always say you can't count on other people to make you happy?"

"Dunno.  Is it like that for you?  Are you happy from inside?"

"Occasionally.  I can remember two, maybe three times that I felt happy - just me, not because of anything related to anyone else.  Two or three times in almost eighteen years.  Huh.  I guess that's not really a good ratio."

"Hmph.  What does make you happy?"

"When you show that you like me.  When you laugh with me.   When I wake up and you're all wrapped around me.  You.  I guess it's you, mostly.  And my friends too - I like having fun with them too, but you're - you make it fuller or deeper or something, more so than anyone else."

"Yeah.  That's it."

"Yeah."

"And you're sayin' that's not right or not healthy?"

"I'm saying that that's what the mental health professionals tend to say, yes."

"You sure they're right?"

"Actually, not really, but I think there is something to that."

"Hmph."

"What do you think?"

"I think you did a pretty good job of gettin' me to talk about it, kid."








"Hang on darlin'.   Gotta, uh, head to the bathroom for a sec."

"Wait - do you want me to, um, do that for you?"

"No.  No, kid."

"Oh.  Sorry.  Sorry."

"Hey, don't - don't get upset, Marie.  Look at me.  Roll back over."

"Sorry."

"It's OK.  I just don't want - I kinda feel like it's not right, not yet, not right now."

"You don't want me?"

"I didn't say that."

"What, then?"

"We're not - we're just gettin' to be close again and this would just - just fuck it all up."

"I don't think so.  I mean, it doesn't have to."

"Let's finish fixin' this first, OK?"

"OK."

"Marie?"

"It's OK."

"Don't say it's OK if it's not.  We agreed to that, right?"

"OK, it's not OK.  It feels like - you're rejecting me and I don't like that."

"I ain't rejectin' you."

"You don't want me to touch you.  You don't want me to touch you with my skin.  You don't think I'm attractive.  You're thinking about someone else when you're - when you get excited.  You still think I'm just a stupid little kid or something.  You don't want me.  You don't want *me*, who I am."

"None of that's what's really goin' on."

"What is going on?"

"I wantcha.  I wanna be close to you.  I get excited when you're close to me.  It's all you makin' that reaction in me.  But I wanna be careful.  I can see some light at the end of the tunnel for us, and I wanna get through this and have a really good, really solid thing before we go tryin' somethin' else.  That's what I'm thinkin'."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

"OK.  OK, then."

"Feel better?"

"Yeah.  Thanks."

"Good.  Stay there, OK?  I'll be out in a sec."

"Hey - Logan?  Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure, kid."

"Do you ever, um, think about me when you're doing that?"

"Yeah."

"I think about you too, you know, then.  Actually, it's always you."

"Same here."

"Thanks, Logan."

"Yep.  Might take a coupla minutes now."








"But I really, really, reeeeeaaaaallllly want to."

"It's dangerous."

"Oh, it'll be fun.  You like violence and I like shoes and the once-a-year shoe sale at Macy's promises both.  I mean, you should see those women go at it.  Nothing brings out the dark side like a pair of $90 Kenneth Coles reduced by 75%."

"I still say there's a good chance of me losin' it.  Shoppin' - that can actually kill a guy, you know.  There's been studies done and everythin'.  It's actually the leadin' cause of death among men between the ages of 25 and 35."

"Well, you're a *lot* older than that so you're safe."

"Just for that, you're on your own if one of those women gets rough."

"I can handle it.  Sure, I've faced dangerous mutants, but I reach a whole new level of bad-assedness when someone threatens my shoe procurement."

"I'm not gettin' in your way."

"Smart man."






"So, you're sure now."

"I am."

"Things are good, things are solid, and we're both ready."

"I think so.  Whaddya think?"

"I think it's a good time.  I mean, I'm done with school, I'm eighteen, and we've been - it's felt really, really good between us lately."

"Yeah."

"And I do still want to go to Alaska.  And we're both long overdue for a vacation, I think."

"Yeah."

"Just so we're clear, uh, you're thinking that maybe some stuff, stuff leading to decreased trips to the bathroom for a little private time for you, is going to commence."

"It's a go whenever you're ready.  You just give me a sign."

"A sign?"

"Yeah."

"Like...maybe a  wave or a secret handshake or a - "

"A 'hey, Logan, how about now?' will do, kid."

"OK.  Hey, Logan, how about now?"

"Now?  Right now?"

"Sure, why not?"

"I thought you'd wanna, I dunno, have it be all romantic or somethin'.  I was thinkin' our first night outta the mansion, maybe in the camper or we could find a spot and roll the sleepin' bags out, be underneath the stars.  I kinda wanna have it be, I dunno, nice."

"Those are just the little things, Logan, they don't really matter.  The most important thing is that I'll be with you."

"Yeah, I know.  But the little things matter some.  And I wanna do everythin' right."

"OK.  OK, then.  The first night out, underneath the stars."

"And not all the stuff, just - just some stuff.  We got time."

"OK."

"And we'll be careful, but I don't wanna have you thinkin' that - that you can't be naked.  We're gonna do that."

"OK."

"And we're gonna make it light, and you know, fun, 'cause it's supposedta be pleasurable and I wanna make sure it's right for you, good."

"I see that you have a plan."

"Yeah."

"Can I contribute to this plan?"

"Sure, if you wanna."

"I do.  My contribution is that I think we should stop talking and expedite the packing process so we can get this show on the road."

"Good idea."

"I'm full of them."

"You're smilin'."

"So are you."

"It's just a little one."

"So is mine."

"Yeah, but I like it."

"Me too."

 
Back To The Index   Back To The Archives